Chapter 6

Worlds Apart

6

On a sunny morning, Jiyeon woke up feeling very dizzy. Her head hurt so much and her breath smelled of alcohol. She struggled to get up and found her way to the bathroom. She brushed her teeth while holding her head and keeping her eyes closed. She washed her face thereafter.

When she got back to her bedroom, she noticed the basin filled with water and the damp cloth that was next to it. And when she looked at the clock, it was already 9:00 am and she was late for work. She put on her clothes and hurriedly went to the company.

 

When she entered her office, Sehun and Lee Seo Joon were already waiting for her. “Ah I’m sorry…. I had a very bad headache so I came late.” She told them as she laid her bag on the desk.

“Your employees are so lucky, even their President works hard to avoid getting late. You don’t really have to come here on time, you’re the President anyways.” Lee Seo Joon, who was her father’s assistant, told her.

“Are you alright? Your complexion looks bad..” Sehun said.

“I’m fine. I must have drunk too much last night, I really passed out.” Jiyeon replied, at the same time, sitting down. “By the way, thanks for taking me home last night. How did you know I was drinking?”

“Who? Me?” Sehun answered her, bewildered. “I didn’t take you home…… Were you drinking?!”

Jiyeon gave off a puzzled look. “Well… I remember I was drinking at the place we often came to. Are you sure you didn’t take me home?”

“I didn’t. I had a meeting which lasted until 9:00 pm.”

“Maybe you walked home by yourself,” Lee Seo Joon added.

“Hey, did you do that?!” Sehun murmured. “You know there are a lot of bad guys during the night. What if they did something to you? Especially when you’re rich and gorgeous!”He walked to her and scolded her as if he was her parent.

“Sorry,” she said and grinned. She wanted to think that she really went home by herself but deep inside, she knows that that’s not what happened. She knew someone took her home, but because she was under the power of alcohol, she couldn’t remember who it was exactly.

“Don’t do that again. If you want to drink, at least go with someone, okay?” Sehun said.

Just then, a knock came.

“Come in,” Jiyeon said.

Myungsoo entered the office and was a bit startled to see the three of them inside.

“Oh, Mr. Kim!” Sehun warmly welcomed him. Myungsoo bowed down. “I saw you here yesterday but you looked like you were in a hurry.”

Myungsoo glanced at Jiyeon and remembered the happenings yesterday. “I just came to tell you something. Can we sit down?”

“Sure,” Jiyeon said.

“I know you are in a hurry to acquire my funds. I don’t want to let your hopes up by pretending that I’m gonna be all out for your company just because we had a meeting once. A three-day business conference is going to be held in Busan tomorrow. It would be a great chance for me to observe and maybe look for better qualified companies. If all else fails, I’ll see you after three days and let’s see what I can make of.”

Jiyeon looked at Myungsoo, as if asking him why are you doing this to me?

“Well, if that’s what you demand Mr. Kim…” Sehun answered when Jiyeon failed to do so.

“Did you get the invitation to the conference?” Myungsoo asked him.

“No, we didn’t. We haven’t heard about it.”

Myungsoo took something out from his suit’s inside pocket and placed the envelope on top of the table. “I have this extra invitation. You can also come if you want to.” He smiled. “I have to go.”

 

When Myungsoo has gone out of the room, Sehun expressed doubt about going to the conference. “Do we have to go? It’s a three day conference and I feel like it will just be a waste of time. We should be focusing on new marketing strategies.”

“I think you need to go.” Lee Seo Joon said. “Mr. Kim is going to look for other prospect companies during the event, we can get to his good side if we prove ourselves much better than those by participating.”

“How about you Jiyeon, what do you think?” Sehun asked her.

“I agree with Mr. Lee. I think we should go.”

“Hmmm. Okay, Mr. Lee has a point. We’ll go.”

“I should do some shopping then. Our rivals are going to show up, I don’t want them to say that the company is almost at its bankruptcy just because I failed to dress up well.” Jiyeon stood up.

“Let’s go, I’ll drop you on my way to the company. I need to do some inventory.” Sehun replied.

--

Myungsoo wandered around a famous clothing boutique in Gangnam. He’s looking for tailored suits as well as designer long sleeves.

Interchangeably, he fits the suits that he chose. One by one, he doesn’t look satisfied with the ones he picked. He went out of the changing room and continued to look for clothes. After a little while, because he was so immersed with looking, he unintentionally bumped into someone.

“Sorry,” He turned around and said. He saw Jiyeon and his eyes widened.

“Are you getting ready for tomorrow?” Jiyeon asked him.

“I left most of my business clothes in America.” Myungsoo replied with a stern face.

“What do you think of this?” Jiyeon asked upon showing Myungsoo a black and white patterned slim fit dress.

“Looks fine.” Myungsoo replied without even looking at the dress.

“I’ll put this on so can you tell if it fits me well?”

Myungsoo didn’t answer but Jiyeon went into the changing room anyway. Myungsoo continued to look as if he wasn’t really paying attention to her. When she came out, “What do you think?”

He hesitated but in the end he glanced at her for a short span. He just shrugged and with a suit that he picked, he went to the cashier and paid.

“Hey! You need to answer before leaving!” Jiyeon yelled. She hurriedly went back to the changing room and changed. She ran to the cashier and paid for it at the same time not letting Myungsoo disappear from her gaze.

But when she got out, Myungsoo was already nowhere to be found. “Did he just stood me up?”

 

Myungsoo walked fast as soon as he got out of the shop. He heard her yell but he continued anyway. He turned around the first corner and hid in the alley. He waited and there was  no Jiyeon who came.

He leaned on the wall and gasped for air. “Waaa, she’s going to kill me at this rate.” Myungsoo was referring to how gorgeous Jiyeon looked when she had that dress on. “How could she ask me if she looks fine? Of course she does!” He did not understand why he’s talking to himself but for sure, he knew, he was dumbfounded by Jiyeon’s beauty. He smiled like a fool and started walking, “Just like when I first saw her..”

--

 

Myungsoo took a long afternoon nap to replace the hours he lost last night due to Jiyeon being drunk. In the middle of silence, a phone call awoke him.

“Oh… hello?” he said, stuttering.

“Hey Matthew, what’s with your voice?” the voice from the other line said.

“Who’s this?” he asked since his eyes were closed and he failed to look at the caller ID.

“It’s Woohyun, you jerk!” Woohyun is Myungsoo’s university classmate and MegaWare’s Vice-President.

“Oh, Woohyun why?” Myungsoo now finally aroused, said.

“Guess what? We won the bidding for the Anderson project!”

“Oh really?” Myungsoo responded, smiling at how Woohyun sounded so cheerful from the other side.

“You should come back as soon as possible. The huge project involves a hotel and a casino; we’re currently making plans but we need you here to have the formal meeting.”

“I get it. But I think it will take long for me to settle things here. I can assure you it will not take more than a month, nevertheless, you should start planning.”

“Alright… but you aren’t staying long there for personal reasons right?” Woohyun teased.

“Hey, you know what, when I get back, you’ll really get a beating.”

“Oops, sorry-“ Woohyun hung up.

--

 

“I’m here!” Myungsoo yelled the moment he entered the house. It was very hot inside and so Myungsoo took his coat off.

His mother came out of the room. “Oh, why so early? You want to eat dinner already?”

It was still 5:00 in the afternoon when Myungsoo arrived. “Ahh, no. I’ll eat when I get back to the hotel. I just came here to tell you something.” Myungsoo sat down and looked around and didn’t find his father anywhere. “Where’s dad?”

“He’s still in the greenhouse. Should I call him?” His mother replied.

“Ah no, no, it’s okay. It’s really nothing important.”

“What is it?” His mother said and sat down across him.

“I have a three-day business conference in Busan tomorrow. Can you pack me some food?” Myungsoo sheepishly grinned.

“Is that it?” His mother replied. “I have some packed side dishes in the fridge already. You can bring them. Ah, wait here, I’ll pack you some fruits your father harvested.”

“Thank you so much.” Myungsoo smiled from ear to ear.

--

 

Myungsoo lifted his suitcase and placed it on the back seat of his Mercedes Benz. He went into the passenger seat and shut the car door.

“Are you sure you’re going alone?” Secretary Ahn asked him as he drove through the street.

“Yeah… anyways, if I ever need something I’m going to call you immediately.”

Secretary Ahn nodded.

 

They arrived at the airport around 7:00 am.

“Take care.” Secretary Ahn told Myungsoo, the moment his suitcase was brought out of the car.

“I’ll call you.” Myungsoo winked.

 

Myungsoo dragged his suitcase and checked in. The plane departed at the exact time and in no less than 30 minutes, they reached Busan airport.

Myungsoo, upon coming out of the airport, looked for a taxi.

“Should we go together?” Someone beside him muttered.

He thought the person wasn’t talking to him but from the corner of his eyes, it seems like he was the one the person was talking to. Nevertheless, he hailed a taxi.

When he got inside the back seat, she followed too. As soon as she closed the car door, she said, “I think we’re going to spend three days together.”

It was Jiyeon and she was brightly smiling at Myungsoo. Myungsoo stared at her, with eyes widening. 

 

A/N: What will happen between Jiyeon and Myungsoo in the span of three days? Please stay tuned! thank you so much for the comments and subscriptions :) i have a lot in store for you!