NINETEEN

I'm Telling You

It was good to have Hyunwoo home. Things hadn’t gone completely back to normal, there was a slight lingering awkwardness as if people didn’t know quite what to say to their leader now he was back or know quite how to treat him. Changkyun supposed that was understandable, last time most of them had seen him he’d just been Hyunwoo, now he was no longer just Hyunwoo he was Hyunwoo plus one. It was strange to think that he was carrying a baby around with him and had been for weeks. But despite the awkwardness people had still been supportive. Hyunwoo had been so worried about coming home and facing the rest of the group but no one had bombarded him with questions or voiced their disappointment like he’d been expecting them to and Changkyun was glad. Hyunwoo had seemed so much happier the last couple of days he’d spent in hospital, he’d seemed to be coming to terms with things and he hadn’t wanted that ruined. He’d been through so much lately, he deserved a break.

And he was getting one. Not only were most of them currently schedule free but no one had let him lift a finger since he’d come home. Whenever he offered to cook or clean up or even grab some snacks from the kitchen there was always someone there who would offer to do it for him, usually adding a reminder to take it easy. And every time this happened Hyunwoo always looked so touched. He seemed genuinely surprised by everyone’s concern as if he didn’t think he deserved it. It was equal parts adorable and equal parts sad and made Changkyun want to hug him.

He was sitting there looking touched now because Hyungwon had just asked him how he was feeling and when he’d told him he had a bit of a headache he’d offered to go and tell Wonho to stop blasting music from his room. Hyunwoo had told him it was okay, his headache wasn’t that bad so the music was still blasting but he’d thanked Hyungwon wholeheartedly anyway.

“Are you sure?” Hyungwon asked. He was sitting in the armchair to Hyunwoo’s right and he still looked worried. “I don’t mind telling him.”

Changkyun understood where the worry was coming from. Hyunwoo had had a good few days, he’d suffered from no nausea at all and his appetite had been back but this morning he’d been hit with a surprise bout of morning sickness and spent a good half an hour in the bathroom throwing up. It was now early afternoon and he hadn’t been sick again but he had been quiet ever since and he hadn’t eaten a lot either. He’d sat down with them for lunch but he’d only picked at his food. But Changkyun thought that was more to do with where Jooheon was right now than with how sick he felt. Because Jooheon had headed off this morning to fill in for a radio show presenter who was on holiday and his co-host was Jackson of Got7. Before he’d left he’d promised to try and get Jaebum’s number for him and Changkyun knew that had to be playing on his mind.

“No really,” Hyunwoo was saying now, “it’s okay.”

“Do you want some water then?” Hyungwon asked next. “I haven’t seen you drink a lot today, that can’t be helping.”

“Yeah, yeah I guess water wouldn’t hurt.” Hyunwoo agreed with a smile. “But I can get it…” and he made to get up.

Hyungwon didn’t let him. “No it’s okay Hyung,” he said, getting to his feet first, “I’m getting myself something anyway. I’ll get it.”

“See,” Changkyun told Hyunwoo when Hyungwon had left the room, “I told you no one would be mad at you.”

“You did.” Hyunwoo agreed. “But I still think they should be. I really messed up.”

Changkyun sighed. They’d been over this so many times already. “You didn’t mean for this to happen.” He reminded him for what felt like the hundredth time.

“I know that.” Hyunwoo assured him. “But that isn’t going to make it any easier for people. It isn’t going to make…” and he stopped, looking over his shoulder to check if Hyungwon was on his way back yet. When it seemed he wasn’t he continued, voice hushed, “… it isn’t going to make telling Jaebum any easier either. If Jooheon does manage to get his number then I have no excuse not to but… I don’t know if I can. I mean what if I tell him and he doesn’t believe me? What if he just hangs up? What do I do then?”

“He won’t…” Changkyun started to say but Hyunwoo was already shaking his head.

“He might. His career, that was the reason he called things off in the first place. He thought if our relationship went public it might hinder his career so what is he going to think when he finds out he’s going to be a father? That’s not just going to hinder his career, it’s going to destroy it.”

“He should have thought about that before he got into something with you in the first place.” Changkyun told him, having no sympathy for Jaebum at all. He’d broken up with Hyunwoo, he’d hurt him and for what? To avoid losing a few fans. Caring about your fans was all well and good but someone who would put a strangers opinion above Hyunwoo’s feelings was someone he didn’t have time for.

“So should I.” Hyunwoo reminded him. “But neither of us thought about that first and now here we are.” He said, one arm wrapping itself around his middle.

It was an almost protective gesture and there was such a look of apprehension on Hyunwoo’s face that Changkyun wanted to strangle Jaebum all the more. Hyunwoo had been worrying himself sick about this whole situation for so long while Jaebum had been happily getting on with his life. And okay yes, he didn’t know but whose fault was that? From what Hyunwoo was saying Jaebum was the one who’d ended things between them, he was the one who’d possibly blocked Hyunwoo’s number and cut all contact. “Well even if he doesn’t want to know you’ve still got us, haven’t you?” Changkyun told him. If Jaebum really was going to be an idiot and pretend the baby wasn’t his then that was his problem. Hyunwoo didn’t need that kind of negativity.

“Who’s still got us?” Hyungwon asked, appearing in the kitchen doorway, glass of water in hand.

“Hyunwoo hyung.” Changkyun told him, trying not to let on that his sudden appearance had almost caused him a heart attack. Seriously, he needed to stop having confidential conversations in places people could walk in on him. It was getting ridiculous, Hyungwon might not have heard anything he shouldn’t have this time but he could have. They needed to be more careful. “I was just telling him that no matter what anyone else thinks he’s still got us.”

“You do.” Hyungwon agreed, making his way over and holding the glass out to Hyunwoo. “I mean none of us are childcare experts or anything but we’ll be here to help.”

“Thank you.” Hyunwoo said as he took the glass from him and Changkyun was sure it was more for the words than for the water.

“I mean it.” Hyungwon told him. “I don’t know what your plans are. I don’t know if you’re going home to have the baby or if you’re staying close to us but either way we’ll help in any way we can.”

“I don’t know what my plans are either.” Hyunwoo admitted. “I don’t know if they’ll let me back in the group once he baby’s born or if I’ll even want to come back. My cousin had a baby last year and all through her pregnancy she planned to go back to work but once she’d had the baby she changed her mind. She decided to take a year or two out instead. What if that’s what I want? I doubt Starship would hold my place for me.”

“Of course they would.” Changkyun told him. How could he think so little of himself. “Monsta X wouldn’t be Monsta X without you and they know that.”

“Exactly.” Hyungwon said, backing him up. He took a seat on the floor next to Hyunwoo gave his thigh a reassuring pat. “And even if you did decide to take some time out, even if you decided never to come back we’d still be there to help. We’re friends aren’t we? “

“I guess…” Hyunwoo mumbled, still sounding unsure as he stared down at the water in his hands.

“We are.” Changkyun insisted. “I mean if it was me or Hyungwon in your position would you just abandon us?”

“No.” Hyunwoo said, looking up and sounding horrified by the thought. “Never.”

“Then what makes you think we’d abandon you?” Hyungwon asked him. “We mean it, no matter what anyone else says we’re going to be here for you and the baby. We’re going to be the best uncles ever.”

“Or we’ll try to be.” Changkyun amended. Hyungwon was somewhat of a natural with kids but he was acutely aware of the fact that he wasn’t but he'd try his best.

“You’ll be great.” Hyunwoo told him, “I’m glad I’ve got friends like you, I really am.”

“I don’t know if you should be glad you’ve got friends like Wonho.” Hyungwon told him before things could get too emotional. “I’m sure he’s turned that music up since I went to get you water.”

“I told you, it’s fine.” Hyunwoo assured him, smile back on his face.

“It won’t be fine when the neighbours start banging on the door.” Hyungwon argued and he hopped to his feet. “I’m going to go tell him to be quiet.”

“You don’t…” Hyunwoo started to say but Hyungwon was already striding purposefully out of the room.

“Want to see if Jooheon’s on the radio yet?” Changkyun asked as they heard Wonho’s door slam shut and the music cut off abruptly.

“Sure.” Hyunwoo agreed and hoping neither Hyungwon or Wonho ended up killing each other Changkyun jumped up and went to find the remote.