Best Thing

CODE 27: 309 x 801
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Sorry for not updating this place for such a long time. I've been too concentrated on my ongoing, Take My Hand, all this while (yes, shameless self-promotion right there) but I'm back with a new shot. Yet another cliche fic (as a form of compensation for upsetting readers in the last one) but I hope you'll like it nonetheless. Let me know your thoughts in the comments section below!

===

Taeyeon huffs as she stretches her body while entering the bar.

“Hey,” Her colleague greeted. “You’re early today.”

“School ended early so might as well. Selena said you can knock off early if you want to since I’m here, by the way.”

“Oh yes!” Her colleague exclaims. “Bless you for coming in early.”

Taeyeon laughs. “Go. Shoo.”

“Don’t mind if I do. Working tomorrow?”

“Yes.”

“See you tomorrow then.”

“See ya.”

Taeyeon grabs a cloth and proceeds to clean the bar. She has always been a cleanliness freak when it comes to her work area. She finds herself with nothing to do after a round of cleaning. It is slow night since it is a Tuesday after all.

She is practicing some of the cocktails she has been trying to master when she sees a group of girls walking into the pub. She observes them and she notices one girl in the group in particular. Pretty.

She watches as her colleague, Emily, takes the group’s orders.

“Hey Taeng. One cranberry vodka, one screwdriver, one jägerbomb and six tequila shots.”

“Coming right up.” Taeyeon grabs the shaker. “Would you happen to remember what that girl ordered?”

“Which one?”

“The one with long, jet black hair in a red dress.”

“Ah, her. She ordered the shots.”

Wow, Taeyeon thinks. Strong drinker huh.

“Interested?”

“Huh?”

“Are you interested in her?”

“No, I was just curious.”

“Sure, Taeng.”

“Really,” Taeyeon retorts. Or maybe just a little bit interested.

“You can serve the drinks to their table if you want to.”

“Can I?”

Emily laughs. “And you said you’re not interested.”

“Shut up, Em.”

“Okay, okay. I’ll leave you to handle these then.”

Taeyeon places the last drink on the tray. She takes the tray and approaches the group of girls.

“Good evening. Here are your drinks.”

Taeyeon leaves the other drinks randomly on the table except for the shots.

“Your shots.” Taeyeon smiles and places the shots in front of the girl in red dress. “Enjoy your drinks.”

“Thank you.”

Taeyeon sees the smile from the girl and holds her breath. This has to be the prettiest smile I’ve ever seen. How do your eyes disappear like this?

She then heads back to the bar.

===

“Your shots. Enjoy your drinks.”

“Thank you,” Tiffany looks up and says, smiling. Cute bartender.

“How did she know you ordered the shots?”

Tiffany shrugs as she gulps one of the shots. Yeah, how did you know? Did you ask the waitress earlier?

“So someone is just as interested huh?” Her friend smirks and eyes the girl who is going back to the bar.

“What do you mean just as interested, Jess?”

“Admit it, Tiff. You are interested in her.”

“Am not.”

“I saw that smile you gave her.”

“That’s called being polite.”

“I saw that twinkle in your eye though.”

“Not you too, Sunny.”

“Fine.” Sunny holds up her screwdriver. “Cheers?”

“Cheers.”

===

Tiffany enters the slightly noisy pub and eyes the bar immediately. She smiles internally when she realizes who is on shift tonight. Jackpot.

Taeyeon sees the familiar pretty customer from the corner of her eyes as she is making a drink for a customer. She holds back her grin. It’s you again.

Tiffany looks around for an empty table but to no avail. She goes to the long tables that are right in front of the bar and takes a seat. Taeyeon goes to her right away after finishing serving the previous customer.

“Hey.”

“Hey,” Tiffany answers, slightly amused. “You know me?”

“Uh, no.” Taeyeon scratches the back of her neck nervously. “But I sort of remember you from a few days ago.”

Tiffany sees the action and suppresses a laughter. Cute.

“Wow. Do you remember everyone who comes here before?”

“Not really.”

“Oh?”

Change the topic before she catches on, Taeng! Taeyeon exhales. “What can I get for you today? Shots?”

“You even remember my order?”

Shoot! Taeyeon clears in embarrassment. Way to be a creep, Kim Taeyeon!

“Uh…”

“I’m just kidding. I’ll just have a beer, thanks.”

“Coming right up.”

Taeyeon fetches the wanted bottle of beer and returns within a minute. “Here you go.”

“Thanks…” Tiffany scrutinizes at the small badge pinned on Taeyeon’s uniform. “Tae…yeon?”

“Yeah. Taeyeon.”

“You’re Korean?” Tiffany asks, switching the language she is using.

Taeyeon looks at the girl, surprised. “You know Korean?”

“Of course.” Tiffany smiles. “I’m Korean-American.”

“Ah, I see.” Taeyeon nods, registering the new information about this pretty customer in her head. She is also relieved to hear someone speak to her in her mother tongue again. “I haven’t heard Korean in a really long time.”

“You speak English really well though.”

“The hard work paid off a bit, maybe.” Taeyeon chuckles. “Wouldn’t have guessed you are Korean-American though.”

“I actually haven’t been to Korea for that many times. I’ve been here most of my life except occasions like Chuseok where we go back to celebrate with our relatives. I hope my Korean is decent enough for you?”

“It’s more than decent, don’t worry. I’m just glad someone is speaking to me in Korean again. I’m almost forgetting the language.”

“Did I say I was going to start speaking to you in Korean?” Tiffany asks in English.

“Not… exactly?” The words come out of Taeyeon’s mouth slowly, language back to English as well. “I’m sorry for assuming. If English’s more comfortable for you then English it is.”

“I’m just kidding, Taeyeon. Relax.” Tiffany laughs. “Speak to me in Korean if you’d like. Just don’t back out when you finally realize how bad I am at it.”

“Don’t think I’ll ever back out. You’re the first person I can speak Korean to here.”

“But I think you better get back to work because that guy has been trying to catch your attention for the longest time.” Tiffany signals with her chin.

Taeyeon looks back and sees the slight frown on the customer’s face. Yikes.

“Okay. Call me if you need another one of this.” Taeyeon points to the beer bottle. “Nice talking to you.”

Taeyeon turns and approaches the customer before Tiffany could introduce herself. The latter watches the back view of the serious bartender who is now grabbing a shaker and a bottle of Baileys. So you’re Korean. I should’ve guessed. You look super Korean. She smiles to herself. You’re kinda cute, Taeyeon. And quite attractive when you’re all serious like this while making drinks.

===

“You know, it’s already your fifth time here and I still don’t know your name.” Taeyeon places the Cosmopolitan in front of the customer she has grown to be familiar with and really, really fond of.

“Well, you never asked.”

“I wanted to but I always forget when you’re actually here.”

“So you actually think of me quite often huh?” Tiffany takes a sip.

Taeyeon gulps at the sudden flirting. This pretty customer in front of her has never been shy with her feelings and she often finds herself in the middle of some really obvious flirting sessions. Because she’s American, Taeyeon assumes as the reason behind the zero holding back.

“I uh… Well…”

“I’m Tiffany.”

“Ah, Tiffany.” Pretty name for a pretty person. “Since you’re technically Korean, I assume you have a Korean name too?”

“I do, but I’m not going to tell you what it is.”

“Why?”

“Let’s just say that it’s not exactly a name I’d like to associate with. I’ll tell you if our relationship develops into something more than two people who would only talk to in the pub.”

Taeyeon raises her brows. Do you mean friendship or something else?

“Okay, let me rephrase it. I’ll tell you after we get closer.”

Taeyeon stares. Did she just read my mind?

“Yes, I can read your mind, Taeyeon.”

“Are you psychic?”

“No, you’re just too obvious.” Tiffany finishes her drink. “Can I get a vodka martini?”

“Of course.”

Taeyeon goes back into her serious working mode as she prepares Tiffany’s drink. She always makes it a point to perfect Tiffany’s order as much as possible, something that did not go unnoticed to Tiffany after seeing how different Taeyeon is when the latter makes her drink and other customers’ drinks. The techniques are similar, but Taeyeon gets more precise when it comes to Tiffany’s drink. Tiffany though, is silently glad for the extra attention from the bartender she deems cute.

“Here you go.”

“Thanks.”

“You’re welcome, Tiffany.”

“Taeng!”

Taeyeon turns to the voice and sees a man with his hand up, signaling Taeyeon to come over. Taeyeon nods.

“Gotta go attend to him. Enjoy your drink, ‘kay?”

“Go ahead. And I will. It tastes perfect.” Tiffany smiles.

Taeyeon bites her lip, suppressing the urge to return the smile. I’ll never get used to your cute, disappearing eyes. She bows to Tiffany slightly before leaving the spot in front of Tiffany to go to the man.

===

Taeyeon places the tray of shots on the counter.

“Thanks, Taeyeon.”

“You’re welcome. And I’m never going to know your Korean name huh?”

“I told you I’ll tell you after get closer.”

“Aren’t we close enough?”

There has been progress between the two people over the past few weeks. Tiffany will drop by the ba

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter