Chapter 5

False Pretense

Hi guys! I have a confession to make. I actually don't know where this fic is going. I got it all smooth sailing in my head at first but a sea storm destroyed my imagination lol

Anyway, you guys might be curious about Jeti's past. I'm not spilling it yet though, so....stay curious! ^^

And I know the chapters are short but I try to update as fast as I can to compensate.

Well that's enough chit chat. Here you go...  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jessica wanted to scream at the girl for drenching her outfit with foul smelling vomit, if not for the costumers who were looking. She went upstairs to the office to wash up and rid herself of the smell, practically dragging Tiffany along.

“Stay here. Do not move a muscle.” Jessica said as she left Tiffany sitting on the chair.

Tiffany made another gagging sound and Jessica was about to panic when the former held one hand on , trying to stop whatever’s going to come out. “I’m really really really sorry, Jessica.” Tiffany said in between hiccups.

Rolling her eyes, Jessica sighed as she silently prayed to the heavens for Tiffany not to do anything stupid. After washing and dressing up, the better looking (and smelling) Jessica saw Tiffany sitting on the chair with her head on the table. Tiffany was leaning sideways, making her position uncomfortable.

“Why were you drinking so much? Jessica asked.

Tiffany looked up to Jessica quickly and smiled her widest smile, “And you’re suddenly concerned about me, why?”

Jessica sighed. It’s a hopeless case talking decently with drunk people and she knew better than to lose her cool and retaliate. She took Tiffany’s purse and searched for a phone. She found it and pressed the home button.

“A passcode, huh?” Jessica talked to herself. She encoded the first four numbers that came into mind and she wasn’t surprised she unlocked it.

“Your birthday is not the best option for a passcode. Change it.” Jessica scoffed as she went over the contact list.

“Give that back!” Tiffany screamed too loudly making Jessica flinch.

Still hovering over the list, Jessica saw what she was looking for and immediately pressed the call button. She also pressed the speaker. Jessica was waiting for the other line to pick up but she was greeted by an enthusiastic voicemail, “Hi! It’s Taeyeon. I’m a bit busy right now but please leave a message and I’ll come right back atcha~!”

“Don’t leave her a message!” Tiffany said almost abruptly.

Jessica ended the call and asked, “But isn’t she your girlfriend?”

The drunk girl went silent and a pool of tears were starting to well in her eyes.

“Okay?” Jessica was starting to panic and went into the contacts again. Suddenly she remembered the tall girl who was Tiffany’s best friend. She knew her by looks but she forgot her name.

“Was it Soomi? Sooman? Soo..” Jessica talked to herself as she tried to recall the name.

At last, she found it and pressed the call button again. After a few rings, the other line picked it up.

“Don’t you own a watch? It’s freaking three in the morning, Fany!” Sooyoung groaned with sleep obvious on her voice.

“It’s Jessica.”

Jessica heard a shifting of what seemed like blankets on the other line. The line went silent for a while and she was about to hang up when Sooyoung croaked.

“Jessica? Jessica Jung?” Sooyoung asked. Her voice more awake this time.

”How many Jessicas do you know in your life? Yes, this is Jessica Jung.”

“Wow. You are as sarcastic as always.” Sooyoung said casually. “What are you doing with Fany’s phone?”

Jessica was not amused at Sooyoung’s first remark.

“Your best friend is drunk, wasted, and threw up on my clothes. Pick her up.” Jessica commanded.

Sooyoung sighed, “I would but I can’t. I’m in Jeju doing a cooking demo.”

Sooyoung owns a chain of restaurants. She is a well-recognized gourmet chef and has published a few cookbooks. The tall girl also occasionally appears on television.

“So what am I gonna do, huh? Leave her here?” Jessica gritted her teeth, feigning sarcasm in her annoyed voice.

“Listen, Jessica. Tiffany’s been through a lot lately.”

“I don’t care if she’s going through a lot, okay? I just want her out of my sight.” Jessica said annoyingly.

“Just hear me out, please?” Sooyoung pleaded.

“Fine.” Jessica huffed.

Sooyoung paused for a second and said, “Her business partner ran away and took all the money and left Tiffany with billions of debt. She thinks she can still save her company for her employees but it’s a lost cause.”

Jessica felt silent. She doesn’t know what to say on times like these.

“One more thing, her two-timing girlfriend of eight years broke up with her. That took Fany’s apartment and all other stuff in there and kicked Tiffany out.”

They were both silent for a while. Jessica, trying to grasp all the information in and Sooyoung hoping for the other to understand.     

“Please take care of her, Jessica. Just this once until I get back. Tiffany doesn’t have other people to lean on to, you know? And she doesn’t want to come home to her family ‘coz she thinks she’s a failure.” Sooyoung was practically begging Jessica by now.

Sooyoung was about to think that Jessica would refuse her but the brunette answered with no choice.

“Just this once.” And Jessica ended the conversation. She’s mastered the art of hanging up.

After the phone call with Sooyoung, Jessica placed Tiffany’s phone back to her purse.

“I am the most unfortunate person in the planet.” Tiffany whispered to herself. She had her head bent low and her hair covered her face. She was occasionally sniffing and wiping her snot-covered face with her arms. Jessica wants to comfort the other woman but she chooses not to. Instead, she takes the box of tissues on the table and tossed it to Tiffany.

“Wipe your face with that. You look very ugly when you cry.”

Tiffany laughed a hollow one, “Maybe I am that’s why I’m this unlucky.”

“You are not unlucky, you’re just drunk.”

And Tiffany laughed again, more real this time. Jessica felt like curving her lips at the sight but she caught herself and went back to her straight, uninterested face. She can’t understand why Tiffany still got this effect on her. Jessica can’t also understand why she felt like helping Tiffany even if she tries not to.

Feeling a bit awkward at the absurdity of the situation, Jessica started to head out of the room to regain her composure.    

“Where are you going? Are you going to leave me too?” Tiffany asked innocently.

Jessica felt something heavy on the inside; she just can’t pinpoint what it is. But then she remembered what Tiffany did to her eight years ago and she felt infuriated.

“I’m just heading out to see how the business is going. I’m not like you, Tiffany, I don’t abandon people…specially when they’re so dear to me.” Jessica spat the words with venom.

Tiffany looked lost. She was not used to Jessica’s sudden shift in behaviour. Tiffany knew what Jessica was talking about and she was sorry for it.

“Look, I’m sorry, okay? I didn’t mean to do that to you! How many times should I apologize? What happened that day was a mistake.” Tiffany tried to defend herself as she stood up to look at Jessica in the eyes.

“Enough!” Jessica shouted and immediately opened the door, slamming it hard as she went out.

Tiffany was left in the room, sobbing even harder. She took hold of the box of tissues and threw it away from her.

“I’m sorry. I am so sorry.” She kept repeating to herself as she sat on the floor crying her heart out.

 

----

 

Yuri was sitting quietly outside her boss’ office, reading an article on the newspaper about a young businesswoman’s company going bankrupt. She was so engrossed at reading that she didn’t notice Jessica approaching.

“You are not payed to slack off.” Jessica said as she sipped her coffee.

Yuri stood up immediately, acknowledging her boss and bowed politely. “I’m sorry, CEO Jung, please don’t fire me.” Yuri stated in an animated voice trying to make fun of Jessica.

Jessica made an uninterested face and Yuri felt relieved because she knew she was still going to keep her job. They both entered the office and Yuri reminded her boss about her schedules for the day. Jessica shooed her off but then Yuri’s curiosity got it the way.

“What happened last night, Sica?” Yuri asked.

“There’s nothing to tell, Yuri. Now go away and be productive.”

“You’re voice turned an octave higher. You’re obviously lying.”

“Just go away, I don’t feel like talking.” Jessica said dismissively.

Yuri backed away, thinking hell would be unleashed if she pried even more. She was just concerned about her boss/best friend. Being the understanding person that she is, she kept shut and headed to the door.

“Oh, and one more thing.” Jessica said. Yuri turned around and saw Jessica’s serious face. “Get me everything we have on Styl TH.”

Yuri left Jessica’s office with too many questions in mind. Why on earth would her boss be interested on her enemy’s company?

 

----

 

Tiffany woke up with a massive headache. She shielded her eyes from the blinding morning sun coming from the window.

“Where am I?”

She tried to lift herself up from the couch and looked at her surroundings.

This isn’t my room. She thought to herself and started panicking. She searched for her clothes and luckily found them still intact on her body. Her head was throbbing really hard and she found something on the table beside her. It was a glass of water and a round white pill that looked like an aspirin. She took it and drank the water with no hesitation. She was extremely parched and hungry. The thought of last night’s events came to her like a huge wave crashing down the shore. She suddenly remembered everything and her headache got even worse. She’s starting to think that the aspirin doesn’t work and it was a fake. 

Laying back on the couch, she closed her eyes again hoping to forget what happened.

Tiffany hates waking up with a hangover.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I still want to hear from you guys. Please drop a few comments :)