Chapter 03

Not Now

Jangmi could only look sadly at me after finding out that Minseok had a girlfriend. I laughed at her sad expression, telling her that it wasn't a big deal.

"I will get over it, just like all the guys before him."

"Other guys?" she asked, frowning. I nodded. She didn't know about my love life before college, or the lack of it. Jangmi and I met each other at college entrance exam. I found her sitting at the stairs, trembling. I helped her calm down and since then we became best friends.

"Yes. You know, no one actually liked me back. The guys I liked never liked me back."

She looked me in utter shock. She made the same expression she had when I told her I never had a boyfriend. "How is that possible?" she said. 

I shrugged. "I think that's just bad luck. But I'm sure that one day I'll find someone who will", I told her and smiled widely, just to cheer her up a bit. She seemed really worried about me. She even started introducing me to her single friends and it lasted for some time until I told her to stop, because I didn't want her to worry about it that much.

"Of course you will find someone. And Minseok isn't that good at all", she made a face. I nodded my head, but I didn't share her opinion.

Kim Minseok was everything I liked in a guy. He was quiet, smart and I felt comfortable around him. He even looked good, which wasn't that important to me, but it certainly added him another point.

"Do you want to sleep at my house tonight? We can watch a movie if you want. I'll ditch Chanyeol", she said and I shook my head.

"Jangmi, I'm fine, really. I'm not going through a terrible break up, for God's sake!" I rolled my eyes and she smiled. And I was fine. I just had a few more things to do and I would recover completely.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

The first thing was to go and get some bubble tea. My favourite place for bubble tea was near the Han river. Whenever I had free time, I would buy some bubble tea and sit on one of the benches on the bank. The river always made me calm.

Entering the cafe, I heard someone calling my name. It was Hyorin, my roomate. She waved at me and I approached her table. But she wasn't alone. A guy was with her, and not just any other guy, but the one who almost yelled at me at the cafeteria. I recognized him and he apparently recognized me, because he straightened in his seat.

"Hey, Chaerin. What brings you here?" she chirped.

"I came to grab some bubble tea", I said.

"Come join us", she said and I looked around nervously. This was exactly what I feared of. 

I quickly came up with an excuse. "I have to go soon, my friend is going to wait for me."

She shook her head. "Come on, just a few minutes. Besides, I want to treat you. If you hadn't helped me that night, I would have died. That's how drunk I was."

I sighed and took a seat. I could handle this. The guy just kept staring at me and I started to feel uncomfortable. "Oh, I forgot to intorduce you two. Chaerin, this is my cousin, Sehun. Sehun, this is Chaerin, my roomate."

We both nodded. I wanted to say how I already met him, in a way, but I refrained from doing so. It wouldn't be appropriate.

"Sehun is in his first year of college, just like you", Hyorin pointed out.

"Really? What college?" I asked. He flinched, probably not expecting me to be civil to him. I had every right to be rude, but I didn't want to, I wasn't like that.

"Law school", he answered.

"That sounds interesting."

He shook his head. "Only sounds interesting. You?"

"Chemistry."

He gaped. "Really? That's so cool."

"Hi! What can I get you?" I gaped seeing the owner of the voice. It was Minseok, standing in front of our table and dressed in a uniform. "Hey, Chaerin", he smiled at me.

"Minseok. You work here?" I asked. He nodded. "I started last week. I work after classes. What can I get you?"

"I'll have a watermelon bubble tea", I said and he jotted it down in his notebook. Sehun also ordered some bubble tea and Hyorin ordered a large cup of coffee.

"So, you know this waiter guy?" Hyorin asked me.

"Yes, he's also studying Chemistry. We are in the same group in the lab."

"He's cute", she winked at me and I could only shrug.

"He is, but he has a girlfriend", I said, trying not to sound too disappointed. I glanced at Sehun and he looked away. What was wrong with that guy?

I couldn't wait to get my bubble tea and run away. As if he heard my prayer, Minseok showed up with our orders. Hyorin payed him right away and I thanked her for treating me. She and Sehun were engaged into a conversation which I wasn't paying attention to when suddenly my phone rang. Seeing Jangmi's phone number, I thanked God inwardly.

"Yes, Jangmi, I'll be right there."

"Oh, you're leaving?" Hyorin asked.

I nodded. "Yes, I need to grab some stuff from Jangmi's place." I took my bubble tea and picked up my bag. "I'll see you at the dorm later. Bye."

"Bye", I heard Sehun's deep voice. I smiled awkwardly and ran out of the cafe.

 

It took me fifteen minutes of walking from the cafe to Jangmi's apartment. Her mother opened the door and welcomed me in.

"Chaerin, why don't you stop by more often? We rarely see you these days", she said.

"I'm just busy with studying. But I promise I'll come more often."

I entered Jangmi's bedroom and found her laying on the floor with a book in her hands. She jumped up when she saw me. "I caught you reading belletristics again", I said playfully and she groaned.

"I have to read something. And anything related to school is not an option right now. Are you going to sleep over?" she asked hopefully.

"No. You can go have fun with Chanyeol, don't worry about me. Where are my stuff?"

She pointed at a plastic bag on the floor and I picked it up. Those were some of my books that I forgot once I slept over.

"Stay for lunch", she said and I shook my head.

"Thanks, but I have something really important to do."
____________________________________________________________________________

I loved the river so much. Just watching it flow calmly and peacefully and yet with such power made me forget about all of my worries. Luckily, my favourite bench was unoccupied today so I could sit back and enjoy.

Holding a crumpled letter in my hand, I observed the river and people passing by. I had to let go all of the stress and sadness I had in myself at that moment. The letter in my hand was heavy and I had to get rid of it. Throwing it into the river was something I didn't want to, but throwing it somewhere near it sounded good to me. Even it was just a regular trash bin near the river, I felt like it would be the same as throwing it into the river.

I spotted one bin, a few meters away from me and chose it as the place to throw away all of my worries. I put the letter down on the bench and took a chocolate bar from my bag. This sudden hunger was probably caused my the fresh air near the river.

"May I sit here?" 

Oh God no! Why now? Why can't I just be alone for a few moments? I looked up to see Sehun's face and I almost jumped up in surprise. How the hell did he manage to find me here? Did he stalk me?

"Sure", I replied, and he took a seat, pretty close to me.

I gulped, the sudden feeling of discomfort appearing. I glanced at him and it seemed as if he was trying to say something.

Finally, after a few minutes of agonizing, he spoke. "I'm sorry for what I did at the cafeteria. It was very rude of me."

So that was it. I smiled at him weakly. "It's alright, I forgot about it already."

He didn't believe me, because he looked at me suspiciously.

"It's alright. I forgave you", I said, only wanting to run away. The atmosphere was now killing me.

"Then why did you cry?"

Oh no. He had seen my tears. I turned away from him and gazed at the river. "It had nothing to do with you", I started. "I was just stressed out. Even if you hadn't done it, I would have cried."

He seemed pleased with my answer. I took a deep breath and felt a bit better. I only needed to leave. Luck must have been on my side that day because my phone beeped. I read a message from my mother.

"I have to leave now", I told him, and he got up right after I did.

"Are you going to the dorms? I can accompany you", he said, looking anywhere but at me.

"Actually, I am going to see my boyfriend so..." I trailed off. The boyfriend excuse was the only thing I could think of to get rid of him, and it worked. He nodded, looking to the ground.

"Bye", I said.

"Bye, Chaerin."