That One Wish

One Wish

“Jung Sori?”

“Present,” I said, raising my hand. The teacher smiled in my direction.

“You did a wonderful job at last week’s competition.”

The whole class turned to stare at me and I shrugged. “The dance team contributed to most of it, all I did was do the solo stage.”

As the class continued, I stared out the window. I felt a tap on my shoulder and looked to find a note on my desk. I unfolded it, reading it quickly.

Practice today? Mingyu said he might come to watch!

I looked over at my friend, Chang Taemi, who was nodding her head and giving me two thumbs up. I sighed and nodded back. To be honest, I was tired of school, but dancing raised my spirits greatly. This was how I became friends with Taemi. She too had a passion for dancing and was co-captain of our dance group. I knew she had a crush on Mingyu but she never wanted to admit it to me. I glanced over at Kim Mingyu, who was doodling on his notebook as usual. He caught my eye, grinning as he showed me his latest creation, which was a stick figure wearing a pair of angel wings. I gave him a thumbs up before turning back to the window. I saw No Minwoo walking around campus, a group of fangirls behind him. As if he could sense me looking, he glanced up in my direction, giving me a smirk before walking off again. After class, Taemi came bouncing up to me.

“Last lesson of the day!” she squealed. She saw my tired face and grabbed my arm. Before she could say anything else, Minwoo walked up to us.

“What now Minwoo?” I sighed, looking at him. He only smiled before speaking.

“I’d like a few words with Sori here. Alone,” he said when he saw Taemi opening . I glanced at her, who had shut and was fuming, I could literally see smoke coming out of her ears as she glared at Minwoo.

“I’ll be fine. Go find Mingyu and meet up in the usual spot okay?” I told her and she nodded, leaving without another word. I saw her bump into Mingyu, who she dragged away with her. I turned to Minwoo and he grabbed my hand, dragging us away from the scene. We stopped in an empty hallway, where he turned to me.

“Now that we’re alone…” he began advancing towards me as I backed up. My back hit the door of an empty classroom. His face was centimeters away from mine, I could feel his breath on my face and struggled to reach for anything I could use against him, only finding the doorknob beneath my fingers. When we were nose to nose, I turned the doorknob, which was thankfully unlocked. I put my weight against it, making the door open and Minwoo lost his balance, falling over as I hopped over him.

“Sorry, maybe next time!” I said, running off to the dance studio. I caught my breath in the studio, where Taemi came up to me.

“What on earth happened to you Jung Sori? I knew he was up to no good,” she said, fuming again.

“No, I escaped thankfully,” I managed to get out before collapsing onto the cool floorboards. Mingyu came to sit next to me, patting my sweat off my forehead. I began my story, ending with how he fell.

“He tried it again?” Mingyu asked as Taemi roared with laughter.

“Well, it’s not like he succeeded each time did he? He was close this time though,” I said, standing up. “Practice time! Which song today?”

Taemi was already scrolling through her phone for a song. “Slow, fast, girly, tough? Choose something.”

“Mingyu, you pick,” I said and he walked over to Taemi, who shrunk as he leaned over her to choose a song.

“How about something girly?” he grinned at me as I rolled on the ground, already cringing. “Lovelyz Ah-Choo would be nice today wouldn’t it?”

“You’re trying to kill me aren’t you?” I said, standing up after doing a few warm ups on the floor. As the music started, I became as cheerful and cutesy as I could be, trying my best and shooting aegyo at Mingyu, who was dying of laughter on the floor. After the song, we tried a few more songs before leaving the studio in good spirits.

“Do I have to walk you home again?” Mingyu asked me and I shook my head.

“No Minwoo and I may live in the same apartment building and on the same floor but I’m a master at avoiding him. I’ll text you guys later!” I said, bouncing off towards my place. When I pressed the button for my floor, I felt a pair of arms snaking around my waist and backed up into the empty elevator as I stared up at Minwoo, his arms still around my waist.

“Well hello,” he said. “Fancy running into you here.”

“Get off me No Minwoo, I’m not interested,” I said coldly, shoving his hands off my waist. He persisted, his face next to mine.

“But I am,” he whispered into my ear. I shuddered.

“Go date one of your fangirls, I’m sure you’ll make them much happier than I ever will,” I said, moving away as the elevator door opened. I opened my door and locked it quickly, sighing as I dumped my bag onto the couch. After a hot shower, I brushed out my hair and walked out onto the balcony, where the cool air was. I leaned against the railings, stargazing. After a few minutes to let my hair dry completely, I got into bed, staring out my window. I saw a bright star falling and closed my eyes, making a wish.

I wish for someone to help me through my life. Someone I can lean on. Please.