SIX

I'm Telling You

As it turned out Changkyun didn’t have to find evidence that Jaebum was the secret girlfriend to present to Hyunwoo and Jooheon because after coming to the conclusion that it was him Hyunwoo could be dating the break-up happened.

You might wonder how Changkyun knew they’d broken up when he hadn’t found any proof that they were dating in the first place. And he would tell you the change in Hyunwoo’s behaviour made it pretty obvious.

Hyunwoo had never been the most outgoing member of the group. When it came to things he was good at he was quietly confident and he was sure enough of himself to be an effective leader, he might be quiet but when he did speak people listened but he’d never been the most extroverted person. So it wasn’t as if Hyunwoo keeping himself to himself was anything new. So when he first went from super smiley to super quiet no one had taken much notice, other than Changkyun and Jooheon but that was only because they’d been paying so much attention to him recently.

And it wasn’t just that he’d become quiet and withdrawn. All of the things he’d been doing that pointed to him having a girlfriend (or boyfriend) suddenly stopped. He went from being constantly attached to his phone to barely sparing it a glance. The sneaking out of dressing rooms to make calls came to an end. There were no more late night snack runs and no more secret meetings near the JYP building or at Got7’s dorm. And this was a good thing. Secretly dating when you were in an idol group was dangerous so Changkyun was glad Hyunwoo was no longer doing it. Or he was trying to be glad about it at least. It was hard to be happy about the fact Hyunwoo’s relationship had ended when Hyunwoo himself clearly wasn’t.

“She really hurt him, didn’t she?” Jooheon mumbled as Changkyun took his seat beside him in the van.

Changkyun nodded slightly and looked around, worried about being overheard. A glance to his right showed him Hyungwon was listening to music, headphones on and in front of him Minhyuk and Kihyun were almost asleep already. “Someone did.” He agreed quietly, figuring they were safe for the moment. Jooheon was right, he did seem hurt. Whenever Hyunwoo thought no one was looking he looked kind of sad. It made Changkyun wonder what Jaebum had said to him when he’d called things off because he was pretty sure he’d been the one to end things between them. Hyunwoo wouldn’t be so upset about it if it had been him.

“Do you think we should say something?” Jooheon asked.

He seemed worried and Changkyun didn’t blame him.  Hyunwoo had been acting distant for well over a week now and other people were starting to notice. Changkyun had seen their manager giving him curious looks and Minhyuk had definitely realised something was up even if he hadn’t worked out what. He hadn’t teased Hyunwoo in interviews or on camera in days and he’d started cautioning the other members if they got too loud around him. “I think he might be coming down with something. Maybe that flu thing a lot of us have had,” Changkyun had heard him say to Kihyun that morning, “so be gentle with him, okay?”

But as worried as he was Changkyun still shook his head. “What would we say? We aren’t supposed to know.” How were they meant to make him feel better about what had happened when as far as Hyunwoo knew no one had known he was dating. “He’ll be fine.” He added when it looked like Jooheon was about to argue. “He just needs some time to get over it, that’s all.”

 

~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

 

It might have been easier for Hyunwoo to get over his break-up if Got7 weren’t starting to promote their new album as they were finishing up promoting theirs. They kept bumping into them at broadcasting stations and every time they did Changkyun couldn’t help noticing that it was Jinyoung that Hyunwoo greeted and spoke to first while he studiously avoided looking at Jaebum.

And to make things even better for Hyunwoo they were scheduled to film some online content for a music channel with Got7. Everyone was pretty excited about it. Got7 was a group they got on pretty well with and spending the afternoon playing ridiculous team games sounded fun. So yeah, most of them were on a high. Even Hyunwoo seemed happy. Changkyun could tell that he was faking it though. His smile didn’t quite reach his eyes and his “I’m looking forward to it” that morning hadn’t sounded entirely genuine.

And now they were walking down the corridor towards the gym they’d be filming in and even though Hyunwoo’s back was all Changkyun could see he could tell that he was tense. The set of his shoulders and the way he was dragging his feet said he really didn’t want to be there.

As Hyunwoo went through the door Changkyun grabbed Jooheon’s sleeve, holding him back before he could follow.

“What?” Jooheon asked, slightly surprised.

Changkyun waited until they were alone and then informed that the afternoon ahead was going to be incredibly awkward for Hyunwoo.

“Awkward?” Jooheon didn’t seem to know what he was talking about.

“Yes awkward, between him and Jaebum.” He confided. “We might have to step in and bring the attention onto us if we don’t want other people to notice.”

Jooheon still looked confused. “Why would things be awkward between them?” He asked. And then his eyes widened as he came to a realisation. It was just a shame it was the wrong realisation. “Oh, you think Jaebum took her side. I guess he might have, he knows Nayeon pretty well.”

“That’s not…” he began to say.

But before Changkyun could fill Jooheon in on his ‘Jaebum is the girlfriend’ theory the gym door was swinging open again and rather exasperated Minhyuk was pulling them both through it. “What is it with you two?” he asked as he did so. “You're always hanging back out of earshot… whispering together… people are going to start thinking you’re dating.”

Jooheon snorted. “I wish.” He muttered.

And Changkyun knew it was an ‘I wish in a position to be dating someone’ not an ‘I wish I was dating Changkyun’ but for some reason he could feel his face reddening anyway. “We’re not dating.” He stuttered, even though he was pretty sure Minhyuk had been joking.

“Good.” Minhyuk said, somewhat distractedly. “We don’t need that kind of drama right now. We’re too busy.”

They really were so it was just as well they were only friends Changkyun thought. He had enough on his plate with worrying about Hyunwoo, he didn’t need the added stress of maintaining a secret relationship of his own. And talking of Hyunwoo he really needed to let Jooheon know what he’d worked out. But before he could say anything they were being approached by Jackson Wang.

Changkyun received a “Good to see you,” and a clap on the shoulder. “I heard you were pretty sick.” Jackson added after Changkyun’s bemused nod of greeting. “I’m glad you’re better. I know Jooheon is.”

Changkyun shot Jooheon a questioning look. He knew they talked a lot but it was weird to hear that they talked about him. And what did Jackson mean by that? ‘I know Jooheon is.’ Did that mean Jooheon was glad he felt better because he didn’t like to see him sick or did it mean he was glad that he didn’t have to look after him anymore?

He didn’t get the chance to ask. Before he knew what was happening Jackson had pulled Jooheon into some sort of handshake crossed with a one-armed hug and arm still slung over his shoulders was dragging Jooheon off to talk to BamBam. He’d just have to wait until greetings were over and try and talk to Jooheon again he decided.

Unfortunately, he didn’t get the chance to. Jooheon didn’t leave Jackson’s side until filming started and accusing Jaebum of secretly dating and then breaking up with their leader in front of Jackson wasn't something Changkyun wanted to do. He might be Jooheon's friend but he was also close to Jaebum. He didn't think it was a good idea.

But it seemed he didn’t need to tell Jooheon the reason why he needed to keep all eyes on him because he was doing it anway. He’d ended up on the same team as Jackson (along with Hyunwoo, Hyungwon, BamBam, Mark and Minhyuk. Overall it was a pretty loud team) and the production staff were loving it. Changkyun was sure that by the final edit Jackson and Jooheon would have at least half the final screen time. And why shouldn’t they? They bounced off of each other so well (they’d proved that already countless times in the various MCing jobs they’d done together) and they were both naturals in front of the camera. And it was just as well that they were because the tension between Hyunwoo and Jaebum was palpable.

The look of relief on Hyunwoo’s face when he’d realised he wasn’t on Jaebum’s team (he’d ended up stuck with Changkyun, Jinyoung, Youngjae, Kihyun, Yugyeom and Wonho instead. It was definitely the quieter of the two teams) had been obvious. But the relief had been short lived because he’d soon realised he’d still have to interact with him. They’d be competing after all.

And competing was what they were doing right now. Youngjae had picked a game at random which had turned out to be arm wrestling. Changkyun’s team had nominated Jaebum to go first. Jooheon’s team had gone with Hyunwoo. And now they were standing either side of the table, Hyunwoo studying the floor as Jaebum studied his fingernails. Occasionally Jaebum would glance up at Hyunwoo, each time looking like he wanted to say something. Maybe it was sorry, Changkyun thought he’d spotted worry or guilt on Jaebum’s face more than once that day when he’d been looking at Hyunwoo. But in front of the cameras obviously wasn’t the right place for him to apologise.

Thankfully Jackson was making too much of a fuss about dragging Jooheon into the team cheer he’d made up with BamBam for anyone else to notice. Aegyo was being employed and the camera crew were loving it. Everyone else was cringing but at least that meant they hadn’t picked up on what else was happening.

The two leaders stepped up to the table and Jaebum wrapped his hand around Hyunwoo’s. Changkyun watched as Hyunwoo looked up, briefly making eye contact with Jaebum. And there it was again, that sad, dejected look he’d been wearing all week. Jaebum opened his mouth as if to say something but Hyunwoo had already dropped his gaze back to the table.

Then the whistle was being blown and Hyunwoo only had to deal with holding his ex-boyfriend’s hand for a few more seconds because he was almost immediately slamming Jaebum’s hand down onto the table.

It didn’t look like Jaebum had offered much resistance, something the rest of Changkyun’s team had noticed too. Youngjae and Yugyeom were descending on their leader with cries of “Why?” and “What was that?”.

In contrast Jackson, Jooheon and BamBam were all slapping Hyunwoo on the back, praising him for a job well done.

And Hyunwoo kept up the good work, eliminating Kihyun, Youngjae and Jinyoung in quick succession. Then Wonho stepped up to the mark.

It was a close run thing but Wonho won and he managed to knock out every player on the opposing team but one. And that ‘one’ was Jackson Wang.

It took some considerable effort but Jackson managed to wrestle Wonho’s arm down to the table. And it was Jackson’s turn to be slapped on the back as his team mates celebrated like they’d won the whole game.

Changkyun shared a look with Yugyeom, the only person left to compete on their team other than him and had to admit that they probably had. Yugyeom might stand more of a chance than he did but that wasn’t saying much when he stood no chance at all. But Jinyoung was nodding at him so he squared his shoulders and stepped forward to meet his fate.

And as he’d predicted Jackson had his hand pinned to the table top in no time at all.

Embarrassed he’d made his way back to his team where he’d been met with back slaps and hair ruffling of consolation. It was fine he tried to reassure himself. It didn’t matter that he’d lost so quickly. He visited the gym sporadically at best, Jackson obviously visited it daily. He hadn’t been expecting to win.

Yugyeom was soon being subjected to a hair ruffling of pity from his hyungs too. That made his defeat sting a little less but only just. And then he was scolding himself again for letting it get to him in the first place when it didn’t really matter that he’d lost.

Then they were being told to take a break so the crew could set up for the next segment. Changkyun took a bottle of water and made his way to the edge of the room, finding a bench to sit on. Jooheon’s team were still on a high and being incredibly loud about it. Which in Changkyun’s opinion was completely unnecessary. They weren’t even on camera, there was no need for them to be showing off.

The only plus he supposed was that no one had picked up on how quiet Hyunwoo had been. He’d barely said a word to anyone all day and that wasn’t like him. The only person who’d seemed to notice other than him was Minhyuk who was watching their leader carefully looking slightly worried.

Then Jinyoung was right beside him and Changkyun almost spilled his water all over himself in surprise. “Hi.” He said once he’d regained his composure.

“Hi.” Jinyoung said in return, taking a swig from his own water bottle.

Not sure what to say Changkyun sat there feeling awkward as he watched Jooheon and Jackson mess around. He couldn’t hear what they were saying but it looked like Jackson was mimicking some of the faces Jooheon tended to pull when he performed. BamBam and Youngjae were finding the whole thing hilarious. And despite feigning annoyance it looked Jooheon was finding Jackson pretty funny too. Changkyun frowned. Jackson might be amusing but he was also annoyingly loud.

“You like him, don’t you?” Jinyoung observed, startling Changkyun for a second time.

“No.” Changkyun blurted as the question registered, the denial automatic. And then he realised he had no idea who Jinyoung was talking about. “Wait…” he said slowly, “… I like who?”

Jinyoung nodded in the direction Changkyun had just been looking.

Changkyun’s eyes found their way back to Jackson and Jooheon who were now in the midst of what looked like some kind of comedy dance battle. “I don’t.” he protested. “Not like that. We’re close in age and we work together a lot. I mean we both rap so that’s inevitable. We share a room too. So we’re close I guess. We’re just friends though. It isn’t anything more than that.”

Jinyoung nodded. “That makes sense.” He conceded.

Changkyun nodded too, relieved he’d prevented a huge misunderstanding.

But Jinyoung wasn’t done. “There are four or five people over there. Isn’t it funny you decided Jooheon was the person I meant?”

“I… just…” Changkyun stuttered, Jinyoung’s observation throwing him completely. “I thought that’s who you were looking at.” He finished lamely. Jinyoung was right. There were a lot of people over there. It was a little weird that’s he’d automatically assumed he was talking about Jooheon. But then he’d spent so much time with Jooheon lately that maybe it wasn’t so weird after all.

Jinyoung didn’t appear to be convinced.

“It’s true.” Changkyun insisted. If you counted the joke Minhyuk had made earlier it was the second time that day someone had wondered about his relationship with Jooheon. It was also the second time he’d flushed red over it.

“You’ve been glaring at Jackson like he’s done something to personally offend you.” Jinyoung pointed out. He sounded almost disappointed in him. “And the only reason I can think of for that is that you’re jealous.”

“I’ve not been glaring.” Changkyun told him. Or at least he hadn’t been aware he’d been glaring. And he certainly wasn’t jealous.

Jinyoung raised an eyebrow.

“If I have been glaring it’s only because he’s being so loud.” Changkyun said, trying to defend himself. “I have a headache.” He added. Yeah, that was it. Jackson’s lack of volume control was the problem, not Jackson himself. In fact if he was annoyed at anyone for anything it was Jooheon. Jooheon was the one who’d been ignoring his existence since they’d started filmig. Jackson had least said hi to him earlier.

Jinyoung thought for a second. “If that’s all it is…” he said at last,  “… then I made a mistake and I’m sorry.”

“That’s okay.” Changkyun assured him. It was an easy mistake to make he supposed.

But Jinyoung had more to say. “If I was right though and you do like him, please don’t do anything about it. As much as you like him just don’t.”

Changkyun didn’t know what he’d been expecting to hear but it hadn’t been that. “What?” he asked, confused.

“As much as you like him don’t try and start something. Dating when you’re in this job is hard enough, dating someone who does the same job as you is even harder.”

For a moment Changkyun thought Jinyoung was speaking from experience. Then he caught him glancing in Jaebum’s direction and he realised Jinyoung knew. He knew Jaebum had been dating someone and that it had ended badly. And from the wasy he'd worded his warning it sounded like he knew that someone was Hyunwoo. Changkyun wondered if Jaebum had trusted him enough to confide in him or if he’d worked it out himself like he and Jooheon had. He couldn’t ask though, not wothout letting on that he knew too and not when they were at real risk of being overheard. “I honestly don’t like him that way.” He said instead. “But if I did I wouldn’t do anything about it anyway.” He was fairly sure Jooheon didn’t like him like that either so confessing would be a pointless exercise.

“Good,” Jooheon said, seemingly satisfied. “That’s smart.”

Changkyun didn’t know quite what to say to that but he eventually settlend on “Thanks.”

Then they were being called back to join the group. Changkyun jumped up, telling himself to forget about what Jinyoung had just said to him. He needed to focus on making sure the rest of the filming went smoothly.

But even as he watched and worried over Hyunwo he couldn’t stop thinking about the conversation he’d just had. Jinyoung had seemed so sure he had feelings for Jooheon but he didn’t know why. He liked spending time with Jooheon. And yes, he thought Jooheon was smart and funny and kind. But that wasn’t the same thing as liking him. Was it?

 

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

A/N: Another busy weekend... another early update. Enjoy. And keep commenting. I love hearing what you think.