Meeting Them

One Wish

“Jung Sori, will you go out with me?” Leo asked me the next morning as I made breakfast. The pancake slipped off my spatula as I turned around to face him. He still had bed hair and looked sleepy but his eyes were focused on me, expecting my answer.

“Leo, I—” I struggled to find the words to form my answer. He started over, wrapping a hand around my waist, his face buried in my neck. As I struggled to calm my pounding heart, my eyes suddenly opened to the bright sunlight and I woke up from my dream. Sighing, I looked down as I felt a strong pair of arms around my waist and saw that I had ended up on Leo's bed. My back was facing his chest and I could feel his steady heartbeat as well as his chest rising up and down as he breathed. His face was close to mine, where his breath tickled my neck as he slept on peacefully. As his grip on me tightened, I began to lose my breath.

“L-Leo, you’re grip’s a bit…”

He woke up at my words, seeing how I was out of breath and let go immediately. As I caught my breath, he apologized repeatedly. I shook my hands at him.

“No Leo, trust me, I’m fine, I’ve been through worse, no stop—”

He had taken my face into his hands, examining my face.

“Leo. I’m fine,” I stressed the last word as much as I could. He blinked before letting go.

“Sorry,” he said meekly. After we had gotten ready to go out again, all we could do was laugh about the morning incident.

“I forgot that you roll around everywhere,” he said as I laughed again.

“You’re quite strong when you sleep aren’t you?” I nudged him. We walked further down the street, where we could see some street performers with a crowd around them. We peeked through and saw a couple dancing to a fun beat, their moves coordinated and in sync. I immediately began moving my head to the beat and when they had finished, they took a bow, earning applause from the crowd.

“Is there anyone who would like to try? How about you miss? You seemed to be enjoying yourself back here,” the man came forwards towards me and Leo as the crowd parted for him. I took his hand, dragging Leo along with me as we came up front. After a quick lesson from the couple, we switched partners so I was with the man and Leo was with the woman. When the music started, we began dancing. As I spun around, I could see Leo, stiff as a board during the beginning but loosened up quickly as we danced. In the end, I ended up in Leo's arms as we all took a bow. The crowd dispersed as Leo and I began walking around once more.

“What shall we do today?” Leo asked. I spotted a playground and pointed.

“There!” I said as he looked.

“You’re such a kid Sori,” he said, letting me drag him over anyway. I sat down on the swing as he pushed me higher and higher.

“Catch me?” I asked him as he stood in front of me. He nodded and I let myself fly off the seat, landing safely in his arms. My face was centimeters away from his as we both stared into each other’s eyes. I blinked, recognizing the position we were in and struggled out of his arms.

“Nice catch Leo,” I said, patting his chest as I ran to another play structure. He followed me, watching over me closely like how a parent would. He joined my childish play after my relentless pleading for him to join me. After we played for a bit, we settled back on the swings again, silent. Then we heard voices and I stood up, spotting a group of guys around Leo's age running amok.

“Man, they’re loud,” I said. I grabbed onto Leo's hand. “We should get home, it’s almost dark.”

“Leo! We found you!” the guys all began to run over and I was knocked onto the ground as Leo was engulfed in hugs from the group of guys.

“Get off me—ow! Someone pulled my hair—” I could hear voices overlapping each other and stared as Leo managed to push all of them off, shaking dirt off his clothes as the rest of the unknown guys got up, laughing. We all stared at one another, Leo by my side, until I broke the silence.

“Who are you guys?”