Chapter 10

Not Now

"We passed!" Jangmi's voice rang through the hall. We were in front of one of the classrooms, where our professor posted the results on the board.

Relief washed over me when I saw that we had passed. Jangmi got an A+ and I got an A, and we were extremely happy.

"We have to celebrate this!" Jangmi said, jumping up and down and I had to calm her down.

"Who is celebrating?"

I turned in the direction of the voice and saw Jongdae and Minseok approaching us. "Jangmi wants to celebrate because we passed. Did you two pass?"

They both grinned. "I got an A and this guy here an A+", Jongdae pointed at Minseok. "What about you two?"

"I got an A+!" Jangmi almost screamed. "Chaerin got an A!"

"Really? I got an A, too!" Jongdae said. "Highfive!"

I raised my hand and we highfived enthusiastically. Minseok looked at both of us and grinned. "We should deffinitely celebrate", Minseok said.

"Yeah", Jongdae agreed with him, "we should go somewhere."

Jangmi immediately agreed with them and I had no choice but to follow them.

 

We went to the cafe where Minseok worked. He wasn't working that day, so he was sitting with us. Jangmi called Chanyeol and he joined us soon.
I kept talking to Jongdae. We were laughing about something so much that I didn't notice that someone else joined us. It was Youngji, Minseok's girlfriend. The mood at our table turned a bit awkward. Surrounded by two couples, I felt uncomfortable. I believe that Jongdae felt the same, because he started looking around.

I just begged that Jongdae didn't have a girlfriend, because if he invited her to come, I would lose my mind.

"Don't worry, I don't have a girlfriend to invite", he said quietly, so the others couldn't hear him.

I sighed in relief. "I know that this will sound bad, but I'm glad you don't have one. It would have been really awkward for me."

He grinned. "We both have friends", he said jokingly and both Jangmi and Minseok heard him. Minseok got up and smacked him on the head and Jangmi glared at him. I tried hard not to burst into laughter from their antics.

"You don't have a boyfriend to bring, do you?" he joked, and I shook my head rapidly. "What about that guy who was on one of our classes? Sehun, if I remember well?"

"He's just a friend", I sighed. Jongdae nodded slowly.

"Chaerin, where are you from?" he asked.

"I'm from Chuncheon."

"I knew it! Your accent is showing sometimes. It's not a bad thing though. I'm not from Seoul, too."

That surprised me. Jongdae had a perfect Seoul accent.

"I'm from Siheung. It's not too far away from Seoul. Do you go home often?"

"Well, not too often. Every two or three weeks." He nodded.

"You are going to be home during the summer?" he asked.

"Yes. For the next two months I'm going to be home", I said, and suddenly I remembered my family and  couldn't wait to see them.

"Two months?!" Jangmi exclaimed. "That's way too much. You are going to visit me sometimes, right?"

I smiled, promising that I'll visit her.

 

Two hours later, we were in front of the cafe, saying goodbyes. Youngji and Minseok left first.

"When are you leaving?" Jangmi asked.

"In two days", I answered. I noticed that Chanyeol kept looking around, as if he was looking for someone.

Jangmi pulled me into a hug. "I'll help you with the stuff. My parents will take you to the bus station."

I shook my head. "I'll take a taxi."

"No way! You will be going with us", she said, breaking the hug. "I'll talk to you later."

"I'll see you in two days, too", Chanyeol said, grinning at me.

The two left and I was standing in front of the cafe with Jongdae. I wondered why he hadn't left.

"Chaerin, I feel like I haven't thanked you enough for tutoring me English", he said.

"Come on, that was nothing. I was glad that I could help."

He took off his backpack and took something out. "This is a small gift. To thank you for tutoring me", he said shyly.

Utterly stunned, I took the box from his hand.

"Jangmi told me those were your favourite sweets."

I chuckled, seeing strawberry flavoured gummy candy. "Thank you. There was no need for this but-"

My voice was cut off when Jongdae pulled me into a hug. I froze from the shock, unable to move an inch. He patted my back and broke the hug.

"Thank you once again, Chaerin. I'll see you in two months", he smiled and left me standing there, completely shocked.

A few moments later, I came to my senses and started walking to the dorm. I kept replaying the scene with Jongdae in my head. What was that?! I couldn't understand him. He could have just thank me by giving me the sweets. Why the hug? Maybe he liked me. No, that was impossible. I knew that he had a crush on Jangmi ever since they first met. I know how disappointed he looked when he saw Chanyeol picking her up after classes. I don't think that he got over her that soon.

Looking at my phone, I saw that it was way past noon. I remembered that the results of Sehun's exam were probably out by now, so I decided to text him and ask about it.

Me : Are the results out? Did you pass? :)

I tucked the phone in my pocket and hurried to the dorm. I had a few more stuff to pack before moving out.
_________________________________________________________________________

It worried me that Sehun didn't reply to my text. He would usually reply a few minutes later, or an hour later if he was busy with something. Maybe his exam didn't go well. That was also possible, so I decided not to worry too much.

But I grew really worried the next day. There was still no reply from him. I was sitting with Jangmi and Chanyeol in her living room. They helped me to get the stuff out of the dorm and move them to her place. There had been a change of the plan. My parents were going to come pick me up from Jangmi's, together with my stuff. That meant I had to stay in Seoul for another day. Jangmi was more than deighted that I was going to stay at her place. She already prepared everything for a sleepover.

"I texted him yesterday, after we left the cafe, and he hasn't replied since then", I said. "Is he upset about something?"

Chanyeol cleared his throat. "Well, I would be upset if the girl I liked was hugged by someone else."

"What?!"

He shrugged. "What what? Sehun doesn't reply you because he saw Jongdae hugging you in front of the cafe, that's it."

I stared at him in shock, as if he just admitted to commiting a murder. "How?" 

"He wanted to see me and I told him that I was in the cafe. I guess he arrived at the wrong time", he said and sighed.

I looked to Jangmi, who seemed to be equally shocked as I was.

"Even though he's acting a bit childish, try to understand him. He really likes you, you know."

Never had I seen Chanyeol talking so seriously about something. I looked to him and he blinked at me. "You should talk to him."

I didn't want to waste more time and I grabbed my phone. I was going to call him.