Pride or Love?

Trying To Avoid Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A week later. 

Jessica was sitting alone in the huge living room, waiting for her husband to be back from work. He was late, and strangely enough, she was eager to meet him. Ever since having that encounter with Yuri, she was feeling guilty and ashamed and tried her best to be with her husband to get Yuri out of her mind, which wasn’t as easy as it sounded. 
Her thoughts flew back to that one day… when she silently cried into Yuri’s shoulder and Donghae & Yunho entered the room. Yuri lied saying that she came for the cleansing tissue, and that Jessica's eyes were red and swollen because she had hurt them while removing the make-up. Donghae didn’t seem suspicious; completely opposite to Yunho. The latter glared at both girls and on the next day, there was a really weird atmosphere between him and Yuri. As if they had a huge fight but were trying to act like nothing had happened. That was their last day there anyway, and Jessica didn’t get to speak to Yuri after that. Of course, Yuri had offered her help in case if it was needed, and asked if they could remain friends. Jessica just nodded; and that was the end to everything. 

“I’m home!” she finally heard Donghae exclaim. 
“Welcome.” she got up from her seat with a gentle smile and helped him to take off his coat. “What took you so long?” 
“Oh, I had to take care of Yuri.” 
“Yuri?” Jessica let out a startled gasp at the mention of her name. 
“Yunho’s girl, remember? She fainted from exhaustion or stress earlier today. Yunho is in Japan so I had to—“ 
“Is she okay now? Where is she? Is there someone with her?” Jessica interrupted him, worried. 
“Um. Yes, at home, no. She didn’t even let me inform Yunho, and wanted to stay alone—“ 
“Alone?!” Jessica cut him off again. “Donghae, can you drop me by her house? I want to stay with her.” 
“Are you sure? She said—” 
“I don’t care. Please take me there.” 
Donghae nodded unwillingly and put his coat on again, driving to Yuri’s place. Jessica had no idea what she was doing. Volunteering to stay with Yuri, alone, at night… was it actually the best idea? She tried to be positive and followed Donghae’s directions to the apartment. 

Yuri was actually indeed alone. She had fought with Yunho again; she had no will to inform him. And she also had no desire to call somebody for help. Help with what, after all? She was doing just fine alone. When she heard the knock on the door, she at first thought it was Donghae. Or someone from work, who witnessed her fainting earlier that day. She was a little annoyed by that thought, but she still decided on opening the door, and as soon as she saw who it was… she lost warmth of feeling and was stunned to no end. She became motionless and paralysed, and just stared at Jessica for some time, frozen with shock. 
“Um… hello?” Jessica uttered at last. 
“Oh.. hey.” Yuri replied, with the same dying tone. “It’s…a pleasant surprise.” 
“Can I come in?” 
“Sure…” Yuri welcomed her in and led to the living room, to sit on the couch. The atmosphere around was awkward and tense, and both girls kept rubbing their fingers in utter embarrassment. 
After a few moments of racking her brain in search of a conversation starter, all Jessica could come up with was, “So how are you feeling?” 
“Fine.” came the short reply. 
“But what caused so much stress?” 
“Um well, — Yuri paused, — Things just have been tough lately.” 
“With Yunho?” 
“… Kind of.” Yuri hesitated. 
“So you’re…” 
“On the verge of breaking up, yes.” 
After a brief pause, Jessica finally managed to speak up, “Yuri, I don’t know how to put it correctly, but…” 
“Don’t worry. It’s not your fault. I’m just… I mean… it’s mine. My fault.” Yuri sighed. Her gaze was suddenly caught by the Twilight series on the table not far from where they were sitting. She hated those books sometime before. She heaved a sigh, “I used to think she was stupid. I understand her so well, now.” she said, pointing at Bella's photo.  
“You mean being in the middle of a love triangle?” Jessica speculated. 
“Exactly.” 
It was weird how Jessica was perfectly aware that Y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter