Chapter 09

Not Now

Maybe it was because of tons of exams we had that I was worn out. Too much studying and constant pressure were exhausting and I didn't seem like myself. I couldn't relax for a single moment and that frustrated me even more.

It had been a month since I last saw Sehun. We were both busy with studying and didn't have time to hang out, but we kept texting each other. It was a short period of time, but we became friends. It was nice to text him. He was the only one, aside from my family, who could put a smile on my face.

 "Jangmi, I'm telling you for the tenth time, I'm not in love with Sehun!" I groaned over the phone. Jangmi was teasing me for the past weeks, without having any intention of giving me a break. When I told her everything that happened with Sehun, she began teasing me about being in love with him.

"Those are only words, Chaerin, only words. Now seriously, why don't you give him a chance? He's handsome, nice, he likes you, you like him. That's a jackpot."

I sighed, throwing a book on my bed. "I don't want a relationship now. And I don't like him. Good luck with Inorganic Chemistry."

"Good luck to you too."

I hung up and threw myself on the bed. My head hurt like hell and I didn't feel like studying at all. But I had to pass and I sighed, opening the book.
Not five minutes passed after I started studying when my phone buzzed. It was a text from Sehun.

Sehun: Do you have time to meet me?

The text sounded way too serious for him and I grew worried.

Me: Is something wrong?

He replied quickly.

Sehun: Just come out of that room. I bet you haven't left it in days

I pouted. He was right though. I haven't left the dorm for quite some time, being busy with studying. I looked out of the window and saw that it was raining and I immediately dismissed the idea of going out.

Me: But it's raining :(

Sehun: You have an umbrella

I rolled my eyes. When Sehun wanted something, there was no way you could stop him in getting it.

Me: I do :(

Sehun: That's great, because I don't...Now hurry up, I'm waiting from you in front of the dorm

"What?!" I yelled. That guy was insane! Going out in the rain without bringing an umbrella. I quickly got up and grabbed my hoodie from the chair. Sehun better get ready for a scolding when I see him.


I practically ran out of the dorm, only to find Sehun standing a few meters away holding an umbrella and giving me his eye smile. Taking a sharp breath, I stomped to him. I made sure that I was glaring at him, but he didn't budge.

"I thought you didn't have an umbrella. Why did you lie to me?"

"I wouldn't get you out of that room otherwise", he deadpanned, and I rolled my eyes.

"I have to study", I said. I hated to admit it, but I wanted to see him, to spend time with him. But the other side of me wanted to stay away, because I realised that I was dangerously close to falling for him.

"Not today. Today you are going to take a break. And I don't want to hear no."

After a few moments of silence, I looked up at him. "Alright. But where can we go when it's raining like this?"

In the corner of my eye I saw him smile. "You'll see."

 

We were walking for quite some time. The streets were unknown to me, although very pleasant looking.

"Sehun, where are we going?"

"It is a surprise. You'll see soon", he said with a smile.

And we did arrive soon, to a certain cafe that was owned by a Sehun's friend.

The cafe was quite big, but it was warm and comfortable. The music was nice and slow. Sehun and I took a seat and he kept looking around the cafe. We were the only guests at that moment.

"My friend owns this cafe. You will meet him, if he decides to show up", he said, still looking around. A big smile was plastered on his face when his friend approached us. He got up and hugged his friend, who greeted him cheerfully.

"Hyung, this is my friend Chaerin", Sehun introduced me and I bowed my head.

"Hi, I'm Luhan. Nice to meet you", he flashed me a smile. "I've heard quite a lot about you", he said and smirked at Sehun, who glared at him.

"So, what are you guys ordering?"

"I'll have the usual", Sehun said.

I scanned over the menu and ordered a cappucino.

"This is a very nice cafe", I said after Luhan left. 

"Yes. Luhan hyung designed everything. It's very comfortable."

I nodded. "His name is unusual. I've never heard of such a name."

Sehun laughed and my lips turned upwards into a smile. I kind of missed his laughter.

"Hyung is actually Chinese. He came to Korea to study four years ago. His parents bought him this cafe."

"His Korean is perfect. And he must be very rich", I said.

Sehun nodded. "He is rich."

"How come you know so many rich people? Baekhyun, Luhan, and I recently found out that Chanyeol's parents had a lot of money."

I could see panic in his eyes as he looked away from me. "That-that's just coincidence", he said almost in a whisper.

Luhan arrived with our orders and at that moment I realised that I forgot my wallet at the dorm. Before I managed to say anything, Sehun already took out his wallet and paid for both of us. Luhan smiled at us and left.

"Sehun, I forgot my wallet at the dorm. I'll pay you back next time."

He shook his head. "Chaerin, please. There's no need for paying me back. Besides, I'm the one who is taking your time, I need to repay you somehow."

I smiled, not wanting to fight his logic. "Okay. Now tell me, did you study for that exam you have in two days?"

He smiled innocently. "No, I didn't."

"Sehun! You're crazy! You have to study, that exam is important-"

"Calm down, I'm just kidding", he said with a smile and I glared at him not so subtly. "I did study. Why are you so worried?"

His question startled me. It took me a few moments to think what to reply. Why was I worried? 

"You told me that it was an important exam and that you must pass it. School is important, you know", I added awkwardy.

He nodded, his smile faltering a bit and I started feeling bad. I wanted him to smile brightly all the time.

I took a sip of my cappucino and its warmth was pleasant to my throat. Sehun and I were quiet for a few moments before I decided to speak.

"How is Jongin? Is he closed in his room, studying like me?" I joked and he smiled.

"I saw him this morning-" his phone beeped and he took it out of his pocket. At that moment I believe that Sehun wanted to die out of embarrassment. Because when he took out his phone, something fell out of his pocket. It was a . I gulped. Well, that was awkward.

Glancing at him, I saw that his face was as red as a tomato and he didn't dare to look at me. I coughed awkwardly and that probably shook him, because he picked the up in the speed of the light and put it back in his pocket. His hands seemed to be shaking.

"It's not mine! It's probably Jongin's, I gave him my hoodie a few days ago, he probably forgot about it. It's not mine, really. Trust me, I-it..."

I chuckled. "Sehun, it's okay. Even if it is yours, that's normal", I said, but I couldn't ignore the pain I felt when I thought of him being with another girl. 

"No!" he yelled, startling me and Luhan, who was behind the counter. "It's not mine", he said in a much quieter tone. "I don't have a girlfriend and I'm not sleeping around with random girls", he said, eyes pierced to his bubble tea.

"You don't have to explain anything to me", I said.

"But I want to...It's not mine, trust me. I'm not the kind of person you think I am." There was so much despair in his voice that I could not ignore.

"How do you know what I think of you?" I decided to dare him to speak more. Whenever we talked, I always felt like he was hiding something.

He cleared his throat and sipped his bubble tea. "You think that I'm someone who plays with girls, uses them, and you probably think that I want to do that to you too", he sighed. "I'm going to kill Jongin for this, I swear", he mumbled.

I gaped at him, not believing him. How did he come to that conclusion? 

"Sehun...where did you get that? If I thought you were like that, I wouldn't be here with you, I probably wouldn't talk to you."

He was still looking down and he looked like a scolded kid. "But-"

"Sehun, I have no reason to think of you like that. And don't kill Jongin, he did nothing wrong", I chuckled and he looked up at me, cheeks still covered with a blush.

"God, I'm so embarrassed", he burried his head in his hands and I laughed. He looked so cute like that.

"You have no reason to be", I assured him.

"Do you really believe me?" he asked. I saw the insecurity in his eyes, I saw a boy behind his adult appearance. I wanted to assure him that everything about him was great, that nothing was wrong with him. I was the problem, it was me who didn't know what to do. I was confused about my own feelings, I was the insecure one.

"I do. I believe you", was the only thing I could say.

That smile on his face was everything I needed at that moment.