Restless

Everything Falls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I open my eyes tiredly when I hear footsteps racing downstairs, and the sound of the door cracking open. Raising my head in confusion, I scramble out of my bed and pull my jacket on, leaving the bed in a messy state. My mind is slow to process the voice drifting up the stairs, and when it finally catches up, I'm back in my room, hand against my heart. The low thudding under my fingers reminds me that I can't be seen.
I can still recognise the sound of my ex-roommates voice, normally soft and warm, now anxious and impatient. His words reach my ears, and I nibble on my lower lip with worry. Walking out of the room quietly, I reach the staircase and pause at the top, peeking down through the banisters. I catch a glimpse of Jimin's black hair and my fingers clench into the fabric on my shirt.
"I know he's there, Jungkook," Jimin insists loudly, eyes passing over the area where I'm hidden behind. I can imagine Jungkook's annoyed frown, exasperation seeping out of his words.
"Get lost, Jimin, he doesn't want to see you or even speak to you."
Lies. All of it lies. I want to see Jimin, and I want to speak to him and tell him that all of this would pass over. Eventually it'd get better and he could forget about it like it never happened.
My breathing fastens and I clutch onto the banister as if it were my lifeline. Jimin's voice gets louder and more snappish.
"Let me see him, he can tell me that himself." A loud sound startles me out of my thoughts and I peek down with bewilderment. My eyes take in the sight before me.
Jimin has Jungkook backed against a wall, his eyes sparked with anger. One hand is against the wall beside his head, trapping the younger between his arm. But Jungkook doesn't back down, all he does is push Jimin away and lay his heavy, disappointed stare against the back of Jimin's shirt.
"Get out. I don't want you near him," Jungkook says calmly, anger in his own eyes. Jimin stumbles for a moment and catches his balance, eyes softer than before, holding regret.
"J-Jungkook, I'm sorry," he stutters, guilt lacing his words. But Jungkook is already pushing him out, eyes cold and unforgiving.
"I just want to-," Jimin mumbles, but the rest of his words don't reach my ears because they've left the room.
I walk back to my room with shaky movements, sitting on the edge of the bed with trembling fingers, resting my head in the palm of my hands. I stare at the ground through my fingers, eyes following the dark shadows in the dark room, wondering if that had really happened.
Or maybe this was just some stupid dream and I'd wake up soon and realise that. Maybe when I woke up, I'd laugh off this dream and get on with life, forgetting about this stupid situation.
I sit there and replay the conversation in my head, reflecting back on Jimin's distressed state. The dark circles under his eyes could only be caused by loss of sleep, and the unkempt hair on his head only added to his disheveled, devastated look. I was sure that if I got closer, I would be able to see the chewed up fingernails on his right hand, a nervous habit that was his source of comfort.
He was a sight to see, and if that was what he looks like after only a week, I wonder what I looked like.
The door opens softly and I hear the quiet footsteps that belong to Jungkook.
"I'm awake," I whisper, pressing my fingers against the bridge of my nose, sighing to myself. The mattress shifts under me as Jungkook takes place on my right side, hand resting on my shoulder in a comforting manner. His fingers grip my shoulder lightly, tight enough to keep my still, but loose enough for me to leave if I wanted to.
"I'm guessing you heard that," Jungkook says, an eyebrow raising when he adds, "or saw that." I nod grimly and massage my forehead, feeling stress weigh me down.
"You still love him," Jungkook states bluntly, staring into my eyes with something similar to sympathy. I press my hand against my head, startled. Tearing my eyes away from his face because of fear of what my eyes would betray, I close them gently. "Tell me, why didn't you give him a chance?" He asks me, tone softer, a curious note in his voice. My words tumble out hastily, confusing him.
"Because- because he has Raesun, and he doesn't need me. He doesn't care about me the same way he cares about her, all I do is hurt him." Jungkook shakes his head adamantly and reaches across the space between us, taking my hand in his, squeezing softly.
"He cares about you, but you're not letting him," Jungkook says gently, rubbing circles on the back of my knuckles with ease. "You saw the way he acted." Jungkook's eyes flash in a show of anger, and his fingers squeeze around mine in a sad way.
"I've been ignoring him," I confess, ashamed at my childish actions. Jungkook snorts with  amusement, lightening the situation. I meet his eyes again and find myself startled at the pain hidde inside his dark eyes. They reflect mine in every way, and that scares me.
"You don't understand, you have to speak to him-"
"Speaking to him will achieve nothing besides more embarrassment on my half," I blurt, cutting him off. His fingers leave my grip and he pulls back, resting both of his palms face-down on the blanket. My fingers automatically slide

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter