Chapter 10

False Pretense

This update came in really late, I know. I got really busy with stuff and I am deeply sorry. 

*hides in the corner and cries*

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jessica woke up earlier that her usual schedule. If this was her room, she’d sleep in and skip breakfast until Yuri calls her and wakes her up.  But this isn’t her room and her body knows this fact too. She lazily sat up and stared at nothing in particular, zoning out a bit and waiting for the fog of sleepiness to dissipate on her brain. Finally, her bladder signals her to do the deed and she got up and walked straight to the bathroom.  

Jessica opened the door with her head bent down when she heard a sudden shriek making her temporarily deaf.

“Get out! Get out! Out! Out! OUT!” Tiffany shouted at the now awake Jessica. The girl was struggling to cover her bare self with her arms.

The brunette looked up and saw (with her animatedly round eyes) all of Tiffany in her glory, wet and ultimately . Jessica’s mind told her to stop staring and to leave immediately but her body was unresponsive. It took her quite some time before realizing what she was doing.

“Yah! I said, GET OUT!” Tiffany shouted once again, pulling Jessica back to her senses.

“What are you so angry about? It’s not like I haven’t seen THAT before.” The brunette pointed at Tiffany and acted cool despite feeling hot on the inside.

Tiffany’s face turned as red as a tomato and threw a soap on Jessica, once again shouting for the other girl to get out. Luckily, Jessica dodged the soap successfully and closed the bathroom door.

Despite her chill appearance, Jessica was totally freaking out. Her heart was beating so fast. Her mind went back to how she saw Tiffany’s silky white skin (and how soft would it feel if she touched it), how the tiny droplets of water slid down on her curves and how she looked so hot with her flustered face.

‘Wait, did I just say she’s hot? What the , Jessica. Wake up!’ Jessica scolded herself and went downstairs to cool her head off. She was afraid that Tiffany’s image would linger on her mind if she can’t distract herself soon.

 

 

It was a lazy morning for Kwon Yuri. She was expecting a lot of work especially without Jessica around but her boss already did all of them before she left. Jessica was always several steps ahead and Yuri’s still amazed as to how she does it.

Yuri was walking around the office building when she saw someone familiar talking to the concierge. She was tall and skinny, her wavy bob was swaying as she was animatedly talking to the attendant. Her brown jacket was dangling on her arm and she was carrying a plastic bag. Yuri slowly walked and approached the woman.

“You’re Choi Sooyoung right?” Yuri asked the other girl.

The tall girl looked and replied, “Oh hi, uhm…”

“Kwon Yuri. Jessica’s gorgeous secretary.”

Sooyoung raised a brow, “Are you always this cocky?”

“Well, technically I don’t have a so…nope. I’m not cocky.”

Sooyoung smiled and tucked her hair on her left ear. “And you make lame jokes too. Wow.”

They both laughed and Yuri caught herself staring too much at Sooyoung. The former cleared and took notice of the plastic bag the other girl was carrying.

“What’s that?” Yuri points at the plastic.

“Oh, it’s for Fany. I baked too much cookies and it’s a shame if I eat them all by myself so I thought of bringing her a few.”

“I don’t think Fany will eat that.”

Sooyoung looked offended. “Why wouldn’t she? My pastries are really tasty and they’re the yummiest in the world!”

Yuri realized the misunderstanding and explained herself, “No, it’s not that they’re not delicious. Tiffany can’t eat them because she went home to LA with Jessica. Didn’t she tell you that?”

“Oh.” Sooyoung looked apologetic. “Maybe she did tell me but I forgot.” She laughed.

Yuri nodded and was staring at the plastic bag of pastries when a thought suddenly occurred to her.

“You know it’s a shame that you’re cookies will go to waste. You’ve made so much effort coming here. What do you say we eat them together instead?” Yuri smiled. She was feeling reluctant. “That’s if you’re not busy at all.”

Sooyoung beamed a huge smile and held Yuri’s arm all of a sudden and Yuri was taken aback.

“Let’s go!” Sooyoung said enthusiastically and dragged Yuri towards the exit.

“Wait! Where are we going?” Yuri asked a bit confused and flustered.

 

 

“Boss, this isn’t working. All of them were a bunch of bozos!”

“You’re right, Ed. Wait, I think there’s blood coming right out of my ears.” Sunny tilted her head to the side and shook it violently. She then sighed and messed up her hair in frustration.

Not long ago, Sunny decided to open up a new club. She wants it to be different, away from the stereotype of loud music and frantic dancing. She envisions it to have a different identity, something with a calmer atmosphere and extraordinary music which people can be relaxed and comfortable with.

It was Jessica’s idea to turn it into a jazz bar. Sunny agreed knowing it was her best friend’s favourite music genre and going against her suggestion would be futile.

So far, they got everything ready down to the venue, renovations, employees and the live band. The only problem now is a singer. And somehow the audition is not going too well.

“We have one final participant enlisted here. I’m calling her up now.” Ed, Sunny’s secretary informed.

“I’m gonna lie down a bit.” Sunny placed her head on the table and closed her eyes. This audition drained so much energy from her already.

“Are you gonna stay like that ‘til the end?”

“Call the person now, Edison.” The short girl instructed him.

The last person came on not long after Ed shouted next. She was wearing an oversized denim jacket and was about Sunny’s height with a slightly longer hair. Her eyes were sharp and her smile was bright. Sunny still had her head on the table, clearly losing all the interest in the audition.

“Hello, everyone!”

The two of them were greeted by an overly enthusiastic greeting making them flinch. Sunny was both envious and annoyed at the girl’s high spirits.

“So, it says here that you were a singing major and whoa, you even did a few openings for concerts and sang demos to idols.”

“That’s true.” The girl nodded and smiled.

Ed looked at his boss who was still unmoved and decided to carry out the audition alone.

“You have very promising credentials but why do you want to be a club singer?”

The girl smiled once again and answered, “Because I want to start fresh.”

Ed had a confused look but continued asking the girl.

“So, what do you do on your previous job?”

“I didn’t have a permanent job. I was a freeloader and I don’t wanna be like that anymore.” The girl looked down to her feet and fell silent.

“Okay then. Show us what you got.”

The girl cleared and started singing in low notes. Her singing was so perfect and the vibrations were consistent. Sunny’s ears perked up upon hearing the girl’s voice but she still remained unmoved on her spot. She closed her eyes and immersed herself to the song. Instantly she felt something familiar about it. She knew she had heard the voice somewhere but she can’t remember when and where. The strange feeling of recognition was bugging her but she brushed it off and focused on the song instead. She felt goosebumps upon the song’s . The girl’s voice was just so perfect and powerful that she almost tears up.

Sunny wished the song never ended.

Ed stood up and gave a standing ovation. “That was excellent! Amazing, powerful, majestic, brilliant!”

He nudged Sunny and asked, “She’s definitely the one, right boss?”

“Hell, yes! What’s your name mis—“

Sunny looked up on the other girl and didn’t get to finish her sentence. She just stared at the person with wide eyes like she’s seen a ghost.

“Hey, Soonkyu! How long has it been, huh?” the other girl smiled with eyes also as wide as Sunny’s.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So what do you guys think? ^^