Chapter 16

Worlds Apart

16

“Myungsoo,” Jiyeon softly called out to Myungsoo as she grabbed his hand.

Myungsoo turned to look at her and was undoubtedly surprised to see her around the place. It took him a couple of seconds to understand the situation and ask Jiyeon something he was curious about, “What—what are you doing here?”

He held her face and stared at her from head to toe to check if she was real and not just one of his dreams. Jiyeon answered him with a hug that exemplifies a lot of emotions.

The cameras endlessly clicked and captured the two of them in that moment. Myungsoo belatedly realized this, so he initiatively covered Jiyeon’s face with his hand and together, they walked away from the crowd.

When they got inside the car, the media men followed them and continued to take pictures even from outside of the tinted glass windows. This was big news, especially since Myungsoo was known to be a career man who never had a woman in his life.

While Myungoo gets a little flustered in the back seat along with Jiyeon, Secretary Ahn was the only one who was not surprised by the happenings. He was the one who suggested the idea of coming here anyway.

“That was fast, Jiyeon. Did you want to see him badly?” Secretary Ahn muttered.

Upon hearing that, Myungsoo looked at Jiyeon, and then to his secretary who seems to be giving subtle hints at what was happening.

“What is this? What are you two talking about?” Myungsoo asked.

“That’s not important. You know what, this question has been bugging me for days already. Why did you disappear? I mean—why did you have to leave like that?” Jiyeon asked.

As Secretary Ahn drove the streets of New York, Myungsoo looked away from Jiyeon to avoid giving an answer.

“Fine. If you don’t want to answer that, let’s just put it as if you lacked the time to tell me the sudden urge to leave, because you’re a busy man.” Jiyeon moved closer to Myungsoo, and she rested her head on his shoulders. “All that matters is I’m here, and we’re together.” She whispered to herself.

Myungsoo heard her, and he even heard the extreme longing that Jiyeon had inside of her. But he remained unentertaining, and his feelings stayed unclear. His heart beat rapidly, but he refused to listen to it because of some reason.

After a couple of minutes, the car stopped by a familiar place.

“Why are we here Secretary Ahn? Aren’t you supposed to drop by a hotel for Jiyeon to stay?” Myungsoo blurted.

The secretary gave a grin and replied, “That’s why. She didn’t tell me that she was coming so I wasn’t able to get her a hotel room. I think your house needs a guest, so why not?”

Jiyeon stiffened up as the secretary winked at her through the rear mirror. She wasn’t sure to gladly accept the idea or not.

On the other hand, Myungsoo completely didn’t see it coming. He felt betrayed by his own. “Well I’m sure the hotels aren’t full so we can just book a room—“

He wasn’t even done talking when the two got out of the car and started unloading Jiyeon’s baggage. They were clearly on the same side.

Myungsoo was left inside the car and because no one was there to look at him, he smiled to himself. Jiyeon being here still won’t sink in to his mind, but somehow, he felt happy that she came for him.

So he came out with these little grins and helped to unload the bags.

 

Now they were left alone, as Secretary Ahn drove away somewhere.

Myungsoo’s house was a duplex apartment and in spite of his wealth status, the house looked very simple yet comfy.

It was the opposite of how the usual bachelors live which are described as messy or chaotic. Myungsoo’s house was sparkling clean and everything was in the right place. Maybe because he rarely stays here since he always travels for business deals.

The two of them fell silent in the living room. They shared a room before but this was different. They are under the same roof, and it was Myungsoo’s territory to begin with.

“If you think it’s awkward I can book a hotel room for you,” Myungsoo opened up.

Jiyeon shook her head. “ No, no. It’s okay. I’ll sleep here, this couch looks very comfortable.” She added, referring to the sofa that she was sitting on.

“Why are you here?” Myungsoo asked her out of nowhere. “I mean, I don’t understand why you came.”

Jiyeon stood up and walked to Myungsoo, “I came for you. Because I couldn’t stand a day without knowing how you are, or where you are. It’s unfair because you were always the one who came to me; I just figured out it should be my turn now.”

“But you can’t stay here forever….” Myungsoo replied and walked away. “Your life is in Korea. You have your company, and your father who just woke up. They need you….”

What Myungsoo said hit Jiyeon, and it precisely struck her heart and mind. Myungsoo was right and now she was just more confused.

“But I love you Myungsoo… How am I supposed to live without you?”

“Jiyeon, I don’t think we are—“ Myungsoo gasped and cut his own sentence. He looked at his watch and changed the topic, “I have somewhere to go to. You should take a rest.”

“I’m going with you.”

Myungsoo looked at her.

“I just want to go with you. Just do whatever it is that you have to do, I’ll be far away. Besides, this is my first time in New York, I can’t let sightseeing be out of the to-do list.”

 

 

The sun slowly set the moment the two of them got out of the house. They walked in the busy dim-lit streets of the city and occasionally, they run to a crowd people.

Myungsoo recalled how Jiyeon was almost hit by a car when he left her behind so he made sure that Jiyeon walked ahead of her this time. But Jiyeon refused to walk ahead of him, and instead walked beside him.

They never talked, but as soon as they walked side by side, their hands touched against each other, sending little tingling sensations to one another.

Jiyeon took the first move, and held his hand. Myungsoo felt the warmth of her hand and how he wished he could bravely hold hers too. But he decided to shake her hands off, in the gentlest way possible.

Jiyeon was startled so she stopped her tracks and was left behind by Myungsoo who failed to notice.

Then suddenly, a bunch of guys who smelled of alcohol came to her, asking her things she didn’t comprehend.

“Hey yo chick, where are you at? Why are you standing alone there like some kid who lost her momma? You want to spend time with us?” One of them said.

“No, sorry.” Jiyeon responded and tried to walk past by them. She failed to do so because she was blocked by another man.

 “Eyyy, come on. Just come with us, we’re going to give you a good time.” The man started to touch Jiyeon’s face in a really creepy manner.

Jiyeon started to fidget and shook off the man’s hands.

“What’s up with you, ?” the man yelled and was about to hit her when Myungsoo came to her rescue.

Myungsoo hid Jiyeon behind him and spoke, “Wait up man. Sorry, the girl’s mine tonight. I don’t want to fight okay? I have a meeting so let’s make this quick.” He winked at the big man, grabbed Jiyeon’s hand and they ran off.

The guys were so wasted that they thought it would be a hassle to chase after them. They were just satisfied in cursing them as they ran away.

“!” One of them yelled.

“This isn’t Korea so don’t go walk by yourself.” Myungsoo gasped for air as he and Jiyeon stopped by the corner. “Come on, let’s go.”

Jiyeon looked horrified and partly blamed Myungsoo for what happened because he left her. She walked ahead but this time, Myungsoo caught up to her and walked beside.

 

 

They entered the classy bar which was the venue for Myungsoo’s meeting. Jiyeon situated herself on the bar counter while Myungsoo walked to the man whom he had business with.

The man was American, and he was surrounded by a couple of y girls in their lingeries. And even though Jiyeon was afar, she watched as those girls crowded on Myungsoo, touching him in certain parts.

Jiyeon has her blood boiling, so she ordered for a bottle of whiskey. She drank a glass because she was annoyed, and every time she glances at them, Myungsoo doesn’t seem to shake off those women, so Jiyeon just got madder.

From Jiyeon’s perspective, it looked like Myungsoo liked the presence of those racy girls, but that wasn’t the case. Myungsoo fidgeted when they touched him, and he became extra aware of what might Jiyeon feel.

Myungsoo occasionally glances at Jiyeon, to see if she’s drinking not more than what she could tolerate.

The time came when Myungsoo turned to look at Jiyeon, and found out that she was being approached by some guy. Jiyeon became a little tipsy and that’s when the guy tried to touch and hold her arms.

Myungsoo stood up all of a sudden, and went to take Jiyeon away from the guy who looked very drunk.

“Heyy man, what’s the problem?” the guy said.

“Yo buddy, I should ask you, what’s your problem? You don’t go touching people without their consent.” Myungsoo responded as he pulled Jiyeon towards him.

The guy shook his head in annoyance and peacefully walked off to another possible target.

Myungsoo assisted Jiyeon while he continued the meeting with the American. He shook off the racy girls as he let Jiyeon sit beside him, holding her hand tightly.

“She came with me but she’s already a bit drunk so, do you mind?” Myungsoo politely asked.

“No, it’s okay.” The American replied.

They stayed for more than thirty minutes, and Jiyeon eventually fell asleep on Myungsoo’s shoulders. During the whole time, Myungsoo never let go of Jiyeon’s hands because he did not want to see her being flirted by some other guys again.

When they finished, Myungsoo carried Jiyeon as he waited for Secretary Ahn to arrive with the car.

“What happened?” the secretary asked, as soon as Myungsoo carefully let Jiyeon inside the backseat.

“She got drunk….. again.” Myungsoo replied, as he got in and the car started moving.

“Myungsoo, why are you making it so hard for yourself?” Secretary Ahn asked. “I know you feel the same way for her, so why are you still pushing her away from you? Jiyeon is having a hard time too, and it just hurts the both of you.”

The elder’s wise words made a mark on Myungsoo’s mind, and so he fell into deep thought. “I don’t know, I don’t know…” He repeated as he looked at a worn-out Jiyeon sleeping beside him.

“Think about it… You can’t afford to make the wrong choice. She chose you, why can’t you?” the elder added.

 

 

Myungsoo laid Jiyeon on the bed, and gave her a quick sponge bath just to take away the tipsiness until she fell into complete slumber.

He stayed up all night, making up a strategic plan for the project he is going to start soon. Suddenly, he heard a phone ring, and it came from Jiyeon’s handbag.

Myungsoo searched for it, and found out that Jiyeon’s father was calling.

All the past that Myungsoo tried hard to forget came back as he stared at the caller ID on Jiyeon’s phone. At last, it was the time for him to talk with the man who humiliated him and ridiculed him for being a poor boy.

But amidst his rage, he was nervous to take the call. He’s still traumatized about hearing his voice, and he was at a loss of words to say.

But he ended up taking the call, answering it bravely.

“If you aren’t going to come back, I will be kicking you out of the company.” Jiyeon’s firm voice said.

Myungsoo just listened, afraid of talking back.

“What? Are you not going to answer me? What a useless child! I didn’t raise you to ignore me like this! Whatever you’re doing there, if it doesn’t concern taking back Sehun at all, come back this instant or else—“

“Ji—Jiyeon is sleeping, sir.” Myungsoo finally opened his mouth, but he stuttered.

“What? Wh—who is this?”

“I will make sure to send Jiyeon back to Korea, don’t worry—“ Myungsoo briefly responded, and hang up the call. He held the phone tightly in his hand, because after all that he’s been through and after all of his plans to take revenge is done, he’s still defeated by fear from just hearing his voice.

He secretly cried, as he looked at Jiyeon who was soundly sleeping.

 

“I don’t think that we’re meant for each other Jiyeon….” Myungsoo muttered. “I’m fine with just knowing that you’re doing well… I’m fine with seeing you after all the years that we did not.”

Myungsoo went to Jiyeon and touched the edge of her lovely, sleeping face.

 

“There’s just a lot of fear inside me….. I don’t think we can be together,”

 

 

A/N: How does Myungsoo’s fear turn intolove? Will he still be able to overcome his own struggles? Please stay tuned for the next update!