Chapter 12

Not Now

At first I thought that I was hallucinating, because a luxurious car stopped right in front of the building where Jangmi lived and Sehun came out of it. It was probably because of the heat that I was imagining things, I thought. But soon my thoughts turned out to be wrong when I heard Sehun's voice calling my name.

He looked amazing. Gray pants, white button-down shirt and white sneakers. I'm not one of those people who pay attention to what others are wearing, sometimes I don't pay attention to what I'm wearing, but I guess that changed when he came out of that car.He looked so handsome, and the smile he had on his face made him even more attractive.

"Hey, wake up!" he said, waving in front of my face and I looked down in embarrassment. "Are you ready to go?"

"I am, but what is this?" I gestured at the car.

He grinned. "That's a car. It's nice, right?"

"Is it yours?"

He shook his head abruptly. "No no no, it's Luhan hyung's. I..uhm... he said I could give it a ride. Uhm...shall we go?"

I nodded, reaching my hand to open the door to the passanger seat, but Sehun was quicker. He opened the door for me and I hopped in, hoping that the blush on my cheeks wasn't so obvious. What was going on with me?

"Sorry that I couldn't see you yesterday", he said, "I was busy."

"It's okay", I said. I was silent, not because I didn't want to talk to him, but because he looked so natural while driving. It seemed as if the car was made for him.

"Is something wrong?" he asked.

"No. It's just weird for me to see you drive. I never saw you doing that before. You are a good driver."

He grinned widely. "Thanks", he said shyly.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"It's a surprise."

"Tell me."

"No", he said teasingly. "I would ruin the surprise."

"Please", I urged him, but he stubbornly refused. "Fine", I pouted.

"Chaerin, look to your right."

Confused, I turned my head to see a very tall building. "What is that?"

"That is the biggest library in Korea", he said, and I jumped up in surprise. The car slowed down.

"Are we going there?" I asked, feeling excited just at the mere thought of going there. Being surrounded by books was something that always managed to make me happy. I dreamed of having my own library one day.

"No", he said, shattering my hopes with just one word. "If we go there, you will only pay attention to books and not me."

I grinned at his cuteness. Why was he so adorable today? "You're right. I wouldn't even look at you", I joked and he gave me a pout.

"We can go to the library some other time", he said.

"I agree. When are we going to arrive?" I asked, because I noticed that we were going for quite some time.

"Soon", he replied briefly and I decided not to question him anymore. 

Instead of talking, I was focused on watching him. His hands were holding the steering wheel with such ease, eyes focused on the road in front of him. I was staring at his side profile for so long that I started to look like a creep in my own eyes. Looking away from him, I didn't know what to do with myself. My heart was beating faster than usual. I took my phone out of my purse and opened a random app, just to shake off that strange feeling I had.

The car pulled over and Sehun turned to me. "We arrived."

I got out of the car and looked around. We were on a parking lot, surrounded with buildings. I frowned at him. 

"Don't worry, we are not going to hang out in the parking lot", he assured.

"Then where are we going?"

"Follow me."

After five minutes of walking through a maze of streets, we were in a park. The most beautiful park I had ever seen in my life, to be precise. There were a lot of trees, benches occupied by people of all ages. 

"Do you like it?" he asked and I hummed in approval. Everything looked so beautiful and lively. Sehun however, seemed to be unfased by the beauty of this place. As if he had been here all his life.

He found us a more quiet place to sit down, far from the screaming children. I was enjoying the fresh air in the park. This day had started well.

"I heard that you passed all of your exams. Congrats", he said.

"Thanks. How did your exam go?"

He chuckled. "I got an A."

"That's great! Did you celebrate it?"

He looked down to his feet and I knew I said something I shouldn't have. "Actually...I wanted to celebrate it with you", he mumbled.

"You could have called me", I said. 

He bit his lips, still looking to the ground. "I wanted to surprise you by coming to that cafe. Then I...I saw that you already had company and I didn't want to bother you."

I knew that he was talking about Jongdae and the hug he had witnessed and I knew that he was hurt by it.

"You wouldn't bother me at all. I was really bored the rest of the day. Jongdae left as soon as he thanked me for tutoring him."

His head snapped up and he stared at me with wide eyes. I wanted to laugh at his shocked face, but I did my best to stay calm. 

"What's with the face?"

"I-I thought..." he mumbled.

"You thought what? That he confessed to me or something?" 

"He hugged you", he said, looking to the ground again and I wanted to punch myself for making him feel that way. He was hurt and it was all my fault.

"The hug shocked me too, to be honest." I  opened my purse and took out that pack of candy Jongdae gave me. "He gave me this. I wanted to share it with you."

He looked up and smiled immediately when he saw the candy. "Those are my favourite."

"Those are my favourite too", I chirped and his eyes sparkled. "I'll have to tutor him more if he's going to buy this candy."

"There's no need for that. I'll buy us a whole truck of these."

I rolled my eyes at him. "You are such a kid."

He fake-gasped and put his hand on his chest dramatically. "You have offended me, Miss Kim. I must have my revenge", he said and in one swift move he took the candy away from me.

I glared at him, but my lips curled into a smile. He looked happier and that was the only thing that mattered. 

"If you don't give it back, I'm going to punish you", I said playfully and smirked.

"Oh, I'm so scared!" he gasped. "How?"

My smirk grew wider as I noticed his phone on the bench, right next to him. I grabbed it and waved it in front of him. "Look what I have. Let's see what you have here."

He suddenly looked as if someone drained all of the blood out of his body. He stared at his phone, completely numb as I unlocked it. 
I didn't mean to do that. I thought his phone was locked with a password and I didn't mean to invade his privacy. But it was already late. I was staring at his wallpaper, which was a photo of the two of us, the first photo we took that day at Luhan's cafe. I didn't know what to say and I just stared at him. He looked nervous and after a few moments he grabbed the phone out of my hand.

Silence fell between the two of us. I stared at the ground, shuffling  my feet and thinking how it was possible for him to like me. If I were him, I would give up. And yet, he was still by my side. He chose to stay, even though we were only friends. He cared about me.

"Sorry", he said. "I made everything awkward again. I didn't want you to feel burdened, but I guess that's inevitable."

"Burdened by what?"

"Nothing, I just...forget it. And I'm sorry."

I looked up at him and saw that he was looking around nervously. "Sorry for what? Because your wallpaper is a photo of the two of us? What is wrong with that?"

"You're not creeped out?" he asked.

I chuckled. "Why would I be? Besides, we look good. You picked a nice one", I said and he smiled again and heaved a sigh.

"I thought you would be bothered by it", he said, "you know..."

"I told you, you picked a nice one. And you look great in it", I said, surprised by my own words. I was pretty bad at complimenting people.

"Thanks", he said shyly. "You look great too."

I felt my cheeks burning at his compliment and to calm myself down, I decided to joke a little. "Thanks. But I always look great, Mr. Oh", I flipped my hair and he giggled.

"What do you say that we start eating the candy, Miss Kim?"

I agreed and he opened the pack. We munched on the candy and talked about random stuff. College, friends, dramas he had seen. I was astonished when he told me the number of dramas he had seen. He was quite a drama lover. He also told me some embarrassing stories about his friends and I laughed so much that my stomach hurt. 

"Mom, I want candy!"

We both turned to the little voice we heard. An adorable little girl stared at the candy in Sehun's hand and pointed at it. Her mother sighed, telling her that she would get an ice cream when they get home.

The girl shook her head, still staring at the candy and not moving an inch.

"Come here", Sehun looked at her and flashed her a smile. The girl looked at her mom hopefully and the two approached us.

Sehun gave the girl the pack of the candy and she thanked him, her puppy eyes looking at him in awe.

"I'm sorry", her mother said. "I'll give you money to buy yourself a new one."

"No, it's alright", I said, smiling at her. The little girl stared at Sehun and then at me, as if she was thinking about something. I suddenly remembered that I had a chocolate bar in my purse and I took it out.

"Here, this is for you", I said and she stared at me in confusion. "Take it."

Her mother was looking at me with a frown. The girl took the chocolate bar and turned happily to her mother. "Mom, look what I got!"

Then I remembered the reason her mother was frowning. "But you have to promise me that you will eat something salty first, and then eat the sweets."

The girl nodded, grinning at me. "I promise."

Sehun looked at the girl with such love, as if she was his daughter. "How old are you?" he asked.

"I'm five."

"Thank you", her mother said. "Let's go now, Yebin."

"Mom wait! I have to ask oppa something", she said and Sehun beamed at her. "What is your name?"

"My name is Sehun", he said.

"Sehun oppa, you are really nice and handsome."Her mother, him and I laughed and the girl smiled. "And your girlfriend is really nice too, and pretty."
Both Sehun and I blushed and I decided not to tell the girl the truth and probably ruin her day.

"I have a boyfriend, you know. He is my neighbour too." 

I chuckled. Kids were obviously growing up pretty fast these days. Five years old and already in a relationship. And there was I, still without my first kiss.

"Really? That is nice", Sehun said.

"Do you hold hands with Sehun oppa?" she asked me and I nodded. 

"Yebin, we should leave. They are a couple, they need some time alone", her mother said and I didn't dare to look at Sehun.

"Are they going to kiss?" Yebin whispered, but we could still hear her. Her mother nodded and she gasped. "Then we should leave."

They left and the girl kept waving at us until they were out of our sight.

"She's really adorable", he said and I hummed in response. "I would like to have a daughter one day. Or more of them", he chuckled. "Do you...want to have kids one day?"

I shrugged. "I don't know, I haven't really thought about it. I want to focus on my career, but one day, maybe...I really don't know."

"I hope my question wasn't weird."

I chuckled. "It wasn't. That's the question I never asked myself."

He nodded and glanced at his watch. "I think we should go. It's getting dark here."

I agreed. Looking around the park, I noticed that there were only a few people sitting. We must have stayed here for quite some time.

 

The ride back to Jangmi's place was quiet. I guess we were both preparing ourselves for what was coming next, our farewell. Two months without seeing each other. While getting ready for our meeting, I didn't really think about it, but now I started feeling weird. I was going to miss him, I was sure, more than I thought I would.

Standing on the pavement, we both looked at each other, reluctant to leave.

"I had a great time today", he said. "I guess this is it."

"Yeah." I smiled at him. "Well, have a great summer, Sehun. Are you planning on travelling somewhere?"

"I don't know, maybe. You?"

I shook my head. "No. I have a part-time job to keep me busy", I chuckled.

"I didn't know."

"It's alright, it's not really hard." I looked around, avoiding to look at him because I wanted to hug him so bad. Gulping, I turned my head towards the building's entrance. "Bye, Sehun."

"Can I hug you?" he blurted out and I thanked God that he asked.

Unable to say anything, I just stood in front of him and he wrapped his arms around me, shyly at first, but when I returned the hug, he pressed me closer against himself. The hug felt so comfortable and natural that I didn't want to let go. It also made me realise that something changed. 

What exactly changed? I realised what when we broke the hug and said goodbyes once again, when he left and I stood there alone, when it finally dawned on me that we were going to be separated by miles for two months.

I realised that liked him.