Chapter 2

Worlds Apart

2

Jiyeon came out of the gate together with a brown-haired lad, who turned out to be the owner of the red Hyundai car. He opened the car door and in a prince-like manner, he let Jiyeon inside.

--

The next day, Myungsoo went to Jiyeon’s house to deliver newspaper, partly expecting to see her and talk to her. But there was no sign of her in the garden and when he yelled for ‘Newspaper!’, no one came out of the house. He thought he should let it pass and just wait for the afternoon to come and see her in school.

Exactly after class, he hurried to Anyang Integrated Laboratory School too see Jiyeon. The same Hyundai car was parked in front but this time Myungsoo went near. Just like a coincidence, Jiyeon came out. She clearly saw him, he knew, and so he waved his hand at her.

“Hey,” Myungsoo said.

She smiled genuinely and replied, “Hi. How are you?”

“I’m fine. I missed you this morning, I think.”

She seemed surprised at the usage of ‘miss’ in the sentence.

“I mean, I have not seen you at your house this morning.”

“Oh, yeah... I had something to do.”

Coming out from the gate and approaching them, the same brown-haired boy spoke, “Jiyeon, let’s go?”

Jiyeon’s face frowned as if she’s disappointed and frustrated. She told Myungsoo, “I have to go,”

Myungsoo stared at her, wide-eyed.

“And he is? Whose household son is he?” the boy asked, glancing at Myungsoo from head to toe.

“Ahhhh, just someone I know,” Jiyeon smiled at him. “Come on, let’s go Sehun.” The two of them went into the car and soon left no trace of a car parked there.

 

That night, at around 7:00, Myungsoo couldn’t get the happenings out of his mind. So he took off to Jiyeon’s house.

Outside the mansion, a lot of luxury cars were parked and the house itself was brightly lit and full of people in their business suits, sipping their wines and chatting with each other. Out on the corner, he saw Jiyeon with a couple of teenagers, merrily talking and eating not to mention they were dressed in expensive clothes too. The boy from before was also there, and he was seated beside Jiyeon.

Myungsoo briefly looked around and he certainly did not know anyone other than Jiyeon.

On Jiyeon’s perspective, she caught Myungsoo from the corner of her eyes but Myungsoo wasn’t looking at her and was instead preparing to go away. She wanted to talk to him but at the same time, she does not want to hurt him.

--

 

On a beautiful weekend morning, Myungsoo’s voice disturbed the silence of the town upon yelling ‘Newspaper!’ here and everywhere. He especially made it very loud when he stopped by Jiyeon’s house. Unlike the other day, this time he saw her in the garden, pruning some plants.

“Jiyeon,” he called her in a whisper.

She turned around to face him but she looked bothered by it. “What are you doing here?” she said.

Myungsoo was surprised. “What do you mean? I just want to talk to you.”

“You can’t. We can’t.” Jiyeon briefly replied, turning away from him.

Myungsoo caught her hand across the grills and he dropped his bicycle. He stood and pulled her closer, “What is it? Tell me what bothers you.”

Jiyeon just stared at him, her eyes shaking in guilt and fear.

“Jiyeon? Who’s that?” A voice came from the balcony. It was her father, looking at the two of them intently.

“I’d like to see and talk to you sir. May I?” Myungsoo replied.

 

 

It was the first time Myungsoo had ever stepped on a marble floor. The house had high ceilings and expensive China porcelains flooded the house. It was no doubt the house of a rich family, richer than he could even imagine.

He was invited to sit down in a maroon, leather couch in the huge living room while Jiyeon’s father and she made themselves comfy.

“So you say you had something to tell?” Her father spoke.

Myungsoo was nervous but he tried hard to pretend he was not. “It is about your daughter sir.”

“What about her?”

“I…. like her, sir.” He said firmly. “And I would like to continue seeing her.”

Jiyeon was surprised and she doubted if what she heard was right. Her father rubbed his chin with his forefingers and thought for a while.

“Interesting….” He said. “There are not many boys who confess they like my daughter.”

“Well I do, sir.” Myungsoo said.

“Okay so,”

Myungsoo and Jiyeon felt hopeful.

“let me do a background check on you.”

“Sir?” Myungsoo muttered.

“What household did you come from?”

Myungsoo thought for a while. “Hoon Dong and Euna Park, sir.”

“What do they do?”

“My father’s a bus driver and my mother’s a housemaid. But years ago, father died and mom left.”

“So you’re alone now? Do you go to school?”

“Yes sir. 10th grade at the central school.”

Jiyeon’s father thought for a moment and then gave a big laugh after. Myungsoo was confused why he was laughing. “Hoon Dong and Euna, never heard of such names. I atleast thought they’d be better than a company of and poo, but—bus driver?! Housemaid?!” He bursted into laughing. “And you proudly say you’re going to the central school? Is this some kind of joke? Because it is really funny!!”

Myungsoo still can’t get the reason of the humor. Jiyeon seemed to be very disappointed.

“Okay. Let me put this short. You do not have anything- not even a penny in the bank. Your quality of education , and your household is a messy, bloody scandalous one. How do you expect to contribute to my company? You’re just some filthy lad who goes around with courage but not with stocks and shares!”

“Stop it Dad.” Jiyeon stood up. “I told you, you should’ve not come. Please get out Myungsoo.”

Myungsoo’s eyes were all dried up, but on the inside he was crying buckets. His knees were too weak to stand but he had to get out of the house.

When he rode his bike and drove very fast, his tears now fell until the road looked blurry and undustinguishable. For him, it was alright to be rejected, but humiliated and insulted just because he was poor did not seem right to him. It was not his fault, and he couldn’t blame anyone also. He was born as that and he could not change it. But maybe with a little hardwork and determination, he can.

And it was too late, he’s already determined to change. 

 

A/N: Chapter 2 is here! Stay tuned for the next chap. Comments, upvotes, and subscribers are always welcome :)