Again

The Interpreter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Great job, peanut.” Park Ji Ho praised—his wide child-like smile made you feel instantly relaxed. Lazily, you plopped down on the couch behind him. You had just spent the last couple of hours inside his small recording booth—finalizing the last song he had written and composed.

“You really think so?” You reveled at the air-conditioning inside his office.

“Yes. I owe you a lot.” He chuckled as he resumed tinkering with the software in front of him.

You had recorded five songs in total since you arrived in Seoul two weeks ago. The guy just had to make you work hard since you came to the city without any notice. And he was trying to pitch in his new songs to his company. It was perfect timing and you simply had to help him when he went all-out with his sad puppy look.

“How’s work so far?” He asked while you cracked one eye open. It was Friday evening and you were feeling incredibly lazy after spending your energy singing over and over again.

“It’s okay. I just finished translating a whole German journal to Korean today.” And you proceeded to talk about your other tasks as a Research Assistant in a newly-opened gallery in Seoul. Your old college professor had recommended you for the job—your background in four languages would be incredibly useful—considering that the art world was continuously expanding not just in Europe but in Asia. Your job was mainly about research, translation, website content, and that you would sometimes guide foreign visitors inside the gallery. The offer was tempting and to be able to live back in Seoul made you not think twice to accept it.

“Hungry?” Ji Ho stood up then and held out his hand to you.

“You better treat me to something extremely delicious.” You took his hand and he pulled you up.

“Yes, ma’am!”

 

Ji Ho brought you to a discreet restaurant which he said served the best gamjatang he had ever tasted. There were not a lot of people since it was already past ten in the evening. Sitting on the floor as you indulged on the spicy food and your favorite diced radish kimchi, you and Ji Ho continuously chatted about music and daily life.

“Have you settled in nicely?” He put more meat on your bowl and you grinned at him.

“I still have to buy furniture and some appliances. Maybe on my first pay.” You thought about the apartment that you found and how bare it was.

“Tell me once you’ve bought them so I can help you arrange.” Ji Ho smiled and you appreciated that about him.

He was a good-natured person… someone who easily smiled and was always considerate of others. Park Ji Ho was a human teddy bear whom you can talk with about anything and would be ready to hug you whenever you feel down. He had done that when you were in high school when you had been too stressed balancing studying and learning music and art simultaneously. And it was also that time that he was the one who comforted you when you first got your heart broken. The memory made you chuckle.

“What’s so funny?”

You laughed then. “Remember that time you saw me outside our house… crying like mad because my crush rejected me after I confessed to him?”

Ji Ho paused for a second before he burst out laughing.

“You told me that you would not fall in love with anyone ever again. How dramatic…”

“I was, wasn’t I?” You scrunched your nose in disbelief. “It was awful. I’ve never done that and I wasn’t even given a chance. I wonder how that guy’s doing now…”

“Probably single and still regretting that he turned you down.” He quipped and you playfully hit his forearm.

“You should find yourself a girlfriend as well, oppa. You’re not getting any younger.” With those words, his eyes widened in shock as he put a hand on his chest.

“And who says I don’t have a girlfriend?” He gasped theatrically and you laughed.

“You spend all your time in your studio. At this rate, the only women in your life are me and your mother.”

“Yah! Why are you being so mean?” His full lips turned down in mock hurt. “I always thought that if I don’t get settled down by 30, I’m just gonna marry you instead.”

You stared at him then—wondering if he was just kidding. He seemed serious though as he continued eating his rice. Strangely, you felt uneasy by his words. If there was one thing that could either make or break friendships of the opposite , it was attraction. And you were sure that you had never considered Park Ji Ho as someone other than a neighbor oppa who helped you a lot when you were younger.

The topic changed to work and it was when you were about to finish when someone from a nearby table walked up to you and said your name out of nowhere.

“Y/N, right?” A soft voice asked and you looked up to see none other than G-Dragon smiling at you. He looked very casual in his black cap, white shirt, and tattered skinny jeans. Still, he held that presence only he could give off.

You stood up abruptly and hit your knee on the table—causing you to lightly yelp and G-Dragon and Ji Ho to wince.

“Annyeonghaseyo.” You bowed to G-Dragon as he greeted you back.

“I thought I might be mistaken because your hair is not pink anymore…” He smiled shyly.

“It’s nice to finally meet you.” Your face was starting to feel numb and you tried your hardest not to make a fool of yourself.

GD looked at Ji Ho and they greeted each other. Feeling awkward all of a sudden, GD put a hand on his neck and rubbed it. “I’m sorry for interrupting your dinner.”

“Ah, no! We’re just about to leave.” You said as Ji Ho stood there not really knowing what to do or what to say.  Finally, he got the cue and told you that he’s going to wait outside.

“What brings you to Seoul?” GD asked once Ji Ho went out the restaurant after paying the bill.

“I now work in a gallery in Yongsan-gu. I got here two weeks ago.” You still couldn’t believe you were having a conversation with the mighty G-Dragon inside a gamjatang restaurant in the middle of the night.

“Really? How long are you going to stay here?” His light brown eyes lit up all of a sudden and you smiled.

“Indefinitely.”

“And have you been in contact with Seung Hyun-hyung?” He suddenly asked and you hesitated for a moment before shaking your head.

“I don’t want to bother him.”

GD’s brows furrowed and then he chuckled. “So he doesn’t even know that you’re here?”

You nodded as he continued. “Hyung locks himself up inside his villa doing nothing for days on end. I don’t think you’ll be a bother. You guys should definitely meet up.”

You panicked when you saw him pull out his phone. “What are you doing?”

“Calling him.” He grinned and you instinctively grabbed his arm with both your hands and then realized what you did so you pulled back just as fast.

“It’s late! Let him rest… and you have a concert tomorrow!” Your eyes pleaded for him not to call his hyung and GD seemed to have gotten your signal.

“Alright.” He sighed as he handed you his phone. “Give me your LINE then.”

“Eh? Why?” You looked at his phone as if it was a foreign object.

“You’re coming to the concert tomorrow, right?” You nodded and he grinned. “Come to the after party. Everyone will be there. I’m sure the guys would love to meet you as well.”

Your eyes widened in disbelief at the sudden invite. “Do I need to have a ticket for that?”

GD laughed and you couldn’t help but think how adorable he looked when he was laughing like that. “Just give me your LINE and I’ll handle the rest.”

“Ok.” You said uncertainly as you typed in your ID and gave his phone back to him.

“I think I’ve intruded long enough. Your boyfriend is waiting for you.” He grinned sheepishly.

“He’s not my boyfriend.” You quickly opposed and GD’s grin remained.

“I’ll see you tomorrow?”

“Yes.” You smiled then and when he was about to turn back, you said, “And belated Happy Birthday.”

“Thanks, Y/N-ah.” His smile seemed so genuine and sweet.

He was with a small group of people who all looked equally interesting. When you walked outside the restaurant, you saw Ji Ho leaning on the hood of his car and his eyes widened when you approached him. He asked in an incredulous voice, “How do you know G-Dragon?”

“I—uh…” You thought of making up an excuse but it would be more difficult so you resorted to just telling the truth. “I worked as an interpreter for T.O.P in Germany a few months ago. I got to talk to G-Dragon and the other members through a video call.”

“You worked with T.O.P?” Ji Ho’s surprise made you chuckle but sudden memories from the time that you spent with the said man came rushing back.

Your smile faltered.

“Why am I just knowing this now?” Ji Ho continued and you shook off the heavy feeling in your chest.

No regrets, remember?

“You’re the first person to know about this. Please don’t tell anyone else, oppa.” You said firmly and Ji Ho nodded his head in understanding.

He dropped the topic as you both entered his car and then he drove off.

 

The sound of the cheering crowd echoed deep within your bones. It was overwhelming... feeling the energy of 60,000 people that made the stadium buzz like it was a living and breathing thing. It pulsed like your heart in a synchronized rhythm. And you felt more alive than ever.

You cheered and you screamed. Sheen sweat covered your forehead and you periodically dabbed it with the back of your hand. Your arm ached from swinging your yellow crown lightstick but you didn't care. You wanted to show them your love.

And no matter how conflicted your feelings were… you wanted to support him with all your heart.

You were seated near the substage-- the opposite side of the main stage. The concert just began when the members rode the two moving stages. Quickly getting the banner from your bag, you waited until the members were all on the long and narrow substage. Your heart was hammering wildly against your chest and you wanted to scream his name. But it would be useless as thousands of people were doing the same thing to get his attention. The members were singing and smiling and waving to the audience. You were nearest to where G-Dragon was standing.

"GD!" You shouted as loud as you could even though you knew it was impossible to be heard. And when you were about to give up, his gaze met yours and then he smiled so big he looked like a child.

"Hi!" You waved at him and he did the same and blew you a kiss. You smiled and raised the small banner that you made. GD laughed as soon as he saw it.

He moved on to wave and smile to the other people. The girls seated near you were eyeing you conspicuously as some squealed in delight. You felt like crying because of the emotions you were feeling. The song was about to end and the members were going to t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter