Chapter 7

Worlds Apart

7

Myungsoo made sure to look inside the taxi to check if Jiyeon really came by herself. And he was right, it was only the two of them on the back seat of the vehicle.

“W-Why are you here?” Myungsoo stuttered.

“What? I was invited to the conference.” Jiyeon replied.

“How about Sehun?”

“Ah, his father wanted him to take the executive training. You know, Sehun is the heir to SKJ Housings.”

Myungsoo took a hold of himself and partially relaxed in his seat. “Uh, excuse me mister, but, can you drop this woman off first..?” He said to the taxi driver.

The driver then asked Jiyeon when they got caught by the red light, “Where are you going maam?”

Jiyeon turned to Myungsoo who was looking outside the window, “Hey, where are you going to stay?”

“Greenhills Hotel..” Myungsoo unknowingly responded.

“Okay, take me there also mister.” Jiyeon told the driver and smiled at him through the rearview mirror.

Myungsoo annoyingly stared at her but she looked outside the window cheerfully. He couldn’t do anything except to stay seated and relax.

 

When they reached the hotel, Myungsoo came out of the car first. He opened the car’s trunk and picked up his suitcase. Jiyeon came out thereafter.

“Is that everything you brought?” Myungsoo asked when he saw her holding only a designer’s handbag.

“Yeah, the rest will be sent by my secretary this afternoon.”

Myungsoo nodded and walked ahead of her. He might look cold and indifferent to her but actually, he was grinning. He found her to be so cute and adorable. Chic but at the same time, elegant.

“Goodmorning,” the receptionist brightly welcomed him.

“Hi, uhm, I would like to get a room. I reserved that last morning. Matthew Kim, please.” Myungsoo told her while she typed in his name on the computer.

“I would like to get a room,” Jiyeon said to the other woman who was in charge.

“I’m sorry maam. We’re currently full because of the three day conference. Did you make any reservations?”

. Jiyeon cursed. She was so confident about her stay but in the end here she is, even forgetting to make a reservation. She glanced at Myungsoo who was now already walking with a key in his hand.

“Ah, nevermind.” She told the receptionist and ran to Myungsoo. “Did you get a room?” she asked.

“I’m on my way there.” Myungsoo showed her his key and continued walking.

“Hey, uhm….” Jiyeon hesitated.

Myungsoo stopped and looked at her, “What?”

She grabbed his arm and hesitatingly said, “Can we share the room?” Myungsoo continued to look at her. “I mean, I tried to get one but they said they’re full. And I, I forgot to make the reservation…”

“No way.” Myungsoo sternly replied. He walked ahead of her but she pursued him.

“Where else do you want me to stay? Come on, it’s just for three nights..” she begged.

“This is not the only hotel here….” Myungsoo told her but she knelt down in front of him and begged. Myungsoo felt embarrassed because other people and hotel staff looked at the two of them.

“Please??” she said while kneeling down.

“Hey, stand up… there are people looking. Stop it,” Myungsoo whispered but Jiyeon remained kneeling. “Alright, alright. We will share the room. Now stand up… ughh so embarrassing.” He said and helped her to stand up.

 

Their room was a first class suite and so it almost looked like a house, complete with all accessories.

“I can have the couch tonight.” Jiyeon said as soon as she sat down on the couch. Myungsoo went straight to the bedroom, secretly grinning.

The bedroom had a couple sized bed and Myungsoo laid his suitcase on the floor. He looked for some comfortable clothes and changed. He went to sleep right after.

Jiyeon dialed the phone and ordered for breakfast. A couple of minutes after, the hotel service came with the meal she ordered. She went to the bedroom to invite Myungsoo to eat but she found him to be in deep sleep. She stared at his face for a while before coming out and eating breakfast alone.

 

The conference is going to start at 9:00 am and twenty minutes before, Jiyeon was getting ready. She took out her clothes from her handbag and went to the bathroom to change.

She saw that the door was slightly opened and so she didn’t hesitate to come in. When she entered, it was to her surprise to see Myungsoo half . Myungsoo also appeared to be shocked as he clumsily covered his upper body with his arms. Fortunately, he had his pants on already.

“Hey! Why don’t you knock before entering?!” he said.

Jiyeon had the chance to look at his chiseled abs before turning around. “Sorry,”

Myungsoo picked up his long sleeves and stormed out of the bathroom.

 

Jiyeon carefully did her hair and make-up after changing. She found out that Myungsoo was nowhere around the suite and so she thought he maybe had been very embarrassed that he went to the venue ahead of her.

She smiled and laughed like a fool whenever she recalls how he looked like when she saw him half . She fantasized about how his body seemed very well-built but later on she snapped out of it and came back to reality.

Finally, she came out of the room. Leaning against the wall beside the door, she found Myungsoo. “Oh? I thought you went already—“ she asked.

Myungsoo waited for her while standing outside of the room. But he didn’t want to tell her this directly so he just said, “Let’s go. We’ll be late.”

 

They entered the venue which was already filled with people who came from different companies in Korea. They looked for a seat and occasionally greeted persons whom they knew. After a couple of minutes, the conference started.

The conference lasted for three full hours and ended at 11:30 am. There was a banquet and afterwards, the food was beginning to be served. After eating his part of the meal, Myungsoo stood up and walked around the hall. Jiyeon was busy talking to someone already.

Myungsoo consistently greeted the people he had eye contact with until he came across Yoona of New Era Infrastructure.

“Oh, you’re also here Mr. Kim,” Yoona started off their conversation.

“So are you,” Myungsoo smiled.

“So umm, did you think about it?” she asked him at the same time sipping from the wine that was just served.

“As you can see, I’m still looking for other companies – that’s one of the reasons why I went to this event.” Myungsoo replied. “Why don’t we take things slowly Yoona ssi…. Let’s get to know each other first before making a decision that can benefit or ruin the both of us.”

“Well, if that’s what you want……. Can I get personal with you?”

“Depends on how personal you can get..” Myungsoo answered in a little intimidating tone. He’s been to a lot of deals that involved women so he quite knew that most of them, perhaps including Yoona, are seducing him for the sake of business.

When they were in the middle of observing and at the same attacking each other with words, Jiyeon interfered him.

“Hey, I’m going back to the hotel for a minute. I think I’m having indigestion.” She said as her hands pressed against her stomach and her face incomprehensible.

Myungsoo showed worry by asking, “Do you want me to come? Come on, let’s go..”

“No, no, it seems like you’re having a conversation. I’ll be back.”

Before even answering, Myungsoo watched Jiyeon walk out of the hall hastily. His concern showed evidently throughout his conversation with Yoona that Yoona began to think about what might be his relation to Jiyeon.

After some time and minutes before the conference resumed, Myungsoo excused himself from her. He went out of the hall and contemplated whether he should go back to the hotel and check on her or just wait. He pulled out his phone and wanted to call her but he realized he doesn’t have her number.

Gladly, he saw Jiyeon entering the hall looking very exhausted. She smiled at him and muttered, “Why are you out here? It’s going to resume awhile now.”

“Oh, uhm, I just wanted to get some fresh air. You know, it feels stuffy inside.”

“Alright. Let’s just put it like that, although I clearly see the worried look on your face.” Jiyeon answered and the two of them went inside the hall.

When the speaker started speaking in front, cold water was served to them. However, Myungsoo asked the waiter for lukewarm water instead. A moment after, he was given what he wanted. He exchanged the lukewarm water with Jiyeon’s cold water.

“Drink this warm water. It’s good for indigestion.” He muttered while keeping a straight face. Jiyeon was surprised at his sudden display of concern but she drank it anyway.

--

The conference officially ended at 5:00 pm and everybody left the hall exhaustingly. Among them were Myungsoo and Jiyeon.

“Where are we going now?” Jiyeon asked Myungsoo as they walked along the hallway.

“Hotel.” He replied. When they reached the street, he paused, “Why…. Do you want to go somewhere else?”

“Ummm, anywhere but the hotel…. I mean, what would I do in the hotel? Shouldn’t we go and look at other places here? I heard there’s a really good botanical garden somewhere…”

Myungsoo looked at his watch and said, “I have tons of reports to organize…. But, let me see, I think I can do them later..”

“Omo, what is this? Are you actually agreeing to what I said? Alright!” Jiyeon almost jumped in excitement.

Myungsoo smiled as he looked at her being so happy. “Let’s go.”

 

The two of them entered Haesung Botanical Garden with great hopes and excitement. Jiyeon got lost among the thousands of plant species that were displayed. Myungsoo just let her be and he remembered those times he went to pluck flowers and gave it to Jiyeon. As he observed her who almost talked to the plants and checked their leaves, it was as if he transported twelve years back—back when everything between him and Jiyeon felt right.

He pretended to walk around looking at the plants but in reality, he walked around while keeping her presence visible in his eyes. Every move she makes, every step she takes, and every little smile that forms in her face, Myungsoo couldn’t help but to fall in love again. But then, just like what he always does, he convinces himself that it was enough for him to see her again. It was already enough that he mustered all of his courage to come back after twelve years and know that she’s doing well even though they were apart.

Myungsoo went out of the garden by himself and contemplated. What if he wasn’t born poor? What if his father owned a company than be a bus driver? He started to question himself.

Just then, Jiyeon came out and saw him. She walked towards him saying, “Waaa, I feel like I’m walking in paradise. The plants are so well-grown and pretty! Do you remember that time when you went to pick some flowers and gave it to me? I missed those days—“ Jiyeon halted.

“I remember. And I regret doing that…” But then again, Myungsoo ceased to blame his status. What if Jiyeon believed in me? What if she threw the opportunity to be the heiress and trusted me? What if she told me that it’s all going to be okay, rather than telling me to go away?

 

A/N: Let us consider all the what ifs and put Myungsoo in our shoes. Nevertheless, will it be possible for Myungsoo to heal the wounds? They still have two days left in Busan so let’s see what happens next! Thank you for the comments (I love reading them), subscriptions, and upvotes!! Please stay tuned!<3