Pictures

The Interpreter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Turn around.

And you did.

He stood there looking more relaxed than you had seen him earlier. There was something so elegant with the way he always dresses. Even when he was wearing a plain blue sweater matched with black slacks, he managed to look like he was out for a magazine shoot. Still, he looked boyish and comfortable with his freshly-showered pastel pink hair. A soft smile appeared on his lips and you reciprocated—suddenly feeling shy because he just kept staring at you without saying anything.

It was you who broke the silence.

"What are you thinking about?”

“You.”

His reply made the thumping in your chest quicken. Sighing softly, Seung Hyun opened his arms wide as he slightly tipped his head backward. The action reminded you of that time he asked for a hug and you couldn’t help the grin that appeared on your face. Without waiting for another second, you quickly went straight to his arms and hugged him fully. He gave out another deep sigh as soon as you settled yourself inside his embrace. You reveled at his familiar scent and the warmth of his body.

“Did you have a good time earlier?” He asked and you nodded your head—your face still burrowed on the crook of his neck. “That’s good. I put in extra effort tonight knowing that you were there watching me.”

You were sure he could feel you smiling on his skin. “You’re great as always.”

Seung Hyun chuckled and then proceeded to rub circles on your back for whatever reason it was. Comfortable silence filled the room and you didn’t know how long it lasted until he pulled back and led you to the other side of the suite where a table was already set for dinner.

“I hope you don’t mind that I asked for room service tonight.” His tone seemed oddly cheerful that you just nodded amusedly. “I wanted to be alone with you.”

It felt like suddenly being thrown into the air and you hoped he didn’t notice the sudden redness on your cheeks. He made you sit down on a chair and he sat in front of you. You had no idea why but you felt a little awkward when the two of you started eating. It was the first dinner you got to share since his birthday. A hundred thoughts flooded your mind since you kept thinking of what you would talk about or would do or what would happen throughout the remainder of the evening with just the two of you…

A sudden thought suddenly appeared in your mind and you almost choked on the meat you were chewing.

“Are you okay?”

Coughing, you drank the water beside you and just smiled sheepishly. Seung Hyun was looking at you with knitted brows as he shook his head.

“What were you thinking that you choked on your food?”

I can’t believe you.

You told him that first thought that came to mind. “Is the wine for me? Will we drink it tonight?”

Raising his eyebrows and without saying anything, he stood up and took the wine you saw earlier. There was something about how he expertly opened that bottle that made you stare in awe. You wondered just how many bottles of wine he had--

The blush spread to the tips of your ears and you kept fidgeting as you started to feel strange because of where your thoughts were going. Why did he have to kiss me like that earlier?

The only sound you could hear was the wine pouring into the glasses. Once he was done, the two of you clunk your glasses and you tentatively took a sip—savoring the strong yet elegant taste of the red wine.

“It was made in the year you were born.” Seung Hyun spoke then as he twirled the rich liquid inside his glass. “I think this is the first wine I bought made in that year.”

“This must cost a lot.”

He shrugged. “Not too much.”

“Don’t lie.” You chuckled which surprised him. “This is Petrus and I know for a fact this probably costs around 2000 dollars more or less.”

Seung Hyun’s mouth rounded into a small “o” and then he grinned. “You’re doing wine research now.”

“How can I not get interested when you always talk so passionately about wine?” You grinned back and it seemed like Seung Hyun couldn’t contain himself when he reached out and pinched your cheek as he made that cute amazed sound.

“Petrus is one of my favorites.” He started once he leaned back on his chair. “Did you know that it’s because of the clay in the Petrus vineyard that makes their wine unique?”

He proceeded to tell you about the winemaking process of that particular brand and you actively listened—appreciating the fact that he would always share a bit of trivia with you during your conversations. Seung Hyun was intelligent not in the conventional sense… but his understanding of the arts and music and wine really defined who he was as a person. His cultured mind was something only a few people would be able to understand. And maybe that was why you also put in effort to understand him in the areas you were not all too familiar with. You wanted to be closer to him and in that process, you also allowed yourself to learn more.

 

It must've been an hour later when you found yourself lounging on the couch with Seung Hyun-- the expensive bottle of wine was almost empty. You were both laughing at the story you just told him. One that involved you getting accidentally poured by a bucket of blue paint when you were still a student.

"One of my classmates was laughing at me so I did what I could to solve the situation."

Seung Hyun leaned closer. "What did you do?"

Maybe it was because of the wine in your system... or maybe you just felt like it…  You suddenly locked your arms around his shoulders and rubbed your cheek against his.

"I did this and I wasn't the only blue person in the class."

It only took a few seconds until you noticed Seung Hyun who had stilled in your arms. You let him go with an awkward chuckle. His eyebrows were slightly furrowed when you looked at him and then you couldn't help but feel embarrassed all of a sudden.

"Sorry." You muttered as you looked away but Seung Hyun was quick to pat your head.

"I have a present for you."

He reached forward to get a brown square book under the coffee table. A same-colored string was tied around it and he gently put it on your lap.

"I want to give you something in return for the one you gave me. I can't draw or paint like you..." He looked embarrassed then and you found yourself grinning from ear to ear. "But I do like taking pictures."

You didn't know what to say since you found the situation quite unexpected. It didn't even occur to you that he would do something like this. Untying the string and flipping the book to the first page, you felt your heart jolt at the picture you saw.

"Seung Hyun-ssi..." You stared at him and he was softly rubbing his lips—a habit of his that you discovered whenever he felt anxious or was thinking deeply.

"I thought about sending you the pictures but I felt like it would be rather impersonal." He chuckled then as he motioned for you to look at the rest.

You looked at the picture again and it was the movie set you were both in months ago. You were holding your trusty notebook and staring at the sky ahead... your pink hair completely in contrast with the otherwise somber colors of the crew around you. The next pictures showed you in everyday life. Included were things you vividly remembered as well as places you visited. Most pictures were of you and you had no idea that you were being the subject of a curious man. Sitting inside the train from the castle back to the city, painting a vase, gallery visits, singing on the stage while playing the piano, your studio in Cologne... Then there was a collage that made you laugh out loud. A four panel square of you sleeping inside his car and on his bed.

"Yah!" You lightly hit him on the arm. "I look ridiculous here."

"You know better than to sleep when I'm around." He grinned and you laughed again.

"And you really think you're the only one who sneakily takes pictures?"

His eyes widened as you smirked. "Don't post them anywhere."

Shrugging, you continued looking at the pictures and you felt tears prickle your eyes when you saw the view of Montalcino. And then the picture he had taken of you when he asked you to twirl. It came out beautifully as your hair and skirt billowed. You saw yourself eating your strawberry gelato, walking in the vineyard, and then you in your white dress amongst a small crowd. The face of the man you were with was hidden and he was holding you so close.

It was Seung Hyun.

"Who took this picture?"

"Min Hee-noona." He chuckled. "She sent it to me as soon as we got back to Seoul."

"It looks really romantic."

"Was it romantic for you at that moment?" His question surprised you and you felt the blush on your face once more.

"It was terrifying."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter