Chapter 16

Not Now

The introduction of Sehun to my family went great. More than great, if you ask me. I couldn't deny that they were more than surprised to see that my friend was a guy with a fancy car and not a girl. They took it well.

My mom set the table and we all started eating. It seemed to me that Sehun was afraid to speak. He focused on eating and I kind of felt sorry for him. It was probably awkward for him.

"Chaerin, you haven't mentioned Sehun to us before", my dad said and I looked up.

"I-I did. He's the one who likes bubble tea, I told you that before."

"Oh, you're right! I forgot. So...Sehun, what brings you to Chuncheon?"

"I was bored home, so I decided to travel somewhere. I remembered that Chaerin is here so I stopped by."

I looked to my parents who smiled to themselves. How weird.

Soon a few more questions followed. I thought they would scare Sehun, but he looked more relaxed. He started talking to my dad about his law studies and their discussion lasted almost until the end of our dinner.

Naeun just kept staring at Sehun. She later told me that he was the hottest guy she had ever seen and I scolded her to stop talking like that.

"Where do your parents work?" my mom asked. I was curious to hear his answer, because we never really talked about that.

"They work at a  law firm."

So, his parents were both lawyers.

"So your parents are well-off?", my mom asked.

I saw panic in Sehun's eyes and my mom probably saw it too, so she quickly covered it up. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean anything bad."

"No, it's alright. They do make a lot of money but we're not rich", he said. 

My parents nodded and we resumed the dinner without further discussing Sehun's family.

The conversation made me think about him more. I never paid attention to Sehun's clothes or other items before. He had a good phone and his clothes did look expensive, but I never thought that he was rich. His parents definitely had more money than mine, but it never occured to me that he could be rich. He just didn't give off that  vibe.
________________________________________________________________________

"Chaerin, did you show Sehun the town?" my dad asked. 

We were all sitting in the living room after dinner.

"We went to see the river", I said, "nothing much."

Sehun looked to his phone and turned to me. "I think I need to go. It's getting dark."

"You can't drive, it's dark outside. You can stay and sleep here."

As soon as my dad said that, both Sehun and I looked at each other. He was blushing and so was I. 

"I-I don't know, I wouldn't want to be a burden to you", he said.

"That's nonsense. Please stay. Just phone your parents that you won't be coming home."

"But where is Sehun going to sleep?" Naeun jumped in, "we don't have a guest room."

She was right. I guess my parents didn't think about it when they asked him to stay.

"You're right. We have this couch, but I'm afraid Sehun's too tall to sleep on it. It'll be uncomfortable." My dad paused to think. "One of you can sleep on the couch so he can take the bed."

"I'll sleep on the couch", I said. I knew that Naeun would want to sleep on the couch and I didn't want to sleep in the same room with Sehun, because I was sure that I wouldn't be able to sleep at all.

"No, I'll sleep on the couch", Sehun said. "You need to rest properly, you've worked all day."

"But you're the guest."

He shook his head at me. "I'm sleeping on the couch and that's it."

My mom chuckled. "Look at you two bickering. Chaerin, Naeun and you can sleep on one bed and Sehun can sleep on another."

Well, thanks mom for the great idea! I had to sleep in the same room with him and also squish with Naeun on the same bed. Perfect!

I looked to my dad, hoping that he would disapprove it, but no, he actually agreed. This was getting better and better.
___________________________________________________________________________

"You have towels on the shelf in the bathroom and also some clothes to change into", I told Sehun when it was time to go to bed. "And be sure to lock the door while showering. Naeun tends to forget that the bathroom is in use."

He blushed and nodded quickly. "Alright. I'll...uhm...be quick." He entered the bathroom and I retreated to my room.

"Is Sehun showering?" Naeun asked and I nodded. "He's so handsome. Where did you meet him? And why didn't you tell me about him?"

"We met in the cafeteria and became friends later." I was too tired to tell her the details about how we met. 

I changed into my pyjamas and sat on Chaerin's bed.

"You two would be such a cute couple", she cooed and I glared at her, even though I liked her words. Maybe we would be a cute couple. Only if I stopped being so insecure about myself.

"Chaerin!" I heard my mom's voice. "Come here!"

I dragged myself to my parents' bedroom. "What is it?"

"Come here", my father patted the bed.

"Sehun is a really nice guy", he started. "And I can see that he likes you."

"We're just friends", I said.

He smiled. "I know. But I also know that he wants to be more than friends."

"Dad!"

"You know it too. I just want to tell you that I won't get mad if you and Sehun...how do you say it nowadays...become a thing."

I didn't know what to say to that. Too embarrassed to say anything, I just got up and left, quietly wishing them good night.

"What did they want?" Naeun asked, her head peeking under the blanket.

"Nothing."

We heard a knock on the door. 

"Can I come in?" Sehun's muffled voice was heard.

"Sure", I said and he opened the door slowly. "You didn't have to knock."

"I...I thought you two were maybe changing", he said shyly. He went to my bed, the place where he would be sleeping and sat down awkwardly.
I took a good look at him and I felt that thing again. The heartbeat speeding up, face heating up, everything else was in blur but him.

"I-I'll turn off the lights."

"No, I will", he said, getting up before me. The room was suddenly dark, only a few rays of light were coming from the city outside.

"Goodnight", I heard his deep voice.

Both Naeun and I replied and I closed my eyes, trying hard to erase the thought that Sehun was laying in a bed just a few steps away from mine.
__________________________________________________________________________

Waking up without a cover was something I expected, considering the fact that I had slept in the same bed with my sister. She had a habit of taking all of the blankets to herself. Even though it was summer now and it wasn't not cold, she had to take all of the covers from me.
I looked to my bed and saw Sehun sitting straight and looking at his phone. He looked up and his eyes stayed on me for a little longer than I expected. He bit his lip and looked away, face covered with a blush.

I realised that I wasn't covered and that my oversized shirt was rilled up, exposing my legs and a little bit of my tummy. I quickly pulled some of the blanket from Naeun, thanking myself inwardly for wearing my pyjama shorts. Usually I would wear only underwear under the shirt.

"When did you wake up?" I asked, trying to break the awkwardness.

"Not too long ago. I was already in the bathroom, so you can go."

We were whispering all the time, not wanting to wake Naeun up.

"OK. You can go wait for me in the kitchen."


Some things were just crazy and unbelieveable. Like, if someone told me a few months ago that I would be in my house, in my kitchen, eating breakfast with that rude guy from the cafeteria, I would have punched that someone.

But things had turned out much different. That rude guy from the cafeteria was named Oh Sehun, and he wasn't rude. He was a gentle and caring person, a person who protected me and liked me.  He was the person I fell in love with.

"I hope that cereals are fine for you", I said.

He nodded, his stuffed mouth preventing him to talk. That was cute, really cute. 

"I wish I could have given you something better."

"It's okay. You have work later, don't bother yourself to cook for me", he said.

"Don't remind me of my work", I groaned.

"Listen, if that guy starts bothering you again, just give me a call."

"Thanks, but I don't think he'll do that again."

"Who is he actually? An ex of yours, maybe?" 

I shook my head rapidly. "No no, not at all! He just...used to bully me in middle school."

"Bully?!" he yelled. "I should have punched him. That son of a-" he interrupted himself.

"I don't think he'll do anything now", I said to calm him down. "You scared him well."

He frowned. "I could have done more." He mumbled something under his breath which I didn't quite catch and we resumed our breakfast in peace.

 

I didn't want him to leave. I knew it was stupid, but I wanted him to stay just for a little while. He would have stayed longer but his parents called him, so he had to leave.

"You didn't have to walk me to the door."

I smiled. "It would be rude if I didn't. Be careful while driving."

He grinned. "Sure. A hug?" he spread his arms and I gladly accepted it. I could get used to his hugs, I thought. They were just so warm and nice.

"You take care too", he said. And then I felt something soft on top of my head. His lips.

I was motionless for a few moments before he let me go, his face red and eyes furiously blinking.

"I'm sorry, I just- I got carried away, I really-"

"It's fine", I mumbled, interrupting his stuttering. "I liked it."

His eyes widened at my words and so did mine. What did I just say?!

"Sehun, I..." 

Say it, Chaerin, say that you like him back, I repeated in my head, but I just couldn't say those words out loud.

"You don't have to tell me anything now", he said with a smile. "We'll talk about it when I see you in Seoul."

I sighed, cursing at my stupid self for ruining everything again.

"But thank you for saying that thing earlier. I liked it too."

I blushed once again and we smiled at each other.

"I'll see you soon, Chaerin."