EIGHTEEN

I'm Telling You

He’d thought Hyunwoo would be furious with him but he didn’t seem to be. Changkyun had just told him about the conversation he’d had with Hyungwon in the kitchen and Hyunwoo was sitting on the edge of his bed, in the private hospital room he’d been moved to when they’d told him he would have to stay in, and while he didn’t look ecstatic he didn’t look mad either. He didn’t get it, if he’d been the one who was pregnant and Hyunwoo had told the rest of the group before he was ready he’d have been livid, he knew he would. So why had Hyunwoo taken it so calmly?

“I really am sorry.” Changkyun told him from his spot by the window, wondering if it was just taking him a moment to process the information and he was about to blow up at him. “I shouldn’t have said anything to Hyungwon at all.”

But Hyunwoo didn’t blow up and start yelling at him. “It’s okay.” He said instead, “You don’t have to apologise. I get it. You needed to talk to someone and Hyngwon’s a friend.”

“Yes,” Changkyun said tentatively, he wasn’t one hundred per cent convinced that Hyunwoo was really okay with it. He had to feel at least a little betrayed. He would feel that way if it was him. “But it wasn’t really my news to share, was it?”

“Well no…” Hyunwoo agreed, “… but I’ve been worrying a lot about having to tell the rest of the group and now you’ve told them I don’t have to anymore. To be honest, knowing they know is a bit of a relief.”

He was smiling Changkyun noted. It was a faint smile but it was there. He really wasn’t mad. “I’m still sorry.” He insisted, and it was his turn to feel relieved. And satisfied that he wasn’t about to be yelled at he stepped away from the window and made his way to the visitor’s chair by Hyunwoo’s bed. “I’ll make it up to you, I promise.” He added as he took a seat.

“You don’t have to make it up to me.” Hyunwoo said offering him another smile.

“Thanks Hyung,” Changkyun told him, “But I want to.” He really was looking better he noted. Getting some rest and being in a place where he was reminded to eat properly and had no gym to run away to had done him the world of good. He had colour back in his cheeks and while Changkyun knew it had only been a couple of days and he shouldn’t really be able to see that much of a difference he could swear he no longer looked so skinny. “If there’s anything you need, just let me know and I’ll help.”

“I’m okay for now.” Hyunwoo said. And then he was frowning. “They’re not mad at me are they?” he asked, “Everyone at home…”

“They’re not mad at you.”

Hyunwoo didn’t look convinced. “If they are I’d rather know.” He told him. 

“They’re really not.”  Changkyun assured him. “They were surprised of course they were. But they're happy you're not sick, Hyungwon Hyung especially, he was really worried. And yes, Wonho Hyung was a little hurt at first, you know he prides himself on being there for his friends when they need him and he didn’t understand why you didn’t go to him for help. But I talked to him about it and explained and he gets it now. He knows it wasn’t personal and he wanted me to let you know he’s got your back.”

“Good. That’s good.” Hyunwoo said with a satisfied nod. “And Minhyuk?”

“When he found out who knew before he did he was madder at Kihyun Hyung for not telling him than he was with you, or anyone else. Apparently he should have known better.”

“Really?” Hyunwoo said, frown back, “But it’s my fault. Other people shouldn’t be arguing with each other when this is my doing.”

He clearly felt bad and Changkyun could have kicked himself. Why did he never think before speaking? “It was nothing.” He said quickly, trying to fix the damage. “You know what they’re like. They argue over anything and everything but they’re fine now. In fact they were teaming up on everyone else when I left this morning. They want to make sure the dorm is clean and tidy for when you get home later and they were doling out chores.” They’d had a list with timescales and everything. It had been like some kind of military operation, he’d been happy to escape.

“Well if you’re sure.” Hyunwoo said, still sounding hesitant.

“I’m sure,” Changkyun told him, voice firm, “No one is mad at you and no one is mad at any one else either.” At least they hadn’t been when he’d left. There was no guarantee there hadn’t been a mutiny though while he was gone. Kihyun and Minhyuk could both be incredibly bossy and Jooheon especially didn’t take kindly to being told what to do.

“Good” Hyunwoo said, nodding again, his expression turning thoughtful. “Good. I’m glad that they took it well. So many other people are going to be angry and upset, I don’t think I’d have been able to cope if you guys were mad at me too.”

Changkyun hadn’t even thought about that. He’d been so focussed on the company’s reaction that he’d forgotten about the other people Hyunwoo would need to tell. Hyunwoo wasn’t just a member of an idol group, he had a life outside of his career too. He had other friends and other family. “Have you told them yet?” he asked, “Your parents I mean.”

Hyunwoo shook his head. “Not yet. I’m going home next week and I’ll tell them then. And I know they’re not going to be happy but I’m pretty sure they’ll forgive me, they’re my parents so they kind of have to.”

Changkyun nodded in agreement. “And they’ll have a cute little grandchild in a few months’ time to distract them if they are mad.” He reasoned.

“Yeah,” Hyunwoo said, eyes flicking to his middle, “I guess they will.”

He was wearing a t-shirt that looked about three sizes too big for him so the beginnings of a bump that Changkyun knew was there wasn’t visible but his eyes followed Hyunwoo’s and settled there too. “You’re going to start showing properly soon.” He said, “Are management planning on telling people before then?” He’d been doing some research and knew Hyunwoo was already technically in his second trimester. He was more than a third of his way through his pregnancy already, management didn’t really have that long to figure things out when you looked at it that way.

“I don’t know,” Hyunwoo admitted, brow furrowing, “They haven’t really said. I just… I hope it’s not too soon. There are other people I need to tell first.”

They’d already discussed his parents and he was visiting them soon so Changkyun didn’t think Hyunwoo’s ‘other people’ related to them. So if he didn’t mean his parents then… “You mean…” he took a look at the door and satisfied it was firmly closed he continued… “…. you mean Jaebum?”

“Yes.” Hyunwoo confirmed with a sigh, running a hand through his hair.

His expression looked pained Changkyun decided and he came to realisation… “You haven’t told the company, have you?”

Hyunwoo gave another weary sounding sigh. “No. No I haven’t. If I did then they’d deal with it, they’d get in touch with his agency and… yeah… I don’t want him being pulled into a meeting and having it dropped on him. If they even agreed to tell him, who knows what they’d decide?”

“They can’t not tell him.” Changkyun argued. As much as management agencies liked to avoid scandal it wasn’t like this particular scandal was going to go away. Even if they managed to keep Hyunwoo’s pregnancy form the public It wasn’t as if  you could hide a baby.

“You don’t know that. What if they don’t believe the baby’s his? They might decide to keep it quiet until we can do a paternity test.”

“That’s ridiculous.” Changkyun exclaimed. Just the thought of people treating his hyung that way had his face colouring in indignation,  “Why would you lie about it?”

“They’d be looking out for his best interests and it would be in his best interest if it wasn’t true.”

Hyunwoo didn’t look half as angry as Changkyun felt at the thought of being branded a liar and he didn’t get it. “But Hyung…” he started to say, intending to argue some more.

But Hyunwoo didn’t let him finish. “That doesn’t matter. Whether they tell him or not, whether they think I’m a liar or not, the news shouldn’t be coming from them. It should be coming from me.”

Okay. Well, yes Changkyun couldn’t argue with that. He still wasn’t the other man’s biggest fan but whatever Jaebum might have done to hurt Hyunwoo in the past he deserved to know he was going to be a father and he deserved to hear that from Hyunwoo. “I guess.” He grudgingly agreed. “So when are you planning to tell him? Are you going to call him or…”

And there it was again, that tired sigh. “I’ve tried calling him.” Hyunwoo admitted. “But I can’t get through. He’s either blocked my number or he’s changed it. And it’s not like I can ask management to give me any free time right now so I can try and tell him in person. They’re not going to let me out of their sight until this is all worked out.”

He’d better not have blocked his hyung’s number Changkyun thought, feeling protective. If he had that was a really ty thing to do. But Hyunwoo didn’t need him all up on his high horse right now. He needed his help. And he reluctantly had to admit that their best route to Jaebum was through Jackson. He didn’t really want to get him involved, he still thought he was kind of loud and it would mean encouraging Jooheon to spend more time with him. For some reason that thought didn’t appeal to him at all. It was childish jealousy he decided as he gave it some thought. It was as he’d said to himself before, Jooheon was his friend and he wanted to keep him to himself, that was all. He needed to grow up and get over it. “I’ll talk to Jooheon.” He told Hyunwoo, mind made up.  “And we’ll sort something out.” It was the least he could do after slipping up and letting everyone know he was pregnant. As much as Hyunwoo kept insisting he wasn’t mad he still felt like he needed to make it up to him and finding out if Jaebum had changed his number or not would be a start.