A Break in the Clouds

The Interpreter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The distinct structure of the YG building came into view. The gray industrial exterior didn’t look that striking amidst the nondescript buildings in the neighborhood. It was the shape that made it stand out. The unique curve of the narrow building was its sole feature and you wondered how the design came to be. Getting out of the taxi, you cautiously walked towards the open gate where a security guard was manning. You suddenly felt nervous knowing that you might get turned away.

“Excuse me. I’m here to see Choi Hong Il.” You said to the security guard as he gave you a once-over. Without saying anything, he led you to the booth beside the main door and asked the other personnel to double check your identity. Your shoulder bag and the large paper bag you were holding were inspected. A phone call was made and you were asked to give your identification before the guard made you wear a visitor ID.

“Choi Hong Il-ssi will see you at the lobby. Go up a level and please wait for him there.” The guard said as the glass doors opened and you walked inside. You thanked him and saw him going back to his post.

The entrance was narrow as you expected and you quickly went inside the elevator and did as the guard instructed. A dark corridor greeted you with illuminated photos of YG artists lining the walls. You couldn’t help but be awed at the sight. The company had been running for twenty years and just look how successful it had become. A few employees passed by without paying you any notice. It took quite a few moments before the elevator opened and you saw Hong Il walking over to you.

“You’re finally here. I’m sorry to have you wait for me.” You greeted each other and he noted the large paper bag you were holding. “That’s the lunch that you made? That seems a lot!”

“Well, Seung Hyun-ssi pointed out that he and the guys are starving.” You chuckled.

“They’ve been here since early morning. Do you always keep in touch with Seung Hyun?” Hong Il asked curiously as he led you back to the elevator.

“Just today actually. He asked how I was and I sent him a picture of my gimbap. Then he asked me if I could cook something for him and bring it here.” You chuckled nervously.  “I don’t know why since he knows I’m just starting to learn how to cook.”

You had spent your Saturday morning stressing yourself in the kitchen. It was right after breakfast when you got a message from Seung Hyun and you were not even expecting any communication between you two. The last time you saw him was in the restaurant the previous week. You had no idea why but since then, you couldn’t stop thinking about him. That was why even though you were feeling quite unwell because of recent sleepless nights; you still tried to cook and went to YG.

“I heard that it was your birthday recently. So I got you this.” Hong Il handed you a rectangular object the size of an encyclopedia. It was wrapped in a plain brown paper and a paper string was tied around it.

“Oh, thank you very much. You didn’t have to…” It was surprising how heavy it was and you struggled a bit since you were then both holding the lunchbox and the gift.

“Sorry that it’s heavy.” Hong Il laughed as he held the item again. “I couldn’t think of a proper gift and I only got this upstairs. But I think you’ll like this one.”

You smiled shyly since you didn’t think Hong Il would be that considerate towards you. “Thank you, Hong Il-ssi. Would you eat with them as well?”

“Ah, I can’t. I’m going out for lunch with some co-workers.”

“I can cook for you next time.” You said and that made him laugh.

Both of you stopped outside the recording studio. Out of nowhere, you felt a wave of anxiety rush through you. Hong Il seemed to have noticed your hesitance so he was the one who opened the door and announced, “Food’s here!”

Chuckling, you entered the studio and saw four people inside. It was Seungri who you saw first. He was sprawled on the couch—sleeping and looking like death warmed over. GD… Jiyong was seated in front of the large monitor and the mixing consoles. Another man who you recognized as Teddy was beside him. And Seung Hyun was walking out of the recording booth the same time you walked in.

“Y/N-ah!” Jiyong stood up and helped you with the paper bag. He set it on the table located at the center of the room. You were feeling incredibly shy and out of place realizing that you were in their workplace for such a random reason.

“I better head out now.” Hong Il patted your arm as he left the studio.

You greeted everyone politely and felt awkward when you were just standing there at the doorway. Seung Hyun introduced you to Teddy. The older man spoke in English and you conversed in the same language.

“Jiyong was just telling me about you. You’re an interpreter?” His style had always been strange… with the hood of his jacket covering his head and a dark cap over it.

You nodded your head—feeling quite intimidated since you knew he was one of the company’s main producers and had made a lot of hit songs. And he was quite attractive as well with his sharp features and excellent English.

“I didn’t know I would meet you. I love all the songs that you made.” You managed to say and he gave you a big smile.

“Thank you, sweetheart.” That definitely made you blush.

“Stop flirting, hyung. You already have a girlfriend.” Seung Hyun walked to the space between you and Teddy and started unpacking the lunch that you brought. Teddy just chuckled as he sat back beside Jiyong who returned to work on the computer.

“I didn’t know how many people are here so I just made a lot.” You helped Seung Hyun arrange the large three-layered lunch box on the table.

“You were boasting about your newfound love for cooking before. I got curious.” Seung Hyun glanced at you and a small smile appeared on his lips. “These look delicious. Thank you.”

“I smell food.” Seungri groaned as he stirred from his sleep. Once he woke up, his eyes immediately landed on the food and he went to sit at the table in a flash. “WHAT IS THIS? AM I DREAMING?!”

His hand shot out to grab a piece of gimbap when Seung Hyun slapped it. “Yah. Mind your manners.”

“But I’m hungry…” Seungri pouted and then that was when he noticed you standing there. “I really must be dreaming. What is Y/N doing here?”

“She cooked for us. Now let’s eat before the food gets cold.” Seung Hyun made everyone sit around the table and you were stifling a smile when Seungri still couldn’t comprehend the situation. He still looked out of it and it was when everyone started eating did he realize he wasn’t dreaming.

“Are you sure you just learned how to cook? This is good.” Jiyong said after tasting the spicy braised tofu. Your dosirak also consisted of marinated pork loin which was stir-fried in kimchi, egg rolls, beef pancakes, gimbap, and a lot of banchan. There was also a thermos filled with Korean miso soup. You definitely went all out with your cooking.

“I’ve been trying to learn since my mother kept on nagging me.” You answered as you munched on a beef pancake. You thought you would just give the food earlier and leave but Seung Hyun was adamant that you eat with them.

“Where do your parents live?” Teddy asked—looking quite satisfied with the food as well.

“Vienna.”

“Vienna? Wow. I heard it’s the best city to live in the world.”

“I guess that’s why they chose to settle down there.” You chuckled.

For whatever reason it was, Teddy kept asking you questions until that one came up and you found yourself flushing to the bones.

"Do you have a boyfriend?" He asked so casually that you almost choked on your gimbap. Seungri, who was sitting beside you, gently thumped your back.

"I'm just curious. Because that fella's the luckiest guy." Teddy grinned and you helplessly looked at Jiyong who was chuckling quietly.

"As far as I know, she doesn't have a boyfriend." Jiyong said as your coughing finally stopped. His light brown eyes narrowed when he looked at you. "Unless you've been seeing someone since the concert?"

"I don't have one." You finally managed to say and Jiyong's smile widened.

"I can be your boyfriend, right?" Seungri said and you felt something reach over behind you and the next thing you knew, Seungri was lightly smacked on the head.

"I was just kidding!" He half-yelled. Turning to your other side, you saw Seung Hyun retracting his arm with a frown on his face.

The conversation at the table ranged from traveling to music and you found yourself starting to feel at ease sharing about experiences with the four men. You told them about how you spent the first few weeks in Seoul recording demos for your friend. Teddy, Seungri, and Jiyong were throwing questions at you nonstop. Seung Hyun was simply listening and would comment once in a while—deeply immersed in eating. You had noticed that he was getting thinner and you thought of putting more food in his bowl. And then you realized it would be too weird if you suddenly became like a doting aunt.

“Actually, there’s another reason why hyung asked you to come here.” Jiyong spoke up once all of you were done eating.

You stilled when Jiyong reached out his hands and held yours. You stared at him wide-eyed and then turned to look at Seung Hyun who nodded at you encouragingly.

“It’s sudden and very urgent…” Jiyong started as he gripped your hands tighter. “But we would like you to record a demo for us.”

“Eh?” Was the smartest response you could manage and you heard Teddy and Seungri chuckle but you were too overwhelmed with what Jiyong just told you.

“Seung Hyun-hyung and I are currently working on a song together. We’ve completed the lyrics and the track and are still thinking of which female singer to feature in the song. It’s a different sound from our previous songs with Park Bom. And right now, we really need someone to do a demo for us and see if the song will fit perfectly in our new album.” Jiyong made that sad puppy face and you felt incredibly compelled to say yes.

“You mean we must record today?” You clarified and that made Jiyong smile widely as Seung Hyun sighed.

“We’re on a tight deadline and I thought your voice would be perfect in the song.” Seung Hyun said and you felt the tip of your ears get hot.

“Are you willing to help us?” Jiyong took his persuasion to another level when he rubbed the back of your hand with the pads of his thumbs.

Lightly nodding your head, Jiyong stood up and then pulled you into a hug. “You’re a lifesaver!”

You couldn’t say anything as the others laughed and when you looked at Seung Hyun, he was looking at you with such warmth in his eyes that you felt your stomach flutter. You had missed that look. Smiling at him, your pulse raced when he reciprocated with a smile even wider than yours.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter