ELEVEN

I'm Telling You

“Do you think we should check on him?”

Changkyun chewed on his bottom lip as he thought Jooheon’s question over. Hyunwoo had said he wanted to take the test on his own, that he’d come out and share the results with them when he was ready. But that had been at least twenty minutes ago. Changkyun wasn’t an expert on pregnancy tests but he was pretty sure it didn’t take twenty minutes for the results to show up. “Maybe.” He said. “He might not be happy about us not listening to him but…”

“He’s been in there forever.” Jooheon finished for him.

“Yeah.” The fact he'd been sitting in there on his own for so long was a little worrying.

Taking that to mean Changkyun agreed with him Jooheon walked forward and knocked on the bathroom door.

There was a beat of silence and then Hyunwoo was telling them to ‘Go away’ from the other side of the door, his voice sounding hoarse.

Jooheon ignored him and instead did the opposite, pushing down the handle and opening the door.

Hyunwoo, sitting on the bathroom floor, the pregnancy test held in his hands, looked up and levelled a glare at Jooheon. “I told you to go away.” He said.

There were tear tracks on his cheeks Changkyun noticed, that would be why his voice sounded so croaky. It was probably why he’d told them to go away too, he hadn’t wanted them to see him crying.

“You said you’d come out when you’d taken it.” Jooheon reminded him. “When you didn’t we got worried.”

“I know…” Hyunwoo said, his gaze softening a little at Jooheon’s words and then his eyes went back to the pregnancy test in his hand, “…I was going to but…”

“It came back positive.” Changkyun guessed when he trailed off.

“Yeah,” Hyunwoo confirmed, attention still fixed on the test, “yeah, it did.”

There was a definite hitch in his voice and with a sigh Changkyun made his way further into the room and took a seat beside him on the floor. Jooheon, following his lead, did the same, sitting down on his left as Changkyun took his right.

“It did.” Hyunwoo repeated. “I kind of knew it would, I mean the signs were all there but… this…” he waved the test at Changkyun, “…these two lines, it makes it real. I’m… I'm...” he trailed off again, shaking his head. “How am I supposed to deal with this when I can’t even say the word out loud?”

Tears weren’t falling again, not yet, but he was definitely choking up. Changkyun, not sure what else to do, draped an arm over his shoulders. And rather surprisingly Hyunwoo didn’t push him off, instead he dropped his head with a sigh. “It’s okay that you can't say it yet.” Changkyun told him, glad he wasn’t pushing them away. “It’s going to take you a while to come to terms with it and that’s understandable. Even people who’ve been planning for a baby for a long time can find it hard.”

“And you’re allowed to be upset.” Jooheon added as Hyunwoo sniffed and gulped, obviously trying to keep from crying. “You don’t have to pretend you’re okay, not in front of us.”

“I’m not upset.” Hyunwoo argued, but the watery sheen to his eyes betrayed him.

“I would be.” Changkyun admitted. “I’d be upset. And confused, and scared… I think I’d be a lot of things. So if you want to cry, that’s okay. I’m not going to judge and neither is Jooheon.”

“Thanks, but that’s not it.” Hyunwoo told him and he wiped at his eyes with the back of his hand. “II'm a little bit upset, and yeah I'm more than a little scared. But more than that, I’m just so angry with myself. How could I have been so stupid?” And that was it, the tears were falling freely.

“Don’t be so hard on yourself.” Jooheon told him, looking a little lost. Changkyun didn't blame him, Hyunwoo wasn't someone who cried very often and there he was breaking down completely. “It could happen to anyone.” Jooheon added, hesitantly patting his shoulder.

“No.” Hyunwoo argued, shaking his head. “No, this wouldn’t be happening if I hadn’t…if I’d… I should have been more careful. I should never have…”

He was practically sobbing and Changkyun, feeling just as lost as Jooheon looked, tightened his grip on Hyunwoo’s shoulders and gave him a one-armed hug. “Yeah, you should probably have been more careful.” He agreed, knowing that arguing with him wasn’t going to get him anywhere. If he was intent on blaming himself he was going to keep on blaming himself no matter what he or anyone else said. “But it’s not like you did it on purpose. You didn’t mean for this to happen.”

“That's true.” Hyunwoo sniffed, again surprising Changkyun by not pushing him away. “I didn't mean for it to happen but it had. And I know people are going to be so disappointed, they’re going to think I’ve been irresponsible and stupid… but… I’m not… I can’t…." He stopped for a second and tried to steady hsi breathing. "I’m not getting rid of it.” he added when he'd managed to compose himself a little, his voice firm.

Hyunwoo's voice was steadier but was looking at him now, his eyes wide and scared and Changkyun didn’t like it one bit. “Hyung, no one’s asking you to get rid of it.”

“No, not right now.” Hyunwoo conceded. “But they will, once they know. They’ll say it’s the most responsible thing to do. And it might be… when I first looked down and saw the two lines there the thought crossed my mind… that’d be easier for everyone if I just… it’s not that I want this but I couldn’t… I don’t think I could live with it… if I did that…” he stuttered, any compusure he'd gained starting to crumble.

Jooheon patted his shoulder some more. “No one can make you do something you don’t want to do.” He told him.

“And if they try to we’ll be there to back you up.” Changkyun promised.

Hyunwoo shook his head. “You two don’t have to be nice to me. This is going to mess things up for everyone, including you. You’re allowed to be angry about that.”

To be honest Changkyun was a little annoyed. Not at Hyunwoo exactly, it was impossible to be angry with him when he was obviously petrified. But the fact he hadn’t thought about this before getting into a relationship, before sleeping with someone, that was a little frustrating. He was their leader; he was supposed to be setting them a good example. And when news of this got out it wasn't just going to be Hyunwoo's career on the line, it would be everyone else's too. It would have been nice if he'd thought about that. But then as he’d said it himself, Hyunwoo was only human and it wasn’t as if he’d done it on purpose. “I think you’re angry enough at yourself.” He told him. “Us being angry at you too isn’t going to help.”

“I just… I don’t know what to do.” Hyunwoo admitted. “How am I going to tell people?”

“Don’t worry about that right now.” Jooheon told him. “Take some time, think about what you want to do first. When you tell people they’re going to have their own opinions on what you should do. You should have your mind made up by then so they can’t talk you into doing something you might regret.”

Changkyun looked up, caught off guard by what he’d said. Jooheon spent so much time acting the fool, playing up to the camera that sometimes he forgot how smart he was, how mature. “He’s right.” He said, studying Jooheon. He was looking at Hyunwoo with such a serious expression on his face, with so much concern in his eyes. He was being so level-headed and grown-up about this that he kind of wanted to hug him. But now wasn’t the time.  “Jooheon’s right.” He said, turning his attention back to Hyunwoo. “Sleep on it. We have a show tomorrow, get through that first and then we’ll talk about it again. Okay?”

Hyunwoo sniffed and wiped at his eyes again, obviously tryingyet again to pull himself together. “Okay.” He mumbled.

“Okay.” Jooheon said echoed, giving his shoulder a squeeze. “If you’re really are serious about keeping this baby you need to look after yourself better, you need to rest.”

Changkyun couldn't help noticing how Hyunwoo flinched as Jooheon said the word 'baby'. He didn't say anything though, at least not about that. “I can’t promise I’ll sleep though.” He said instead, his tone apologetic. “I mean I’ll try but I don’t know if I’ll be able to.”

“Just try.” Jooheon told him. “And if you have trouble getting to sleep, well Changkyun can stay. Kihyun’s probably snoring in his bed already anyway. He can read you a bedtime story or something.”

“A bed time story?” Changkyun echoed. He’d stay, give Hyunwoo any moral support he might need but how old did Jooheon think their leader was? Five?

“You’ve got the voice for it.” Jooheon told him with a shrug. “I’ve fallen asleep listening to you talk before, haven’t I? It might work on Hyunwoo hyung too.”

“So I have a talent for boring you to sleep.” Changkyun said flatly. “Thanks.”

“That’s not what I said.” Jooheon protested.

“It kind of is.” Chagkyun told him and he was sure Hyunwoo actually smiled at that.

“It kind of isn’t.” Jooheon argued, getting ever more animated. “I said your voice has put me to sleep before, not what you said.”

Changkyun snorted. “Big difference.”

“I think he meant it as a compliment.” Hyunwoo said, interjecting before things got out of control. “I think he’s saying your voice is soothing.”

“Thank you.” Jooheon said, clearly relieved. “That is exactly what I meant.”

Changkyun frowned. “You think my voice is soothing?” he asked. He wasn’t sure what to make of that. It was flattering to hear of course it was just… it wasn’t something he’d ever expected to hear from Jooheon.

“I guess.” Jooheon said, sounding a little flustered. “I mean the fans like it, don’t they?”

“I suppose so.” Changkyun conceded. He had heard similar things from them before. That they liked to hear him talk, things like that. It was still strange though, knowing that Jooheon had paid attention to what his voice sounded like and had formed his own opinion.

“So if he can’t sleep just talk to him.” Jooheon told him and he rather quickly got to his feet, brushing invisible dust from his trousers and looking anywhere but at the two of them. “I should go, if Kihyun isn’t asleep already then he’ll be wondering where I am.”

“Thank you.” Hyunwoo said as he turned to leave. “For not running straight to management, for giving me time to work this out on my own.”

“You don’t have to thank me.” Jooheon said, looking flustered again. Apparently he wasn’t very good at handling sincere thanks when it was aimed in his direction. “Just get some sleep.”

“You need it.” Changkyun agreed as Jooheon left the room. He got to his feet too and held out a hand. “You’ve been looking like a zombie lately.”

“Thanks.” Hyunwoo muttered, taking the offered hand and letting Changkyun pull him to his feet.

Despite being told he looked like death warmed up Hyunwoo was smiling again, not widely but there was a definite upturn at the corner at one corner of his mouth and Changkyun was glad to see it. “Come on,” he said, taking his arm and tugging him towards the door, “I’ll tell you that bedtime story.” Hopefully once they’d both had a few hours sleep they’d be able to come up with a plan for going forward. They were going to need one.

 

~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

A/N: Here you go guys. Chapter Eleven. Enjoy!