Day 2: First Piece of Information

Trying To Avoid Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Day 2, Sokcho. 

“Seems like they're fighting...” Yuri sighed as soon as Donghae and Jessica's voices rose above the silence. The arguing came right through the walls as loud as any TV show. Although neither Yuri nor Yunho could get the details, they could clearly sense the dull exhaustion to the arguing, like the other couple had been over the same bitterness too many times before. 
“Let's go there.” Yuri suggested, standing up. 
“Are you kidding me? What for?” Yunho protested. 
“Can you take Donghae-ssi for a walk while I speak to Jessica?” 
“I don't think we should interfere. That's their personal business.”  
“We came here for a vacation. I don't want anyone to ruin anyone else's day.” Yuri reasoned. 
She spent some time to persuade him, but before she could succeed, they heard a loud sound and with that, all the noise coming from HaeSica's room deceased. Shock registered on both Yunho’s and Yuri's faces as they exchanged frightened looks and flew to the exit, quickly making their ways to knock the door to the room used by Donghae and Sica. But before they could do so, the door swung open and Donghae panned into view. He frowned in confusion as his eyes met the two, but he still got Yunho’s gesture and decided to leave with him, semiconsciously letting Yuri in. 
Yuri ran into the room, expecting, hoping, needing to see Jessica. She looked all around the room: no one. She sprinted up and crossed the room in record time, stopping before the closed bathroom door. She tried the handle; locked. 
"Jessica, please, open the door." she pleaded.
"Later... please." came Jessica's muffled reply. 
"Jess, please. I want to talk." Yuri begged. Jessica didn't reply, her only responses were her muffled sobs coming through the door. 
"Jessica, you don't have to go through whatever this is alone. Open the door." Yuri persevered. A few more pleas passed until Yuri finally heard the creak of the door opening. And her heart caught in when Jessica appeared before her: the gorgeous brown eyes were red and swollen, and she looked paler than usual. Jessica avoided her eyes, looking down between them. Her eyes were flashing and filled with hurt, and Yuri could openly see that. She reached out for Jessica’s hair, and brushed a few stray braids out of her face. Her usually pale skin was cherry red and a faint outline of a handprint could be seen on the right cheek. 
“Did he hit you?” Yuri let out a startled gasp. Jessica only looked away and blinked briny tears from bloodshot eyes, and they made wet tracks down her face and dripped from her chin. Her pride felt particularly flat at that moment, because she accepted it with a sigh. A heartwrenching feeling hit Yuri in an instant and tore her chest apart.
“Oh my goodness…” Yuri gasped again and seized Jessica in her arms. She carefully sat on the bed, holding and squeezing Jessica so tightly that Jessica nearly couldn't breathe, and she cried into Yuri's shoulder. Yuri tried to comfort Jessica and reassure her that Donghae would soon regret and be sorry for his actions, but Jessica only bit her lip and thought over what those words actually meant to Yuri. She wondered if Yuri understood that her husband made her feel trapped and unsafe and just... detached. Being inside the walls of Donghae's house made her feel restless and powerless. There was still so much she had to cope with. 
“Sometimes he makes me want to just... die.” Jessica mumbled, but Yuri heard the words clearly and they caused a twinge of hurt inside her chest. She hated Donghae at that moment, for the hurt he had caused to Jessica. 
Jessica sniffed, wiped her tears away and broke away from Yuri’s hold, saying: “I’m sorry I’ve been an inconvenience to you. You should be out with your boyfriend enjoying your time but—” 
“You’re not an inconvenience, Jessica. I’d rather be here with you than anywhere else.” Yuri gave her a warm smile, placing a hand on her shoulder and giving it a comforting squeeze.
Jessica smiled back at her and caressed Yuri’s hand with her thumb. “Thank you. For everything.” 
Yuri wrapped her arms around her and embraced her, sharing the entire warmth she had within herself. “Wanna go out? We could go over to the beach.” she suggested. 
“Oh, I, um…” 
“Come on, don’t refuse! The weather is fantastic!” Yuri hated any kinds of rejections, and this time it was no different. She knew getting some fresh air and having some fun at the beach would be of much help to Sica. Still holding her by the hand, she led her outside. Jessica wasn't quite resisting, but not quite following either. 

Yuri wasn't wrong. The sound of waves crashing against the shore combined with the heat of the sun nearly brought the devastated Jessica back to life. 
Yuri insisted on entering the water, and she had a c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter