Chapter 2

False Pretense

The place was dimly lit. People wearing luxurious dresses and jewellery were chatting with each other, catching up with so many lost time. Others were dancing and some were flirting. Tiffany thinks it was like college all over again because the same people were seated with their cliques.

Tiffany was seated on a table with her best friend Sooyoung. Sipping her drink and occasionally smiling with her batch mates through small talks. She didn’t even know why she went here. ‘Damn, Sooyoung and her convincing skills’ she thought to herself.

Tiffany’s eyes roamed around the place and then her heart stopped. In the corner of the room, right across from her was a familiar brunette. Tiffany knew her or at least she thinks she does. She remembered her being so beautiful with her hair blonde back then and she looks even more perfect now. Memories were flooding on her mind and she caught herself staring at the brunette who was drinking elegantly. Before Tiffany knew it, her feet dragged her right next to where the brunette sat.

“Easy on the alcohol there.” Tiffany placed her own glass of vodka on the counter and sat uneasily next to the gorgeous brunette.

The brunette seemed unable to notice Tiffany and began swirling her drink.

Tiffany was a bit offended, so she repeated herself. “I said, easy on the alcohol.”

The brunette placed her own glass down the counter with a bang, making Tiffany flinch. “I heard you the first time.” She said coldly.

Tiffany was astounded and blinked her eyes a couple of times. Even without the brunette facing her and despite the soft angelic yet icy voice, Tiffany could clearly feel the attitude. She began doubting if it was indeed the woman she thought she knew.

Tiffany cleared , wanting to start a new conversation, “I remember you can’t handle that much alcohol back then.”

“You don’t know me.” The brunette said viscously while clenching her fists. Tiffany clearly saw that the brunette’s knuckles were turning white and she gulped.

Out of the blue, a man approached the two and asked loudly, “Hey, Tiffany, I heard your company’s on the verge of collapsing. How are you coping up?”

Everybody immediately focused their judgmental eyes on Tiffany and started murmuring.

Tiffany felt like she was a prey cornered by predators, “I’m fine, Nick. And so is the company. I’m doing my best”

“I guess you doing your best isn’t good enough, eh? If you want, I can help you apply for the company I’m currently working in. I have quite a reputation there and I can put in a few good words for you.” Nichkhun said quite smugly. He was obviously faking a sympathetic expression which made Tiffany want to rip his head off.

Tiffany was about to say something but then the brunette who was listening to all the fuss beat her to it.

“Would all of you just shut the hell up? I’m in no mood for confrontational bull. Could I at least enjoy my drink?” the brunette blurted out annoyingly.

Everyone’s eyes were suddenly focused on the brunette. The brunette suddenly stood up and faced the smug looking Nichkhun. “At least she got her own company. Unlike you who still works in an office cubicle and submits to the boss.”

A few of the crowd gasped audibly while others started whispering.

The brunette walked a few steps out of the scene and stopped, faced back to Nichkhun, “Oh, and by the way, you’re fired.”

"You can't do that! I'm personally tied to the boss." Nichkhun lied through his teeth, panicking.

"Really? I don't remember being close to you though." 

"You're...you're J. Jung?", poor boy asked in disbelief.

Jessica just smiled smugly and sped off, leaving the humiliated guy and shocking the entire party.

The last thing the brunette saw was a devastated and gaping Nichkhun.

 

----

 

Sooyoung approached Tiffany right after the crowd had dispersed.

“Hey, are you alright?” the tall girl hugged her tightly.

Tiffany hugged her back and nodded, “She’s changed so much, Soo.”

Sooyoung raised a brow and looked at Tiffany, “But I gotta admit, what she did back there was super cool. Who knew she was Nick’s boss?”

Tiffany said nothing. They went outside and immediately got in Sooyoung’s car.

“Are we headed to the office?” Sooyoung turned the engine and swerved her car smoothly down the road.

“Just take me to my apartment. I want to see my girlfriend.” Tiffany replied tiredly.

“I bet she’s out partying again.” Sooyoung scoffed.

Tiffany didn’t answer. She hated it when she knows her best friend is right.

 

----

 

Jessica went straight to her apartment. Sighing, she opened a bottle of wine with a pop and poured herself a drink. Despite the amount of alcohol that she drank all night, she still wasn’t even close to getting tipsy. Her alcohol tolerance was quite high and she blamed her for it. She immediately drank the glass, hoping the high would keep her from thinking about her.

It’s been so long, Jessica. Why on earth are you faltering? she scolded herself.

She dumped the glass and drank straight from the bottle. Tonight was going to be a long night.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So what do you guys think? ^^