Chapter 3

False Pretense

Tiffany was fumbling over her purse, obviously stressed and agitated. She was on her way to work when her car suddenly broke down in the middle of the road. She found her phone and dialled her girlfriend’s number. She was silently praying that Taeyeon would pick up the phone despite their fight a few days ago.

The night after the reunion, Sooyoung took Tiffany to her apartment. Tiffany knew Taeyeon went out partying again but she was hoping her girlfriend would be there to comfort her. Tiffany tried waiting for Taeyeon to arrive but she fell asleep on the couch. Tiffany woke up the next morning only to find her girlfriend sleeping soundly inside the bathroom, hugging the toilet and reeking of alcohol. Tiffany tried waking the girl up but she was only answered with a grunt.

Tiffany loves Taeyeon (and their eight years of being together was the proof of that) but she was past her boiling point. She filled a bin with cold water and splashed it all on Taeyeon. Taeyeon woke up immediately and became furious at Tiffany. They both started shouting and fighting until Tiffany got tired and stomped off the apartment. It has always been like this between the two and Tiffany’s afraid of losing everything she has – her company and her girlfriend.

Unfortunately today, her calls were again sent to voicemail, much to Tiffany’s luck. She was losing her mind and got out of her car.

“Stupid car!” she slammed the door, kicked the wheel and flinched in pain. “Stupid life.”

She was fighting back her tears as she thought of how unlucky she was with all these unfortunate events.

 

----

 

“Hey, Sunny, I’m heading over to your place now. I’m on my way.”

“But Sica, I can’t—“

Jessica hung up right after she called her best friend. She was feeling unexpectedly fine today for unknown reasons. She originally thought of wasting her day staying on her apartment doing more important stuff like sleeping but she figured a little sun won’t hurt. No matter how much she hated the city, she kinda admits that she missed this place. She especially wanted to keep herself busy to keep her mind off a certain girl.

Just when she was nearing Sunny’s place, she saw a woman sitting on the sidewalk with her head faced down between her knees. Jessica turned her eyes on a nearby car and figured everything out.

Jessica realized who it was and tried ignoring what she saw. She faced back on the road and went past the car but a sudden feeling was forcing her to turn around. Jessica doesn’t want to but her insides were bugging her.

“Oh, it.” And she made a U-turn, knowing fully well that she will regret ever doing this.

 

----

 

Tiffany already gave up. She stopped praying to the heavens for a divine intervention knowing that no one could ever help her. She heard a car stop nearby and footsteps getting louder. Tiffany figured it was just her mind mocking her and playing tricks on her thus, she paid no interest on her auditory hallucinations.

Still keeping her head down, she heard a voice, “You and your car look like a mess.”

Tiffany recognized that voice right away and lifted her head up. “It’s you.” Tiffany was shocked and let out a sigh of relief.

Jessica opened up the hood and inspected the engine, tinkering a few bolts and keys a little. Tiffany had no idea what Jessica was looking at. Seeing Jessica all too focused in trying to figure out what’s wrong with her car was amazing. Something weird started stirring up inside her. Tiffany continued watching Jessica as the latter took her phone off her pocket and began calling someone. Jessica hung up after a few seconds. Tiffany was staring too much that she didn’t hear Jessica talking to her.

“Hey.” Jessica shouted. “I said your clutch cables are broken. It may take a while to fix it. I called my men and they’ll take care of this.”

Tiffany went back to her senses and quietly said thank you. She wanted to say so much more but she had no idea what to say. She was ready to sit back on the sidewalk when Jessica suddenly blurted out (or more like commanded), “Get in my car.” And Jessica went straight to her car without looking at Tiffany.

Tiffany blinked a few times and realized the situation. “But I can’t leave my car here.”

But Jessica already got inside the driver’s seat and started the engine. Tiffany got her purse and followed suit, fearing Jessica might leave her alone in the middle if the road.

When they both got inside Jessica’s car, Tiffany can’t help but feel conscious. She was welcomed with a saxophone solo and a soulful bass on the stereo. Jazz music. Tiffany suddenly felt her heart grow heavier. ‘This is Jessica’s favourite music genre’ Tiffany thought to herself. 

“Where to?” Jessica asked casually albeit hinting coldness in her voice.

Tiffany looked at Jessica’s side figure, mesmerized for a few seconds. The latter’s hair was tied in a messy bun which Tiffany thought was really y. Her skin looked so soft and she had to fight the urge to touch her. She looked so much like an angel…but colder and scarier.

“It’s not like you to space out.” Jessica blurted out, still focusing her eyes on the road.

“I’m sorry.” Tiffany replied. “Can you please take me to my office?”

Jessica made no answer and continued driving. Tiffany began feeling uneasy. The thought of her and Jessica alone in the care made her feel nervous. She hasn’t felt this way in a long time. Tiffany kept fidgeting in her seat and suddenly found her fingers interesting. She doesn’t want to speak up (despite her being talkative) but she was really curious about Jessica.

“It’s been a while, huh? How have you been?” Finally Tiffany spoke up while stealing a glance at Jessica.

Jessica did not answer. It was as if she did not hear anything.

Tiffany knew better. She took the hint and kept shut. The ride to Tiffany’s office was quiet and the atmosphere was so thick, a butcher’s knife couldn’t even slice through it.    

The car stopped right in front of Tiffany’s building. Tiffany unbuckled her seatbelt and faced Jessica.

“Thank you for helping me out, Jessica. What should I do to repay you?” Tiffany asked.

Jessica looked straight ahead and gripped the steering wheel tighter, “Nothing. Just get out of my car.”

Tiffany was taken aback. She was expecting Jessica to be cold and indifferent but she never thought it would feel like this. It was like there was a sense of finality in her tone but still, Tiffany was persistent.

“I could treat you for coffee if you want. You’ve been away for so long…we could, you know? Catch up for good time’s sake.” Tiffany trailed of the last part and was feeling a bit hopeful. She doesn’t know why but she felt…desperate.

“Aren’t you getting off my car?” Jessica asked with a mixture of annoyance and sarcasm.

Tiffany relented and got out of the car and Jessica drove off right away.

Tiffany watched Jessica go.

“Why does my heart feel so heavy?” Tiffany asked to no one in particular.

She thought the heaviness in her heart would go right after their interaction but she was wrong. Her heart got unexpectedly heavier.

 

----

 

“The hell took you so long, Sica?” Sunny asked while opening the door for her best friend.

Jessica went inside Sunny’s apartment and plopped herself on the sofa. “I did…something.” She exhaled loudly and closed her eyes.

“Let me guess, does this have something to do with—“

Jessica looked at Sunny with soft and apologetic eyes, “I did something wrong, Sunny.”

Sunny pursed her lips and slapped her best friend in the arm. She positioned herself right next to Jessica. “You should let me finish first before you cut me off.”

Back in college, Sunny remembered Jessica as one of the most talented in the campus. She was shy and awkward but she had a lot of friends. Everybody loved Jessica Jung, even the school janitor liked her. Her skills in music were top notch and she was one of the smartest in class. Until something tragic happened in her life which took a great toll on her. Jessica started shutting people off her case and did most things alone. She became extremely cold and her ‘friends’ left her because of the sudden change of behaviour. Right after college, Jessica left and no one ever knew how she has been since then, no one except Sunny.     

Jessica held a couch pillow and hugged it really tight, “I ran into her when I was on my way here. Her car broke down and I took her to her office.”

“Wow, look at you trying to be her knight in shining, er…car.” Sunny joked.

The brunette said nothing and just sighed. “I swear this is the last time I’ll ever do that again.”

Sunny just looked at her best friend. Somehow she felt like Jessica was going to eat all of her words later on.