Eye Contact

One Wish

I woke up the next morning, feeling lazy. But since it was the weekend, I decided to go out for a bit. I changed into a dress, putting on ballerina flats and throwing whatever I would need into a purse. I stepped out of my apartment, locking up securely and pressed the elevator button down. When I stepped into the lobby, Minwoo was sitting on one of the couches near the exit, messing around on his phone. Trying to avoid him at all costs, I ducked behind a counter, making my way towards the door. When he stood up and began walking somewhere, I dashed towards it, almost succeeding but his hand was quicker. He pulled me into his arms in one swoop and my face was crushed against his chest.

“Did you dress up for our date? How sweet,” he said, caressing my hair and I shook my head, getting out of his arms.

“’Date?’” I repeated. “Never.”

I started to walk off but he held onto my hand, refusing to let go even when he sat down.

“What do you want?” I asked finally after a million years of trying to loosen his grip.

“Dates of course,” he replied like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

A date,” I corrected him. “As in one.”

“Sori,” he stood up, his body close to mine, I was looking up at him. “You do happen to know I can get whatever I want right?”

“Then why me?” I asked, moving away from him. My hand was starting to hurt but he refused to let go. Knowing he’d rather sit here and hold onto my hand, I finally gave in. “Ugh, fine. Hurry up.”

He grinned, putting his arm around my waist but I shoved it off. “Okay, I’ve got a bubble of personal space around me and you keep popping it every day.”

“Still as feisty as ever. Maybe that’s why I like you so much,” he said, pinching my cheek. All I could do was give him a glare.

We walked with me keeping as much space between us as possible but he continued staying by my side.

“At least let me hold your hand so we don’t get separated,” he said, grabbing onto it anyway. Sighing, I let him drag me along the busy sidewalk until we reached a quiet café.

“Wow No Minwoo, I expected something much fancier with that money of yours,” I said, stalking in and sitting down. He sat in front of me.

“Just keeping it at your level,” he said and I rolled my eyes. After reading the menu and ordering something, I took out my phone, seeing a few missed calls from Mingyu and a lot of texts from Taemi. Minwoo grabbed it out of my hand before I could call Mingyu back.

“Hey!” I tried taking my phone back but he just put it into his own pocket.

“I’m your boyfriend,” he said.

“For the day,” I insisted. He shook his head.

“You agreed to a date though. You came out of your apartment dressed like this,” he gestured to my outfit.

“Can’t a girl dress the way she wants?” I huffed.

“You should cover up more,” he said, leaning forward. I rolled my eyes.

I should be the one to decide that. Phone. Now,” I said, staring at him until he handed it over. “You’re really sly aren’t you?”

I texted Mingyu and Taemi to come to the café but stay under cover.

Me: don’t ask any questions, hurry up!

I pocketed my phone, thanking the waitress for the food, and we ate. I saw Taemi and Mingyu coming towards the café. Since I had chosen a window table, they were able to see me and Minwoo. I couldn’t hold in my laughter when I saw Taemi's jaw drop and Mingyu had to drag her away.

“What is it?” Minwoo stopped eating. I shook my head.

“Just remembered something funny,” I said. We had finished eating and Mingyu and Taemi had managed to sneak in and sit right behind me when Minwoo had gone to the bathrooms.

“Alright, spill, what’s going on?” Taemi hissed.

“A forced date I had to agree to or he’d never let me go,” I said back. Taemi relayed the message.

“Mingyu says you should leave now. Oh no!” she turned back to her menu hastily as I recomposed myself when Minwoo came back.

“Ready to go?” he asked, holding out his hand.

“Uhh, where?” I was hesitant to go anywhere anymore with him.

“You’ll see,” he had grabbed my hand and I was out of my seat before I could say anything. I saw Mingyu and Taemi rushing to get out of their seats and turned to find a limo pulling up.

“Really?” I asked Minwoo in disbelief.

“Your feet might get tired. Plus it’s a bit far. Hop in,” he said, gently nudging me inside. He sat next to me, putting on my seatbelt for me as well. The limo pulled away from the curb and I sat with my arms crossed.

“Something wrong?” he asked as I gave him a glare.

“At least tell me where we’re going,” I said before turning my head away. He didn’t reply so we sat in silence until I felt the limo stop. I rushed to take off my seatbelt, getting out myself and staring at the huge building in front of me.

“Where are we?” I asked Minwoo, who was standing next to me. He led me inside, where I could see dozens of people practicing dances or singing their hearts out. I stopped outside a studio, where a guy was singing alone into the mic. He had a powerful voice and was soothing to listen to. I found myself staring at the back of his head and he turned around, making eye contact with me. Neither of us moved until Minwoo gently dragged me away.

“Hey Minwoo, I think I wanna leave now. My shoes are killing me,” I said after touring the huge building and having some fun with the friendly dancers. He nodded, taking us back downstairs and back into the limo, where I refused to lay my head on his shoulder when I said I was sleepy.

“I’ll sleep at home thanks,” I said. He walked me to my door, where I thanked him for today. “But don’t get into a habit of it. Leave me alone tomorrow.”

I shut the door on his face and threw off my shoes, changing into my pajamas. After a quick shower, I invited Taemi and Mingyu over. They arrived in minutes, Mingyu shaking his head at my wet hair. He blow dried it, brushing it out as well while I yelled out what had happened today. When he turned off the blow dryer, he shook his head again.

“But did you enjoy yourself?” he asked. I thought about it.

“Well spending half the day with him wasn’t that bad to be honest,” I said. “When he wasn’t being clingy and annoying, he was really nice. Would I do this again? Nah.”

After catching up with them, I sent them off with some homemade sweets, shutting the door behind them and going out to my balcony, where millions of stars glittered the sky.

“You know, I could’ve used a guardian angel today,” I said, talking to the sky. “Will you guys ever send me one? Or am I just putting my hopes up?”