Blue and Purple

The Interpreter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Filming was in full swing. You felt like a ticking bomb ready to explode these past couple of weeks. Your work was becoming more demanding as the production company tried to cram everything in a short period of time. Evening shoots were being made and you were starting to feel stressed from the lack of sleep. And to add the fact that you realized that you had a big fat crush on Choi Seung Hyun. You had always found him attractive and interesting so the revelation was something expected. The first time you noticed him, you were drawn to his charisma. How could a person look so handsome and have that rich and deep voice? And then you found out he was funny and incredibly candid that made you like him more. Also, his passion for art had made your admiration for him reach a new height.

Somehow, he had unknowingly crawled his way into your life.

“Cut!” The German director shouted and you quickly made your way to him. The old man looked like he was about to pass out from the lack of sleep but he managed to give you a small smile when you stood beside him.

“Please tell Tom to move more aggressively once he sees the bad guy.” He referred to the actors by their characters’ names and you found it adorable in a way. Nodding your head, you walked a few steps to a slightly heaving Seung Hyun.

“Are you okay?” You asked as he finished his bottle of water. He simply nodded and you relayed to him the director’s order.

Seung Hyun looked extremely tired. His face had become even thinner and the bags under his eyes deepened. He hadn’t been able to have his English lessons because he would go straight to his hotel room as soon as filming’s done for the day. So you hadn’t really done anything remotely similar to what you did two weeks ago. Well… except for a few occasions spent inside his trailer where he would make you look at art pictures on his phone. The short art discourses you had were always interesting—with the exchange of artists, artworks, and interpretations. You noticed that it was his way of clearing his mind and getting some sort of inspiration.

A person who could appreciate art in its truest form was a person admirable in your eyes.

They resumed filming the scene where he and an assailant were fighting. Silently, you watched the scene unfold and with a few more takes, it was finished. Seung Hyun stood beside you as you watched the playback and translated for him and the director. The crew were packing up the equipment and the props used in the scene.

And it all happened so quickly then.

A strong wind blew and you heard someone shout right behind you. In a split second, you saw plywood falling down right above your head and the first thing that registered to your mind was the person standing beside you. You yanked him as hard as you could and with your eyes suddenly snapping shut, you felt your back hit the ground.

It took you a few moments before your awareness kicked back in. You had expected to crack your head but it was cushioned with something solid yet infinitely safer than the pavement. Your eyes flew open as you felt the weight of Seung Hyun above you. Your face was nestled on the crook of his neck and you were both panting heavily from the shock and adrenaline pumping through your veins.

“You’re heavy.” You mumbled and Seung Hyun quickly rolled off of you and stood up.

And then everything was a blur after. Everyone in the crew was panicking as someone picked you up and placed you in the set paramedic’s van. They were there for all the stunt scenes in case someone gets harmed or injured. And this was actually the first time they made use of their job since filming started. You were told that two crewmen who were carrying the plywood were able to support it before it landed on you and Seung Hyun.

“You acted so quickly you could be a stuntwoman.” The director walked over to you as soon as the paramedic was done inspecting you. The paramedic said you would have bruises on your thigh and bum. It was a good thing you were not extremely injured.

“Is Seung Hyun… Is Tom okay?” You asked the director and he pointed at Seung Hyun who was looking extremely serious sitting on his actor chair. His manager was telling him something you couldn’t catch.

“You go talk to him. And take it easy. Night shoots are done for now.” The director gently patted your head and went to speak with the crew.

Your bum felt weird as you walked to where Seung Hyun and Hong Il were. The manager worried over you as he made you sit down on one of the chairs.

“No, thanks. I don’t think I’ll be able to sit for a while.” You tried to joke and you saw the scowl on Seung Hyun’s face deepen. “Did you get hurt?”

“Don’t mind me.” He tersely replied without meeting your gaze and it was the first time you saw him in such a bad mood. Maybe you had yanked him too hard. You inspected him with your eyes and he seemed fine—except for that dark look on his face. It would be better not to speak with him at the moment.

“Rest well.” You bowed your head to him and Hong Il. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

It was difficult to sleep that night since your body was starting to ache all over. And Seung Hyun’s glower was still etched at the back of your mind. You had no idea why he was suddenly so bad-tempered. Maybe it was due to the stress and lack of sleep as well. And he had been back to being aloof since filming became hectic. You had heard from his interviews before that he always kept to himself whenever he was exhausted or was missing home. So those were probably the reasons why his mood suddenly shifted. There was that time Taeyang had sent him a handwritten letter and you could see a glint in Seung Hyun’s eyes for a while. But that disappeared just as quickly as he had shut himself in his own world once more.

In all honesty, Seung Hyun intimidated you a lot. His presence itself made you feel small and unworthy. And add the great genes, talent, recognition, fame, and money… You were just a speck of dust in his wondrous universe. Still, you saw cracks you couldn’t help but see. That he had a gentle and sensitive soul… with the way he interacted with the people around him. He was observant and was always thoughtful with how he uses his words. And he had the eyes of someone who always saw something different. And you gradually realized that what he physically had would be nothing compared to something intangible such as his exceptional character.

He was your last thought before you finally fell asleep.

 

You walked into the set slightly limping because of the unimaginable pain at the back of your right thigh and bum. You wore a maroon skater skirt that would not restrict the bluish purple bruise you had. It was a good thing that the length of the skirt covered enough of your upper thighs that your bruise did not show. Some of the crew asked how you were and you found it adorable how they were kind of looking out for you.

Once you arrived in Seung Hyun’s trailer, you conversed with his make-up artist and stylist as usual. Seung Hyun and his manager always arrived a few minutes before the schedule and it was still early.

“It’s going to look really ugly.” The make-up artist commented as you showed her the bruise on your thigh.

“I’ve never had a bruise like this before. It looks awesome.” You joked and the make-up artist shook her head.

“Can I try putting on concealer?” She took a concealer and a new sponge and went to sit down right behind you. You were curious how it would look like.

“Ouch.” The hair stylist cringed when the make-up artist lifted you skirt up higher and the bruise spanned from a quarter of your upper thigh to the bottom part of your cheek (which was covered of course). Your right side took most of the impact when you fell down. Holding on the edge of the table in front of the vanity mirror, you realized you looked absolutely pitiful.

“I brought warm compress.” You chuckled as you turned your head to watch the make-up artist start doing her magic. She started from the top of the bruise on your thigh as she gently dabbed the sponge on your skin—gradually covering the unsightly color.

Your neck started to ache from looking at your back so you resorted to bowing your head and waiting for the make-up artist to finish. It was a few moments later when you heard someone clear their throat and your head snapped up to see Seung Hyun's reflection. He was standing by the door and looking at the probably offensive sight before him.

Quickly, you pulled back from the make-up artist to hide the unwelcomed view. He probably saw my underwear! You mentally screamed as your face flushed in embarrassment.

“Good morning. I’m concealing her bruise.” The make-up artist explained as she gave you a steely look. “Let me finish it or else I’ll go crazy the whole day.”

“But—“

“Don’t mind me.” Seung Hyun cut off and his words echoed exactly what he said to you last night. He sat on the couch at the other side of the trailer and started reading his script.

 It seems like he’s still in a bad mood.

The make-up artist slightly lifted your skirt and resumed putting on concealer on the remaining half of your bruise. You didn’t mind that your thigh was on parade in front of the two women earlier. But Seung Hyun was there and even though he wasn’t looking, the heat on your face worsened by the second.

“Are we done now?” You whispered to the make-up artist and she clucked her tongue.

It took another minute before she let down your skirt and lightly patted your bum. “There. Go easy on yourself

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter