Chapter 9

False Pretense

Hi guys I'm back! I know it's been so long since I last updated and I apologize for that. Work got in the way and...and I'm running out of ideas. lol

Anyway, I think this chap's long enough to compensate for the time I've been away.

Here you go!

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tiffany looked at her phone and noticed the time, it was getting late. She was obviously tired but she still had tons to do in the office. She missed this, working late like a busy bee. Finally she got her company running again, thanks to that deal. Suddenly her mind drifts off to a certain brunette. She recalls her expressions during the interview, the way she silently protests at Tiffany’s statements and the touch of Jessica’s hands on hers. Tiffany felt unusually warm and fuzzy on the inside. She was so lost in thought that she didn’t notice her phone ringing. It was vibrating vigorously that it fell from her table.

Tiffany cursed, picked it up and wiped the screen. She got 3 missed calls from her mother. Tiffany immediately called back. It only took one ring before her mother picked it up.

“Mom, what’s up?”

“Hwang Miyoung! You need a lot of explaining to do!” her mother screamed.

Tiffany held her phone a bit farther away from her ears, “So you’ve seen the news, huh?”

“Why didn’t you tell us about it? Don’t we deserve to know?” Her mother was much calmer now.

“Mom, I was about to but then I got busy. I’m sorry.” Tiffany explained.

“Well, get your sorry here in LA and explain!” she was screaming again now. Tiffany swears her mother is bipolar.

Tiffany sighs in resignation and said, “Yes, mom.”

“Bring Jessica too. I miss talking to that kid.”

“She’s no longer a kid and she’s really busy. You know I can’t just take Jessica with me.”

“Don’t you ever love your mother anymore? It’s just a simple request dear, is it so hard to fulfil?” Tiffany’s mom was obviously faking a sob. 

Tiffany sighed, “Okay, mom. I’ll try.” And then she hung up.

Tiffany leaned her head on the chair. Her mom was a great actress, she should learn from her.

 

----

 

“My mom wants to see you.” 

“Yeah? Is she coming here in Korea?” Jessica asked Tiffany without even bothering to look at her.

 “No, we’re coming over to her.” Tiffany answered.

Jessica dropped her fork with a loud clanking sound on the plate. They were at Jessica’s favourite restaurant having a nice dinner. At least, that’s what they were planning to show the public. They thought that frequently seeing each other and being together was a great idea for their scheme. Of course, they smiled and were occasionally touchy with each other to make things more convincing.

 “What?! I can’t just leave work and go to LA.” Jessica shouted silently, not wanting to make a scene.

“Well, she wants to see you. She was practically begging me to ask you to come with me. I swear she misses you more than her own child.” Tiffany scoffed. “And besides, it’s about time I introduce my fiancé to my family.” Tiffany continued.

Jessica was silently weighing her options. Tiffany has a point. If she went with Tiffany, their ‘relationship’ would be more convincing. And her fiancé’s right, they should be properly acquainted with each other’s families.

“When are we leaving?” Jessica finally agreed.

“Tomorrow.”

“I’ll get the jet ready.”

 

---

 

They arrived at the airport and were shocked to see reporters snapping photos of them. Jessica makes a mental note to check the newspapers later and find out what the public thinks of them.

Tiffany catches up to Jessica and held on to the latter’s arm. They both stopped their tracks as Tiffany fixed Jessica’s hair (which doesn’t need that much fixing) and whispered, “They are everywhere, better put an act.”

Jessica nods and beamed her brightest smile as Tiffany assists her with her luggage. They walked close together until they were welcomed by Tiffany’s mother.

“My kids are here! Come on and give your mother a hug. That goes out for you too, Jessica.” A slightly older version of Tiffany envelopes the couple with a bear hug.

“Mom, too tight!” Tiffany protests.

Jessica just smiled at the older lady and said, “It’s been a long time, Aunty Emily.”

“Oh, Jessica, please just call me mom. I don’t mind, really.” Emily flashes her eye-smile at Jessica who was embarrassed at the suggestion. Jessica looked at Emily and imagines Tiffany looking exactly like her after a couple of more years.

“I know you guys are tired so let’s go home. I cooked a nice meal for you.” She held Jessica by the arm and said, “I even cooked you your favourite meal.”

“I missed your cooking, Aunty. Err..I mean, mom.” Jessica awkwardly laughed.

“You’ll get used to it.” Jessica earned a pat on the back from Emily. “Don’t worry dear, I didn’t prepare any cucumbers for you.” The older lady winked at the brunette.

Jessica smiled genuinely for the first time today and thanked Emily. Tiffany on the other hand was just watching the two of them. Somehow she felt left out.

Tiffany cleared . “Mom, your biological daughter is here. Aren’t you excited to see me?” Tiffany asked.

“Stephanie, be a dear and place your luggage on the car, okay?” Emily looked at Tiffany.

The car trip to the Hwang’s was loud but it was a nice kind of loud. Emily mostly did all the talking and occasionally asked Jessica a few questions about anything. Jessica was tired but she was happy to oblige talking to Emily. Tiffany, on the other hand was moping and she was silent for the first time.

Not long after, they finally arrived at the Hwang’s place. The residence was big, simple and homey. They were welcomed by Leo, Tiffany’s older brother and Michelle, her older sister. Leo squeezed the couple into a tight hug and high fived Jessica.

“Haven’t seen you in so long, Jess! I miss kicking your in basketball!” Leo greeted.

“That’s cute, Leo. You can’t even dribble a ball properly yet.” Jessica smiled.

“You, smart-mouth!” Leo laughed and ruffled Jessica’s hair. Jessica laughed along with him.

“Nice to have you back here, Jess.” Michelle hugged the other girl really tight. “We sure missed you.”

“I miss you guys too.” Jessica told them with all honesty. She sure missed this, the warmth and affection of a family. She used to frequent here at this place when she and Tiffany were still together. College in Korea was stressful to both of them, especially because Tiffany misses her family so much. So they made sure to come here often on vacations. Jessica practically lived here before.

“Okay, that’s enough. I bet you guys are tired and hungry. Let’s go have some dinner!” Emily ushered her kids inside the kitchen.

They headed straight to the kitchen. Dinner was served and they were all smiles while chatting occasionally. All of them talked about random things and caught up with each other. Leo was teasing Tiffany about how she slept right next to Jessica’s used shirt to avoid having nightmares and how she often talks about Jessica like she’s a god.

“It’s true! I even saw her kissing your picture good night before she slept. I swear my sister was weird.” Leo shared to everyone.

“Shut up, Leo! Why are you making up stories?” Tiffany defended herself despite blushing like a tomato.

All of them laughed heartily, even Emily was teasing Tiffany now. Jessica was amused and she smiled too. She smiled a lot and Tiffany was finding it hard to stop staring at her. The dark haired girl almost forgot how charming and breath-taking her fiancé actually looked like when she smiled like that. 

“I really thought you were into boys, sis but if you’re gonna end up with Jessica, then I don’t mind.” Leo continued while drinking his glass of wine.

“I’m so glad it’s Jessica you’re marrying, dear. You’re lucky to have her. If you make her cry, you will surely get it from me.” Emily raised a threatening finger to her daughter.

“Why do I feel like I don’t belong here?” Tiffany grumbled to herself.

Everybody in the dinner table laughed at the remark.

“Welcome to the family, Jessica.” Michelle raised her glass for a toast. “Here’s to Tiffany and Jessica’s successful marriage and to a joyful road to forever.”

“Cheers!” They all held their glasses up and drank the wine.

There was a build-up of heavy feeling on Jessica’s chest. She suddenly felt sick and nauseous. It bugged her so much that she can’t let go of it easily. Seeing the Hwangs this happy was sickening and she can’t help but feel guilty. She would never want to hurt them but she had no choice. It was too late to stop this charade so she had to finish what she started.

Right after dinner, Jessica stayed in the kitchen and tried helping Emily with the dishes. Emily declined but the brunette was persistent so the older lady relented. The others were catching up in the living room.

“Jessica, thank you.” Emily blurts out while cleaning the table.

“For what?” the brunette asked with curiosity.

“For getting back with Tiffany and for choosing to stay.”

Jessica fell silent. Her conscience was still bugging her and she can’t find the right words to say.

“When the two of you broke up, Tiffany was never the same. She dated another girl and I had a feeling that she’s up to no good.”

Jessica just stood on her place and listened intently.

“I believe that girl’s name was Taeyeon. They’ve been together for several years yet Tiffany had never invited her over.” Emily continued.

“Maybe because both of them were busy, Auntie.” Jessica reasoned out.

The older girl glared at Jessica and the latter immediately realized her mistake.

“I mean, mom.” Jessica corrected herself.

Emily was almost done with the dishes, “Maybe. But you know what, call it a mother’s instinct or whatever but everytime she talks about Taeyeon, her eyes felt…empty.”

Jessica just hummed. She was trying to be as neutral as possible.

“But that’s all in the past now. What’s important is that you’re together now.” Emily ended with satisfaction.

Jessica, who was still feeling guilty, tried changing the topic to avoid the somewhat awkward atmosphere. She knew she had to leave.

“It’s getting late. I should get going. Thank you so much for the lovely dinner.”

“Wait, where are you going?” Emily asked Jessica curiously.

“I actually had a hotel reservation.” Jessica replied.

“That’s nonsense! You can stay in Tiffany’s room. I already had it prepared.” Emily suggested.

Leo, who heard the conversation, joined in. “Yeah, it would be like the sleepovers you did back then but with a major twist and with lesser restrictions.” He winked at Jessica. The wink made the brunette uneasy and nervous.

Emily turned to Tiffany who was cautiously eyeing Jessica. “Stephanie, you don’t mind sharing your room with Jessica, don’t you?”

“Uhm, no, Mom. It’s fine with me if it’s fine with Jessica.”

Jessica looked at the Hwangs and they were expecting her to say yes. The brunette had no other choice so she relented and agreed to stay.

“Perfect! Now go and rest. Good night, you two.” Emily said. The rest of the Hwangs also said their good nights and retreated to their own rooms.

She and Tiffany will be sharing a room together again. The last time they did sleepovers was years ago when things were less awkward and everything seemed perfect.

They both went up to Tiffany’s room silently with Jessica holding their luggage. Tiffany opened up her room and Jessica seemed unaffected by the amount of different shades of pink. Tiffany’s room hadn’t changed much. Jessica thought it was sort of the same as it were years ago. She roamed her eyes around the room and suddenly memories came flooding in her mind. She tried not to think of them but she’s not very successful. She hovered her eyes on the closet and remembered rummaging over Tiffany’s wardrobe to dress up and pretend to be fashion models. Her eyes then drifted to a guitar on the corner and remembered teaching Tiffany how to play it. There were too many memories in this place and all of them were dreadful for Jessica. 

“Out of all the people who went inside my room, I gotta say you’re the least affected one.” Tiffany said.

“Maybe you don’t bring that much people into your room.” Jessica replied and Tiffany blushed at the remark.

Jessica was slightly amused at Tiffany’s reaction and cleared , “Where’s the mattress?”

“Right beside the closet.”

“I can set it up while you shower first.”

“Okay.” And Tiffany went to shower.

After Tiffany washed up, she saw Jessica already lying on her made up bed and slightly dozing off to sleep. Tiffany found it cute but she still called out to her and told her it’s her turn to shower. Jessica sat up and got ready. The brunette was about to head to the bathroom when she saw Tiffany wearing her night gown. Jessica caught herself staring and unconsciously swallowed that huge lump on at the sight.

“Like what you’re seeing?” Tiffany teased the other girl.

“No. You’re kinda blocking the way.” Jessica replied. 

Tiffany felt off and moved out of the way. The dark haired girl thought that Jessica was interested at her for a second. She brushed the thought immediately and began drying her hair.

Inside the bathroom, Jessica held on to her chest. She had never felt so nervous in her entire life. Seeing Tiffany wearing nothing but a thin transparent fabric made her heart thump really fast. She was sure lucky to get out of there alive. Jessica tried thinking of something else but she starts drifting back to Tiffany and her night gown. She was going crazy and she doesn’t understand why.

After taking a shower, Jessica wrapped her body with a towel. She got so distracted that she forgot to prepare her sleeping outfit. ‘Stupid!’ she thinks to herself. Just then she heard Tiffany shuffling from the bed.

“There’s a pair of shorts and an oversized shirt in the table. You hated wearing pyjamas, right?”

Jessica could only mutter a small thank you. She somehow felt glad how Tiffany remembered small details like this.

Jessica wore the outfit and she was comfortable with it. She positioned herself on the made up bed and prepared herself to sleep. Today was a long and tiring day and she can’t wait to head straight to dreamland. Though she was doubting if she could sleep soundlessly tonight. Being in the same room with Tiffany bothered her so much. She tried closing her eyes and focused on trying to get some sleep.

 

[flashback]

They were on their summer vacation and the girls had nothing better to do. Jessica and Tiffany decided to hang out on the latter’s room and were sprawled on the floor with their thick books and paper readings scattered everywhere. It was a bit farfetched to do school work on a vacation but Jessica somehow convinced Tiffany to do it anyway, saying it was the best thing to do for their future. Jessica kept her focus on Asian architecture history while Tiffany sat next to her playing with her pen. She had already given up on studying and was bored to death. Suddenly Tiffany had a bright idea.

“Jessi.” Tiffany called out to the other girl while poking her cheek.

The blonde only hummed without looking at her. Tiffany wasn’t satisfied at the reaction she got thereby repeating the same gesture.

“Jessi, look at me.” Tiffany pleaded and pouted.

Jessica rolled her eyes at the other girl’s antics and replied, “What now, Tiff?”

“How well can you see without your glasses?” Tiffany asked curiously.

“Not very well. Why?” Jessica answered while getting back at her book.

“Just asking.” Tiffany had a mischievous tone on her voice and smiled at herself.

“Okay.” The blonde said while silently flipping the pages of the book she was reading.

Tiffany stood up and stealthily went behind the other girl. Slowly, she positioned her hands on the blonde’s face and suddenly removed Jessica’s glasses. Jessica was surprised at the sudden attack and immediately stood up, struggling.

“No fair, Tiff. Give that back.” Jessica held her hand out to Tiffany’s blurred figure.

Tiffany giggled and faked a hurt expression.

“No, Jessi. You give way too much attention on your books that you forget about me.”

“But it’s for our future! We can play later.” Jessica tried approaching Tiffany but the latter started running.

“Stop running, Tiff! I’m in a huge disadvantage!” Jessica screamed at the other girl while running after her with her arms raised forward, struggling to keep herself from tripping.

They were giggling and running around in circles when Tiffany tripped on a piece of paper. Luckily, the bed caught her as she fell face down. Jessica on the other hand, was right behind Tiffany and also didn’t see the papers scattered on the floor and fell right on top of Tiffany. The dark haired girl grunted at the weight on her back so she shifted and was now facing Jessica.

Jessica couldn’t see a thing properly due to her vision impairment, so she just closed her eyes on the impact. She didn’t see what caught her, all she knew was that it was soft and warm. She opened her eyes and were met by Tiffany’s curious ones. The other girl stared at Jessica with a mixture of wonder and amazement.

“You look so pretty with no glasses on, Jessi.” Tiffany said in a hushed voice.

Jessica blushed at the remark. She was totally aware of their extremely close proximity. She can feel the other girl’s breath on her face and the warmth emanating from their bodies. Though she can’t see very clearly, but she knew Tiffany was slightly blushing too.

“Uhm, thanks Ti—“

Jessica didn’t finish her sentence. She didn’t close but she seemingly can’t talk. Then she realized that Tiffany’s lips were on hers. Her best friend Tiffany’s lips were on hers. Tiffany was kissing her. Wait…what?! Tiffany was actually kissing her!

Jessica’s eyes went round with shock and stood up immediately. She held her lips and her chest, her heart was beating way too fast.

“What was that?” Jessica knew what that was but she needed Tiffany to confirm it.

Tiffany avoided eye contact with Jessica and said shyly, “Lips.”

They were both out of words, still finding it hard to understand what had happened. Jessica knew it was wrong to kiss her best friend and they were both girls for goodness’ sake but why did it feel so right? Tiffany sat down on her bed and felt guilty. She knew she should’ve not done that. She should’ve stopped herself but she can’t help it. Everything happened so fast.

“I’m sorry, Jessi.” Tiffany said apologetically.

Jessica sat with Tiffany on the bed. She was desperately trying to think straight despite what happened. Oh, the irony. The blonde was shocked, sure, but she can’t deny the fact that she liked it. And she wondered if Tiffany liked it too.

“Did you…like it?” Jessica asked shyly.

Tiffany bowed her head down and replied, “Would you hate me if I said yes?”

“No. That’s what I wanted to hear.”

Jessica held Tiffany’s hand shyly and together they stared at each other goofily. Jessica read in books and saw in movies that first kisses are always the most perfect and memorable ones. And she confirms that with Tiffany.

 

[end of flashback]    

 

 

i love you readers and i love it more when i hear from you..

comments? ^^