Chapter 11

Worlds Apart

11

“Let’s get married.” Jiyeon said.

Sehun was surprised hearing that. He couldn’t believe it was happening and how Jiyeon agreed to it. “Can you say that again?”

“Let’s get married.” Jiyeon repeated and weakly smiled.

Sehun almost jumped out of excitement and his smile went from ear to ear. He hugged her tight as if never wanting her to let go. “I love you.” He said with trace of happiness and joy in his voice.

Jiyeon hugged him too but her expression is the complete opposite of Sehun’s. She wondered why she was not comfortable with the idea of marrying him. But she forced herself to smile and to accept that perhaps they are meant to be with each other, for the sake of Sehun’s undying love for her.

“I have to let my family know about this good news. I’m sure they will be happy too.” Sehun let go of Jiyeon and once again, he gave off a wide smile.

Jiyeon had nothing to say but smile and pretend that everything’s going smooth and alright. She watched Sehun as he giddily walked out of the room.

When she was left alone, she began to think of her father. And without further hesitation, she changed her clothes and drove to the hospital.

 

She arrived in the hospital with a lot going on her mind. Slowly, she walked through the hallway until she reached the room where her father is currently in.

The guards recognized her immediately and opened the door to let her in.

Jiyeon stood up beside her father who has been unable to wake up for two years. It was as though his life was only supported by the oxygen tank.

Dad, wake up now. Aren’t you happy? I’m going to marry a rich man’s son.

You know Sehun right? He’s smart, brilliant, decent, and has a nice family background. I decided to marry him.

Jiyeon talked to herself. She started with a cheerful disposition but eventually, she started to get emotional.

But dad, I’m not happy. I decided to marry him but I cannot even look at him straight in the eyes and tell him I love him.

There is someone else in my heart.

Jiyeon held her father’s hand and gave up the tears.

I wonder how things would be if……… you accepted Myungsoo,

If you saw him as a man I love and not as a man in a lowly class,

If you weren’t so particular about being rich,

If you gave me the chance to choose,

Would I be suffering today?

Jiyeon wiped her tears and smiled.

But dad, Myungsoo is different now. He’s become the person you wanted for me.

That’s why you need to wake up; regret and take back the things you said.

 

 

After being emotional, Jiyeon got out of the hospital without a trace of crying. She felt good that she was able to let her feelings out even by just talking to herself. She made a hasty decision and she didn’t want to regret it.

She had her dinner alone in a fine restaurant and then she drove and stopped by a coffee shop near her house in Anyang.

She enjoyed her coffee leisurely when in a coincidence, Myungsoo showed up.

Myungsoo noticed the gloomy atmosphere as he sat down across her. “Why do you look like someone who lost billions of money?” he said and drank his coffee. “Did you break up with Sehun?”

Jiyeon just stared at him and carefully paid attention to his handsome face.

“What? Why are you looking at me like that?” Myungsoo asked.

All of a sudden, Jiyeon touched Myungsoo’s face as if it was a precious thing. Her eyes started to become wet.

“I’m sorry.” She said.

Myungsoo didn’t see that coming and he was troubled by what she told him. He put her hands away in a gentle manner and asked, “Why are you crying? The people here might say I made you cry.”

“I’m sorry.” Jiyeon repeated. She held his hand and looked very apologetic.

Myungsoo couldn’t clearly comprehend the situation.

“I know. It’s my fault. I was too much of a coward. I should have stayed with you when father denied you.” Jiyeon muttered.

Myungsoo stayed quiet and just listened without looking at her.

“I’m sorry… I can say that countlessly until I die…” she wiped her tears and stood up. She didn’t say goodbye and just left Myungsoo.

Myungsoo seems to be struck with her words that he decided to stay and fight the urge to follow after her.

--

 

Morning came and Jiyeon stayed the same. She carried with her this gloomy aura that seems evident to some people.

When she was all ready to go to work, she paused right in front of her house. She closed her eyes and felt the warm air on her skin. She breathed in deeply and relaxed her mind hoping that other than the sound of the wind and the birds, she could also hear Myungsoo’s voice yelling ‘newspaper!’.

But just as she thought, she may never hear him again saying that.

 

She entered her company’s building trying to coat the uneasy feeling. She convinced herself that it was all right; there was nothing to worry about because she made a good decision. But still, she can’t help but feel uncomfortable thinking about getting married with Sehun.

She tossed aside the pretention of being happy the moment she entered her office. Every little thing bothered her and the presence of Seo Ki Joon inside her office gave her quite a surprise.

“What brings you here, uncle?” Jiyeon asked. Ki Joon isn’t blood related to her but they are so close to each other that whenever they’re alone, Jiyeon calls him ‘uncle’. He started as her butler and displayed forty years of loyalty to Jiyeon and her father.

“I thought it would be best to hold a meeting about attracting new investors.” He said. “But I think Sehun is running late.”

Jiyeon sat down and did not care to respond. She stared blankly and deeply sighed.

Ki Joon noticed her being down and asked like a father, “Is there something wrong?”

“I’m getting married with Sehun.” Jiyeon unconsciously said her thoughts aloud.

The room became silent for a couple of minutes before Ki Joon realized that something was indeed wrong. He heard Jiyeon say what is supposed to be good news, but her look expressed remorse.

“And you’re not happy….” He muttered softly.

“Does that make me a bad person, uncle?” Jiyeon remained blank.

Ki Joon smiled and continued, “I remember that time when you walked home from school with that kid. Your personal guard and I thought that he’s dangerous so we walked a yard behind you. I observed how you were when you are with him and ever since, I guessed that both of you will have a hard time. Your father was very strict and he wanted a rich son for you. You longed for that kid every day and every time I get you from the school, you would spend minutes waiting for him to show up.”

Jiyeon looked at him as if she was transported back to the past.

“Sehun was your friend.  A rich man’s son—perfect for you. Your father liked him and from then on, you spent countless of days with him. And now you’re marrying him…. but you’re not happy.”

The first tears fell upon the end of that sentence.

“You’re not happy because you never loved him. There is someone in your heart, and that’s not Sehun.” Ki Joon said and held Jiyeon’s hand. “No, you’re not a bad person Jiyeon. But you can become one if you try to cheat your feelings.”

Ki Joon stood up and left Jiyeon to give her some time alone.

--

 

In the afternoon, right after lunch time, Yoona paid a visit to ProHomes. She knocked on Jiyeon’s office and she heard a voice telling her to come in.

Jiyeon wore a wide smile with no trace of sorrow from just a few hours back.

“You are…?” Jiyeon asked.

“Yoona, President of New Era Infrastructure.” Yoona replied and gave a cunning smile.

Jiyeon remembered her from the Busan trip and she recognized the name of her company.

“Rumors are spreading that ProHomes is going down.” Yoona said as she sat down and examined the place.

Jiyeon tried to keep herself at bay and politely replied, “Rumors are just rumors.”

Yoona smirked. “I heard you lost the investor who was supposed to save you. Well, that’s because he’s with us.”

Jiyeon recalled that Myungsoo was indeed in talks with Yoona’s company. “So what? It’s not like he’s the only one who can save my company. Besides, I’m—“

“Oh, is there anyone else? I guess there’s no one…. Except if you get married to a rich man’s heir.”

“I’m getting married with Sehun, the sole heir of SKJ Housings.” Jiyeon firmly stated.

This time, Yoona was baffled. “You’re kidding right?”

“I’m really getting married with him.” Jiyeon counterattacked.

Yoona looked confused but later found a hole for Jiyeon. “I thought you had something with Matthew. You even shared the same hotel room, right?” Yoona smirked.

Just then, Sehun came in the room. Jiyeon was too much in a loss of words to answer Yoona.

“Oh, Sehun is here. Does he know?” Yoona never stopped teasing Jiyeon.

Jiyeon became nervous as hell.

“What? What is it?” Sehun spoke.

Jiyeon’s eyes were shaking as she looked at Yoona as if begging her to stop. Yoona was quick to get it and changed the topic since she was victorious in teasing her.

“Let’s just put it at that. Matthew is ours so don’t even bother to take him back.” Yoona said and walked to the door. But before going out, she smiled and added, “Congratulations on your wedding.”

“What was that?” Sehun asked and chuckled.

“Don’t mind her.” Jiyeon smiled. “Why are you here? Do you need something?”

“Ah, no. I just want to ask when you will go home tonight. I thought maybe we can drive home together.” Sehun cheekily said.

“Hmmm, I think I’ll be out early. As early as 6:00, I guess?”

“Okay. See you.” Sehun replied and walked out of the room carrying this happy aura.

--

 

Jiyeon organized the last stack of papers and then got ready to go home. She picked up her things, turned off the lights and headed out of the office.

When she reached the lobby, she wondered why it was dark and empty. It was still quarter past five but the place already looks deserted. Maybe everyone left early, she thought.

One by one, she took small steps across the lobby. When she was in the middle, the lights suddenly . Jiyeon paused and was bewitched.

Seconds after, music started to play from the speakers. Jiyeon still looked puzzled.

One of the lights pointed to a huge white wall, and then the projector worked its way to show a slideshow of pictures. Jiyeon, who was now in spotlight, looked at the wall.

The pictures shown were that of her and Sehun, from their childhood days to the days they became adults.

Jiyeon was too confused to tell what exactly is happening, and the moment Sehun appeared with a wide smile, she realized.

Then the lobby which was previously empty became filled with people—staff who were sabotaged by Sehun to stay quiet and hide. Just then, Myungsoo entered the building without a hunch of what was going on. All he knew was that there was a huge crowd and something is clearly happening.

“I figured that I have to do this.” Sehun said as he stood in front of Jiyeon. “The pictures were not enough to describe how much time we had spent with each other, but I just want you to know that I love you…”

Sehun held Jiyeon’s face before kneeling down and pulling out a ring, “Jiyeon, will you marry me?”

Everybody cheered and it became incomprehensible to hear since the crowd went wild. They jumped in excitement but Jiyeon was overcome with tears.

Opposite to the usual, Jiyeon’s tears were not of those tears of joy.

Jiyeon cried because all she can see was Myungsoo’s face.

All she can see was Myungsoo kneeling down and offering her a ring.

She cried because guilt conquered her.

She felt very apologetic to Sehun for trying to cheat on her feelings.

She cried because Sehun was always there for her, but no matter how much she tried to love him, she just couldn’t.

Jiyeon held Sehun’s hand and let him stand. Everyone quieted to hear that fulfilling ‘yes’ from her.

 

“I’m sorry, Sehun. I’m sorry…..” Jiyeon sobbed. She left him in the middle and ran out of the building. The crowd also became flustered when a man was dodging each person to get out of the building too.

It was Myungsoo, and he ran after her.

 

A/N: Is it too late now to say sorry?- says Justin Bieber. Well, I just hope Jiyeon made the right choice of changing her mind. Better stay tuned to get more intense and lovey-dovey scenes! Comment down your thoughts!