The dinosaur's melancholy

That bright summer day

He woke up in a room that wasn’t his: the floor was a giant mess of clothes, make up, packaged food… and there was a vague smell of sugar hanging in the air. From a tiny stereo, some low jazz music was playing, melting his fears away into a puddle, probably the reason he slept so well that night. In another bed, on the other side of the room, Chanyeol and Baekhyun were sleeping soundly, one in the arms of the other, snoring quietly. They had the faces of angels, Kyungsoo thought, loud and lovable angels. He decided not to wake them up and silently went into the kitchen to bake them breakfast.

He was wearing one of Chanyeol shirts as pajama but it was too big for him, almost like a dress, so he had to roll up his sleeves to wash the rice. Balancing the plates onto his arms he headed back to the bedroom, but a sudden sound made him stop; as susceptible to noise as he was, he had developed a perfect hearing, so he caught the sound of the two boys kissing before opening the door. It was heavy breathing, whispering and lips clasping into each other in a wet spiral.

He left the two plates in front of the door and got out of the house, sitting on the porch’s step, finally returning his gaze to the sky: it was baby blue, with sheep-like clouds all over it, covering half of the sun, throwing funny shadows all over the ground.

Why did he felt so lonely all of a sudden? It wasn’t the first time he had them kissing with him there, but something that day felt wrong. Was he able to get that intimate with a person? He knew nothing about how to relate to a person in that way, he had never had the need to learn, but now something had changed. The world seemed a little too much for him at that moment, too bright.

"Here you were! Move your or we will be late" said Chanyeol from behind him, half in his pajama.

"And thank you for the breakfast" Added Baekhyun with a smile.

"You’re welcome. If you guys want to go by car, I will gladly take the bus"

The two boys glanced at each other with unconcealed worry.

"Are you sure?"

"Come on! I’m not made of glass. I just want some time to think alone"

Changed into his usual clothes, he waved his friends goodbye as he approached the bus stop, turning up the volume of the music in his earphones. Thinking about his friends, who adored each other so much and still had some love spare to give him, hurt his heart in a new painful way. It never ceded to amuse him how little things could hurt a person so powerfully.

Still lost in his thoughts he got on the bus, only to find himself smashed against an unknown chest by a large group of business man and woman who got in after him. He tried to bow and apologize to the person he was stuck to but he found himself at loss of words. And space to move around.

"Kyungsoo! Are you okay?" asked Jongin with a careful smile.

"I’m fine." he replied, struggling not to get too much into physical contact with him "I’m sorry I ran off yesterday, I wasn’t feeling well. If I caused you some trouble, I am very sorry"

Jongin tried to catch the other’s eyes, even just a glance, bust they were glued to the floor. More people got on the vehicle and somebody clashed his elbow into Kyungsoo’s back, making him cough not to scream for the pain, so Jongin gently placed his hand on his waist, getting him closer.

Kyungsoo had never felt a shot of adrenaline that powerful in his life: he could smell Jongin’s perfume from his shirt, could hear his heart pounding fast in his chest, against his ribs, could feel his gentle touch on him. One time he had slept with Chanyeol, the day his mother kicked him out of his house because of his new found uality, and he had hugged him all night long, but that was totally different. Back then, he had shed tears with his friend, trying to get away from the loneliness, failing miserably. Jongin’s hug felt like anything else was important, not the crowded heat, not the muffled noises, not the heart wrenching feelings in his soul.

Tu-tum, tu-tum… the beat in his chest was like a spell, lulling him into oblivion.

Buried as he was in his shirt, Kyungsoo couldn’t see Jongin blushing harder than ever in his life, but that was okay. Time could go slow, just for that day.

 

Sehun only barely acknowledged Jongin’s presence next to him as his friends fell onto his chair with a heavy sigh: he was casually chatting with Luhan as always, trying really hard not to mention the concert that night. His mind was a tornado of thoughts: were they really going to meet? What would Luhan look like? What if he was actually a girl? He had been in love with him for so long he didn’t even remember how normal relationships worked anymore. Nobody in his family knew about this and it was better that way; he wasn’t sure how they would take in the fact that their only son liked a guy he had never seen.

He had fantasized to meet Luhan so many times that now the thought of actually doing it terrified him. Endless possibilities were spinning in his mind, one worst then the latter, to the point where his hands began shaking so hard he had to put his phone down.

Jongin, who was observing his friend for quite some time, did not waste a second and closed his fingers around his friends’.

"If there is something you want to talk to me about, I’m right here, you know?"

Sehun bit his lip, trying not to look as frustrated as he felt.

"Me and Luhan… we’re both going to the beach concert this night and there is a real chance we could meet"

Jongin looked at him, eyes widened.

"After all these years, you are really going to meet? In real life?"

His friend nodded conflicted, making Jongin smile to grow sweeter.

"This is troubling you, right?"

"I was the one who asked him actually, because he is the only one who can approach the other, but thinking about it now, there is too much that can go wrong. I can’t lose him Jongin, I just can’t." his voice lowering to a whisper.

The dancer looked at his friends with empathy: Sehun wasn’t the friendliest kid in the college, actually he could be the grumpiest when it came to meeting new people, and the few ones he had in his life were special and he couldn’t afford to lose anyone or he would be lost. He squeezed his hands tight.

"Don’t worry. The worst thing it could happen is that you don’t meet, which is very likely to happen because there is going to be the entire college at that concert. Or, and this is what I think, he will approach you and it will be awkward and lovely." he smiled cunningly "And then you will start making out making everybody super uncomfortable"

Despite everything, all his negative and destructive thought, Sehun found himself laughing along his friend. When he was assigned to be Jongin partner in a long term project he had thought he had made a huge mistake to apply for that course; outwardly, he seemed like the typical handsome guy who would make anyone fall for him with his huge ego, but it only took Sehun two minutes of conversation to realize it was quite the opposite: Jongin was almost shy, caring beyond his every expectation and just a great friend. That is why he chose him as an honorary member of his friends’ club. Of course there were only three members: Jongin, Luhan and himself. And it was only a thing he had created in his head. But to him, it counted.

"Thank you" he said, putting away his phone in his pocket. "Just promise me you will come with me tonight"

"On this matter…"

Sehun widened his eyes and brought one hand to his mouth to cover his giggles.

"Jongin, are you blushing?! Never in my life have I seen you embarrassed in that way. Tell me who you are going with right this instant" he said, trying not to laugh too hard.

"I’m not having a date, let me be clear. I’m going with my new friend Kyungsoo, I told you about him"

That was it: Sehun couldn’t contain himself anymore.

"Omo! Are you going with the dream boy? That is the cutest thing in the universe. The best dancer and the best singer, you guys are so American-movie predictable"

Jongin raised an eyebrow.

"The best singer?"

"Yeah. Since you seemed interested I asked Luhan to do some more research on the boy: he almost never sings outside the music room and never in front of a large group of people, but my stalker friend one time went at one of the raise fund events two years ago and he was forced to sing. He said his voice was angelic, so beautiful that he had to grab a chair because it was hard to stand. A lot of art academies and companies had proposed him some highly paid places, even from Europe, but he turned them all down to stay here"

Jongin blinked twice as fast as before: how could he have not known? Below his big eyes, that look as if they could contain all the clouds in the sky, he had a mouth he barely used, but what would it be to hear him sing?

"Sehun" he chuckled quietly "You are more of a stalker than Luhan"

 

 

A dinosaur. That cloud definitely looked like a dinosaur. Between taking notes for a lecture he actually was interested in and reading a passage from the book they were analyzing, he stole few glances at the sky, which was the color of a periwinkle that day. The feeling of his burning cheeks, trapped in Jongin’s arms, still lingered in his memory, making him stop writing for some seconds before he could snap out of his day dream.

He had never felt so calm in years, since he was still in high school, when silence was still tolerable. He pressed his index finger onto his temple, trying to clear his thoughts: if he closed his eyelids, all he could see was Jongin and a gentle tranquility invaded his body, flowing through his veins like a river. He wanted to feel that way forever, never again lonely, never sad or panicked.

He felt his phone buzzing from his pocket and he discretely checked it, covering it with his textbook: it was Chanyeol.

"We meet at seven at the beach’s parking lot. Cool shirt required. It is gonna be AWESOME! :-)"

Kyungsoo could not help but smile. He had the dumbest sweetest friend.

A gentle breeze made his hair wave in front of his eyes. The clouds were navigating in the sky like little ships, his dinosaur losing its shape, transforming into something new: a crow, no an angel. Wait, a dancer.

-Keep your dreams together Kyungsoo. You can’t begin to see him everywhere-

And the cloud changed again. Now it was a star with curly hair.

Kyungsoo sighed, as the day was still a long one and the heat wasn’t going to cease harassing his neck. In the evening he had a special singing rehearse for a mandatory show at the end of the summer program and if there was something he hated more than silence, was singing in front of a large audience: all their eyes glued to his figure, waiting for him to cast his spell, away all the magic from him and leaving only the unpleasant feeling of being drowned. But it was mandatory and Kyungsoo was not a quitter: he would do it once, then go home and enjoy the rest of summer in peace.

"I’ll be there. Don’t complain if I don’t have a cool enough shirt"

 

 

Yixing was already home when Jongin entered the apartment, scattering his things across his bed.

"Had a nice day?" asked the older.

His roommate smiled opening the wardrobe and beginning to search for something.

"Not yet. Tonight I’m going to the beach concert with the new friends I talked to you about. I think it will be fun"

Yixing had possibly one of the most boring yet surprising day of his life, reviewing again the script for the character Goneril because the actress who played her role was unsatisfied with a few lines. Well, more than half of her lines. Alone in his little office he sat for hours, confronting older versions of the play to find the perfect dialogue. With precise handwriting he had compiled a new script, the best he could have made and was beginning to type it down on the computer when suddenly someone had entered his room.

"Oh, I’m sorry. I thought this was the storage room"

Junmyeon was wearing gym clothes with a shiny expensive watch that seemed entirely out of place, but if it was him who wore it, it only added at the comical effect of the person.

"Yixing, what are you doing?"

The writer smiled, happy that at least someone was interested in his work.

"I’m revising your daughter’s script: she said her character had come out too snob, so I’m doing it again. Words have the most impact in a play, especially one such as King Lear, so I’m really taking my time with this"

Junmyeon looked amused.

"So it is you who wrote all our lines?"

"I only took previous versions and rearranged for a more modern audience to be able to experience it as well. Nothing that special"

"Are you kidding me? Your job is not “nothing special”, it is very important. I wouldn’t be able to do my part if it wasn’t for you." the actor realized how heated he was while talking and covered his mouth, embarrassed "Care if I stay here over my break? My other colleagues are a bit…"

"Full of themselves? Yes, they are, but they are also the best actor you can find here in Seoul so might as well bear them for a while. Plus, it’s not that bad when you get to know them outside the theater

Junmyeon found a chair not covered by books or flying paper and he sat down settling comfortably on the armrests.

"You must be a very patient person then-

Yixing looked at the actor in confusion, then he broke into chuckles.

"Yes I am"

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Chen plus dinosaur = Chensaur. Nothing to add if not thank you for the lovely comments and sorry if I'm too shy to reply ^__^