SEVENTEEN

I'm Telling You

Changkyun had thought that Hyunwoo would have been kept in for another day, maybe two at a push and then he’d be let home. But it had now been four  days since the concert and he still hadn’t been discharged.

Their manager had told him that this was because the company was still trying to come up with a plan on how to deal with the media when the news got out and while they were thinking about it they wanted to minimise any stress on Hyunwoo. They didn’t want to send him back to the dorm for him to be pounced on by the other members, asking him if he was okay, especially when the only plan they had so far involved keeping the news of Hyunwoo’s pregnancy a secret for the time being. The last thing they wanted was for the news to go public before they’d had a chance to make a statement themselves so the less people who knew about it the better. If they sent Hyunwoo back to the dorm he’d be expected to keep things to himself and they didn’t want to make things any worse for him. He didn’t need that kind of pressure, he needed to rest.

And this all made sense to Changkyun, it did. He didn’t want to put Hyunwoo under any unnecessary stress either. It wouldn’t be good for him or the baby. But it did mean that his original story of ‘It’s just exhaustion’ was becoming less and less believable. And as the person who’d gone with Hyunwoo to the hospital originally and as the only one who’d been allowed to visit him every day since Changkyun was the one being bombarded with questions. And it was tiring. There were only so many times he could say ‘Honestly, he’s fine’ only to be met with a disbelieving stare without resorting to tearing his own hair out.

He’d thought that after a day or two people might give up and stop asking. And to be fair the rate of questioning had slowed somewhat over the last day or two. Or at least the rate of Wonho and Minhyuk’s questioning had slowed. They were still clearly worried about their friend but they’d stopped pestering their youngest incessantly. A brief ‘How is he?’ when Changkyun came back from a hospital visit seemed to be enough for them now.

But sadly ‘How is he?’ wasn’t yet enough for Hyungwon.

Hyungwon might be quiet, he might be laid back but he was also observant. And it seemed he’d noticed the change in Hyunwoo over the last few weeks himself. He’d noticed Changkyun’s worry too and the way he’d taken to hovering around their leader. He just hadn’t said anything at the time because he hadn’t known how to broach the subject. But now that Hyunwoo was in hospital and with Changkyun getting suspiciously stuttery everytime someone asked him how he was, it seemed he’d decided now was the time to do some investigative work and find out what was going on.

And investigative work mostly involved asking Changkyun questions. But it wasn’t simple questioning. It went beyond that. It was relentless and it was unremitting. He managed to slip a query about Hyunwoo into every conversation they had. They’d be talking about what was on tv and he’d casually mention the fact Hyunwoo hadn’t been watching a lot of tv lately, he was usually in bed before they could ask him if he wanted to watch too. Was Changkyun sure it was just because he was tired? Was he sure there wasn’t another reason? Because clearly, if he was in hospital now because of exhaustion that meant he hadn’t actually been sleeping. Had he been faking it?

They’d be talking about what to make for dinner and Hyungwon would mention that Hyunwoo had seemed off his food lately. So was he feeling unwell because he hadn’t been eating or was he not eating because he was unwell? Which did he think was more likely?

Changkyun mentioning that it was a weird now that their tour was over had Hyungwon asking if he felt relieved because the pressure was off. When Changkyun had said ‘kind of’ and had admitted that although touring was always amazing he always found it a little stressful too it had lead to Hyungwon querying whether stress had anything to do with Hyunwoo ending up in hospital. Did Changkyun think what was wrong with Hyunwoo was purely physical or was it mental too?

Changkyun had been doing his best not to let this wear him down. Hyunwoo’s news wasn’t his to tell and if he did tell then not only would Hyunwoo be mad at him but the company was going to be furious too. But it was getting harder and harder to keep quiet. Every time he repeated the ‘it’s just exhaustion’ line to Hyungwon, Hyungwon looked more and more disappointed in him. And dealing with that disappointment was harder than dealing with his questions. Hyungwon was his friend. He hated to keeping things from him.

And now Hyungwon had him on his own. Wonho and Minhyuk had gone out with their manager to buy food, and Kihyun and Jooheon had both taken advantage of a schedule free day and were visiting family and friends. This left Changkyun in the dorm with Hyungwon with no one to deflect any questions to and no back up.

So far it had been fine. Hyungwon had  talked to him about video games, the book he’d just finished reading and Jooheon’s upcoming birthday and he hadn’t mentioned Hyunwoo once. But Changkyun had the feeling he was being lulled into a false sense of security.

And sure enough they were now in the kitchen, making sure the sides were clear so there was somewhere to put the shopping when Wonho and Minhyuk came home and Hyungwon was turning to llok at him, his expression serious.

“So…” he was saying, “…. I’m sorry, for making things so hard for you. I’m not doing it to be difficult, I’m just worried, that’s all. And I know what management are like. I know they’ve probably told you to keep your mouth shut. But management aren’t here right now, neither is anyone else. So if you want to tell me what’s really wrong with Hyunwoo Hyung then you can. I know how hard it must be, keeping it to yourself and I promise I won’t tell anyone.”

Changkyun had been expecting Hyungwon to bring up the subject at some point but he hadn’t expected him to get straight to the point like that. And the words ‘if you want to’ had thrown him. Hyungwon wasn’t demanding to be told. And that made it worse. If he was standing there being pushy and insistent it would be much easier to tell him to mind his own business. But he wasn’t, he was apologising and telling him he was there to listen.

And the thing was Changkyun did want to tell him.  Hyungwon, just like everyone else had been so worried about Hyunwoo. From the way they’d been talking it was obvious they thought something was seriously wrong with their leader and they hated that it was being kept from them. And that wasn’t fair. But he couldn’t… he shouldn’t. If he told Hyungwon then that would be breaking their manager’s trust. “I know that.” He said, wishing he could say something. “I trust you. And I promise, Hyunwoo’s fine. Or at least he’s going to be. It’s nothing awful and it’s nothing permanent. I just can’t say any more than that.”

Hyungwon considered this for a second and then he was nodding. “Okay. Okay, that’s good.”

“Yes.” Changkyun agreed, glad that Hyungwon seemed to believe him.

“But this thing that isn’t awful and isn’t permanent… it’s not just exhaustion, is it?” Hyungwon said, not giving up just yet. “If it was he wouldn’t still be in the hospital, he’d be back here resting up in the dorm.”

Changkyun, not knowing what to say just shrugged and went back to putting the clean dishes back into the cupboard.

“You don’t have to tell what is wrong.” Hyungwon said next. “But if you could just tell me if I’m right…”

Seriously, why couldn’t he just get pushy and self-righteous about this? Why did he have to be so nice? With a sigh Changkyun turned back around. “You’re right.” He said. “It’s not just exhaustion. And I can’t tell you what it is, you’re right about that too.”

“You mean you shouldn’t tell me what it is.” Hyungwon amended. “But I meant what I said earlier. You can tell me if you want to. I won’t tell anyone. And maybe you’ll feel better. You’ve seemed really down the last couple of days, whatever it is has obviously been playing on your mind. And I don’t like seeing you like that. So if you do want to get it off your chest then I’m here, I’ll listen.”

Changkyun could feel his resolve crumbling. Hyungwon was right, the last couple of days had been tough. And yes, he’d had Jooheon to talk to and Kihyun too but having to watch his words around everyone else had been incredibly difficult. And Hyungwon was his friend. He did trust him. And if he said he wasn’t going to tell anyone else then Changkyun believed him. He wasn’t a liar. And technically Hyunwoo hadn’t told him he couldn’t tell the other members. He just hadn’t said he could. So if he told Hyungwon then he wasn’t letting Hyunwoo down, not really. He’d be letting management down… but management were management. Hyungwon was practically family to him. And to be honest someone was always letting management down. They should be used to it by now. And he was sure that if they did find out he’d told Hyungwon then they’d eventually forgive him.

He should tell him. Telling Hyungwon would mean there would be one less person he’d have to be guarded around.

“You promise you won’t say anything?” He asked, wanting to make sure.

“I promise.” Hyungwon said, sounding surprised. It seemed he hadn’t been expecting Changkyun to give in so easily.

“You need to swear to me that this doesn’t leave this room.” Changkyun continued. “If management find out I’ve told you they’ll kill me.”

Hyungwon nodded. “I swear.”

“Okay…” Changkyun said, taking a breath and stepping closer, “… okay… so… you’re right. Hyunwoo Hyung has been overworking himself, that part is true and it is the reason he's in hospital but that isn’t all there is to it. There’s a reason our work schedule hit him so hard this time.”

Hyungwon nodded again waiting for him to go on.

“It hit him so hard because… well because he hasn’t been eating and hasn’t really been sleeping. And there’s a reason for that too… he’s well… he’s pregnant.” Changkyun finally managed to get out., bracing himself for Hyungwon’s reaction.

“Pregnant.” Hyungwon repeated. He looked more than a little surprised. “He’s pregnant?”

“Yes.” Changkyun said. Hyungwon had been right, he did feel better now he’d told someone else. “He has been for a while, that’s why he’s been all over the place. He just didn’t know he was. And then when he realised that was the reason it was a shock. He didn’t really know what to do.”

“I wouldn’t know what to do either.” Hyngwon said, exhaling and leaning back against the counter. “So that’s why he hasn’t been eating properly. Morning sickness, right?”

“Right.” Changkyun confirmed. Hyungwon didn’t seem angry, that was good. In fact he was taking things astonishingly well.

“No wonder he’s been so off with everyone.” Hyungwon continued. “He must have been trying so hard to keep it together to finish the tour when on the inside he was freaking out. I know I’d be freaking out if it was me. I mean he’s having a baby. How scary is that?”

This was met with an exclamation of “Who’s having a baby?”

And Changkyun turned to see Minhyuk standing in the doorway. He was holding a shopping bag and standing behind him were Wonho and their manager.

Crap. Crap, crap, crap.

“Um… no one?” he ventured. He really needed to stop discussing confidential matters with people in their kitchen. This was the second time in a week that he’d been walked in on.

“Don’t ‘no one’ me.” Minhyuk told him, the bag he’d been holding hitting the floor with a thump. “It’s Hyunwoo isn’t it? That’s why he’s still in the hospital. He’s not ill, he’s pregnant and he’s being kept away from us until the company work out what to do about it.”

Yeah… he hadn’t really thought the ‘no one’ was going to work. Minhyuk was far from stupid. “Maybe.” He said, the look of incredulity on Minhyuk’s face was making him feel uncomfortable but behind him Wonho was looking hurt and their manager was looking furious. And there was nowhere for him to run away to.

“Why didn’t he say anything?” Wonho was saying. And yes, yes that was definitely hurt there on his face.  “He told you so why wouldn’t he tell us? Doesn’t he trust us?”

“That’s not it.” Changkyun told him, the wounded paupy dog eyes Wonho was sporting making him feel dreadful. “He didn’t tell me, I worked it out. If I hadn’t he probably wouldn’t have told me either.” He explained, trying to ignore the angry glare their manager was sending his way.

“What part of ‘keep this to yourself’ did you not understand?”

Okay, that was making it hard to ignore. “I’m sorry.” Changkyun said, feeling suitably ashamed. “I tried not to say anything but everyone’s been so worried. I just thought…”

“You just thought you’d go behind my back and run your mouth.” Their manager finished for him. “There’s a reason we told you not to say anything. We still aren’t ready to release this to the public. We want to make sure Hyunwoo is going to be okay first. And with every person you tell, that’s one more person who might slip up and say something they shouldn’t.”

“It’s not his fault.” Hyungwon said, stepping away from the counter and coming to stand beside his friend. “I was the one who kept asking him questions. If I hadn’t been so insistent then he wouldn’t have told me. So if you’re going to be mad at anyone you should be mad at me.”

“I’m mad at both of you!” their manager exclaimed. “Just… just get out of my sight. The pair of you. Before I say something I regret.”

And feeling simultaneously terrible for letting their manager down and grateful for Hyungwon sticking up for him Changkyun did as he was told. He grabbed Hyungwon’s wrist and with head bowed he slipped past their manager and made for his room.