Chapter 11

Not Now

Honestly, I thought that he wasn't going to pick up, but after a few rings he did. My heart was threatening to burst when I heard his voice.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Sehun. How did your exam go?"

"It went well", he replied curtly. He sounded really upset.

"Actually, I called you because I'm leaving in two days. If you have time, we can meet up today. Or tomorrow."

He was silent for so long that I thought he hung up on me, but he didn't. "Sehun, if you're busy we can talk later..." my voice trailed off.

"I'm busy today. I can see you tomorrow", he said. "I'll text you the time."

"Alright, I'll see you tomorrow then. Bye."

He hung up without a word and I felt pain in my chest. It was my fault that he was in a bad mood.

"What did he say?" Chanyeol asked carefully.

"I'll see him tomorrow", I said with a sigh and I noticed that Chanyeol was frowning. "Is something wrong?"

"It must be something serious", he mumbled.

"What? Chanyeol, tell me."

He sighed as he took Jangmi's hand. He looked slightly troubled. "Don't tell him that I told you this, but Sehun...he often fights with his parents. They can be pretty controlling sometimes."

The pain in my chest was growing even bigger. I was right, Sehun really was hurt. I knew it from the tone of his voice, from the look in his eyes. There was something going on, and that something had nothing to do with his unrequitted crush on me, which maybe wasn't so unrequitted anymore.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After Chanyeol left, Jangmi and I went to her room. I told her to pick a movie for us to watch and she picked "Star Wars". She was a huge fan of the entire series.
I didn't really pay attention to the movie. My thoughts were focused only on Sehun. I couldn't wait to see him and talk to him. I know, I couldn't just directly ask him about his parents, but I would find a way to make him talk.

For the past days I kept questioning my feelings for him and everytime I did that I would end up being more confused. The way he treated me was something I had never experienced before. He was my friend and he respected my feelings, but sometimes I could feel his eyes on me and that look clearly told me that he liked me more than a friend.

I remember once, when he was walking me to the dorm, a few guys were staring at me and threw some comments about me wearing a strap top, and he yelled at them to mind their own business and not talk about a girl like that.

I had to admit that his actions made my heart warm. Only if I could sort my feelings out and come at peace with myself, that would be great. 

"Thinking about Sehun?" Jangmi's voice shook me out of my thoughts and I couldn't muster a reply. She chuckled. "I knew it."

Oh no. I groaned, mentally preparing myself for another round of teasing.

"What are you afraid of, Chaerin?"

Her question was totally unexpected and I frowned.

"Are you afraid of a relationship?" she asked and I finally understood. 

"I-I guess I am", I said and I felt as if someone lifted a huge burden off my back.

She paused the movie and faced me. "Why?"

That was the first time I had seen her so serious. Just like Chanyeol, she was always so bright and smiley.

"I don't know, Jangmi, I-actually I know. It's stupid, really."

"Tell me."

I chuckled roughly. "You are going to laugh at me", I said, already feeling embarrassed, even without telling her the reason.

"I won't, I promise." She gave me an assuring nod and I heaved a sigh. Nevermind, I was going to tell her.

"I'm afraid that it would affect my studies", I mumbled, looking away from her abruptly. Even though I didn't catch her face, I was positive that she was gaping.

"Really?!" she said after a few moments. "Please tell me that you're kidding me."

I shrugged. "Jangmi, you know that I'm coming from a poor family. Not really poor, but we can't afford the kind of life we want to live. School is the only way I can assure myself a better life and...I can't let it all go because of a guy."

She kept staring me like I was a stranger and not her friend. "There has to be another reason", she said.

"And I am also scared of getting hurt", I admitted, tears welling in my eyes. "I'm afraid of letting someone into my life, I just...I'm so stupid, Jangmi." My attempts to hide my tears were in vain.

Jangmi stared at me, probably in shock because she had never seen me cry before. Rubbing my eyes, I took a deep breath to calm myself.

"Chaerin, I-I'm sorry."

"Why are you saying sorry?" I asked her through sobs.

"I shouldn't have asked. I-I didn't know..." She looked so apologetic, without any reason to be.

"Actually, I needed this. I had to tell someone how I felt", I said and gave her a small smile.

She shook her head. "You are not stupid. Everyone has fears like that, no one wants to get hurt. But you should at least think about it. I'm not saying that you should run into Sehun's arms, but just think about it. You never know."

I nodded, whiping the remaining tears away.

"I just want to see you happy", she said and at that moment I started crying even harder.

"Thank you, Jangmi. Thank you so much", I said and pulled her into a hug. I sobbed like a baby, not because I was sad, but because I was thankful.

Having such a great friend in my life after so many years of being lonely, without friends in both elementary and high school, it really felt unreal. I believed that Jangmi was a friend for life and I was so thankful that she accepted me the way I was.

Breaking the hug, she looked up at me and grinned. "What are you going to wear tomorrow? You have to look pretty on your date", she winked. 

"You won't stop teasing me, will you?"

She shook her head playfully and I sighed. I guess having a best friend came with a certain price. Not that I mind it.