Chapter 1

Worlds Apart

1

Myungsoo rode his bicycle at 6:00 in the morning; stacks of newspaper filled the basket of his vehicle. He toured the village, tossing newspapers to the households that paid for it. He stopped by a large house, most likely a mansion, and asked if the man sitting on the balcony wanted to purchase a newspaper.

“Give me the latest, boy.” The man replied.

Myungsoo took one from his basket and was about to toss it when he heard the man speak, “Jiyeon, stop what you’re doing there for a second and take it.”

Myungsoo looked around and noticed that there was a girl in the garden, watering the plants. She had a black, short hair, tall and lean looking and had a pale white complexion. As she went to Myungsoo, her face was struck by the new born sunlight and glittered. Myungsoo couldn’t comprehend what he was feeling the moment she muttered a word, “Here.” Myungsoo took the change from her hand and did not know what else to do. He was dazed by an angel’s appearance.

“The newspaper?” she asked. He had not yet given it to her.

“Oh, here.” As soon she took it, she smiled and Myungsoo swore he had never seen such a beautiful smile like it before.

When she had her back to him, Myungsoo came back to reality. He shook his head and ran his bike down the street.

 

When he reached his flat, he put on his one and only uniform and picked a notebook. He took a spare change from his coin purse and drove the bike again- this time to the town’s central school.

 

Myungsoo’s POV

The next morning, I followed my daily routine. The thought of the girl from yesterday had not left my mind, and I was a bit hoping to see her again today.

When I reached her house, I saw her again by the garden, doing the same thing. The house had a tall gate and surrounded by a couple of high, pointed metal grills as if the mansion was under tight security. She failed to notice me so I called her.

“Newspaper?”

This time, she looked at me and turned the water hose off. “I have to ask…. Can you wait?” She disappeared into the house and came back thereafter. “He wants one. The latest, please.”

As I took the newspaper, I asked her, “Do you read the news?”

“No. I’m not interested. Exchange rates, stock prices, business events, I don’t fancy them.”

“Well, that’s not all what there is to a paper. Perhaps you like the plants more?”

“You can put it that way.” She smiled.

Through the narrow space between the grills, I handed her the paper. She muttered a ‘thank you’ and disappeared back to the house. I smiled to myself and felt gratified with our small talk. I then rode the bike and went home.

It was my first time seeing her in the neighborhood. I’ve been a delivery boy for a couple of weeks already and maybe I paid less attention to that huge house that I skipped it almost everyday.

 

When school finished at 5:00, I found my bike in the parking lot. I planned to go straight home not until I saw a familiar person from across the street. Just a few yards away from my school, Anyang Integrated Laboratory School stood. Known for its expensive tuition fees and where rich daughters and sons go, I saw her come out, talking with some of her girl friends. I drove my bike to her direction, not even knowing what to say.

“Hey,” I told her, when she was about to get inside a black BMW car, escorted by a butler and a what looked like a personal guard. Her face beamed when she saw me, God knows if I was just overthinking.

“Hi, the newspaper boy right?” she told. A tall, hard man motioned to hold me by the arm but she said it was alright. “He’s a friend, it’s alright.” The man stepped back and I was relieved. I was more relieved when she said I was a ‘friend’.

“Where are you going by the way?” she asked.

“Oh, just finished school. About to go home, then I spotted you.” I smiled. The butler whispered something to her, but I’m certain it had something to do with me being a stranger and untrusted person.

But she said, “I’d like to walk home with a friend. Is that okay? Anyway, we’re both heading to the same direction.”

“Are you sure? I-“ I told her.

“Let’s just keep walking, Myungsoo.” I shivered when she spoke my name, momentarily forgetting I had my name engraved on my shirt.

 

“You never told me you were the daughter of that household.” I said as I dragged my bike to match up with her pace. Her personal guard was walking right behind us.

“You never asked. And besides, we haven’t talked much either.”

“Right. Don’t you think I’ve bad intention?”

“You seem harmless. And, good-looking for a newspaper boy.”

I felt my cheeks blush full. “I’ve never seen you around. What am I doing?”

“You don’t care to look at my house’s direction. I see you often, when you ride that bike of yours and get past my house.”

I guess I was a fool for not noticing an angel, I told myself. “I’m sorry then.”

“Where do you live by the way?”

“Just ahead yours. I’m alone, my father died years ago and mom left.”

She seemed surprised. “Sorry to hear that. Must’ve been hard for you.”

“Not really. I’m managing.”

We stopped in front of her house, with the guard and the car perfectly behind us.

“I’ll have to see you again then.”

“Thanks for today.” She replied with a smile.

--

 

Myungsoo had done this every day for almost a week and a half to Jiyeon. He became more energetic in delivering the newspapers by morning because he would be seeing her again. Their small talk from before became occasionally long, even though a fence of grills separated the two of them. During the afternoon, after class, they made it frequent to walk together back home. But still, Jiyeon’s personal guard walked a yard behind them. On a weekend, when Jiyeon would find a time to go out, they toured the town with Myungsoo driving the bicycle and Jiyeon sitting at the back. They discussed their hobbies and Myungsoo had especially given attention to Jiyeon’s love for gardening that he once gave her several picked flowers. To make everything short, in a week’s time they had known each other quite well and there is no denying that for each passing day, Myungsoo has developed deep feelings of affection for Jiyeon.

 

One afternoon, when Myungsoo was about to cross the street to see Jiyeon, he noticed that there was a different car parked in the same spot where her BMW car often stayed. It wasn’t the same butler, as well as the personal guard.

Jiyeon came out of the gate together with a brown-haired lad, and they were talking about something Myungsoo couldn’t understand. It turns out that the boy owned the red Hyundai Car and in a prince-like manner, he let Jiyeon inside the car. Myungsoo attempted to go near them, but he did not because he quite knew what the situation meant.

 

A/N: Chapter 1 is here! Comments, subscribers, upvotes are always appreciated! :))