Answers

The Interpreter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

All the people in the room stood up and you maintained a pleasant smile as everyone said their goodbyes and dispersed. The preparations for the opening was almost done and you only had to stay in Tokyo for two more weeks before you could head back to Seoul. It was only you who was left inside the room as you organized the files left. Your head was throbbing and the thought of resting inside your hotel room while eating ice cream and watching a drama was too tempting. Everything had been going well with work so even though your mind was tired, you felt accomplished.

“Do you need any help?” Someone suddenly asked while you were waiting in front of the elevator.

James Adler was standing nearby—one of his hands in his pocket and the other holding his phone. He was the gallery director in Cologne and was assigned to work on the opening of the new branch. You had interpreted for him in the meetings and you would converse once in a while during breaks. He seemed very capable at his job and that was one of the reasons why you found him a bit intimidating.

“Ah, there’s no need. I’m about to go up to my room.” You smiled at him and he just nodded. One thing you liked about communicating with Europeans, they seemed more relaxed in dealing with everything. The elevator doors opened and you stepped in with James following behind. You knew he was staying a floor below you. What you appreciated about the company was that they had given you a great accommodation. The hotel was excellent to say the least. It made up to the constant stress that was in your system since you started working on the project.

“Would you like to go out for dinner?” James asked when the elevator was halfway up to your destination. The invite surprised you and it took a while before you managed to say a proper response.

“I’m actually just planning to eat dinner in my room.”

James chuckled and ran a hand over his light brown hair. “You’ve been working so hard. I’ll treat you to a great sushi restaurant and then you can go rest after. Sounds okay?”

He was always straight to the point and you could only smile as you nodded your head.

 

You didn’t find the need to change your attire but then started regretting it when you felt your feet ache from your high heels. James led you to a restaurant just a few blocks away from the hotel. The walk was troublesome because of the heels but you decided there was no use in whining. The chilly early November air was refreshing after spending the whole day inside a meeting room. A cold gust of wind blew in your direction and you hugged your grey wool coat tighter—thinking how the evening would go on since you were feeling a bit confused for suddenly being invited to dinner by one of your superiors.

“This one is good.” James took the sea urchin sushi and gave it to you.

Both of you were at the end of the long bar as three chefs made and served the sushi. It was the first time you visited that upscale restaurant and you could say that you were not disappointed. Though the number of plates James had been getting for you both was starting to alarm you, he seemed to thoroughly enjoy the food for someone who still looked fit even in his mid-30’s. And you could only look at him amusedly and simply enjoy the food as well.

“Do you have any plans in going back to Cologne?” He asked when you were about to finish dinner. He knew you studied and lived there for quite some time during one of your small conversations before.

“I don’t know yet.” You replied as you took a glance at him. His bright green eyes seemed genuinely curious.

“Why not? Your professor gave us a stellar recommendation before. You can work your way up from being a Research Assistant. If you’re interested in being a curator, we are actually looking for one in Cologne.” He was speaking professionally and that made you even more intimidated.

“I think I’m more needed here… as of now.” And that made him nod in understanding.

It was his next words that took you aback.

“I’ve seen your portfolio and I think you have potential. If you don’t want to pursue a gallery job, I think the art world needs more artists like you.” He smiled then and you felt warmth seep through your chest. Here was an established gallery director who just complimented you. Your worth as an artist was being acknowledged and a small embarrassed smile appeared on your lips. “Just keep your options open. You can contact me anytime if ever you’re back in Cologne.”

“Y/N-ah!” a familiar cheerful voice greeted you from behind and who you saw made you break out into a huge grin.

“Seungri-ssi!”

As soon as you stood up from your seat, you were enveloped in a brief yet tight hug. “What are you doing here in Tokyo?”

“I’m working here until the end of the month. We’re opening a new gallery here.” Seungri nodded his head and then his gaze went to the person beside you. James stood up as well and he completely towered Seungri but the latter didn’t seem to be fazed. Not forgetting your manners, you introduced them to each other in English. “Seungri-ssi, this is James Adler. He’s a Gallery Director from Cologne. He’s working with us right now.”

James extended his hand and Seungri politely shook it. “And this is Lee Seung Hyun. He’s a…”

“A friend.” Seungri grinned—his English was cute to listen to. “You can call me Seungri.”

“You two seem very close.” James remarked and you were about to dispute that when Seungri wrapped an arm around your shoulders and lightly pinched your left cheek. You felt like a little kid being squished then and there.

“We are. I haven’t seen you in like two months!” Seungri was all smiles and then he switched to Korean. “We have a lot of things to talk about.”

“Eh?”

He switched back to English. “I said… me and you need to talk… many things!”

That made you laugh and when you looked at James, he was staring at the two of you amusedly. As if getting the cue, he extended his hand for another handshake with Seungri. “I guess I’ll take my leave then. It’s nice meeting you.”

“Nice meeting you, too.” Seungri seemed so different when he was using his businessman voice that you shook your head in disbelief.

James turned to you and patted your arm. “I’ll see you on Monday.”

“Yes. Thank you for the dinner.” You smiled at him and then he left.

Seungri pulled out a mask from his coat pocket and wore it. Without saying anything, he led you out of the restaurant and into a car waiting outside.

“Where are we going exactly?” You asked as Seungri sat beside you.

“Another dinner.” He sounded different then and it made your heart pound against your chest.

“But I just ate—“

Seungri pulled down his mask and looked at you with narrowed eyes. “Please don’t tell me you’re seeing that guy.”

His assumption made the dull throbbing on your temples worsen. Sighing, you explained everything even if you thought there was no need for you to do it. “He’s my boss and he just invited me for dinner. And he’s interested in scouting me to work with him in Cologne.”

“He’s probably interested in you then.” He said curtly and you were starting to get confused why he was affected.

“He isn’t.” You huffed—feeling your blood starting to boil. You had no idea why but you were losing your temper. “And I think it’s none of your business if he’s interested in me or not.”

“It’s my business.” He countered and you stared at him for the longest time when he didn’t follow up what he just said.

Stuttering, you clamped a hand over your mouth as you thought about Seungri actually liking you. “You… you…”

“Yah! Don’t get the wrong idea! I don’t like you like that!” He looked incredibly flustered then as you gave a sigh of relief. “It’s just that Seung Hyun-hyung seems kinda out of it lately… and I think it’s got to do with you.”

The mention of his name made your heart drop to your stomach and you felt a sense of dread overcome you. Seungri noticed that sudden change in your expression and his voice became gentler as he scooted closer—his hand resting on your forearm.

“When was the last time you talked to him?”

You tried to quell the tears that were about to spill.

I am not going to cry in front of Seungri!

“A few weeks ago… before you shot your music video.” Your response made Seungri sigh. It was as if he couldn’t believe the situation you were in.

“I really shouldn’t be meddling with other people’s relationships. I told myself that the two of you can work it out on your own but it seems I’m mistaken.” He started and his hold on your forearm became firmer. “But it just worries me how moody hyung has become—much more than usual.”

You felt a weight on your chest at that information. “And why do you think I’m the reason for that?”

Seungri’s gaze softened and you tried your hardest to control your emotions.

“He really likes you.”

There was an eerie silence that followed and your mind went a thousand ways at once. And all you could manage to say was a broken, “H-how?”

“There was one time all of us members were together after a fan meeting in China months ago. We were all kind of wasted but hyung got so drunk he just started babbling about pottery and ‘how ing difficult it is’.” He imitated Seung Hyun’s voice and despite being on the edge of breaking down into tears, you cracked a smile. “So he was ranting about pottery making when all of a sudden he mentioned you and he said in a very drunken way…”

“‘And she looked so ing beautiful I thought I would die.’”

It was as if all the air left your lungs as memories of that time you spent with him in your friend’s pottery shop came rushing back. You had never thought much of it then but you could suddenly remember how he was staring at you as you were painting a vase and how adorably frustrated he was when you were teaching him how to make a bowl.

“Then why didn’t he contact me after I confessed to him?” You finally said and Seungri gave a loud gasp as he flailed your arm he was holding.

“You confessed?!”

“You told me to!” You shouted back at him and he started laughing.

“I feel like I’ve accomplished something great here!” He excitedly dragged you out of the car as soon as it stopped in front of another restaurant.

He pulled up his mask and did not let go of your forearm when you were walking inside the restaurant. As a maître d' approached him, he spoke in Japanese and you were being led to one of the private rooms.

“Is it just the two of us?” You asked quietly and Seungri shook his head.

“Hold this. It’s your present for him.” He handed you a gift bag which had a bottle of wine inside.

“Eh?” There was no time to react when the maître d' opened a door and you were both led inside an elegant private room. Familiar faces greeted you and you felt like your heart had burst through your che

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter