Coffee

Everything Falls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The cafe shop door slams shut silently behind me, a small bang being the only sound. The delicious scent of coffee and biscuits wafts up my nose, making my stomach growl. I spot Yoongi’s mint green hair and roll my eyes, the colour is so bright that anyone could see him a mile away. Maybe that’s why he dyed his hair. His head is nodding to the music coming from his headphones, and he doesn’t notice me approach until I slide into the booth, directly across from him.

I sink into the leather seat and sigh, resting my head on my folded arms crossed on the table. Yoongi looks up, recognition in his eyes, and hums, before pausing his iPod and pulling his headphones out. His face is solemn, a look that always seems to leave me with a sad ache.

“Hey, Yoongi,” I greet him, tapping my fingers against the glass table. He eyes me warily and stifles a yawn, waving softly.

“Yo.” The greeting is short and causal, there’s a hint of exhaustion, more so than usual. And his eyes are darker, more dazed than what is normal for him. My eyebrows furrow in distress as I try to piece together whatever could have happened, but nothing comes to mind.

“What happened?” I ask, eyes peering into his coal-black ones. There’s hurt in his eyes and he looks like he’s on the brink of collapsing. He pushes his fringe away from his eyes, fingers clenching into fists. He regards me with a look of absolute tiredness and closes his eyes.

“Jimin,” he grumbles, eyes resting on the table, fingers playing with the napkin. He pulls the tissue to shreds and pokes it with his fingers, trying to calm himself. My heart speeds up at Jimin’s name and a terrible loneliness follows soon after.

I try to keep myself from sounding troubled and shaky when I ask him what happened with Jimin. He groans and leans back, shrugging at me with a small expression of disapproval.

“I-I don’t know what to do,” he runs a hand through his hair, frustration shining in his eyes. “Jimin’s been coming back to the apartment smelling like alcohol and… And there are bottles everywhere! I-I can’t stand this, he’s a grown man, he shouldn’t be drinking his problems away… I haven’t been getting sleep.”

My heart almost stops beating. He’s been drinking? Jimin never drinks, unless it’s for a party or special occasion. The only times he’s ever been really smashed is when something bad happens and he can’t cope. Dread fills my stomach and I feel like vomiting.

“When did it start…?” I inquire painfully, trying to keep a neutral look on my face. Yoongi’s eyes observe me and his mouth opens to elaborate, but then he pauses and takes another look at me. The hesitation stays for a few seconds, only dissipating once he realises that I’ve been waiting for his reply.

“I don’t know, three months, I think, ever since he came back from… Your old apartment.” His eyes widen as he pieces together the next revelation. “It started after you moved out!” He shouts, eyes wide and pained. I kick my shoes against the hard floorboards and avert my gaze, hiding the shame in my eyes from him.

“Something happened with you guys,” he says, stating it as if he should have guessed sooner. But I knew Yoongi like I knew the back of my hand. He didn’t get involved more than he should in other people’s affairs, and he sure as hell wouldn’t start now.

“Yes. Something happened,” I admit, surprised by my own admission.

“Fix it. Whatever happened, it’s ruining my life as well as his. I’m not saying you’re the one who instigated the problem, but you obviously ran from it by moving out,” Yoongi addresses. His words are like a slap to my face. That’s exactly what Jimin had told me, and then I proved him right by moving out. How much of a coward was I? I couldn’t use any excuses to back myself up, because in the end I still ran away from my problems. And those were all excuses.

Here I was, running with my tail between my legs, ruining everyone’s lives.

I shift uncomfortably in my seat and drop my gaze down, staring at the flowers printed onto the glass in white paint. I raise my head after some thought and meet his eyes, nodding. I had to fix this, no matter what.

He sighs in relief and closes his eyes, a lighter air around him after having the burden removed.

“How are things with Jin?” I question, taking the topic off me and onto Yoongi. His eyes darken considerably.

“He’s thinking of getting a girlfriend,” Yoongi confesses, a grim smile on his face. “I know I should be feeling happy, that he’ll finally be happy, but I can’t seem to feel glad for him…” I understood what Yoongi was talking about. He developed a crush on Kim Seokjin two years after they met, which was only a few months ago he had realised his attraction towards the older man. I lied to him about who I liked though, so he doesn’t know about my crush on Jimin.

“I wish I had enough courage to confess, maybe then I might have a chance with him before his heart is stolen by another person,” Yoongi discloses, huffing under his breath, frustrated at his own weakness.

I reach out and ruffle his hair, easing some of his tension.

“You do, you have the courage. You’re just scared, and that’s completely normal. Just- just take the chance before it’s too late.” I feel so stupid when I encourage Yoongi to confess his feelings. I can’t even face my own problems, all I do is try to kill the never ending pain. One day it’s gonna come back to haunt me, and I don’t think

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter