Chapter 13

Worlds Apart

13

“I thought you never liked newspapers,” Myungsoo said and was smiling all over.

Jiyeon was astonished to see him, especially with the odd timing. What’s more odd is that she felt like she was transported back to that exact time when they first met each other.

For two weeks, they never met because time did not let them to. When Jiyeon told Myungsoo one night that they’ll see each other again some time, Myungsoo understood that she wants to distance herself from him, and that she has a lot of things in her mind.

And now that time came, and they were standing next to each other, separated only by a fence of grills in an incredible situation.

“Why are you here?” Jiyeon confusingly asked Myungsoo.

“Because I delivered newspaper….?” Myungsoo shrugged.

“I know… but why? You are not a newspaper delivery boy anymore.”

Myungsoo raised his eyebrows and replied, “I don’t know, I just feel like it.”

“Have you read the article? It says here that—“ Jiyeon excitedly murmured to tell him of the good news but Myungsoo had gone off.

Myungsoo drove his bike fast, and wore a grin in his face. He found an excited Jiyeon too cute. He wanted to surprise her so he refused to give her any more details.

“What……” Jiyeon talked to herself when she saw Myungsoo going away.

She went back to where she was before and drank the remaining bit of coffee. The coffee just made her more excited when she got a call from a trusted staff, Ki Joon.

“Oh, Jiyeon, where are you?” Ki Joon from the other line said.

“Uncle, I’m in the house. Why? I got so many calls this morning, what happened?”

“I can’t believe it too. Come to the company and see for yourself.” He hung up.

Jiyeon was dying out of curiosity and so she hurriedly changed her clothes. It was just a few weeks back when she got the same call from Ki Joon that was filled with fear. Today, she got the call from an overly energetic, cheerful person.

 

 

When Jiyeon arrived at ProHomes, a bunch of reporters waited in front of the building. And as she got out, she can’t help but just smile and get overwhelmed with the amount of attention even though she doesn’t clearly know what was happening.

Finally, she entered the building and it gave her a good atmosphere. Ki Joon’s joyful appearance further gave her motivation and hope.

“I saw the news but the details aren’t clear. Also, I wasn’t able to read it properly. What exactly is happening? Why are there reporters outside?” Jiyeon endlessly talked as the two of them walked across the lobby.

“If you read the heading right, then that’s enough. It may be hard to believe but it really is happening.”

“My question is, what is happening that it’s so hard to believe? Aren’t you going to give me the full report?” Jiyeon answered as she stopped right in front of the door to her office.

Ki Joon just smiled and opened the door to let her in. “Let’s just talk about it later.” He gave her a deep bow and walked away afterwards.

 

Why is everyone avoiding me when I ask them questions? Jiyeon thought to herself as she entered her office.

On top of her desk, there was a laptop. She wondered why it was there but actually, it was Ki Joon’s and he put it there for her to see.

She opened it and it displayed the current market price of their shares and stocks. Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped when she saw that contrary to the dropping of their shares just few weeks ago, the prices today were drastically soaring high.

Jiyeon almost screamed in joy but she can’t help but be puzzled about how the sort of thing happened like a miracle.

Just then, Myungsoo came in.

Again, Jiyeon was surprised to see him.

Myungsoo wore the same smile when they met today as he went to shake Jiyeon’s hands. “Seeing that your happiness can’t be contained, I’m guessing my investment did a good job.”

“What? Are you joking?” Jiyeon abruptly dropped his hand because she didn’t want to believe it.

“Hey, you don’t do that to your current, largest shareholder.” Myungsoo winked.

Eventually, Jiyeon hugged him real tight to the point that Myungsoo almost can’t breathe. She might not say it but the way she embraced him represented a thousand words of thanks and gratefulness.

“How did it happen? Why did you do it? I thought—“ Jiyeon endlessly asked, as she withdrew from the hug.

“Ki Joon hyung talked to me, about how pitiful you were every single day since Sehun and his father pulled out all of the funds.” Myungsoo pulled her back and this time, it was his turn to give her a heartwarming embrace. “That’s one thing to talk about. I have a lot to say. I let you have the time you wanted for two weeks, and I have thought about some things to tell you.”

“What is this….” Jiyeon’s cheeks blushed as she cuddled in Myungsoo’s arms. “Are we finally getting back together?”

It was a solemn moment, and all they can hear was each other’s heartbeat.

However, it was disrupted by a phone’s ringing tone.

They let go of each other as Jiyeon picked up her ringing phone. Myungsoo was taken aback since they got so intimate.

“HEYY!!! How dare you…. How dare you take him back again!! I thought I clearly told you, Matthew is ours!!!” An angry Yoona was on the other line, and Jiyeon had to put the phone away from her ears because her eardrums were almost going to burst.

Myungsoo laughed at the sight of Jiyeon’s destroyed face and while she was trying to keep Yoona calm, he whispered to her, “I’ll see you later.”

It was too late for Jiyeon to ask him why since he got out of the room in an air’s breath.

--

 

Time flew by so fast as Jiyeon kept busy scanning the details for the different pending bidding projects. Ki Joon strongly recommended one certain project, as this was hosted by Seoul’s National Housing Corporation.

As the afternoon rush hour took place, she learned more of the project through Ki Joon who drove her to the venue of the bidding.

At the entrance which was full of people in their business attires, she saw familiar faces. Yoona, who yelled at her on the phone just earlier, was there in a very distressed face. Standing a meter apart from her is a man of tall stature, with a very confident look. She didn’t recognize him at first because of his new clean-cut hairstyle but after looking carefully, she realized that it was Sehun.

When the bidding started, they sat close to each other but never giving in to a conversation. One company bid the lowest and then the real game began.

Yoona bid for half a million dollars, and then she was followed by Jiyeon who bid eight hundred thousand dollars.

It was silent for a minute and Jiyeon thought she already the won but someone spoke, “One million dollars.” The voice came from near her, and it was from Sehun.

A minute or so passed and everyone was about to clap their hands to congratulate Sehun. Jiyeon had a dull expression, and she wondered if Sehun was intending to do that to make her feel bad.

“Two million dollars.” A voice from the far back sounded.

Everyone turned to look at him and fell in awe to know that it was the ever great, global business tycoon, Matthew Kim.

Sehun looked annoyed and frustrated the moment Myungsoo was declared winner of the bidding project. He was given a loud applause and Jiyeon occasionally gave him smiles.

 

The people started to evaporate, and at the same time, Jiyeon walked out of the building. From behind her Myungsoo caught up.

“I see that you’re disappointed because I tore down your opportunity to get the project.” He said.

Jiyeon stopped by the entrance door and faced him, “No, I’m not disappointed. Well maybe a little bit scared…. You’ve become so powerful that even the local businessmen cringed when they saw you back there.” Jiyeon replied, and expressed her words with actions.

“Now you don’t have to worry anymore because we’re sharing the project, I mean, as your company’s investor, I’ve decided that we share the housing project. After all, I only have the production line for the decors that you specialize.”

“What, are you kidding?” Jiyeon couldn’t believe what just came out of Myungsoo’s mouth. She held his hand and unconsciously muttered, “You don’t have to do that....”

In return, Myungsoo held hers and clasped it tight with his, “I told you I still have a lot to say… Can I take you to dinner tonight?” he asked.

Before Jiyeon could answer him, Sehun and Yoona appeared to ruin the blissful moment. Yoona and Sehun were college colleagues but they were never so close to each other.

“Did you two get so close to each other after that night when you shared a hotel room?” Yoona spoke, purposely making it loud.

Sehun tried to control his facial expressions, but a feeling of being deceived continued to show.

“No. And what does that have to with this?” Jiyeon retaliated.

“Congratulations on winning the project.” Sehun diverted the topic and offered a handshake to Myungsoo. Myungsoo gladly shook his hands.

 “What now? After boasting it to me that you’ll be marrying Sehun, is it Matthew’s turn now?” Yoona continued.

That was an absurd question, Jiyeon thought, and she did not want to answer it.

Sehun never gave a look at Jiyeon and walked off on his own. Myungsoo ran to him and told him, “Golden Palace, 6:00 pm. Please come, I just want to talk to you.”

Sehun heard him but never gave a reply. Myungsoo just let him be until he drove off away from them.

“I don’t know if you’re lucky to have those two great men or are they just a source of jinx to your business….?” Yoona gave Jiyeon a look. “Well, I hope this is the last time we meet. I can’t bear to see you again when every time it’s always me who gets defeated.” Yoona didn’t give Jiyeon a chance to reply as she disappeared from her view.

Myungsoo came back and told Jiyeon, “Give me your phone,” Jiyeon undoubtedly handed it to him and he gave his too. Myungsoo entered his contact number and said, “I’ll text you later tonight. See you, I’m going for another appointment.”

Even though they met each other for a month, today was the first time that they exchanged their phone numbers. That was how distant and awkward they were to each other for the first days when they reunited.

--

 

Contrary to the expectation, Sehun was the first to enter the Golden Palace fifteen minutes before six. He wanted to end the issue once and for all, and that’s why he decided to heed Myungsoo’s words from earlier.

He walked with a stern face and as he was asked about a reservation, he said Myungsoo’s name. He was led to a four-seated table and he waited.

Minutes later, Jiyeon came dressed elegantly. She felt excited because Myungsoo told her that they will meet each other for dinner tonight.

When she was guided by the staff to the same table as Sehun’s, she was more than surprised to see him sitting there. Jiyeon hesitated to sit down, but anyway, she did.

Sehun was just as surprised as her, and he wondered if they were both set up by Myungsoo. He thought it was awkward, and he remembered those days when he and Jiyeon casually ate out without any awkwardness in the atmosphere. How did it become like this? Sehun muttered in his mind.

“I don’t know if it’s right of me to ask you how you’re doing,” Jiyeon opened up.

“I’m fine. Yesterday, I was officially proclaimed as SKJ Housing’s Chairman and Executive Officer.” Sehun replied, but never giving her a direct look.

“I know you can do it. You’re just as brilliant as you always were. Never gets flustered—handles things in the best possible way.” Jiyeon complimented.

The atmosphere turned back into being awkward as each of them had something in mind to say.

“I’ll be going to Europe to facilitate the building of our base there. We’re trying to make it global.” Sehun said.

Jiyeon nodded, not knowing what to reply.

“Is two years enough?” Sehun finally said what’s been going on his mind these past days.

“What do you mean?”

“You fell in love again with him after twelve long years. Can’t you also do the same for me after two years?” Sehun mustered all of his courage to tell her that. It was his last resort, because even if he wanted to, he just can’t give her up so easily.

Jiyeon was overcome with confusion. “Sehun, I can’t say—“

“Don’t answer me right now. All I need is two years. We will go separate ways after tonight, and if by chance—if destiny is with us, we will meet at an unexpected place two years after.” Sehun looked at her, and begged her with his sincerity. “And if we really meet at that time, I won’t let you go. Never again.”

Jiyeon thought about it, and it was so much impossible to come true. And just when things between them get heated, it was Myungsoo’s turn to appear.

“I’m glad you came.” Myungsoo told Sehun, who was baffled with his earlier sentiments.

“I thought it was a talk between men. You didn’t tell me I was here to third-wheel.” Sehun blatantly replied.

Sehun stood up to get out of the place, but heard Myungsoo speak before he got far. “I respect you greatly not just because you’re a good businessman but because you are Jiyeon’s friend. After all that happened, I want the three of us to stay close to each other. Even if Jiyeon failed to love you as a lover, she loved you as a friend. And I know it hurts her so much to lose you.”

This time, Sehun turned around and looked at the two of them, “Friend? No, it ends tonight. And I don’t even care.” Sehun said those hurtful words but in reality, as he walked out of the place, it was him who was hurt by his own words the most.

“He doesn’t mean that, does he?” Jiyeon broke down and helplessly sat down.

Myungsoo reassured her by holding her hand, “He’s a good liar, I can sense it.”

--

 

It was time for them to go home and Myungsoo drove Jiyeon to her house. As she got out of the car, Myungsoo told her, “I’ll pick you up tomorrow morning. Pack your things that are good for one day. I’ll see you!”

Jiyeon had not even got the chance to ask him, as he disappeared from her view.

Nevertheless, she slept earlier that night and kept wondering about what might happen the next day.

 

A/N: A double update, that is! Read the next chapter now! J But don’t forget to leave comments down there, a’ight?