No Regrets

The Interpreter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Feeling incredibly restless made you toss and turn on the bed until you looked at your phone and saw that it was already three in the morning. There were so many questions in your head since you did not have an opportunity to clear even just one. A few hours ago, you were having a good time in a party and then you found yourself in such a complicated situation with Seung Hyun. Why did he have to say that? You make him nervous, too? Was he just pulling your leg? Why would he feel nervous? That you were a person who could easily blurt out anything for other people to know? Or that you were actually a crazy fan who could damage his image in a second?

You liked him so much… but not to an extent that your whole world revolved around him.


And then there was this part of your brain that was trying to give you impossible thoughts. Was he nervous not because of the reasons stated earlier… but because he liked you? That couldn’t be it. Drowning in confusion, you simply could not think of any reason why he would be interested in you. From the beginning, he knew you were his fan. He was the one who drew the line as he kept his distance. You did not know how it happened, but he began to become more comfortable around you and even agreed to be friends with you… Then, you started questioning if your so-called friendship with him was real.

All these questions were left unspoken as you were instantly brought back to reality when someone had bumped you from behind while Seung Hyun held you so close before. In a split second, he had removed his hold on you. And without saying another word, he made his way back to the table. You followed suit—your heart thumping wildly against your chest as you weaved through the throng of people dancing. Seeing Seung Hyun calmly sitting beside Hong Il, you breathed deeply as you took your glass of wine. You downed the rest of your drink, excused yourself, and went back to the hotel on your own.


Honestly, you wanted to be out of there as soon as possible.

 

“I thought you wouldn’t wake up.” You heard Min Hee say when you stirred.

Groaning at the sunlight hitting your face, you sluggishly sat up on the bed. “What time is it?”

“It’s almost lunch. Go take a shower.” She was already putting on makeup and you quickly went to the bathroom.

Once you have freshened up, Min Hee was still waiting for you. The two of you never really talked about anything outside work. She had a knack for saying things without really thinking and you thought you shared that trait with her. Making your way down to the patio where lunch was going to be served, you just had to speak since the thoughts in your mind were screaming to be spoken.

“Do you have a boyfriend?” Your question made her left eyebrow quirk up.

“Why? Are you interested in me?”

“Maybe.” You smirked and she playfully nudged your side. “You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to.”

“I don’t have a boyfriend.” She winked and then whispered as if she might get caught saying a bad word. “I have a husband.”

Her response was something you did not expect. And then you burst out laughing as she did the same.

“You’re already married? I thought you’re single with the way you blushed dancing with that handsome Italian guy.”

“Can’t a woman blush if a handsome Italian guy asks her for a dance?” Her retort made you laugh louder. You never realized she was this funny and you started to appreciate her even more.

“I guess I can’t blame you. Those guys looked like Roman sculptures.”

Min Hee didn’t say anything as you descended down the stairs. Though she had a smile on her face, you noticed that she was thinking of something.

“What is it?” You asked since she was suddenly acting strangely.

Her dark eyes glanced at you hesitantly as she pursed her lips.

“C’mon… I know you want to say something.”

She scrunched her nose and then sighed. “I just can’t keep my mouth shut. I hope you won’t find me too nosy…”

You shook your head and gave her an encouraging smile. She continued, “I didn’t mean to pry but while we were dancing last night, I saw how Seung Hyun was looking at you. I just thought that he was looking at you differently than before. I can’t describe it. But when I saw him pull you closer, I knew that he might be interested in you.”

Her words took some time to sink in. You opened your mouth to say something but nothing came out. There you were torturing yourself the whole night with a torrent of questions and mixed emotions… and someone else dropped this bomb on you.  You were rendered speechless and you didn’t even realize that you had stopped walking.

“I’m not sure that’s true.” You managed to say after the initial shock. “He can’t possibly like me.”

“Why not?” Min Hee quipped as she started listing down reasons that hadn’t even entered your mind. “You’re young, pretty, charming, and talented. And I know that he had spent more time with you than any of us in his team… well aside from Hong Il. I mean… if he’s not interested, why go through all the trouble of spending his free time with you?”

Your shoulders felt heavier by the second as you tried to counter her words.

“He only spent time with me because I’m also into art and music. We share the same interests… that’s why it’s only natural that he will be… interested in… my interests?” That definitely came out sounding pathetic that you groaned and ran your hands on your face.

Min Hee held your shoulders as she guided you towards the patio.

“I didn’t mean to confuse you or anything like that. I just stated what I observed.” She looked at you knowingly as she gently squeezed your arm. “You like him judging by your reaction earlier.”

You did not even have the heart to lie to someone who could easily read you just like that. She stopped walking just as when you were nearing the door to the patio.

“If you wanted to ask me about relationships, the only advice that I can give you is to not feel any regrets.” Her voice sounded softer and you tried to understand what she meant but came up with a blank.

“Isn’t it normal to feel regretful?”

Min Hee smiled fondly and all of a sudden she looked motherly.

“You can’t help who you fall in love with. All the little things this person does will mean a lot to you—good or bad… it’s all the same. And when you find yourself falling, you should accept things as they go. Because not all the time, this person will love you back.” Min Hee’s voice became gentler as she spoke.

“And this is how you become brave, that you still live your life without any regrets. That all the feelings that you invested were not put to waste. Because you know that you’re capable of loving deeply even if you’re scared of the things that might happen.”

Tears pooled in the corner of your eyes. You had not been given such an advice like this before. Your heart felt heavy but you managed to smile as Min Hee hooked her arm around yours. Both of you walked out of the hotel and into the warm sunlight. In a corner, you saw Hyo Jung, Hong Il, and Seung Hyun already eating their lunch. That heaviness in your chest worsened as you saw Seung Hyun laugh at something his manager said. He was someone who was so out of your reach. And you’ve decided then that you were mature enough to handle the inevitable heartbreak.

You felt Min Hee squeeze your arm gently and she whispered…

“But he’d be a fool if he lets you slip through his fingers.”


You focused on stuffing your mouth with food you did not even recognize. You kept quiet as you listened to Min Hee and Hyo Jung talk about their escapade yesterday. Hong Il was talkative as Seung Hyun would randomly join in the conversation. He seemed like his usual self—reserved yet knew when to liven up the atmosphere. It was as if last night did not happen and you were the only one who was affected by the words you exchanged with each other.

Stop overthinking.

You sighed as you put down your fork and drank your iced tea.

“Did you sleep well?” Seung Hyun suddenly asked and you met his gaze for the first time since you and Min Hee joined them.

“Yes. And you?” You were feeling so conscious you had an urge to run away from there as fast as you could.

“Good.”

“That’s good.” This conversation was going nowhere and you noticed Min Hee roll her eyes even though she was not directly looking at the two of you. That brought a small smile on your face.

“I’m going to a vineyard after this. Who wants to come with me?” Seung Hyun looked at each of you with narrowed eyes—as if already expecting your answers.

“Min Hee and I are going to do more sightseeing and buy more goodies.” Hyo Jung quickly said as Min Hee nodded vigorously.

“Well, I haven’t seen the town and I haven’t bought anything for my family yet.” Hong Il chuckled and pointed at the two stylists. “I might as well go with these two.”

Seung Hyun raised both of his hands in surrender. “I know, I know…”

He looked at his watch and then to you. “I guess you’re stuck with me again today.”

“But you haven’t even heard my answer yet.” You countered and all of them went quiet.

With your cheeks suddenly flushing like mad, you muttered, “I mean I haven’t bought anything yet, too.”

Seung Hyun didn’t say a word and you wanted to bury yourself in the ground for making things all the more awkward. It was Hong Il who broke the silence. “We can buy for you. Don’t let Seung Hyun off on his own. He might get lost in a sea of his precious wine.”

Sniggers erupted amongst the three and you managed to smile as well. Looking back at Seung Hyun, he looked like he would rather not be in that table and so he stood up—a serious look on his face as he told his manager, “I’ll call you if anything happens.”

He walked away and Hyo Jung lightly poked your arm. “Go with him. He’ll sulk all day if you don’t.”

Min Hee gave you a reassuring nod. Grabbing your shoulder bag, you stood up and waved at the three before you followed where Seung Hyun went off.

 

The dry and hilly terrain of the wine district was a picturesque view. Passing by countless rows of Sangiovese as a guide gave you the history of their wine made you appreciate the hard work and patience that were put in every bottle they produced. He talked about geography and how it correlated with how their grapes produce the best wine. The sun was shining brightly ahead and you did not bring a cap nor shades. Squinting was the only thing you could do as you followed where the guide brought you.

“He said they usually ferment the wine in oak.” You translated to Seung Hyun who had asked you what the guide with the thick accent mentioned earlier. The middle-aged man was amiable but even yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter