Chapter 4

False Pretense

Jessica was walking on the hallway, her heels clacking loudly against the floor. She was wearing a casual office look with black jeans topped with grey men-shirt and of course, a black blazer. She was accompanied by her dark-haired secretary who was equally as gorgeous. They weren’t models or anything but they made the simple hallway a fashion catwalk and people can’t help but turn their heads on the two gorgeous ladies. A few employees walked to them and greeted Jessica politely.

“Boss, your meeting with the Japanese investors will be at 10. They were asking for the proposal.” Jessica’s secretary informed her while eyeing her tablet.

“Kwon Yuri, will you stop calling me that?” Jessica annoyingly told her secretary. “I have the proposal already. All we need to do is convince them.”

They both continued walking until they reached the CEO’s office. Jessica opened the door and held it for Yuri to follow.

“But YOU are my boss.” Yuri rolled her eyes as she tried to reason out with Jessica.

Jessica glared at her. Yuri raised her hands in defeat.

“Fine. Whatever you say, uh…bro?” Yuri tried smiling to lighten up the mood. Her boss on the other hand dropped off the glare and sat down on her chair.

Jessica picked up her pen and wore her eyeglasses. It’s time for her to get to work. “Call Jiyoung for me, I need the budget analysis for the new hotel building in Seoul. I can’t have her failing this simple task again.”

Yuri nodded and asked, “Do you still need anything?”

“I’ll call you when I need you.” Jessica dismissed Yuri without even looking at her. The former was already too busy with work and it wasn’t even noon yet.

Yuri left without a word. She got used to this sight already. The Jung was addicted to work like it’s the only thing in the world she’s so good at (next to sleeping). It’s been years since Yuri had started working for Jessica. Yuri was Jessica’s most trusted employee (and basically her family), given that the former was there when Jessica was still starting to build her empire. It wasn’t easy, Jessica’s journey to the top, but somehow she managed it. Who knew that her boss would turn out to be one of the most successful architects and richest businesswomen on her generation? Yuri knew Jessica wasn’t the most outgoing person on earth (and not the best boss in the planet) but she can feel Jessica’s warmth and dorkiness beneath the icy façade.   

“Oh , I forgot,” Yuri blurted out loud. She was supposed to go back inside Jessica’s office but she got lazy so she picked up her phone instead and dialled Jessica’s number. She was waiting for the other line to pick up.

Jessica answered the phone after a few rings. “And you’re calling because?”

“Sunny invited us over a few drinks after work since we never got to hang out together ever since you got back. She’s going to pick us up.” Yuri informed her boss.

And Yuri was greeted with the monotonous beeping of the dial tone. She knew it was a yes from Jessica.

 

----

 

Jessica hated clubs and parties but she liked the drinks. She was never into loud, blaring electronic music and she had an utmost distaste for sweaty men trying to flirt with her. Her two friends on the other hand, were (obviously) more outgoing. Both of them were enjoying the music and the attention from the male (and female) population. They were casually talking about how Sunny dumped her most recent boyfriend.

“And I thought he was a pretty decent guy.” Yuri stated a bit dumbfounded.

“He was, until he started smelling my socks and shoes.” Sunny made a sickening expression and both of them laughed.

Sunny took her drink and looked at Jessica. “How about you, grumpy? Had any action lately? How was States by the way?” 

“Why are you asking too many questions? Am I on a talk show?” Jessica asked.

Yuri poked her boss and reasoned out, “But you’re doing the same thing.”

All of them laughed except for Jessica. Just when all the laughter had died down, Jessica started giggling. Her two friends looked at her and then to each other and smiled.

“Some things will always stay the same.” Sunny told Yuri and they both understood.

Yuri diverted the topic and raised a finger, “I’ll tell you what happened.” She was addressing to Sunny while looking so serious. “Jessica got married.”

Sunny’s eyes were wide in shock and her jaw went all the way down to the floor. Jessica was glaring at Yuri and was preparing to give her a beating when Yuri suddenly shouted.

“With work! She’s definitely married to her work.” Yuri spat as she was desperately trying to defend herself from Jessica’s deadly attack stance.

Just when Sunny was about to comment, a woman seated at the bar started shouting at the bartender. She was swaying her body uncontrollably and pointing an accusing finger at him.

“Why can’t you just give me the damn drink?! I’m a VIP here and I don’t deserve this kind of treatment!” The woman was slurring her words and looked undoubtedly very drunk.

“Miss, please don’t make a scene. I can’t give you the drink because you’ve already had too much.” The bartender was trying to calm the woman down. People were starting to stare at their direction,

The intoxicated woman was even more furious and slammed her hands on the table, earning a flinch from everyone near her.

“Let me talk to your boss!”

Two muscular men started approaching her and held both of her arms. The woman protested even more and shouted, “Let go of me you freaky muscled beings! I’m a valued costumer! A VIP! Where the heck is the owner of this place?!”

The scene pretty much got everyone’s attention. All eyes were staring at the scandalous drunk woman. Even Yuri, Sunny and Jessica were listening too.

“Isn’t that—“ Sunny didn’t get to finish her question because she doesn’t need a confirmation. They all knew who it was.

“She wants to talk to you, man.” Yuri told Sunny.

“But I’m just the manager. I don’t own this place.” Sunny stated and then looked expectantly at Jessica.

Yuri followed Sunny’s gaze and saw Jessica staring at the scene with a poker face. As the club’s owner, Jessica did what she had to do. She emptied her glass and stood up.

“You guys go ahead. I have a scandalous drunk costumer to take care of.”

Sunny and Yuri looked at each other, worry evidently seen on their eyes.

Jessica went straight to where the ruckus was and stopped a few steps away from the two muscular men. The bartender who was freaking out with sweat on his forehead saw her and felt immediate relief. He bowed in respect to the Jung and the two muscular men followed suit.

“You wanted to speak to me?” Jessica asked calmly yet hinting a superiority on her voice.

Tiffany, who was the drunken woman, suddenly stopped struggling from the hold of the muscular guys. She can’t believe her eyes. Tiffany stared at Jessica as if she was the weirdest thing on earth.

“Why are you everywhere?” She managed to whisper despite slurring her words.

“I own this club.” Jessica answered while gesturing her men to let Tiffany go. She also faced the sweating bartender and ordered him to continue serving drinks to other costumers. The crowd subsided slowly and Tiffany Hwang was still in shock. She is starting to believe that the alcohol in her system was jeopardizing her sanity. She must be really drunk to think of Jessica Jung standing right in front of her.

“So what is it you wanted to talk about?” Jessica asked Tiffany.

Tiffany gulped and suddenly felt sober. Now she wants to drink all the more. She was fighting the urge to invite Jessica to drink with her and maybe have a little chit chat.

“Well…I demand for that bartender to fill my request and keep the drinks coming for me.” Tiffany said while pointing at the unsuspecting bartender.

“I think you’ve had enough.” Jessica stated as-a-matter-of-factly. She was still as calm as ever.

“Are you kidding? Do I even look drunk in your eyes?” Tiffany asked Jessica while gesturing at herself, seemingly unaware of how her voice went up a few decibels higher.

Jessica raised her brow at Tiffany and scoffed. Suddenly Tiffany felt sick. She stood up, struggling with her balance and held on to the table. Jessica was fighting the urge to help the intoxicated Tiffany and kept her distance. Tiffany made a few gagging noises. Jessica, who was worried about Tiffany throwing up and spilling vomit on her club’s precious floor, approached her and said viciously, “Don’t you dare.”

Jessica held Tiffany by the arm and was leading her to the washroom when suddenly Tiffany made one final gagging motion and vomited right on Jessica’s jacket all the way down to her pants.

“Oops.” Tiffany made an apologetic look and smiled at Jessica.

“That’s it!” The now full of vomit Jessica was fuming with anger and if this were a cartoon, steam would be seen blowing off from her nose and ears.