Chapter 5

Worlds Apart

5

Jiyeon surprisingly looked at Myungsoo, who entered her office without hesitation. She stopped from scanning some papers and stood up to face him who slowly walked towards her.

“We need to talk,” The both of them spoke at the same time.

There was silence in the room for a while and then Jiyeon broke it first, “It has been a long time since we’ve seen each other……” she said, almost in a whisper. She looked at Myungsoo directly into the eyes, but he failed to give any emotions. “How are you? Wow, I didn’t know you became very successful…..”

Myungsoo looked at her, so intense as if he was reading what’s going on her mind.

Seeing that Myungsoo remained expressionless, Jiyeon turned around and faced the glass window which overlooks the city. “I lost track of time…. How many years have passed by? Seven years? Ten years?”

At this question, Myungsoo broke his silence. “Twelve years.”

Jiyeon turned around and walked to him. She held his face with both of her hands and added, “Twelve years and I haven’t heard from you all along….. You’ve become like this, and I had no idea…..”

Myungsoo didn’t see that coming, and he stepped back from her without knowing. He was a bit flustered and muttered, “I came here to talk to the CEO, your father.”

Jiyeon crossed her arms which hung when Myungsoo stepped back, “The position of Chief Executive Officer is currently vacant….”

“What do you mean?”

“My father had a heart attack last year… He’s currently in bed rest in Hanguk Hospital…..”

Myungsoo was shocked upon hearing that and was about to go out of the room when Jiyeon called him.

“Myungsoo…..” she said.

Myungsoo turned around and walked back to her, “Myungsoo is long dead. My name is Matthew Kim, the owner and founder of MegaWare Corporation.”

Jiyeon held his hand and started to become teary-eyed, “Myungsoo, I’m sorry…. I know it’s my fault for letting you be ridiculed by my father… It’s my fault for not standing up against him, for us. I have a lot to say-“

Myungsoo dropped her hands and without a word, he walked out of the room. When he got out, he leaned on the wall and tried hard to prevent his tears from falling. He clasped his hands into a fist and breathed deep.

Coincidentally, Sehun walked towards his direction. Afraid that Sehun might make a conversation with him, he fixed himself and hurriedly walked past by him.

 

Sehun made his way to Jiyeon’s office after he had his meeting. On his way, he came across Matthew Kim of MegaWare. He wanted to ask him why he’s here in the company, but he looked like he was in a hurry.

When he entered Jiyeon’s office, he saw her leaning on the table with her head looking down. “Hey….” He said.

Jiyeon fidgeted when she heard his voice and immediately, she wiped her face with her bare hands. It took her long to face Sehun.

“Is everything okay?” Sehun asked, walking towards her.

Jiyeon just hugged him tight, to hide the fact that she was crying. Sehun patted her back even though he doesn’t really know what was happening.

--

 

Myungsoo drove his car to Hanguk Hospital. He went to the Nurses’ Station and asked for Jiyeon’s father. He was told the room number and so he walked until he found it.

A guard stood in front of its door and Myungsoo was stopped from walking in. “It’s alright. I’m not coming in.” Myungsoo told the guard.

He stood outside the room, looking over the window that showed Jiyeon’s father lying down on the hospital bed, with an oxygen mask.

Suddenly, the scene where Myungsoo was ridiculed and insulted by Jiyeon’s father play backed on his mind. He waited long enough for the time to come back and show him he has changed incredibly. He wanted to let him know that he’s now become someone who walked around not only with courage but also with stocks and shares. He wanted to throw at him his numerous bank accounts which contained several millions of dollars.

How can you just lie down there when you should be seeing me make lots of money?

That’s not fair… I worked hard to become like this. You need to wake up soon so you would see how a person like me that you once humiliated for being poor is now the only one that can save the company you’re so proud of.

You need to wake up soon so I would not feel guilty whenever I make difficult demands from your company.

You need to wake up so there won’t be any reason for me to hurt her.

I want to see you apologize for all the things you’ve said, so that I can come back to America soon enough. I don’t want to stay any longer because I fear……. I just fear that I’d fall in love again.

Myungsoo told himself.

 

When he got out of the hospital, he called Secretary Ahn to check the schedule for his meeting with New Era Infrastructure.

“The meeting is at 3:00 pm sir. I’ve confirmed with them.” Secretary Ahn said from across the line.

“Alright, text me the place. Thanks.” Myungsoo answered.

--

 

“Oh! Kyungsoo! I’m here!” Myungsoo yelled as soon as he saw Kyungsoo enter the restaurant near Seoul National University.

Kyungsoo smiled and sat down across him. “How’s school today?”

“Agh, I got a lot to do. A lot of paperworks!” Kyungsoo murmured.

 

“Eat a lot, you need it to study.” Myungsoo told Kyungsoo as soon as the crab stew was served on their table.

Kyungsoo indeed ate a lot, but Myungsoo noticed that he kept stealing glances at a girl beside them. “Is she the girl you said you liked?” he asked him.

“Did I make it too obvious hyung?” Kyungsoo replied.

“She’s fine to me. What’s her name?”

“Tzuyu. She’s a fine arts major in my school.”

“Does she have a boyfriend?”

“I don’t think so….” Kyungsoo responded while looking at her.

“Then why are you just stealing glances? You should go and talk to her. Want me to help you out?” Myungsoo said and waved his hands at the girl, as if trying to get her attention.

Kyungsoo grasped his hyung’s hands and added, “Don’t do that hyung…..” He sounded so down.

“Why not? I’m helping you out.”

“She’s a rich man’s daughter. Her sister is currently the President of a large company. She’s too much for me…” Kyungsoo said.

Myungsoo became silent and listened to Kyungsoo as he continued, “Do you see those two guys outside the store? They’re her guards. And that gray Audi outside? That’s hers. I’ve got a long way to go hyung. I need to be like you so I can hold my head up high and talk to her.”

Myungsoo continued eating and spoke, “There are still a lot of girls out there Kyungsoo. You don’t need to push yourself to her….”

“Hyung, what is this? I at least thought you’d tell me I just have to work hard until I become successful….”

“I’m talking from experience…..” Myungsoo said as he finished his meal. “Anyways, you have a brilliant mind so don’t go waste your time on having a girlfriend. Look at me.” Myungsoo chuckled.

--

 

Fifteen minutes before three o’clock, Myungsoo arrived at a traditional coffee shop near Yongsan area. He found himself a table and sat down. After a couple of minutes, an elegant-looking woman entered the shop. She made her way to Myungsoo’s table.

“MegaWare Corporation?” she asked him who was preoccupied with his handphone.

Myungsoo was startled and stood up, “Yes, New Era Infrastructure?”

She smiled and knew she found the right man. “It’s nice to meet you. Im Yoona, the President of New Era Infrastructure,” she said and offered him a handshake.

“Matthew Kim, it’s a pleasure,” Myungsoo smiled and shook her hands. The both of them sat down. “Coffee? Tea?” he asked.

“Tea.”

Myungsoo called for the waiter and ordered two cups of green tea.

“So, what do you think about my company?” Yoona spoke.

“I like it. I’ve done my own research but I want to know more about it from you, the President.”

“Well, we got our building here in Seoul but we’re actually China-based. All our infrastructure materials are imported from Europe, America and Australia. Currently, we’re doing the reconstruction of Namsan tower and instead of importing the materials from different countries, we thought it would save us money if we make the partnership with MegaWare Corporation who specializes in producing the equipment we need.”

“Hmmm, actually, to tell you honestly, I am also in talks with ProHomes about the possible partnership. Well, I’m still thinking about it though…” Myungsoo replied as soon as their teas were served.

“Think about it carefully Mr. Kim. I’m not trying to influence your decision but just so you know, we operate internationally while Prohomes doesn’t even list in the top five of the best housing companies locally.”

“That’s strange though…. As I compared your earnings, ProHomes makes way more money than New Era Infrastructure.” Myungsoo replied, staring at Yoona.

Yoona shrugged and changed the topic, “Anyway, consider it well. I hope by the next time we meet, you have already made a good decision.”

“Okay, I’ll visit you in your company soon. Can we exchange numbers?”

Yoona handed him her business card and they shook hands before she left.

 

“How was it?” Yoona’s sister asked her the moment she got inside the car.

“He’s a bit cocky…… but he’s handsome. I like those type of guys.” She responded.

“I was talking about the deal….”

“Ohhh, yeah, I think it’s going to take long. He’s also in talks with ProHomes. And you know what? It seems like he’s considering them more than us! Damn you Park Jiyeon! I won’t lose to you again.” Yoona murmured to herself.

--

 

After having his dinner, Myungsoo went to loosen himself up by drinking alcohol. He ordered a bottle of soju and some pork cutlet. By himself, he started to enjoy the meat and drink the alcohol little by little.

He was about to get his second bottle when randomly, a woman’s voice disturbed the place.

“Heyyyyy! Soju hereeeee, sojuuuu!!”

Gladly, Myungsoo was still sober and he recognized the woman from the corner.

“Why won’t you give me sojuuuu?! Soju!!” she yelled at the shop owner.

“Maam, you’re already very drunk….. please calm down and don’t make a ruckus.” The owner told her.

It was Jiyeon, and she was all by herself.

Myungsoo walked towards her and talked to the shop owner, “I’m sorry… I’ll be taking her.”

“Do you know this woman?” the owner replied, hesitating to trust Myungsoo. He looked at him from head to toe and decided to trust him only when he saw that he was wearing decent clothes.

“I know her.” Myungsoo told him.

“Alright, take her. She had four bottles of soju already. She is so drunk.”

Myungsoo took off his suit and used it to cover Jiyeon who was only wearing a sleeveless dress. “Let’s go home,” he told her who was now unable to properly open her eyes.

He let her in the front seat of his car and fastened the seatbelt for her. He smelled the reek of alcohol from when he tried to make her comfortable.

He drove carefully through the highway while occasionally glancing at Jiyeon who had her head wobble from left to right as she was sleeping. When he reached a red light, he laid her head on the back rest of the seat.

Finally, he reached her house. He unfastened her seatbelt and carried her like a princess, carefully tucking her in to prevent the cold air from dampening her skin.

When they entered the house, he fumbled for the light switch and turned the lights on. “Where’s your room?” he tried asking her, but it was impossible to get an answer from a very drunk person like her. Myungsoo had no choice but to guess.

He saw a door and he opened it. When he flicked the light switch on, it looked very neat and a hairdresser with bottles of perfume was in the corner. He figured out that he might be inside Jiyeon’s room already.

Carefully, he laid her down on the bed. He sighed and wiped his forehead which was dripping with sweat. He looked at her and went out to look for the bathroom. He passed by the huge living room and felt nostalgic about the time he was once sitting in that maroon couch. He shook off those negative thoughts away and grabbed a basin and filled it with water. He found a clean cloth and brought it also to Jiyeon’s bedroom, together with the basin.

He rolled his sleeves before soaking the cloth in the water and wringing it out. He then dampened the cloth on Jiyeon’s arms and face. He avoided looking at her face but he can’t help but do so.

His hands started to move to caress her hair, but he withdrew them and became contented with just seeing her up close. His heart started to flutter when he realized how Jiyeon became so much prettier than she was from the first time they met.

“Twelve years….” All of a sudden, Jiyeon murmured softly.

Myungsoo held his breath and wanted to tell her so many things. “Twelve years and nothing changed….” He tried hard to control his emotions, “It looks like I did but….. I didn’t change, Jiyeon.”

Once again, Myungsoo stared at her for longer than a minute and then he went out of the room. For the second time, he has entered this house and he wondered if destiny would let him in again. But for the meantime, he has to go home.

He turned off the lights and made sure to lock the door before driving back to his hotel.

 

 

A/N: They say no matter how hard we try, we can’t cheat our emotions. Myungsoo tried hard but it looks like he still cares for Jiyeon. Will love outweigh his plan for revenge? Please stay tuned! I am also getting excited even though I’m the one writing this hahaha Comments, subscribers and upvotes= keep them coming! <3