Chapter 08

Not Now

Sehun hesitated a bit before entering the dorm with me. I told the doorman that he wouldn't stay too long and he let him in.

I didn't know why was he so nervous while standing in front of my door when he was the one who insisted to accompany me to the door.

"I have to ask you something, Chaerin. Would you like to go see a movie with me tomorrow? As friends, not as a date", he said.

It took me a few moments to think about it and I could feel that he was growing nervous. "Sure. What kind of movie?"

He smiled and took something out of his pocket. "Here is your ticket", he held out his hand. "Jongin works at the cinema, he got us the tickets for free."

"Thanks. I'll see you in front of the cinema tomorrow", I said, opening the door of my room.

"I thought...we could have a walk to the cinema, together. If you want to", his voice trailed off and I chuckled.

"A walk sounds great."

"Great! I'll meet you in front of the dorm at six", he said, a smile blooming on his face and I smiled back at him. It was strange how much I liked to see him smile. He looked like a cute little boy.

"Goodnight, Chaerin", he said and his heels to leave and I ran into my room quickly. It was finally dawning on me, the fact that I cried in front of him and I felt utterly embarrassed. I avoided crying in front of other people besides my parents and my sister. None of my friends had ever seen me cry. But Sehun did and I started regretting my whole life. I already regretted accepting to go to the movies with him. Why was I so stupid? 

I told myself that I wouldn't get attached to anyone, that I didn't need anyone, but here I was, thinking how I embarrassed myself in front of Sehun and I actually cared about his opinion of me. Frustrated, I burried my head in my pillow. I couldn't believe this. Liking someone wasn't something that came so easily to me. No way, there was no way I started liking Sehun. I couldn't deny that his words didn't affect me, though. He made me feel special and I tried to neglect that feeling, but there was no use. Everytime I remembered how he said that he wouldn't give up on me, my heart would flutter a bit. Althought I knew that those words could be just empty words and nothing else, I still wanted them to be true.
______________________________________________________________________________

Hyorin kept eyeing me entire morning. Drinking her coffee, she kept glancing at me. I pretended like I didn't notice that and continued to eat my breakfast.

"Everytime I meet Sehun, he keeps asking about you", she said and I immediately connected the dots. She probably noticed that something was happenning.

"He does?" I asked, not looking up at her.

"Yeah, all the time. He told me how you took him to one of your classes. He kept blabbering about that all the time."

I remained quiet.

"What do you think of him? He's quite handsome, right. And he's also a nice guy. Not because he's my cousin but-"

"I know that he likes me", I cut her off and I had to look up at her to see her face. She nodded slowly and took a sip of her coffee. 

"So, he confessed to you", she said a few moments later. "And I assume that you said no."

I lowered my head and nodded. I felt guilty against my will.

"Well, I won't meddle into that anymore", she said. "Oh my God, Chaerin, I'm late!" she boomed, looking at her phone.

There she went again. It was the same every morning. When she wasn't late for school, she was late somewhere else. Always late. She hurriedly put on her clothes and I wondered where she was rushing to, because it was Saturday morning.

"I'm going to see Sarang", she said while applying her mascara. "She is going to kill me, I'm so late."

I chuckled, seeing her so flustered. I couldn't understand people who were always in rush, Hyorin being one of them. I still don't know how I do it, but I'm always on time. I always get up early or start getting ready earlier just to be in time. I just didn't like to be late.

Hyorin scurried away and she managed to leave her phone on the table. I ran after her and gave her the phone. I earned a few looks from people passing by, probably because I was only in my shorts and a tank top, but I couldn't care less.     

When I came back into my room, my phone rang. It was a text from Namjoon. He was also from the dorm, living just a few rooms away from mine. One day he knocked on my door, asking if I had a phone charger and that's how we met. He was also a freshman and he was studying English literature. "Come to the cafe. I have someting to show you."

I chuckled. He probably got a new book or something like that. I just put on a shirt and headed to the dorm's cafeteria. We called it "cafe" because it was shorter.

Namjoon was waiting for me at his favourite spot. "Hey, Chaerin, what's up?" We high-fived, it was the way we always greeted each other. "Look what I got", he took the book out of his bag and I laughed out loud. I wasn't wrong. He did call me because of a book. "My uncle bought this one for me. He ordered it from England! All of Shakespeare's plays in one book", he said excitedly and I took the book out of his hands. I loved to hold new books and feel the paper under my fingeprints.

"You know that I'm not a big fan of Shakespeare's work, but this book looks amazing. I want to read this."

He made a face when I said I wasn't Shakespeare's fan, but soon smiled again. "I haven't seen you much these days."

I sighed. "Studying, nothing else. You?"

"I feel you. I have tons of essays to write and other stuff", he said. 

We continued chatting for some more and before we knew it it was already half past two. 

"I think I should go right now, I have practice in half an hour", he said.

"What practice?"

He smiled, his dimples showing. "I started hitting the gym."

I gasped, never expecting him to do such a thing. For this short time I knew him, never did he mention anything related to working out. He seemed to be just like me, a typical couch potato. 

"Because of that girl, right?" I raised an eyebrow and he nodded shyly. I accidentaly heard him talking to his friend about a huge crush he had on one of the girls from his college and I loved to about that once in a while. "I don't think you need the gym. Just be a little more confident around her."

"I don't think that would help", he sighed, "but thanks."

He left and I lingered in the cafeteria for some more. Slowly, the nervousness was starting to creep up as the meeting with Sehun was getting closer.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Sehun and I were walking to the cinema in a painfully slow pace. Never in my life had I walked so slowly.

"Sehun, I have to tell you something about yesterday", I said. It was time to tell him the words I rehearsed during the entire previous night. "That was my first time to cry in front of someone other than my closest family. I'm sorry I cried like that, and it wasn't your fault." I felt my cheeks burning and I didn't dare to look up at him.

He was quiet for a few minutes and I started to worry. Did I say something wrong?

"I know that it is not my fault, but somehow you always look sad when you are with me", he said and I gulped. His words were partially true. "And I hate to see you like that. I want you to be happy."

"I am happy", I said and smiled at him. "But are you?"

He nodded. "I am, like this. Going to see a movie with my...friend."

I noticed how his voice wavered a bit and I decided to change the topic. "Your cousin was late this morning. She forgot her phone, I had to run after her."

He chuckled. "Nothing unusual from her. What did you do later?"

"Nothing much. I was quite lazy. I went to see Namjoon at the cafeteria, actually."

"Namjoon?" he frowned.

"Oh, he's a guy from the dorm. We're friends, kind of."

He was silent for a while. "You should be careful with guys in the dorm. I heard that a lot of them would sneak into girls' rooms during the night or peek through the windows", he said.

"They sneak because the girls let them in. And Namjoon is not like that", I assured him.

He crossed his arms, still frowning. "If you say so. But if he does something weird, just tell me. I'll beat him up."

I couldn't help but to break into a smile and my heart might have skipped a few beats.