Lonely snowflake

That bright summer day

 

It was snowing, delicate snowflakes were falling from the sky, not moved by any wind, simply descending so slowly that Kyungsoo almost thought they were frozen in the air. It was a white vastness, infinite by all sides, nothing moved, nothing existed besides him and the only proof was that he could see his feet, secured from the coldness in some combat boots. Something wasn't right: he couldn't hear. It was not silence, he really couldn't hear; he tried to clap his hands but no sound was made, no noise.

Waves of panic surged onto him: there was no escape, no way out of that place. His ears were there but his hearing wasn't, to him, that was hell.

Calm yourself, he thought, you are smart and strong, you can do this. You will work something out.

But the more the seconds dragged on, the more despair he felt in his heart. He tried to sing but no words came out of his mouth that he could hear.

He was alone, completely alone.

And then, something warm fell on his shoulder: an arm, five fingers gently placed on his back.

“This place looks very depressing. Want to go out?” Jongin asked.

Kyungsoo felt a shock of relief to hear his words, his hearing back to normal, but also because he was there. It was not just any person, he was Jongin, graceful and fun Jongin.

You are falling for him. Said his heart and, for once, his head was ok with it, because healthy love has no reason to be stopped, even more if it could be Kyungsoo's savior.

Yeah. Let's go.

 

 

He woke up in his arms, breathing in his shoulder, their legs tangled up together. Covering his red cheeks with one hand, he quietly got up and reached for his phone, trying not to wake Jongin up.

-How did it go yesterday night? Did you kiss him? Did he kiss you ;-)? Wanna hear all the details. Chan-

Kyungsoo chuckled at Chanyeol's text and replied that he would answer all his question at school.

"What time is it?" Asked a muffled voice, still groggy from the sleep.

"It's early. You can sleep another twenty minutes"

Jongin's blonde hair were all over the place, like a halo and his eyes were still half shut and puffy. Kyungsoo had to press his lips together not to smile: how could someone that normally looked so cool bee that cute in the morning?

“I think I will”

As his face plopped onto the pillow again, he started breathing slower, quietly snoring. Kyungsoo went with his mind again to his dream and smiled: maybe he needed this, maybe he could allow this.

He went into the kitchen and started cooking breakfast for the two of them, humming the song he would have to perform at the end of the summer’s concert. He felt so light that morning, like all his heavy worrying had gone out of his stomach and his lungs, leaving only his real body, fresh and clean, onto earth. With a trail in his hands, he went to his bedroom, feeling a slight sense of de ja vu, and entered. Jongin was sitting on top of his bed, scratching his eyes and yawning, still in his pajama.

“I think your bed is ten times more comfortable than mine. If you one day return home and you don’t find it anymore, know it was me who stole it”

“I guess. My mother ordered it especially for me so I wouldn’t have back pain.”

“You must have a very loving mother then”

Kyungsoo smiled somberly and handed his friend the plate with breakfast. He thought about calling his mother one of those days, it had been such a long time since he had heard from her. His father was always busy with work but sometimes he received emails from him, but his mother was at war with computers so he had to call her on the house’s phone if he wanted to talk to her.

All dressed up and with full stomachs, the two young men went to the bus stop and were lucky enough to find places to sit, so they didn’t have to worry about another wave of men and women who took the same vehicle to go to work.

Chanyeol was waiting for him at the main gate of the college, alone and with a huge grin on his face. Kyungsoo waved Jongin goodbye and went to greet his friend.

“So…?” asked the giant.

“So what?”

“Tell me how it went. I’m dying of curiosity”

Kyungsoo laughed at the sight of his friend’s sparkling eyes and almost felt sad to break his expectations.

“I’m sorry Yeollie, but it didn’t happen what you expected. The stereo broke down at night and I had a little crisis but he was able to pull me out of it”

Chanyeol looked at the short singer, smelling something fishy.

“You are leaving out the juicy part, I’m sure” he said, crinkling his nose.

Kyungsoo, taken aback, couldn’t stop his ears from going red.

“Ok, ok. It wasn’t a little crisis, it was actually a disaster and he nicely slept with me to calm me down. But it wasn’t out of pity or anything, he… I… “

There was a moment of silence, but the singer could almost hear the friend’s lips curve upward.

“Omo! You are falling for him!” Chanyeol covered his cheeks with his hands, hiding one of his famous smiles “You have to be the cutest fluffball ever”

Kyungsoo glared at his friend, turning cold all of a sudden.

“Say it again and I will cut your ears off”

“No, everything but my ears!”

The two ended up laughing their way to their classrooms. If there were a couple of friends closer than them, they didn’t know, but it was highly improbable to find any.

 

 

Sehun was grumpier than ever. He greeted Jongin with a low growl, not even bothering to look his way. Not only he didn’t find Luhan, or vice versa, but he had to spend his night between three girls who had decided to make their mission to keep on bothering him all night long.

“Wanna sit with us?”

“You are cute; which major are you taking?”

“I think it would be fun to go out sometimes”

No. no. no. At the end, he had exploded, telling the girls to off and leave him alone. He didn’t cry, but he felt a surging feeling of helplessness in his chest he was not happy to think about. He had gone home earlier than everyone else, collapsing on his bed, waiting all night long for Luhan’s text. It had come at three a.m. in the morning.

-You are home I suppose-

-Yes. It was full of ugly people, I wasn’t having a good time-

-From peasant to ugly, improvements I guess. I swear I searched for you the whole time, but there were so many people I couldn’t even distinguished the ones I knew from the others-

Sehun had let out a breath of relief. At least he had thought of him.

-What would you have done if you had found me?-

It was a rushed question, but he was really dying to know.

-I don’t know. Knowing me, probably run away ahahah. No, for real, I would have come up to you and pull you into the most awkward hug of the entire history and then hit for not recognizing me-

-How do you know I wouldn’t?-

-Trust me, I know you better than you do. You would have thought: who is this weird guy? How does he dare to hug me? So I would hit you and then hug you again, just to be coherent-

-Go to sleep-

-I will. I’ll dream of you-

Sehun told himself not to blush, Oh Sehun doesn’t blush, but how couldn’t he? He didn’t reply, tossing his phone on the other side of the room and hiding his face in the blankets up the nose.

Underneath everything, he had wished to visit Luhan in his dream too, even if he didn’t know how to picture him, even if he couldn’t find him. He was still in love.

 

 

“I’m sorry for last night” said Jongin, trying not to show his shy smile “You should have come with us. It was very fun”

Sehun let out a heavy sigh.

“No, I would have been only your third wheel. At least you could spend time with your dream boy. How was he, by the way? A little bird told me you didn’t return home last night” he said with a sly smile, trying to get his mind out of the depressing thoughts.

“How in the world…? No, never mind. I’m almost scared to know your sources.” Jongin tortured his hands shyly “I think Kyungsoo is a very lonely person. He is not frail like I thought, he carries to weight of his loneliness everyday with incredible strength, but that makes me want to be by his side even more. Oh, God!” the young man pressed his hands onto his face, not to give away his flushed expression “You can’t even begin to imagine how cute he his”

Sehun tried hard to not smile or laugh. His friend’s first real crush, he was going to remember that moment. Sure, there had been some other girls, even some boys, but Jongin was actually not a very effusive person, so he most of the time only talked to them once or twice, crushing on the distance. This time though, he seems to have fallen harder: his eyes were full of sparkles every time he mentioned the dream boy, his smile fuller, his entire person brighter. He was almost jealous.

“Jongin, I think the whole campus knows. Someone as unique as him is one everybody’s mouth: he probably doesn’t even notice it, but girls giggle when he passes in the hallways, some even follow him around. They call him Dream Boy as an actual name, because his eyes always seem to wonder everywhere but this Earth”

A spark of jealousy flashed in Jongin’s eyes. He never thought there could be rivals along his path, especially girls. Maybe he had misunderstood and Kyungsoo preferred them as boys. God Sehun was good at sowing discord in his head.

“Sehun I hate you” he said, resting his forehead on his desk.

His friend just laughed.

“I wouldn’t worry like that. If he never showed any interest in them, I’m sure he won’t start now that you are a possibility”

Jongin wanted to believe Sehun’s words, but once doubt creeps into your mind, it never fully goes away.

“Why don’t you go at his singing lesson? Today the dance professor is doing a meeting with other colleagues, you have the evening off”

That seemed a good idea, he could hear him sing and, afterward, they could talk. Jongin’s heart was suddenly lighter: he would hear him sing. He was sure it was going to be magical.

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

I'm having far too much fun with gifs these days, I'm sorry. Anyway dreamy Kyungsoo has charmed my heart. And Jongin's ^__^