Chapter 10

Worlds Apart

10

Jiyeon barely dragged her feet back to the conference room. It was full of people blabbering and some persons are just mindblown about the refusal of Matthew’s investment. The Directors started to panic and began to question Jiyeon’s ability in handling matters like acquiring funds.

“Jiyeon, I thought everything was going smooth… Why has it become like this?” The Director of Finance muttered.

“You know we can’t drag this too long…. If we don’t get funds by the end of the month, we’ll close down.” Another man said.

Jiyeon became speechless as she tried to make the happenings sink in her mind.

“Don’t tell me you don’t have plan B?” The biggest shareholder blurted out, making everyone look at Jiyeon who seem to have lost herself.

Sehun came to her rescue and was about to say something but Jiyeon spoke, “No, the company is not closing down. I won’t let that happen so please, give me your trust on this matter. I will talk with Mr. Kim again.”

Upon saying that, the people calmed down but still, doubt was evident in their faces. This was when Sehun took the chance to speak. “Let’s not stress ourselves too much, okay? I’m sure there will be a way. Meeting is over.”

The people packed up their things and one by one without a word, they left the room. In just a moment, the room became quiet except for the breathing of Jiyeon and Sehun who remained.

“I can do it. I can save the company.” Jiyeon talked to herself while she leaned on the table. “I just have to schedule another meeting with him and it will be all right.” She forced a smile.

Sehun walked to her and tapped her shoulders. “Maybe Mr. Kim is not for us….” He said in a soft voice, attempting to calm Jiyeon. He quite succeeded and Jiyeon hugged him tight. “We have more than ten days to find another investor. Let’s give up on him and find someone better.”

Jiyeon remembered Myungsoo saying, ‘You can’t have two men in your life’ and so she ceased to hug Sehun. The condition was very simple, she thought; Choose Myungsoo and your company will be saved. She stared at Sehun and wanted to tell him that there’s no one better than Myungsoo. But as much as she wanted to shake Sehun off and throw him away, she can’t do it because all the times they spent together seems to be eating her conscience.

Sehun’s calm face looked at her, and he can’t seem to read what she was thinking.

Jiyeon dismissed the idea of choosing Myungsoo and instead spoke, “Let me try to talk to him again. This will be the last time.” She picked up her things and left.

 

On the way out of the building, Jiyeon came across Seo Ki Joon. She asked if he knew Myungsoo’s hotel and fortunately, he does. Jiyeon begged to have it and took the taxi to the said address.

 

Myungsoo has just arrived in his hotel room. He took off his suit and loosened his tie. He stood facing the huge window with the busy highways and as the sun slowly set, city lights brightened up the place. But for Myungsoo, it doesn’t seem to be the case. He carried out his revenge perfectly, by refusing investment which almost made ProHomes fall down, but he is not enlightened by it.

Just then, a knock came to his door. When he opened it, he was surprised to see Jiyeon standing. He didn’t know how to feel, be happy that she’s here, or be guilty because her face doesn’t look so great. Anyway, he let her in.

“Did you make up your mind already?” he asked her.

Instead of answering him directly, Jiyeon sat down on the couch and placed a stack of paper on the table. “These are data and reports that prove we are more than qualified for your funds. I don’t know about the other companies you’ve talked about but can you take a look at this before withdrawing the deal?”

Myungsoo just laughed, but deep inside, he wanted to congratulate Jiyeon for not giving up. That is what he was looking forward to.

He sat beside her and lifted up his face, as if trying to kiss her. Their faces were so close and when Jiyeon thought he was going to kiss her, Myungsoo whispered to her ear. “Sehun is a great man. I respect him as a businessman and as your boyfriend. I don’t want him to hate me because I pick on his girlfriend, just like this…” Myungsoo teased Jiyeon by bringing up his lips very near to hers.

Jiyeon barely held back the urge to kiss him and avoided his intense gaze. “You’re making it so hard for me…”

Myungsoo stood up and said, “I will look at those data,” he pointed the papers on top of the table. “come back if you made up your mind. I don’t know what might happen to us when that time comes.” He grinned as he watched a shy Jiyeon walk out of the room.

--

 

The next day, Myungsoo drove his car to pick up Kyungsoo from the university. Kyungsoo agreed to come with him today to visit a company.

“Are you ready?” Myungsoo asked the moment Kyungsoo got in the car.

“Yes, I’m ready to take a look at how your world works hyung.” Kyungsoo replied.

 

In less than thirty minutes, they arrived in front of a tall, glass building. Kyungsoo got out of the car and lifted up his head to read the huge sign on top of the building that read, ‘NEW ERA’. He fixed up his sleeves and followed the footsteps of Myungsoo.

Kyungsoo kept his head down when he entered the lobby. He got goosebumps being in such a fine, rich, and classy place. He’s never been to one so he can’t lift up his head. When Myungsoo stopped his tracks, he did too.

“It’s nice to see you again.” Myungsoo said as they were welcomed by Yoona and her staff.

“Thank you for coming.” Yoona smiled and noticed the man who came with Myungsoo. “Is this your secretary? He looks young…”

“Ah, no. My secretary has something to do. This is Kyungsoo, he is soon to be a lawyer and I’m just letting him practice in the field of business.” Myungsoo replied; Kyungsoo bowed down without looking at them.

“Ohh. By the way, this is my executive staff. And this,” Yoona referred to the woman who was standing beside her. “is my sister, Tzuyu. She’s still attending university but she has been reserved a position in the company.”

Tzuyu bowed down and Myungsoo recognized her. At this time, Kyungsoo also managed to lift up his head. He met her eyes and was surprised, if not embarrassed. Myungsoo looked at him intruigingly.

“Let’s go and look at the place.” Yoona offered and they embarked.

 

The rest may not feel it but Kyungsoo and Tzuyu felt the awkwardness between them whenever it gets too crowded in the elevator and they almost touched. The both of them tried to avoid each other’s eyes but at some point, one of them will steal a glance at the other.

Finally, they were given some time alone when Myungsoo went in to a meeting with Yoona and the rest of the staff.

“I see you in the school,” Tzuyu spoke when they were left standing outside the conference room.

“O-oh? Yeah…You’re a fine arts major right?” Kyungsoo replied.

She nodded and they became quiet again.

“Interested in business?” This time, Kyungsoo spoke.

“No, not really. Just forced into this thing because of my sister who has high hopes of me.” she pouted.

“Don’t you like it? You are going to make lots of money in business.”

“I’d like to make money by selling my paintings.” She chuckled. “By the way, whose household son are you?”

Kyungsoo fell silent; he knew this would be the perfect timing to get rejected.

“I’m sorry. Was it harsh to ask?” Tzuyu added.

Kyungsoo just smiled and said, “No, no. It’s okay. But even if I tell you who my parents are, you won’t know them because they are not in the field of business.”

Tzuyu sighed. “I envy you. How I wish I wasn’t born in this field too.”

Kyungsoo didn’t think he’d hear that from a rich man’s daughter. Maybe he does have a chance. Maybe the heavens pitied him and gave him this kind of girl. Kyungsoo thought.

At that time, the meeting ended. Both parties gave their goodbyes and as Kyungsoo and Myungsoo walked out of the building, Kyungsoo snatched a glance at Tzuyu and smiled at her.

 

“I see the look in your eyes and it says that you really like her.” Myungsoo muttered when they got inside the car.

“Hyung, I want to get to know her more.” Kyungsoo replied excitedly. Myungsoo just smiled and recalled how he once said that to himself when he first had a conversation with Jiyeon.

--

 

Sehun’s car stopped right in front of Jiyeon’s house. He got out of the car and went inside only to find out the house being gloomy.

Jiyeon was not in the living room, neither in the kitchen. He entered her room and found her there lying down, with eyes open and staring blankly at the ceiling.

“You didn’t go to work today so I thought you were here crafting a plan to get new investors.” Sehun muttered. “Are you okay? Did you eat?” He added and sat on the bedside.

“I was thinking about how to get him back…” Jiyeon said.

“Who? Matthew?”

“Help me think Sehun…” she continued.

This time, Sehun stood up. “Why do you think that it’s only him who can save the company?” He said it in a tone Jiyeon never heard before. It wasn’t a soft one, but more like an angry tone.

To her surprise, Jiyeon got up and sat on the bed. “Because no one else can—“

“I can save the company too.” Sehun told her.

“Your shares aren’t even enough to buy the company.” Jiyeon responded.

“I can save the company if we get married.” Sehun said.

Jiyeon paused and made sure if what she heard was right. “What?—“

“If we get married, we’ll make a merger between ProHomes and SKJ Housings. We will become one and by that time, we won’t be worried about looking for investors because as a big company, investors will come looking for us.” Sehun explained and looked at Jiyeon who was baffled.

Jiyeon seemed to be considering the idea. And maybe because she hated Myungsoo for giving her a hard time, and because the company needed it the most, she made a quick, irrational decision.

 

“Let’s get married.” She said.

 

A/N: Will Jiyeon really choose Sehun just like this? Has she given up her love for Myungsoo? Don’t miss out on the next chapters! We might never know what’s going to happen. : ) Comments are still loved, and why don’t you give upvotes too? : *