When Love Comes

CODE 27: 309 x 801
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hi there readers! This thread passed the 300th subcription mark, thank you for that. Hope you've enjoying the shots I've been putting up. As promised, here's the 6th story for this space. The next story will be a two-shot (or maybe three) so please look forward to it. As usual, comments and upvotes are very much appreciated and see you in the next story ^^

♪ Song of the chapter: Lee Hong Ki - When Love Comes ♪

***

Tiffany entered the vintage-looking store. This place was recommended by her friends when she asked them for the best place to get the law books she needed for her pupilage.

She looked around the interior with slightly agape, amazed by the pretty decorations, huge shelves and the countless number of books. As a book lover, she fell in love at first sight with this place. This is heaven.

She walked in, eyes browsing through the stack of books that was on the table nearest to her. The second wave of amazement hit her when she saw some of the books that took her so long to find on the Internet. This place has everything.

A girl that was slightly shorter approached her when she reached the middle of the store.

“Hi there, anything I can help you with?”

“Hi,” Tiffany replied with a smile. Cute staff. “I’m looking for some law books but I’m not sure if you have them? Here.” She handed a piece of paper with the titles written on it.

“Hmm, let’s see.”

Tiffany watched as the girl went around the store while looking at the list she provided, picking up a book from one of the huge shelves, one from the stack on the table that was further in and one book from the display stand near the window. The girl walked back with the three books and placed them at the counter where she was at. Tiffany assumed the store only had three of the four books that were listed on the paper, but the girl disappeared behind the counter for half a minute before appearing again with the last book, placing it on top of the stack.

“Wow, you guys really have everything.”

“Certainly not, but we do have quite a variety."

“My friend recommended me the right place.”

“Ah, your friends recommended you here?”

“Yup. They said you guys have almost every book in the world and that I would be able to find whatever I want. Seems like they’re right.”

“Thank your friends for me then.” The girl smiled. “Just these today?”

Tiffany nodded. “Would love to get more but I don’t think I can carry them all at one go.”

“Law student huh?” The girl scanned the books. “Trainee?”

“Mm-hmm.”

“Nice. Solicitor or barrister?”

“Solicitor,” Tiffany answered while paying for her purchase. “You know quite a lot for a bookstore staff huh?”

The girl chuckled. “Wouldn’t consider this as knowing a lot. Law is pretty interesting.”

“Why didn’t you pursue it then?”

“Too stiff and strict. I can’t sit in the office for too long. My back will crack from sitting and my fingers will fall off from typing reports. Definitely not something I can do.” The girl placed the books in a paper bag. “Here you go. Hope to see you again.”

“I’ll be back, trust me. I’ve already set my eyes on some of the books I saw.”

“Want me to keep them for you?”

“Can you?”

“Of course. Just be back within two weeks or the books will go back outside.”

“That would be lovely. Thank you.”

Tiffany proceeded to tell the girl the books she wanted before leaving the store after bidding goodbye to the staff she deemed cute.

===

“Hi, remember me?”

“Of course I do.” The girl smiled. Why would I forget such a pretty customer? “Here to pick up your books?”

“Yup.”

“Just in time, I see. They were going to go back out tomorrow. Busy two weeks?”

“Quite. My mentor dropped a test on me and if I fail, I have to stop pupilage so I had to prepare super hard.”

“I see. How is the preparation coming along?”

“I actually just had the test before I came.”

“Oh, how did it go?”

“Passed it, thankfully,” Tiffany heaved a sigh of relief as she said.

“Nice. Not going out for a celebration with your friends or fellow trainees?”

“I’m actually the only pupil in the firm I’m at right now, and all my friends have something on so it’s just me tonight.”

“That’s not nice.”

Tiffany raised her brows.

“I don’t mean that’s not nice of your friends.” The girl quickly added. “I just meant it isn’t nice to not celebrate something worth celebrating.”

Tiffany let out a chuckle as she looked at the flustered girl. Cute.

“I know what you mean.”

“Since you are free tonight, do I have the honor to show you another place that I think you may like?”

“My mother told me not to follow strangers,” Tiffany joked.

“You know me so that doesn’t make me a stranger, does it?”

“But I don’t even know your name.”

“Ah, where are my manners.” The girl held out her hand. “My name is Taeyeon.”

“Nice to meet you, Taeyeon. I’m Tiffany.” Tiffany shook Taeyeon’s hand lightly. “And sure, I’d love to visit some place that you think I may like now that you’re no longer a stranger.”

“Great. Give me 15 minutes? I’ll just do a little packing up and we can go.”

“Am I interrupting business here?”

“Not at all. We were going to close anyway.”

“Okay then.”

Tiffany went to browse at the books on the shelves while waiting. She already had her eyes on some books again in that short 15 minutes.

“We can go now.”

Tiffany followed Taeyeon out of the bookstore. Taeyeon locked the door before opening another door within a short distance away. They went up the stairs and Taeyeon unlocked yet another door. She switched on the lights and Tiffany saw a really cozy place with some bookshelves, a couch with a large television screen that was at least 42-inches, a few tables and chairs and an open kitchen that’s like a café with packed with an espresso machine, syrups and marble white coffee cups.

“What is this place?” Tiffany looked in awe.

“A private café sort of place. I thought it would be nice to provide a place for book lovers to gather or simply to chill at.”

“You opened this?”

“Mm-hmm.” Taeyeon went to the bar area. “Coffee?”

“Sure.” Tiffany sat down on one of the chairs at the open kitchen. “This place is beautiful.”

“Feel free to drop by any time. You’ll find a bunch of book lovers just like you while you’re here. I don’t tell everyone I see at the store, only specific people.”

“Why did you choose to tell me then?”

“Because you obviously are a book lover.”

“What if I’m not?”

“I can’t be wrong. I’m never wrong.”

“You’re wrong, Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon gasped as she held on to the cup of coffee she made for Tiffany. “Do I give this to you or not?”

Tiffany laughed. “I’m kidding. Now give me the coffee.”

“I know you are. I’m just playing with you.” Taeyeon placed the cup in front of Tiffany. “Hope you like what I’ve made. I went with my instinct when I chose the syrup.”

Tiffany took a sip. “Vanilla?”

“Yup. Is my instinct right?”

Tiffany nodded. “You’re pretty psychic. Vanilla’s my favorite.”

“I told you I’m never wrong.”

“So much confidence.”

“A bit of self-confidence is always good.”

“Yours is not just a bit though.”

“Well, acknowledged.” Taeyeon took a seat beside Tiffany. “How’s your pupilage coming along?”

“Everything’s going pretty smoothly. Mentor’s nice, colleagues are nice, and am gaining lots of experience from it.”

“That’s good.” Taeyeon sipped her coffee. “Why did you choose to be a solicitor instead of a barrister?”

“Wanted more freedom in choosing my clients. Solicitors may earn lesser or have lesser free time since we’re basically like any other employee in the world but at least I have the freedom to pick who I defend. I’ve seen lots of barristers having to defend their clients despite knowing that their clients are the ones at fault and I’m not sure I can do that. I know lawyers are supposed to be fair and defend the people who need or seek your help but I don’t think I can ever get over my conscience,” Tiffany explained. “I’m not really a good lawyer, am I?”

Taeyeon shook her head. “I understand where you’re coming from. Would be hard for me to defend a jerk when I know he’s one.”

“Glad to have someone who agrees with me.”

“If you ever doubt your choice in the future, you know you can come to me now.”

“Thanks for that,” Tiffany laughed.

The conversation went on and they got to know more of each other, like how Taeyeon is actually the owner of the amazing bookstore along with this private café and why Tiffany chose to be a lawyer. They also exchanged numbers that night when Taeyeon told Tiffany that she can just drop her a text if there’s any book Tiffany wants and that Taeyeon would get it for her, but they silently knew they would be using the numbers for more than that purpose.

===

“Still at work?”

She saw the sad sticker Tiffany sent and chuckled silently to herself.

“Tough case?”

“Not really, but I want to be as prepared as I can be for the trial tomorrow.”

“Wanna pop by the café later on? I can make you some floral tea to calm your nerves.”

“You have floral teas too?”

“You did say I have everything.”

“I appreciate it but it’s late. I don’t want to keep you up.”

“You should know by now that I’m nocturnal so you’re not going to keep me up. If anything, I should be the one that’s afraid of keeping you up.”

“I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep tonight anyway.”

‘Then pop by if you can. I’ll be glad to get your company while I sort out these new books I just received today.”

“Are you sure?”

“Positive, but only if that’s okay with you.”

“Alright then

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter