TWENTY

I'm Telling You

Jooheon had done what he’d promised he would do which was bring back Jaebum’s new number. He'd told them that according to Jackson Jaebum had lost his phone a few weeks ago and he'd had to replace it so it seemed he hadn’t blocked Hyunwoo’s number after all.

And Hyunwoo had surprised them both by immediately inputting the number into his own phone and heading for his room. There had been no ‘what if’s and no procrastination. He was going to call him and he was going to tell him about the baby and he’d worry about the consequences afterwards. It was a marked difference in attitude from when he’d first found out he was pregnant and Changkyun hadn’t been able to help feeling proud. It was nice to see him taking control and dealing with the situation head on.

But Hyunwoo had only been in his room for a few minutes before the door was opening again and he was wandering back down the hall, shoulders slumped, looking dejected.

“Are you okay?” Jooheon had asked.

“Do you need some help?” Had been Changkyun’s question. “Do you need us there?”

Hyunwoo’s answer had been a broken sounding “He hung up on me.”

It took a moment for what he’d heard to sink in and then Changkyun was spluttering “He did what?”

“He hung up on me.” Hyunwoo had repeated. “Before I could even tell him about the baby he hung up on me.” He’d gone on to explain that Jaebum hadn’t listened. He’d tried to tell him he needed to talk to him about something important but he’d talked over him, told him they couldn’t be friends, that it wouldn’t work and then he’d ended the call. When he’d tried to call him back there’d been no answer.

Jooheon had been the one to calm an understandably distraught Hyunwoo down. Changkyun had wanted to say something too, he'd wanted to make him feel better but he hadn’t trusted himself to speak. He’d only have said something that would have upset Hyunwoo further. He’d had to remind himself that as hurt as Hyunwoo was now he’d had feelings for Jaebum once. And even if he’d put those feelings to one side, which Changkyun didn’t think he had if his reaction to what had happened was anything to go by, he probably didn’t need to hear his friend calling the father of his baby unflattering names.

But it seemed Jooheon hadn't needed his help anyway, he'd done a pretty good job of convincing Hyunwoo that everything was going to be okay all by himself. He’d told him not to worry and that they’d find a way to make Jaebum listen. He’d told him try not to think about what he'd said and not to get upset. They’d fix it. They'd work something out, find a way to get through to him but in the meantime he should find something to distract him, he should try and calm down for the baby's sake if not his own. And it had worked. Hyunwoo was now sitting in the living room, watching TV with Minhyuk and Kihyun, doing his best to put Jaebum to the back of his mind.

Changkyun on the other hand was sitting cross legged on his bed, Jaebum at the forefront of his mind. And he was livid. “How could he do that to him?” He demanded of Jooheon who was sitting beside him, back against the wall, legs stretched out. “Hanging up on someone like that, it’s just rude. It’s disrespectful too.”

“It’s not the most grown up thing he could have done.” Jooheon agreed.

 Changkyun thought that was putting it mildly. “How could he hurt him like that?” He continued, anger refusing to fade. “Wasn’t breaking up with him enough? Did he have to tell him they couldn’t be friends too? They’ve known each other for a long time, since before they were dating. They were friends before they were anything else. Why would he cut off all contact like that? It’s like he never cared about him at all.”

Jooheon, who had been carefully studying the pattern on Changkyun’s bedding, brows furrowed, looked up. “I don’t know.” He said quietly. “I don’t think we should be so quick to judge. We don’t know what he was thinking when he told Hyunwoo Hyung what he did, do we?”

Changkyun didn’t understand how Jooheon could be so calm about it. He didn’t get why he wasn’t as angry about the situation as he was. “No we don’t.” Changkyun admitted. Jooheon seemed to be sticking up for Jaebum and he didn’t like it at all. Jaebum didn't deserve their sympathy, not after the way he'd treated their hyung.  “But could you do that? Say it was me and you, and for some reason we ended up dating. And then we  broke up. Would you cut me out of your life completely? Would you try and pretend we’d never even be friends?”

“To be honest,” Jooheon said slowly, expression thoughtful  “that’s hard to imagine.”

“You mean dating me?” Changkyun asked, feeling offended but not entirely sure why.

“No.” Jooheon said, looking at him like he was stupid. “I mean breaking up with you. If we were dating then why would I want to do that?”

“I don’t know,” Changkyun mumbled, thrown by Jooheon’s amendment. By saying he wouldn’t want to break up with him was he implying he’d actually thought about what it would be like to date him? No. No he couldn’t mean that. He was reading too much into it. Jooheon was just saying that they got on well that was all. They were friends and and they shared a lot of the same likes and the same values. That’s why he couldn’t imagine breaking up with him. He couldn’t imagine them disagreeing to the extent that that would happen. “Just imagine we did break up, for whatever reason.” He continued, trying to put the thought of dating Jooheon out of his mind. He didn’t need that kind of distraction. He had more important things to worry about than what would hypothetically happen if he and Jooheon ended up a couple. “Would you really not want to be friends anymore?”

“No. I couldn’t not talk to you anymore.” Jooheon admitted. “No matter what happened. I wouldn’t want to lose our friendship, that would . But I think only being friends when we used to be something more would be pretty hard too. I’d deal with it, if it meant I could still spend time with you but I’m sure it would be painful at first. Maybe that’s why Jaebum won’t speak to him. Maybe he doesn’t want to get hurt.”

“Yeah well…” Jooheon was making a lot of since but Changkyun didn’t really want to acknowledge that, he was still too angry, “… Hyunwoo tried to tell him it wasn’t about that but he wouldn’t listen. He could have at least let him finish what he was trying to say. It was just rude.”

“It wasn’t exactly polite.” Jooheon agreed. “But it’s fine. We’ll work something out, find another way to tell him.”

Changkyun wasn’t feeling quite so optimistic. “Like how? If he won’t pick up the phone when Hyunwoo calls then why would he pick up the phone to us?”

“Well I was thinking, that rather than call him, maybe a letter would work better. “ Jooheon suggested.

“A letter?” Changkyun echoed. Had he gone insane? “We can’t post him a letter. What if someone else opens it?”

Jooheon shook his head, looking at him like he was the one who’d lost his mind. “I’m not suggesting we send it through the post. I’m suggesting Hyunwoo writes him a letter and we get it delivered to him in person. He won’t be able to ignore a letter, he’ll want to know what’s inside. And it’s not like he can talk over it either. Hyunwoo hyung can explain things to him in exactly the way he wants to without getting interrupted.”

Jooheon had a point. It was easy to ignore a phone call, it was much harder to ignore a letter. Even if he didn’t want to open it at first Changkyun was sure the curiosity would get the better of Jaebum eventually and he’d end up reading it. But there was a definite flaw in Jooheon’s plan. “How are we going to deliver it in person? It’s not like management are going to agree to us visiting Got7’s dorm. They won’t even let us go to the shop on the corner without as in case we say something we shouldn’t and news of Hyunwoo hyung's pregnancy gets out.”

“We don’t need to go to the dorm.” Jooheon told him. “If things work out how I hope they will then we can get Jackson to deliver the letter to him.”

Okay… firstly Changkyun didn't understand why every conversation they had seemed to come around somehow to Jackson. And secondly he didn’t see how this plan was any better than heading over to Got7’s dorm and delivering the letter themselves. “And how are you gong to get the letter to Jackson?” he asked, confused. “They’re not going to let you out to meet him either.”

“They might not have to. Things went really well at the radio station today, the staff were talking about us maybe hosting a corner together for a while, Got7’s promotions are coming to an end too so we’ve both got time on our hands. They want to arrange a meeting to talk about it.”

“Oh…” Changkyun hadn’t even asked him how things had gone at the radio station he realised, feeling guilty. The first thing he'd asked him when he'd  walked through the door had been if he had Jaebum's number. He could be a really bad friend sometimes. “… well that’s exciting.” He said, trying to sound happy for him. Jooheon was such a natural when it came to hosting and he worked so well with Jackson that it wasn’t a huge surprise that the radio station wanted them back. He did feel a little put out though. He’d been looking forward to spending more time with Jooheon, they'd had plans to work on some music together and now it looked like he’d be spending most of his time with Jackson instead. And talking of Jackson… “But I still don’t see how it’s going to work. If we give him the letter how do we know he won’t get curious and take a look before he delivers it to Jaebum? We can’t risk that.”

“Jackson wouldn’t do that.” Jooheon insisted. “If I make him promise not to open it then he won’t open it.”

“How do you know that?” Changkyun asked, not convinced. Telling anyone else was far too dangerous. If news of Hyunwoo’s pregnancy was leaked before the agency were ready to go public then they were going to be furious.

“I’ve told you before, he’s a friend.” Jooheon said, in a tone that left no room for argument. “I trust him. And I know you don’t know him as well as I do, but you trust me, don’t you? If you trust me and you trust my judgement then when I tell you we can count on him that should be enough.”

And Changkyun immediately deflated. Jooheon was right. He did trust Jooheon and that should be enough. “Fine.” He said, still not happy about it but unable to argue, “we’ll do it. We’ll go with your letter plan. But if it backfires then I’m blaming you.”

“It won’t backfire,” Jooheon assured him, a hand going to his shoulder and so he could give it a reassuring squeeze, “I can’t promise you Jaebum will react well to the letter, I can’t even promise you he’ll read it but I can promise you that Jackson will deliver it to him if we ask him to. And if he does that then at least we can say we tried.”

“I suppose so.” Changkyun conceded with a sigh. “I mean it’s the best plan we’ve got. I just hope Jaebum does read it. And if he does read it I hope he steps up and take some responsibility.” After everything that had happened it was the least Hyunwoo deserved.