FOURTEEN

I'm Telling You

Changkyun hadn’t been able to get near him, Hyunwoo had been taken straight to the first aid station and the rest of them had been herded out to the van and told to wait. And when Hyunwoo had joined them it was with a strapped up ankle and his arm in a sling.

“I’m fine.” Hyunwoo had assured an extremely apologetic Wonho. “I sprained my wrist and my ankle’s a little bruised and swollen but that’s all. Nothing’s broken. There’s no harm done.”

And the fact he had no broken bones was good, of course it was but Changkyun had been hoping the incident might have forced a trip to the hospital where someone would have been able to check on the baby. The fact that Hyunwoo had yet to see a doctor about his pregnancy had been worrying him for a while and now that Hyunwoo had almost killed himself by falling down a flight of stairs he found himself worrying all the more.

He didn’t get to voice his worries when he got back to the dorm though because Minhyuk and Wonho were both fussing over Hyunwoo, making sure he was okay. And then before Changkyun knew it they’d all headed to bed, himself included. Not that Changkyun could sleep. What if Hyunwoo had really hurt himself and he just hadn’t realised it yet?

“We’ll just have to keep an eye on him, like we have been doing.” Jooheon kept saying, level-headed as always. But Changkyun knew that despite his calm demeanour he couldn’t sleep either. He could hear him moving around, clearly restless.

“Hungry?” he asked, after listening to him toss and turn for a while. There was no point in either of them just lying their if neither of them were going to sleep.

Jooheon stopped. “Yes.” He concluded after taking a moment to think about it.

“Ramen?” Changkyun suggested, sitting up.

“Sure.” Jooheon agreed, sitting up too. “Ramen sounds good.”

~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

Changkyun had just thrown the noodles into the pot when the kitchen door opened and he automatically turned to see who it was. Jooheon, who’d been raiding the fridge for things to add to their ramen concoction turned too.

“We’re making food.” Jooheon said carefully as they watched Hyunwoo hobble his way across the room to the table. “Want some?”

Hyunwoo shook his head. He pulled out the chair closest to him and sat down with a huff. “I’m not hungry.” He said quietly.

“Hmm.” Changkyun said, his eyebrows drawing together in a frown. “When did you last eat?”

“A while ago.” Hyunwoo told him.

“You need to eat.” Jooheon chided, sounding a little exasperated. To be fair it was something they’d both been saying to him for days.

“There’s no point. It’s not like I’d be able to keep it down.” Hyunwoo snapped and then his face immediately blanched. “I’m sorry.” He said before either of them could say anything. “I’m sorry… I’m just really, really tired and I… yeah… I shouldn’t be taking it out on you.” He slumped in his chair with a sigh, looking dejected.

“You don’t need to apologise.” Jooheon told him. “You need to sleep.”

“I’ve tried.” Hyunwoo groaned. “But I can’t. I can’t stop thinking about what happened earlier. I can’t stop…” he trailed off.

“Worrying?” Changkyun finished for him, stepping away from the hob and closer to Hyunwoo, leaving Jooheon to add whatever he’d found to the pot unsupervised. Leaving Jooheon in charge of the food might be something he’d live to regret but right that second Hyunwoo was more important.

“Yes.” Hyunwoo admitted. “My wrist hurts and I still can’t put all my weight on my ankle but nothing else seems to be wrong. And at first I tried to tell myself that was a good thing. But just because nothing feels wrong, does that mean anything? If I’d done something to the baby would I even know right away?”

He looked so scared, his eyes swimming with worry and Changkyun felt an overwhelming urge to hug him. And he might have if they hadn’t been interrupted by a snapped “You have got to be kidding me.”

All three of them turned towards the doorway and were greeted by the sight of Kihyun standing there, one hand on the doorframe. He did not look happy in the slightest. “Did you just say baby?” he demanded, voice incredulous.

Hyunwoo opened his mouth as if he was going to reply but it seemed he couldn’t find the words because he quickly snapped it shut again.

Changkyun couldn’t find the words either and turned to Jooheon looking for support. All he received was a helpless shrug.

“You’re pregnant?” Kihyun barked and Changkyun’s attention swung back to his hyung.

“Sssh!” he hissed, trying to hush him. Did he have to be so loud? At this rate everyone was going to know Hyunwoo was pregnant.

Hyunwoo who, frozen by shock, still wasn’t responding.

Kihyun correctly took his lack of response as confirmation that he was right. “You cannot be serious.” He said, taking heed of Changkyun and lowering his voice slightly. “That’s why you’ve been acting so weird. You’re not ill, you’re pregnant.”

This time Hyunwoo pulled himself together enough to nod.

“And you two knew?” Kihyun said, rounding on Changkyun and Jooheon. It was more of an accusation than a question.

“We worked it out a while back.” Changkyun told him, the look Kihyun was giving him making him feel thoroughly chastised.

Kihyun shook his head in disbelief and turned back to Hyunwoo. “Does anyone else know?” He asked. He might have lowered his voice but his expression was still steely.

Hyunwoo shook his head.

“Not our manager?”

“No.” Hyunwoo told him, his voice sounding hoarse.

“Not our doctor?”

“No.” Hyunwoo said again.

It took Kihyun a moment to take this in. But once he had taken in what Hyunwoo had just admitted to he exploded. “Are you ing stupid?” he exclaimed, voice rising again. “How long have you known about this? Weeks? And you haven’t told anyone?”

Hyunwoo looked up at Kihyun slack-jawed, a watery sheen to his eyes. He looked like he’d just been slapped. “We were touring.” He explained, his voice wavering. “I didn’t want to be a distraction. I didn’t want to ruin things for everyone.”

Kihyun was not appeased. “You didn’t want to be a distraction?” he scoffed. “Right. You were thinking of us and the fans, of course you were. How nice. How noble.” He bit out, voice dripping sarcasm.

“Hyung… stop.” Jooheon pleaded.

“He doesn’t need this right now.” Changkyun added. Hyunwoo was already tired and worried and in pain. He looked on the verge of falling apart. Kihyun laying into him wasn’t going to help.

“This is exactly what he needs.” Kihyun argued with a glare. “Do you know why he hasn’t gone to a doctor yet? It’s got nothing to do with protecting us and the fans. It’s because if he goes to a doctor then it’ll be real and he doesn’t want it to be.”

Changkyun had been starting to think the same thing lately but that didn’t mean he appreciated Kihyun’s tone. “That’s not fair.” He told him.

“No.” Kihyun barked. “No, it’s entirely fair. He’s been an idiot. He hasn’t been eating, he hasn’t been sleeping, he’s been pushing himself harder than he ever has. That’s bad for your health at the best of times but do you have any idea how dangerous it is when you’re pregnant? Does he want to end up in hospital?”

“He’s not…” Jooheon started to say.

“Don’t!” Kihyun all but yelled, cutting him off. “I don’t want to hear it. You two need to stop defending him. He got himself into this mess, he needs to man up and deal with it.”

“Hyung…” Changkyun said again, his eyes narrowing. Kihyun was clearly angry at being left in the dark and that was understandable but he had no idea how hard the last couple of months had been for Hyunwoo. What he was saying wasn’t fair.

“It’s okay.” Hyunwoo said before Changkyun could let Kihyun know that he thought his attitude stunk. “He’s right.”

Kihyun looked surprised. He’d obviously been expecting to be argued with some more. “Yes, yes I am.” He said.

Hyunwoo pushed his chair back from the table and stood up, moving closer to Kihyun. “I shouldn’t have kept it to myself for so long.” He admitted. “But like you said… telling more people would make it more real. And I don’t… I don’t want to get rid of the baby, it’s a baby, my baby, I couldn’t do that. But I don’t really want it to be real either. I’m not ready for this, I’m really not.”

“Well it’s not like you have a choice.” Kihyun said, his expression softening but his tone still argumentative. He never had been one to back down easily.

Hyunwoo sighed, his gaze dropping to the floor. “I know.” He said quietly. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry I wasn’t more careful, that I let this happen, that I didn’t tell you…”

“You could have you know.” Kihyun told him and Changkyun realised that that was it. Kihyun wasn’t acting the way he was because truly angry with him, he was acting the way he was because he felt hurt. “I know we argue sometimes but we’re friends, aren’t we? I could have helped.”

“I’m sorry.” Hyunwoo said again. All he seemed to say these days was sorry. He took another step towards Kihyun, mouth open as if he was going to apologise again but he stopped halfway. His eyes lost focus for a second and he swayed.

“Woah!” Kihyun exclaimed, hands automatically going to Hyunwoo’s shoulders to steady him. “You okay?” he asked as Hyunwoo shook his head and blinked blearily back at him.

“Yeah.” Hyunwoo told him, but he didn’t sound it. “Yeah, I’m fine. I just went a little dizzy that’s all.”

“Dizzy isn’t fine.” Kihyun told him. “Is that why you fell earlier, when Wonho tapped your shoulder? You got dizzy?”

Hyunwoo nodded and was immediately hit by another dizzy spell, stumbling slightly. The only reason he didn’t fall was because Kihyun still had a hand on each shoulder and was there to keep him upright.

“We’re going to the hospital, you need to get checked out.” Kihyun told him as Changkyun dragged a chair over and they helped him sit down. “It’s where you should have gone when you fell earlier. It’s where you would have gone if you’d been smart enough to let our manager know you were pregnant.”

“There’s no one here to take him.” Jooheon pointed out. He was still standing by the cooker but the ramen had long been forgotten. “Our manager went home. He won’t be back until tomorrow afternoon.”

“Then we’ll take a taxi.” Kihyun told them, already heading for the door. “I’ll get our coats, and since you two were just as stupid as he was and didn’t tell anyone before it got this far you can pay for the fare.”