Chapter 8

False Pretense

Thank you so much for subscribing and leaving a comment. Seriously, you guys are so awesome. I don't even know why you even bother reading this trashy fanfic LOL

I don't know if I wrote this one succesfully but here you go...

 

 

 

 

 

“Sooyoung! I’m glad you came.” Tiffany called out to her tall best friend who was so busy gobbling muffins.

“Well, I’m just glad to make it out alive from those zombie reporters.” Sooyoung spat while sipping her coffee and munching another chocolate muffin, spilling crumbs everywhere.

Tiffany looked at her barbaric best friend with disgust. No matter how many years they’ve known each other, she still can’t get used to seeing her like that.

“You have a little something on your chin.” Tiffany pointed her finger on Sooyoung’s muffin-smeared chin.

“Here?”

“No. A bit on the left.”

“Is it gone?”

“Ugh!” Tiffany groaned and wiped the muffin crumb.

“Thanks. They serve great treats for their guests. I like it here.” The hungry giant smiled in satisfaction and contentment.

“How’d you know I was here anyway?”

“Jessica called me.”

“She did?”

“Yes. That’s why I’m here now aren’t I?”

Tiffany sat beside Sooyoung and made herself comfortable.

“So tell me, when’s the wedding date?” Sooyoung asked.

Tiffany sighed and lowered her head down. “We still haven’t talked about it.”

The tall girl final stopped munching and lowered her half-eaten muffin as she spoke to Tiffany with utter seriousness. “Are you really sure about this, Fany?”

“If you’re gonna start nagging at me, I’m gonna close my eyes and ears like a kid and pretend you’re not here.”

Tiffany demonstrated the act and made incoherent noises as she closed her eyes and placed her hands on her ears.

“What are you, 5? Stop being so immature!”

Sooyoung pried her best friend’s hands away from the latter’s ears and began tickling the dark haired woman.

“What if your mother finds out?” Sooyoung asked worriedly.

“She won’t find out. You won’t tell her, right?”

The women’s conversation ended short as they heard a knock on the door. Jessica peered her head before she went inside followed by Yuri and Sunny.

“Great. Everyone’s here.” Jessica said.

“Tiffany, Sooyoung! It’s been so long.” Sunny greeted cheerfully as she hugged both of the girls she mentioned.

“Yeah, and you still haven’t grown an inch.” Sooyoung laughed as she hugged back.

Sunny broke the hug and slapped the tall girl on the arm.

“And you still don’t have manners.”

The shorter girl looked at the spilled crumbs all over Sooyoung’s shirt before continuing.

“And I see you’re still the same old barbarian foodie I met in college.”

“Yah!”

“Stop it, you two.” Jessica said sternly.

The two women who were opposite in height stopped their insults. Tiffany giggled at their reactions. Yuri, on the other hand, was slightly amused at the scene. She felt that the atmosphere in the room was light and playful. She knew all of them were from the same university and was thinking that maybe they were from the same circle of friends. She knew very little about her boss’ past but she never heard of Jessica having any other friends besides Sunny. She was dying to know more about this group of people.

Yuri cleared , making Jessica notice her presence.

“Oh, I’d like you to meet my secretary Kwon Yuri. She’s a great friend of mine too.”

Yuri bowed her head and smiled cheerfully. “Nice to finally meet all of you. I’d like to say I’ve heard a lot about you guys but my boss is not exactly the chatty type.”

All of them laughed except for Jessica who was frowning.

“Anyway, I have something to tell everyone.” Jessica said while motioning the others to sit.

All of them sat and listened carefully. Tiffany was seated beside Jessica while the others were seated on the other side of the table.

“We’re all ears, Sica.” Sooyoung encouraged the brunette to continue while getting a hold of another muffin.

“As you may already know, Tiffany and I are going to get married and I want you guys to support us.”

“You mean, lie with you?” Sooyoung spoke up and placed her half-eaten muffin on the table.

“Just for a little while, Sooyoungie.” Tiffany said.

The tall girl faced Tiffany, “And you’re backing her up? Now you really seem like a couple.”

Jessica clenched her fists. She was starting to get annoyed.

“Calm down, will you? It’s not like we have a choice. They’re our friends.” Now it was Sunny who voiced out her opinion.

“I’m just saying, what if this absurd idea gets out of hand? What if somebody else finds out and leaks it to the public? What would you do to regain your credibility, huh?” Sooyoung was furious now.

“That is why we’re asking you to help us to avoid all the what-ifs.” Tiffany defended herself and Jessica too.

The CEO was quite shocked to hear the words ‘we’ and ‘us’ from Tiffany’s mouth. She doesn’t understand why she felt good hearing it.

“I’m not one to beg but please, we need you support.” Jessica was asking sincerely now.

Sunny sighed and had a worried expression, Sooyoung was lost in thought as she anxiously pounded her foot on the floor and Yuri had a troubled look. All of them were weighing things carefully; conflicted between supporting their closest friends while being involved as accessories to the crime.

Tiffany carefully observed all of their reactions and then at Jessica whose face was unreadable. The tension in the air was obvious and the silence was deafening.

Finally, it was Yuri who spoke up first.

“I’m in. Since Jessica is my boss and she signs my pay check, I don’t have much of a choice. So, I’m in.”

Jessica glared at Yuri and the latter smiled apologetically.

“Fine. I support you guys too. Just be sure to be responsible. Use protection for se—“

“Yah, Soonkyu! What the hell are you talking about?!”

Jessica stood up and made a fist at the short girl. Tiffany on the other hand, was blushing madly.

“I’m just saying.” Sunny reasoned out.

Jessica suddenly felt hot despite the full blast of the air conditioner. She cleared and answered, “We’re not even gonna go there, so shut up.”

Yuri was biting the insides of her cheeks to avoid laughing loudly. She looked and winked at Sunny mischievously.

Tiffany, who was still as red as beet, faced Sooyoung.

“What about you, Sooyoungie?”

The tall girl stopped tapping her foot on the floor and sighed.

“I just hope you guys know what you’re doing otherwise, I wouldn’t approve of this.”

“So it’s a yes then?” Jessica asked.

“Only because you begged and looked hilarious when you blushed.”

Yuri can’t hold her laughter any longer and laugh noisily. Sunny followed her and Sooyoung smiled too. Tiffany let out a sigh of relief as she leaned back awkwardly on the chair while Jessica closed her eyes, also feeling a bit relieved.   

 

----

 

It was past ten in the morning when Tiffany arrived at Jessica’s office. She received a call from her fiancé early in the morning, saying that they should both be seen together when they face the public. Today was going to be the day they face the reports and make their engagement official. Of course she was nervous but if she were to quit now, she just doesn’t lose her company but also her reputation.

“You’re late.” Jessica welcomes her with a straight face.

“Well if you were that disappointed, you could have started without me.”

Yuri cleared and excused herself, “I’ll go get the reporters ready.”

The secretary left the room and Jessica straightened out her outfit. She looked stunning as always even with a simple button-down blouse and white slim jeans. Tiffany, on the other hand was equally gorgeous with her white long sleeved lace top and a pleated mini skirt.

Tiffany exhaled, releasing all the nerves on her system and faced Jessica, “They’re gonna ask questions.”

“Yes.” Jessica nodded.

The pretend couple headed straight to where the reporters were settled. Tiffany’s nervousness satiated a bit thanks to Jessica’s firm grip on her sweaty hand. Jessica hated facing the crowd but she had to pull this off successfully. She put on her mask and warmly greeted everyone.

“Thank you for being here despite inviting you on short notice.” The CEO smiled apologetically.

The reporters instantly flashed their cameras. It was as if a thousand thunders were happening one by one and it was blinding. Tiffany almost demands for her heavily tinted sunglasses.

The couple settled down, sitting very close together that their shoulders and elbows were almost touching. They haven’t been this close in so long and both of them felt awkward.

A greasy-faced female reporter asked first, “Are the two of you officially getting married?”

“Yes.” Jessica replied.

“Then why don’t we see rings on your fingers?”

That was quite an observation from the greasy-faced lady. Jessica and Tiffany obviously didn’t see that coming. They should’ve been more prepared.

Tiffany thought of a great alibi and reasoned out, “I asked the same question to Jessica but unfortunately, she’s too busy to buy me one. And besides…” Tiffany looked at Jessica, “I don’t need a ring ‘coz I already have Jessica’s heart.”

Smooth move, Hwang.” Jessica made and approving look at her fiancé. Though she almost squinted her eyes at the cheesy remark.

“Does that mean CEO Jung was the one who proposed?” Another reporter asked.

Jessica opened to speak up but Tiffany beat her to it.

“Of course! I can’t forget that desperate look on her face.” The eye-smiling woman pinched the other girl’s cheek, “Though you looked so cute back there, honey!”

‘What the hell are you doing?’ Jessica laughed awkwardly while viciously piercing icy glares at Tiffany.

“How did the mighty CEO Jung propose?”

“Well, it wasn’t really that romantic. We were casually having dinner and I just popped out the question. That’s it.” Jessica said.

“Oh, but you’re missing out the fun parts, babe.” Tiffany said.

It was easier to make up things now, somehow she finds this interview thing amusing. Back in college, Tiffany was an amazing writer and she participated on several story telling contests. She thinks that this interview is one of them and carefully constructs the right scenarios to narrate.

Jessica scrunched her eyebrows at Tiffany. She didn’t know what the latter was talking about.

Tiffany breathed in and dreamily narrated, “Actually, Jessica played a song for me. I knew something was up when we came to the restaurant. We were the only people in there and the waiters were cheerier than usual. That night, she was extremely nervous when she played the piano and sang but it was romantic nonetheless…with rose petals and candles on the stage, it was perfect.”   

 Jessica’s mouth was slightly parted. The crowd was listening intently.

“After the song, she dropped on her knees and said, ‘Tiffany, I have loved you then and I still love you now. Please let me love you forever. Make me the happiest woman on earth and marry me.’ And then instead of a ring, she offered me a tiny pink flower. It took me quite some time before I understood the situation. She was actually proposing without a ring!” Tiffany laughed.

The crowd went laughing too. Jessica laughed with them, though very awkwardly.

“Then I said yes and accepted the tiny flower. I don’t know if she’s just being romantic or cheap. How can I reject her when she was on her knees like that?” Tiffany continued.

“I’m not cheap, I just want to find the best ring for her.” Jessica smiled.

Under the table, Jessica’s hand made it’s way to Tiffany’s knee and pinched it. Tiffany shrieked in surprise but immediately excused herself while she stepped on the other girl’s foot to get back.

“So how did the two of you meet?” Another reporter asked.

“We were from the same university and had the same major.” Jessica answered.

“And then?” The reporter questioned further.

“And then we hung out often and became friends then eventually became lovers.”

“So, you’ve been together since then?”

Jessica paused for a while before answering, “No, we broke up before we graduated. It was Tiffany who decided to leave.” There was a hint of bitterness on her tone.

“And it was the biggest mistake of my life.” Tiffany looked at the other girl with sincerity.

Jessica was almost convinced at her. She missed looking into those clear brown orbs of hers and was about to get lost on them when she stopped herself.

“But you still left without saying anything and broke me down into pieces.”

“But I’m here now, aren’t I?” I’m here and I have no plans of going anywhere away from you again.”

The reporters were touched by the couple’s banter and found it cute and romantic.

Jessica on the other hand, only felt anger. Anger towards Tiffany for blurting out things like that convincingly and anger towards herself for slightly getting her hopes up and believing all the lies Tiffany made up.

“May we know how the two of you broke up?”

[flashback]

Jessica was catching up to Tiffany, struggling to keep her books together on her arms. Her blonde hair was flying all over when she ran. The blonde never ran for anyone but it was Tiffany she was running after and Tiffany wasn’t just anyone to Jessica.

“Hey, Tiff wait up!” She panted. “Wanna go see a movie later? I just finished my exams and I’m done with my papers and—“

“Jessi, stop.”

“Why? Don’t you like watching a movie? Okay, maybe we could just have dinner at the usua—“

“Jessica.” Tiffany sighed tiredly. “I can’t do this anymore. Let’s break up.”

The blonde looked dumbfounded and she froze on the spot for a while but laughed, thinking her girlfriend was just messing with her.

“You’re not a great actress, Tiff. Stop it.” Jessica said nervously.

“I mean it, Jessica.”

Jessica was starting to get scared now. Tears were gathering under her eyes and suddenly dried and clamped up.

“Are you for real?” Jessica choked. She never thought this day would happen. Sure they weren’t getting along these past few weeks but she knew they were still madly in love with each other. All along, she believed that their relationship would go on forever, if that exists.

“Yes. Goodbye, Jessi.”

And with that, Tiffany left, not even turning her face back at Jessica.

Jessica fell down on her knees and thought her world was over. Tears came crashing down on her pretty face and pain was all she felt. It was like she was run over by an overspeeding ten-wheeler truck on a highway. She can’t breathe. She held her chest like it was her life, it felt like a thousand elephants were rampaging and stomping all over her heart, it felt so heavy.

The devastated Jessica looked at the way which Tiffany went and saw a short girl waiting for her. She remembered her name was Taeyeon, one of Tiffany’s bowling buddies. A few weeks ago before their fights, Tiffany kept saying about an amazing girl who apparently ‘excels at everything.’ Her (ex)girlfriend met the other girl at a bowling alley and they kept seeing each other since then.

Tiffany hugged the shorter girl and they left together, holding each other’s hands.

Jessica had never felt so betrayed.

[end of flashback]

 

“No.” Jessica said abruptly.

Tiffany felt the urge to speak up. She was sensing a bit of resentment from Jessica and wanted to defend herself to clear things out.

“I left Jessica for someone else. That time, I was really selfish, thinking only of myself and my happiness was my priority. Now I realized that I was wrong and I regret leaving her.”

Tiffany held Jessica’s hand under the table and said, “I won’t leave you again.”

Jessica felt nauseous. She felt sick of the sweetness on Tiffany’s voice yet she felt so warm. She knew she had already moved on but Tiffany’s words felt too real that she might just fall for it again.

Luckily, a reporter asked another question, “Miss Hwang, is it true that you are only marrying Miss Jung to get your company, Styl TH back?”

“That’s not true.” Jessica answered with finality.

“So, when is your wedding day? Do you already have plans about it?”

The pretend couple looked at each other briefly.

“Well, we were thinking that the date would be three or four months from now.” Jessica answered.

“We haven’t talked about the details yet, but we’re very excited about it.” Tiffany added.

“Do you plan to have kids in the future?”

Jessica coughed at the question. She hated kids while Tiffany, on the other hand was very open about it.

“Yes, definitely. Right, babe?” Tiffany asked Jessica.

“That is if you’re carrying the child.” Jessica replied.

Everyone laughed at the remark. Tiffany only pouted.

“How many kids would you want?”

“Five!”

“One.”

 

They both answered on the same time and looked at each other then laughed awkwardly.

“We wouldn’t mind having five kids, don’t we?” Tiffany was taunting Jessica to say yes.

“Uhm…sure?” Jessica was quite unsure of her answer. She was not the one to be bossed around by people.

“Wow. Looks like CEO Jessica Jung has finally met her match!” A random reporter voiced out loud.

The crowd laughed at the statement. Both Tiffany and Jessica laughed along with their awkward smiles, silently praying that they were good enough to convince everyone with their act.

“Miss Jung, since you and Miss Hwang are to get married, what will be the future of Edges by J and Styl TH?”

Jessica replied, “We’ve decided to go along with our own businesses. Each of us have different companies but we will be working hand in hand together. We will be supportive of each other’s projects and activities.”

Another reporter was about to ask a question when Yuri intercepted. Apparently, the interview was over. Both Jessica and Tiffany were extremely busy people so they had to cut the press conference short. The couple left the room wishing they made a great act convincing the reporters. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Got you a glimpse of JeTi's past. YAAAY! ^^