NINE

I'm Telling You

Hyunwoo was doing his best to avoid being left alone with him but that didn’t mean Changkyun couldn’t stay glued to his side whenever they were together as a group. And he needed to stay glued to his side because pregnant or not Hyunwoo was doing a terrible job of looking after himself, he was constantly having to remind him to drink water during rehearsals and performances, to eat even though he wasn’t hungry and to rest when had the chance.

It was a couple of hours before the start of their next show, they had nothing much to do while the crew made some last minute changes to the lighting and it was one of the rare occasions that Changkyun had managed to convince Hyunwoo to actually sit down. Usually he’d use any lull in preparations as an oppurtunity to practice some more, ignoring Changkyun’s suggestions to just take a break. But this time hadn’t put up a fight at all, when Changkyun had suggested he rest before the show he’d collapsed onto the nearest couch and promptly fallen asleep. 

Changkyun, keeping an eye on him from his own seat at the other side of the room, watched the steady rise and fall of his chest and took in the frown that marred his face even in sleep. He was obviously exhausted. Working so hard when he was pregnant (and the more Changkyun thought about it the more sure he became that he was) couldn’t be good for him, or for the baby. He’d managed to catch Hyunwoo on his own the day before, it had only been for a couple of minutes and he’d tried to tell him that he needed to take better care of himself but Hyunwoo, still very much in denial, had immediately shut the conversation down.

Not being able to get through to him was frustrating but more than that Hyunwoo’s refusal to listen and start looking after himself was dangerous. If he kept it up he might end up in hospital or worse and Changkyun would be partly responsible because he hadn’t been able to make him see sense before things got that far.

He just didn’t know what to do. He’d considered asking for help, recruiting some kind of back-up but there weren’t many people he could ask. He’d thought about bringing Minhyuk on board, he’d seemed worried lately too but there was a high chance he’d do the sensible thing and run and tell management. He could always do the sensible thing and tell them himself but he didn’t think Hyunwoo would ever forgive him if he did. 

His second option was Jooheon and it was an option he’d seriously considered. Jooheon had been the one to figure out Hyunwoo was dating someone in the first place so the news might come as less of a shock to him. And Changkyun was sure Jooheon would keep it to himself if he asked him too. In the end though he’d decided against it. Jooheon hadn’t been in the best mood, Changkyun didn’t know why but he was being kind of snappish with him. Maybe it was the pressure of performing on stage for their fans night after night that was getting to him. Jooheon was the kind of person who always gave 100% no matter how tired he was so it wouldn’t surprise him if that’s what it was.

And then there was the main reason he hadn’t asked anyone for help yet.

It wasn’t his secret to tell.

If Hyunwoo was pregnant it was up to him to let other people know. But how he was going to convince him to tell anyone else when he wouldn’t even admit it to himself, Changkyun had no idea.

 

~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

Just the other day Jooheon had been telling him he’d missed his company and now they were actually sharing a room again and he’d spent more time chatting to Kihyun, who’d come knocking on their door because he was lonely and too hyped up from their concert to sleep, than he’d spent talking to him. He and Kihyun were currently sitting together in the middle of his bed, laptop open in front of them as they watched some variety show while Changkyun sat pretending to read a book on his own bed, feeling kind of left out.

Kihyun had asked him to join them but it was Jooheon’s bed and Jooheon’s laptop they were using meaning it was up to him to ask, so he’d politely declined. But it was okay. He had things to think about anyway, namely what he was going to do about Hyunwoo. Talking to him seemed like a good starting point and he thought he might have worked out a way to do that. This time Kihyun was the one who’d been lucky enough to get Hyunwoo for a roommate, that was why he’d come looking for company. As usual, after unpacking, Hyunwoo had gone straight to the gym (something Changkyun wasn’t too happy about, he just hoped he wasn’t overdoing it) leaving Kihyun alone.

Changkyun was hoping that Kihyun would decide that going back to his own room when he was done watching variety shows was too much hard work and ask them if he could just stay there. That would give him a chance at catching Hyunwoo alone when he got back from the gym, for more than a couple of minutes this time.

And sure enough, ten minutes later Kihyun was falling back against Jooheon’s pillows with a sigh. “I’m so tired.” He said. Apparently his adrenaline rush from earlier was wearing off. “Can I crash here?”

“Go for it.” Jooheon told him, closing his laptop and sliding it onto his bedside table.

Spotting his chance Changkyun dropped his book and hopped up from his bed. He ped his suitcase and pulled out a hoody. He put it on.

“Where are you going?” Kihyun asked sleepily.

“Hyungwon hyung wanted to borrow this when I was done.” Changkyun told him, picking his book back up. “I’ll be back soon.” He assured him and he slipped his shoes on and headed for the door. He noticed his wallet and Kihyun’s key card on the dresser and he swiped them on his way past, hoping Kihyun was too tired to notice.

Kihyun didn’t say a word and Changkyun made it out into the hotel corridor without incident. 

Hyunwoo was probably still in the gym so there was no point going straight to his room. And even if he was in his room Changkyun doubted he’d be able to get him to listen to him anyway. He needed some kind of push to make him face up to what was happening and with his wallet in hand Changkyun had an idea of what he could do.

 

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

 

He’d thought about pulling his hood up as he’d entered the store but he’d quickly decided he would just draw more attention to himself that way. He’d have to hope the fact he was make-up free and wearing nondescript clothing would stop people recognising him. He’d glanced at the employee behind the counter as he’d come in and he looked like he was in his fifties so really he should be safe there. They didn't have many fifty year old fans. He was just keeping his fingers crossed that nobody else was going to come in.

But there wasn’t much he could about that. He needed to focus on what he’d come in for in the first place. Which was finding and buying a pregnancy test. He’d found the family planning shelves no problem. What he was having trouble with was choosing which test to buy. There were about a dozen different boxes on the shelf in front of him.

He chewed on his bottom lip as he looked them over. Surely they all worked pretty much the same way. You peed on a stick and it told you if you were pregnant or not. Why there was such a difference between the price of cheapest and the most expensive he didn’t know. He’d go for a midrange one he decided. He was positive the most expensive ones were overpriced but there was a chance the cheap ones might not be as accurate and he didn’t want to risk a false negative.

He was about to pick up one of the boxes so he could read the back when he heard someone clear their throat behind him. He immediately dropped his hand and spun around.

“God…” he said as he realised who it was, his heart hammering in his chest, “…don’t do that. I nearly died.”

Jooheon, who was also hoody clad and for some reason standing right behind him didn’t look overly concerned about the fact he’d nearly killed him. In fact he looked a little pissed. “You said you were going to Hyungwon’s room.” He reminded him, not bothering to apologise.

“I am…” Changkyun told him, having to think on his feet. “… I thought I’d get some snacks and stay for a while.” There was no way he could tell Jooheon what he was really there to buy.

Jooheon though wasn’t convinced. “Right. Snacks.” He said, his gaze going to shelves Changkyun was standing in front of.

“I don’t want anything from here.” Changkyun said, trying not to panic. “I was just, you know… walking past.”

“Hmm.” Jooheon hummed, his expression hardening.

“I was.”

Jooheon didn’t say anything for a second, maybe he was waiting to see if he’d own up to why he was there on his own. When he didn’t Jooheon’s expression only hardened further. “Wanting to make Hyunwoo hyung feel better after his break-up is one thing. But letting him… you know…” he said, nodding at the shelf, “… that’s taking things too far.”

At first Changkyun didn’t know what Jooheon was talking about. But then he noticed what else was on the shelf in front of him. “Excuse me?” he exclaimed, his own expression turning steely and Jooheon, surprised by his reaction took half a step back. “You think I offered to sleep with him to make him feel better? Really?”

“You’re shopping for condoms.” Jooheon pointed out, not one to back down. “And you keep trying to work it so you two are sharing a room.”

“I’m not shopping for condoms.” Changkyun told him. “And even if I was, why would that be the first thing your mind would jump to? You really think I’d have with someone when I don’t have feelings for them?”

“Oh come on…” Jooheon said, “… you know you do. You’ve always liked Hyunwoo. That’s why you didn’t want to hear it when I told you he was dating. It’s why it hurt you so much to see him hurting when Nayeon broke up with him.”

Changkyun shook his head, not believing what he was hearing. Jooheon had clearly gone insane. “I’ve always looked up to Hyunwoo.” He corrected him. “And of course it hurt me to see him hurting. He’s a friend.”

“I’m not angry with you.” Jooheon told him. “I think what you’re doing is stupid and you’ll only end up getting hurt, but you can do whatever you want with whoever you want, I’m not judging you. I just don’t know why you didn’t tell me. I thought we were friends.”

“Yeah, well, so did I.” Changkyun said. “But apparently you don’t know me at all so maybe we aren’t as good friends as I thought we were.”

“I told you, I’m not judging you.” Jooheon said again, still not believing him. “I just don’t want you to get hurt.”

Changkyun wasn’t buying it. If he wasn’t judging him why had he been scowling at him so hard when he’d first found him in the family planning aisle? But he didn’t have it in him to argue any more. And if he didn’t get his hands on a pregnancy test now he didn’t know when he’d next get a chance. So with a sigh he turned his back on Jooheon and picked up a box from the shelf.

He made it about three steps down the aisle before Jooheon was grabbing his elbow and pulling him back around to a face him. “That’s a…” he started to say, voice hoarse.

“It’s not for me.” Changkyun told him, pushing him away. “I already told you, I’m not sleeping with Hyunwoo.”

“Is it Hyungwon?” Jooheon asked next and Changkyun wanted to hit him.

“It’s not for me!” he repeated. And realising yelling at Jooheon in the middle of the store was the opposite of keeping a low profile he lowered his voice. “I’m not sleeping with anyone. The only person I spend any time with is you. Where would I get the chance to see anyone else?”

“If it’s not for you, then who is it for?” Jooheon asked.

And Changkyun supposed he had to tell him. If he didn’t then Jooheon was just going to keep making ridiculous assumptions. He looked around to make sure they were definitely alone and then turned back to Jooheon. “It’s for Hyunwoo hyung.” He told him quietly.

“Um…” Jooheon said slowly, taking in what he’d just heard, “… I don’t know how much attention you paid in Education but Hyunwoo’s a man and Nayeon is, as far as I know, a woman. If anyone was going to need a pregnancy test it would be her.”

Changkyun didn’t know how Jooheon hadn’t worked out that it wasn’t Nayeon he’d been dating. He thought the filming they’d done with Got7 had made it pretty obvious that there was tension there between Jaebum and Hyunwoo, more tension than there would be if Jaebum was simply taking Nayeon’s side in a break-up. “Nayeon is not the problem.” He told him. “He was never dating Nayeon.”

“Then who was he dating?” Jooheon asked, brow furrowing in confusion.

“Think about it.” Changkyun told him. “You followed him to a park near the JYP building, he visited Got7’s dorm on the way back from that radio appearance…”

It took Jooheon a good twenty seconds or so to work it out but when he did his eyes widened in shock. “Got7’s leader impregnated our hyung?”

“Sssh!” Changkyun hissed. The last thing they needed was for someone to overhear them. “Maybe. He pretty much admitted to me that they were dating. And I caught him throwing up the other day. He said it was something he’d eaten and it wasn’t morning sickness but why would he even bring up pregnancy being a possibility…”

“If it wasn’t.” Jooheon finished for him. “That’s why you’ve been fussing over him so much.” He added as realisation dawned. “He might be pregnant and you don’t want him to hurt himself.”

“Exactly.” Changkyun said, glad the whole sleeping with Hyunwoo thing had been cleared up. It still hurt a little, knowing that Jooheon had thought it of him but at least he'd dropped the idea pretty quickly.

“You could have told me.” Jooheon said, looking a little hurt himself. “I could have helped.”

“I thought about telling you.” Changkyun admitted. “But it wasn't really my place to say,  it was Hyunwoo hyung’s. Or at least it would be if he’d ever admit it to himself. To be honest I have no idea how I’m going to convince him to take this.” He said, holding the box up. “You know how stubborn he can be.”

“We’ll work something out.” Jooheon assured him and he took the box from him and starting heading for the counter.

And feeling a lot better about things now he had some back-up Changkyun followed.

 

~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

A/N: Here you go guys. Hope you enjoy.