Chance In A Café

CODE 27: 309 x 801
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♪ Song of the chapter: Girls' Generation - Talk To Me ♪

***

“Hi there, welcome!”

Taeyeon hears her colleague greeting yet another customer. It has only been 20 minutes into shift and it’s already so busy? She sighs inwardly as she grabs another paper cup from the queue and starts making the drink according to her colleague’s cup marking.

Ugh, I hate morning shifts.

“A medium cocoa cappuccino for Danny.”

Taeyeon smiles to the customer as she places the now-filled cup on the table at the collection point. She then realizes a female customer standing at the corner of the store. A very, very pretty female customer if she may add.

The cup queue finally came to an end as Taeyeon takes the last paper cup. She looks up when she sees the pretty customer approaching from the corner of her left eye.

“Hi.” Taeyeon greets with a smile on her face. She can’t help but feel extra cheery because it’s just her and the customer left at the collection point.

“Hi.” The customer smiles, eyes disappearing.

As if you weren’t pretty enough.

“Hazelnut latte?”

“Yeah.” The customer smiles again.

“Is this your favorite?”

“Yes, why?”

“Ah, just curious. I know a lot of people who doesn’t like hazelnut. Not a lot of people ask for hazelnut latte actually.”

“How can anyone dislike hazelnut?”

Taeyeon had to laugh at the customer’s reaction. “I know right? Well, I personally love hazelnut too so I feel you on this.”

“Glad to have someone on my side then.”

Taeyeon laughed again. “You work around here?”

“Just upstairs actually.”

“Ah, really? Haven’t seen you before. You usually come in the morning huh?”

“Yeah, usually before I go for work.”

“No wonder.” Taeyeon says. “I usually work night shifts but my friend got sick so I’m taking over for today.”

“That explains why I haven’t seen you before either.” The customer looked at the badge on Taeyeon’s apron. “Taeyeon?”

“That’s me.” Taeyeon smiles. She places the coffee on the table. “And here’s your hazelnut latte, Tiffany. Hope you have a good day at work.”

“Thank you. See you around.”

“See you too.”

===

It has been days since Tiffany met Taeyeon. It may sound creepy but she finds herself hoping to see Taeyeon again every morning ever since, despite knowing that Taeyeon usually works night shifts. She even considered going after work just to see if she can bump into Taeyeon again, but the idea gets scraped off usually because Tiffany knows she wouldn’t be able to sleep if she consumes caffeine at night.

It is yet another morning where Tiffany walks towards the coffee shop. She checks her email while entering. It is so much of a routine that she didn’t have to look up to know where to order.

“Hey.”

Tiffany hears the familiar voice and looks up.

“Taeyeon?”

“Glad to know you still remember me.” Taeyeon smiles. “Hazelnut latte?”

“As usual.” Tiffany smiles unconsciously at the fact that Taeyeon remembers her favorite drink. “I thought you only work night shifts? Another colleague got sick again?”

“Not this time.” Taeyeon laughs. “Morning shifts are pretty fun actually, considering how I get to have the rest of the day off.” And because I get to see you, Tiffany.

“I see.” Tiffany says as they move towards the collection point. “Only you today?”

“Oh, my colleague is out on coffee delivery. The crowd usually dies down after 9am so I should be able to survive from 20 minutes on my own.”

Tiffany nods.

Taeyeon did not want to stop the conversation just then.

“What do you do for work?”

“I’m a fashion editor.”

“Ah, I assume you work for Prestige then?”

“Yup.”

“Nice. I’ll look out for that magazine more from now on.”

“And why is that?”

Taeyeon only realizes then that she might be being a little too obvious.

“G-gotta show support for our loyal customer, don’t you think?” Damn it, so embarrassing.

Tiffany chuckles. You’re cute, Taeyeon.

“Well, here’s your hazelnut latte. Have a kickass day today.”

“Thanks. You too, Taeyeon.”

“Will do.” Taeyeon smiles.

===

Taeyeon yawns as she walks out of the backroom and sees Tiffany standing at the collection point, looking at her. She quickly covers , face turning pink.

“Sorry.”

“That’s okay. Not a morning person huh?”

“Definitely not.”

“Then why do I see you more often nowadays?”

“Well, morning shift has its pros and cons.” Taeyeon aerates the milk carefully. “I get to knock off early, waking up early is good for health, I get to see pretty customers…”

Taeyeon’s voice trailed off towards the end but Tiffany managed to catch it.

“What?”

“Huh?” Taeyeon looks up.

“The last pro you mentioned.”

“What did I say?”

“You said you get to see pretty customers.”

“I-I did?” Good going, Taeyeon. Now she’s going to think of you as a creep who looks at customers discreetly behind the espresso machine.

“Uh huh. Pretty customers huh? How many have you seen?”

“Just one.” Taeyeon pours the milk into the cup, using the foam to create a heart on top of the latte.

“Only one?”

“Yup, only one.”  Taeyeon squats and scribbles on Tiffany’s cup.

“I see. Hope you’ll have some luck and see more later then.”

“I think I’m good though.” Taeyeon laughs as she stands up.

Tiffany can’t help but feel slightly disappointed that the pretty customer is not her. You must find her really pretty for you to think just seeing her is enough.

“Here’s your hazelnut latte. Have an awesome day ahead, Tiffany.” Taeyeon smiles.

“Same goes.” Tiffany returns the smile and retrieves the cup from the counter.

She walks out of the café and sips her coffee. She notices some words on her cup.

“It’s you I’m referring to, by the way. Hope to see you again tomorrow.”

Tiffany continues walking to the elevator and the smile never left her face for the rest of the day.

===

“Your job allows you to hit on people so easily huh?” Tiffany says while she waits for her coffee.

“That was my first time actually.” Taeyeon blushes slightly.

“Not too shabby for a first timer.” So I’m the first. Tiffany can’t help but smile at the thought of it.

“Really? I was afraid you would find it creepy or corny.”

“I’m flattered.”

“Don’t be because I was only stating a fact.”

“Wow. You’re pretty smooth.”

“Am I? Glad I don’t sound like an idiot in front of the pretty customer.”

“Have some confidence, Taeyeon-ah.”

Taeyeon looks up in surprise after hearing the way Tiffany said her name. That’s what my friends call me usually but why does it sound extra pleasant when it comes from you?

“Oops, sorry. Didn’t mean to offend you. Must be the American blood.” Tiffany fakes a chuckle and looks away. God, Tiffany. Get a grip.

“No, it’s fine.” Taeyeon smiles. “Call me that if you would like.”

“Really? I know Koreans are really strict with the hierarchy system so I don’t want to sound rude or anything.” Tiffany says meekly. “Do you mind if I ask how old you are?”

“Not at all. I’m 27 this year, going by Korean age.”

“27? Wow, you look like a kid. I never expected you to be my age.”

“You’re 27 too?”

Tiffany nods.

“Great, so you can call me whatever you want since we’re friends.” Taeyeon places the cup on the counter after placing the lid on. “Have a pleasant day, Tiffany. See you again?”

“See you.”

Tiffany walks out of the café again. She holds her cup up to check for any messages. She smiles when she sees it after turning the cup around.

“Being creepy is not what I’m trying to do but if it’s okay with you, I would like to know you better.”

Tiffany stops herself from screaming in public and heads for the elevators.

===

“Glad to see you again, pretty customer.”

“Glad to see you too, cute barista.”

Taeyeon blushes at Tiffany’s statement. You think I’m cute?

Tiffany chuckles silently at Taeyeon’s reaction.

“I see you’re getting used to the morning shifts. No more yawning while making drinks?”

“It’s getting better, thankfully.”

“Not intending to go back to night shifts?”

“I think I’ll stick to morning shifts for now.” Taeyeon smiles. “Besides, one of my managers who does morning shifts just left so I’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter