Chapter 9

Worlds Apart

9

It would be a lie to say that Jiyeon woke up earlier than usual. But on the third morning of the business conference, it became the truth. She got up without a trace of drunkenness and became extremely hyperactive.

She went out of the room and went into the hotel’s restaurant to get breakfast. Her dark circles showed as she didn’t have a good night’s sleep. She remembered what happened last night and whenever she thinks about it, she can’t help but to cringe in embarrassment.

No, it never happened. Let’s just pretend you didn’t kiss Myungsoo. Jiyeon’s bad side said.

Yes, it happened. What’s wrong with kissing and a little making out? You still love him, don’t you? Her good side replied.

“Uggghhh,” Jiyeon said to herself, scratching her head in confusion.

 

When she came back to the suite, Myungsoo has just got up from sleeping on the couch. Shirtless, he stretched his arms while his eyes are still closed. Jiyeon got a clear view of his muscular back and his thick, full biceps. She wondered how it felt to touch them but no, she immediately dismissed the idea.

“You’re awake…? Oh, I uhhh, I just had breakfast…” she casually said, and went straight to the bedroom. She walked side to side endlessly and fidgeted when Myungsoo came in.

“What…. Are you flustered about last night?” he said when he picked up a shirt and changed into it.

“What? What about last night? Sorry, but I only remember drinking the whiskey one shot.” Jiyeon replied and tried hard to keep a straight face.

“Are you sure you don’t remember?”

“Yes, I don’t.”

“Well it’s a pity. You did something incredible. I was in the middle of crying when you—“ Myungsoo spoke as he walked to her.

“I should get changed.” Jiyeon interrupted and cut him off.

Did she really forget about it? Well, she could because she was so drunk. Myungsoo said to himself.

 

 

When the conference started, Myungsoo noticed that Jiyeon doesn’t pay any attention to him at all. It has become a complete reversal. But more than that, he noticed that Sehun calls her for almost twenty times but she doesn’t even answer them.

Did Sehun already know about them staying at the same room? Did they argue because of me?

“Hey, you got tons of missed calls.” He whispered to Jiyeon in the middle of the talk.

But instead of taking a look at the missed calls, Jiyeon turned off her phone.

“I think Sehun called you many times. He must be worried now that you’re not answering.”

“I know. I’ll just call him back later.” Jiyeon replied but without looking at Myungsoo’s face.

 

The conference officially ended at 11:30 am and Myungsoo and Jiyeon thought it would be best to fly back to Seoul right away.

Dragging his suitcase, Myungsoo hailed a taxi outside the hotel. Jiyeon hesitated to go with him but eventually, she placed her suitcase in the car’s trunk and went inside the passenger seat.

“Are you sure you didn’t leave anything?” Myungsoo asked her.

She nodded and the car started moving.

 

They reached the airport in no time and checked in on the plane.

“What do you think about the conference?” Myungsoo asked when they were seated on their respective seats.

“Boring. I didn’t remember one thing.” Jiyeon murmured.

“Are you alright? Don’t you have the hangover? You seem really out of this world.”

“I don’t know. I think I drank too much that I forgot how it feels like to have a hangover.” She replied and closed her eyes in an attempt to sleep. Myungsoo just let her be while the plane ascended.

 

After a short thirty minutes, they arrived at Seoul National Airport. Myungsoo woke Jiyeon, gently tapping her shoulders. “Heyy, wake up. We’re here.”

Jiyeon opened her eyes with a moan. “Ugh, I feel so dizzy.”

“Are you okay?” Myungsoo said and helped her stand up. He picked up her baggage and assisted her.

Jiyeon held onto his arms and they both came out of the airport arm in arm. “I think the hangover just took effect now.”

Myungsoo chuckled. When they got out of the airport gate, Myungsoo saw Sehun waiting. They met each other’s eyes and instinctively, Myungsoo took Jiyeon’s arm away from his.

“What is it?” Jiyeon muttered, not noticing Sehun’s presence.

“Someone is waiting for you.” Myungsoo told her and walked to Sehun’s direction.

Jiyeon followed and she finally saw Sehun, standing and waiting. “It seems like you were on the same flight with Mr. Kim.” Sehun said, smiling at her. “How was the conference Mr. Kim?”

“It’s good. But for your girlfriend here,” Myungsoo replied and referred to Jiyeon. “it was quite boring.”

Jiyeon had nothing to say between the two men. At the same time, Secretary Ahn appeared. “So, as I promised, I’ll meet you in the company at 3:00 pm.” Myungsoo smiled and went to the car that Secretary Ahn came with.

 

“Judging by your facial expressions, I think you had a great time in Busan.” Secretary Ahn said as he drove through the busy highway. “Was it because you were with her?” he teased.

Myungsoo just smiled. “Secretary Ahn, you really read me well. Without saying anything, how are you able to tell that accurately? Waaa, you are really awesome.”

“But you don’t always admit to it Myungsoo. I’m amazed you are admitting that I read you too well today.” Secretary Ahn smiled at him through the mirror.

 

Jiyeon felt uncomfortable when she sat on the passenger seat, beside Sehun. She was flustered because Sehun saw her with Myungsoo in a clingy position. She was guilty of it but she didn’t know how to properly react.

“I called you a lot of times this morning. Why didn’t you answer them?” Sehun calmly asked.

Jiyeon was beginning to get scared because the Sehun she knew didn’t know how to get mad. And seeing that she was with Myungsoo, she can’t help but wonder about what Sehun might have felt.

“When you called, I was in the middle of the conference. I turned my phone off. Sorry.” Jiyeon lied, because the real reason is she was too preoccupied with what happened between her and Myungsoo last night. “By the way, I was surprised to see you here. You didn’t tell me you were coming to get me.” Jiyeon tried to change the subject.

“I texted you. But as you said, you turned your phone off.” Sehun smiled at her but Jiyeon just found it to be something she should be guilty of.

 

Myungsoo arrived in his hotel but before going out of the car, he handed some papers to Secretary Ahn. “What is this?” the secretary asked.

“That’s a rough draft of a proposed plan for the Anderson project. I barely made it in Busan so I want you to double check it and maybe add some details. Nevertheless, I’m keeping it under your care.”

“Alright. And by the way, Woohyun called. He asked me to tell you to come back to America as soon as possible. I told him I will do my best to persuade you but I don’t think I’ll be able to.”

“Don’t mind him. I will be going back when I settle things here.” Myungsoo assured his secretary and came out of the car.

Myungsoo entered his hotel room and immediately changed his clothes. He texted Kyungsoo beforehand informing him that he will be coming to his house. Kyungsoo sent him the house address thereafter.

He took out his bike and started driving to the said address. In a couple of minutes, he arrived at a fine one roomed apartment.

“Kyungsoo! I’m here!” Myungsoo yelled when he opened the gate.

Kyungsoo went out of the house and welcomed him. “You are lucky hyung. I was making beef stew. Did you have lunch?” Kyungsoo asked as he let his hyung inside the house.

“No, I just came back from Busan. I came just to see your new house…. I really don’t intend to eat the stew you’re so proud of.” Myungsoo teased.

“Ayyyy, come on. Let’s eat.” Kyungsoo served him a bowl of beef stew and Myungsoo started eating right after.

“So why were you in Busan hyung?”

“I had a three day conference. You know what, Busan has a very nice view. Their accent is cool too. I got to enjoy their trademark crab meat.” Myungsoo boasted.

“Waaaa I want to go there too~”

“It was such a memorable experience.” Myungsoo smiled. “Oh, by the way, are you interested in doing your job as a lawyer in the corporate world? You should work under me when you finish your degree.”

“Hmmm, it sounds good.” Kyungsoo’s eyes shined.

“So, would you like to come with me tomorrow? I’ll be visiting a company.”

Kyungsoo thought for a while.

--

 

After having his lunch at Kyungsoo’s, Myungsoo stayed back in his hotel. He closed his eyes in an attempt to take a nap but the kiss that happened last night kept on rewinding in his mind. He felt the softness of Jiyeon’s lips on his, and he was like a fool imagining what could have happened if Jiyeon didn’t stop. He smiled on the thought forgetting that he was here for revenge purposes.

Let’s forget about it. Nothing happened and everything was just a product of the alcohol. His bad side said.

What? Forget it? No way, you still like her don’t you? You should have just gone all in last night. His good side replied.

Myungsoo covered his face with the pillow and forced himself to sleep amidst the confusion in his mind.

--

 

Jiyeon safely reached her house in Sehun’s car. As she went in, Sehun also does and enters her house just like a usual person staying. While Jiyeon went straight to her room and got changed, Sehun automatically looks up something in her fridge and cooks her something for lunch.

When Jiyeon came out and Sehun finished cooking, he noticed the dull expression in her face. “What is it? Are you okay?” he asked. He caressed her face and leaned in for a kiss in the lips but Jiyeon avoided it. He kissed her on the forehead instead.

“I’m just… I’m tired.” Jiyeon replied, not knowing how to handle the awkward situation.

“Eat this first and then get changed. We will be going straight to the company after. I’ll just be in the living room.” Sehun muttered and left her alone in the dining table.

 

 

At exactly 3 pm, Myungsoo entered the conference room of ProHomes. The Board of Directors was already there, as well as the entire executive staff of the company. Everyone stood up when he made his appearance.

“As what I promised, I will be telling you my sincere thoughts about the investment after the conference in Busan.” Myungsoo started speaking. “Honestly, I met a lot of good companies during my stay there. I was also in talks with New Era Infrastructure previously. Well uh, I bet you’re all waiting for this so I won’t drag this for so long. I made up my mind. There are other companies that are much more qualified to receive my funds. I’m sorry to let you down but, I am not investing on ProHomes.”

Every person inside the room almost had a mental breakdown and they felt like the world fell on them. They made a ruckus and Myungsoo walked out of the room without a word. Jiyeon chased him desperately.

She appeared in front of him and blocked his path. “Why are you doing this? I know you’re mad at my father because he insulted and humiliated you, but, are you really going to this extent? If it’s qualifications, I believe we are overqualified to receive your funds but why are you making it so hard for us? You know we are in the midst of downfall yet you are not in any way helping.” Jiyeon blurted out.

Myungsoo ignored her and walked past her.

This time Jiyeon did not bother to chase him but just spoke instead, “When I kissed you, I meant it. I was a little bit confused but I’m sincere with my feelings. How I think of you… how I care, and how I wished I could turn back time—I mean them. So please, don’t let me be like this.”

Myungsoo stopped in his tracks and walked back to Jiyeon. “You’re saying that you still love me?”

Jiyeon looked at him, unable to say the right response.

“No, you just love me because I’ve become like this. I’ve become the rich person, the influential, and the investor whom you will be so proud of. If you really loved me, why didn’t you tell me that you care for me, and that you see me as a great person despite of my poor situation?” Myungsoo said with eyes filled with fury and blame.

Jiyeon shook her head wanting to tell him that he’s wrong but it seems like there’s too much to say and she didn’t know where to start. “How…. I mean, what more should I do to make you believe that all I say is true?” she finally said with traces of begging in her voice.

 

“There can’t be two men in your life.” Myungsoo stared at her.

 

 

A/N: Apparently, it all comes down to choosing. Sehun or Myungsoo? Spoiler (just to make you thrilled): Jiyeon doesn’t choose the one you’d choose. But if you stay tuned and continue on posting up comments, I have a huge plot twist! By the way, sorry I cannot do a double update as of now. Maybe in the later chapters.